Cannot

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

Kim is staring at the chocolate Pie gave her last Monday.

I remember telling her about Japanese and Korean tradition during Valentine's Day. So, what was she implying when she gave me this?

She ran her hands over her scalp as she plops down her bed. It's Friday night and the plan of taking Pie out was ruined because the latter had invited a friend to have dinner at her place. The idea of Pie being alone with him at the moment is killing Kim.

Uuuugh. I'm such an idiot for even thinking that they were only friends!

She knew it, the moment she saw them walking the other day, that there was something different about them. She just never thought that she'll get all the answer sooner.

But the conversation she had with Yam earlier somehow gave her temporary peace. Yam has a point, and Kim knows herself that she felt it too. Pie has something for her and Kim needs to find out how big or small that something is.

Should I really talk to her now about it?

---

The weekend passed and the two still haven't talked to each other yet. No one made an attempt to do the first move. And Kim, who thought she'll be better this time, was tortured even more. It went worse because Mike started to drive Pie every morning and picks her up every afternoon.

Kim’s just faking a smile whenever Puey and Jane talk about Pie's love life. Those two are so excited for their friend. There are days when Kim sees Pie's empty chair and Jane will just tell her that Pie and Mike went out for lunch or he picked her up early.

Not wanting to hear more about it, Kim tried to stay away from that team and busied herself in tennis instead. She put all her efforts in every practice in hopes of somehow forgetting her drama for a while. There's no point lingering on it anyway because she'll suffer more. Besides, she's got a competition to worry about and that's where she should focus now.

---

Friday – 6:17 pm

It was after a week of avoidance when Kim and Pie ran into each other in the hallway. Kim is about to go home that time and Pie is walking back to her station from the restroom.

Both stopped walking abruptly at the sight of each other.

Kim isn't sure what to do, to ignore or to say hi. There are only a few people left in the office that time, a reason why Kim can't just simply say she didn’t notice Pie.

It was Pie who smiled first. "Hey."

Kim pulls the strap of her bag over her shoulder, trying her best not to melt. "'Sup?"

"Good. You?"

"Likewise." Kim turned her attention to Pie's table saw the PC still . "Overtime?"

"Yeah. Got deadlines to meet. You were on OT too?"

"Yeah, just finished wrapping things up."

Then there was silence.

Kim is staring at Pie now and all she can think of is how much she missed this girl.

"Um... so... you're going home now or tennis practice?" asked Pie.

"Home. No tennis today. You?"

"Just finalizing few more things."

"Umm, would you... do… do you have a ride home…?" asked Kim, her palms staring to sweat.

Pie fiddled her fingers and stood there looking down. "Umm, he's going to pick me up in a while..."

"Oh, um... yeah... um... so... I better go ahead now…" said Kim, scratching her head.

! Stupid! Why did I even ask that! Ugh!

Kim is somehow expecting that Pie would say something, maybe stop her or what, but the latter didn’t. Instead, Pie moved aside to give way.

"Bye," said Kim, walking away from that area.

"Uh, Kim?"

Kim closed her eyes first, realizing how much she missed hearing Pie call her name. She turned around. "Yes?"

"W-we're cool, right?"

"Y-yeah... why…?"

"I don't know. It just feels like something’s off lately," said Pie, bringing her hand to her necklace.

"Off with what?" asked Kim, pretending to have not any idea.

"With us?"

Kim scoffed to herself at Pie’s usage of “us”.

"Were you avoiding me?" asked Pie.

Kim cleared . "No. W-why would I avoid you?"

"I don't know. It just feels like you've been far away these past few days..."

"I was just busy with tennis stuff and you're busy too, right?"

"Right."

"Nothing to worry about, okay?" said Kim, pulling the strap of her bag over her shoulders, ready to turn away. "I really have to go now."

I don't even want to see him pick you up here.

"Do you have a spare time for a quick coffee?" asked Pie, making Kim halt.

Kim put a hand to her waist as she turns back.

What do you want, Pie? Why are you doing this to me?

She took a deep breath and stared at Pie back for a long while before she nods.

---

They went to the small coffee shop down the office and sat across each other.

"So what's up?" Kim asked after sipping from her coffee.

Pie narrowed her eyes and stared at Kim. "I'm just curious, by any chance, are you mad at me?"

"Why would I be mad at you?"

Pie shrugged, still waiting for Kim to give her answer.

"I'm not. I told you we're cool, right?" Kim lied, still trying to pretend that she's not affected at all. However, there was a look on Pie that she cannot decipher. Is she worried? Is she troubled?

"Then why are you not wearing your necklace?" came Pie’s response.

Kim scratched the tip of her eyebrow after realizing that she's wearing a v-neck shirt, exposing her clear neck and collarbone.

After what happened last week she never wore that necklace again. It just reminds her of the false pretense she had built her hopes up for.

"I-I just left it in my locker yesterday after the practice," said Kim.

"Left it? You have not been wearing it for a week now, Kim," said Pie in a matter-of-fact tone.

Kim groaned inside. "And your point?"

"I just want to know if there something wrong with us."

Kim smiled at Pie's usage of “us” again. "No, we're fine."

"We're fine? But why am I feeling that there is something going on?"

