Drunk

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

"Guys... I said... I can walk on my own.... No need to carry me.... Let go of me... now…" Pie commanded. Kim and Van were assisting her to walk, her arms draped around their shoulders.

As what Zee has told them, the drink tasted like an ice-cold chocolate drink. Everyone enjoyed it, especially Pie who kept on filling her glass as if she was not aware that it's a mixture of alcohol and other stuff. After an hour she became so talkative which lead them to think that she’s drunk and decided to take her home.

Jane, on the other hand, was having a good time with the bar owner. Zee volunteered to drive the lady home later by herself.

"Yeah, you could walk on your own," said Kim, trying her best to carry Pie, "but you keep on stumbling, you know."

"It's because... it's because... I can't feel my legs..."

Kim adjusted Pie's arms on her shoulders. "If you were feeling something strange about your legs earlier then why did you drink a lot?"

Pie tilted her head to Kim and drew her face closer before smiling. "Because... it tastes... soooooogoooood..."

Kim heaved a sigh. Even so, she can't help but wonder how Pie can still be so cute even when drunk. She might not have admitted it before but she's getting fond of this little girl day by day.

"Kim," said Van. He's tipsy but is not as drunk as Pie. "How far more is it…? I… I don’t remember where we… parked the car…"

"We're close, Van. We're now in the parking lot."

"Oh, good. My house is... is just around the corner. You'd have to drop me off first... then you make sure... to... drop Pie in her house, okay…?"

"Yeah, I'll do