Kim took a deep breath and looked away. "Maybe you're just over thinking."

Pie leaned back having a disappointed look on her face. She eventually eyed her cup and touched it with her fingertip.

"Maybe I am. I guess you're through with me being your pastime, huh?" whispered Pie.

"Pastime? No, Pie. You got it completely wrong…"

"Then what's wrong? Why do I have the feeling that despite being physically close now we're seemingly worlds apart?"

Kim stared at Pie directly, mouth ajar. She knew that the more she avoids this confrontation the longer her misery will be. Maybe it's time to let it all out now. Maybe it's time she finds out what she really means to Pie.

"You really wanna hear the truth?" Kim breathed out.

Pie immediately reached out for Kim’s hand. "What's bothering you, tell me."

Kim’s eyes landed on their hands first before she turned to look at Pie. "You."

Pie’s eyes widened. After having a hard time to think of what to say, she looked down and slowly pulled her hand away.

"I know that you know that something special is going on between us, right?" asked Kim, pushing it further. "Tell me, what am I to you?"

“A friend…” said Pie, her eyes darting tensely around the room.

"A friend," said Kim calmly, tapping her fingers on the table. "So, does that mean that I misunderstood everything you've showed me?"

"It's... it's not like that, Kim..."

"Or were you just playing on me, pretending that I am special?"

"No. I'm not that kind of person. I would never do that to you…"

"So, what do I really mean to you?"

Pie pinched her nose and sighed. "Kim..."

"Just help me understand the meaning of your actions. How should I interpret your affection towards me? Is it the same sweetness you're showing him now?"

It was obvious from her looks that Pie was having a struggle. "I can't, Kim. I… can't…"

"What do you mean you can't? Do you have feelings for me?" Kim finally asked it straight.

"I don't know. I'm confused, okay?" said Pie, bringing her palms to her face. "And it doesn't matter even if I do because I still cannot be with you!"

That was a hard blow. Kim had to lean back on her chair to be able to contain it. Yam was right about the confusion. Maybe Pie is really struggling inside. However, it is evident now that whatever or whoever caused her confusion there's no way she's going to pick Kim in the end.

"I get it. Don't worry," said Kim, making invisible patterns on the table. This battle is already lost right even before it started. Pie never wanted to fight alongside her in the first place.

"I-I'm sorry, Kim…"

Kim shook her head. "No, don't be. At least I know now where I stand. No more expectations this time."

Out of the blue, Pie's phone beeped. She checked her message and replied to it.

"You like him, right?" asked Kim, knowing whom the message came from.

"Kim... please..."

"I'm sorry, I won't intrude again." Kim raised her hands up.

Pie wanted to say something but her phone beeped again. She read the text message and looked up to Kim.

"I'm sorry... my ride's here. I have to go," said Pie, standing up.

Kim nodded in approval. "Enjoy your weekend, Pie."

"You too," said Pie before walking out.

Kim took another sigh when she saw a black car stopping in front of the entrance. Pie glanced at her before going inside. Kim watched the black car drove away.

"."

Kim lightly banged her fist against the table. She covered her face with her palms, struggling to stay in one piece. She pulled out her phone from her pocket and dialed a number.

Brrr... brrr... brrr...

"Hello?"

"Dude, where you at?"

"I just drove Jane home. I'm going to the bar. Why?"

"Is there anything you would recommend drinking tonight?"

"Something wrong, dude?"

"Pie and I had a quick talk just now."

"And then?"

"It's over, dude."

"Oh boy."

---

Prrrrt!

The referee's whistle echoed in the area signaling the start of the new set. The opponent will be doing the service this time as Pii and Kim wait for the ball.

"Are you okay?" asked Pii.

"Yeah. I'm just a bit dizzy but I’m fine," said Kim.

Truth is she totally regret drinking last night because it’s affecting her focus right now. Kim was not contented being drunk last Friday, after telling Zee what happened, so she went to the bar again last night and tried to enjoy herself like the way she used to.

She met a couple of acquaintances and partied like there's no tomorrow. She woke up this morning on Zee's couch having a terrible hangover. Of course, she never told Pii about the real reason for her headache.

"You sure you still can play?"

"Don't worry about me, I got this. Oh, there they are!"

Tok!

Pii returned the ball with a forehand.

Tok!

The ball is bouncing back to them. Kim runs on the baseline and caught the ball.

. I almost tripped on that one!

Although she enjoyed partying last night, she still can't erase the heavy feeling in her chest whenever she's alone.

Is she feeling the same way like me now?

Tok!

The ball is rolling back to them. This time it was Pii who caught it.

What am I thinking? She's probably enjoying the weekend with him.

Tok!

. My headache's attacking again.

Kim is having a hard time following the ball with her eyes. The place is slightly spinning around her. Good thing she successfully returned the ball with a backhand.

Tok!

She doesn't know which is hurting more; is it her head or her feelings? Somehow the unpleasant feeling is still lurking inside her. It never went away. Not even once.

This time the ball was sent back to them at a speed that they didn't expect. Kim runs to catch it. She moved sideways in a swift, twisting her ankles until she felt that something is already aching. Even so, she pushed it.

.

Prrrrt!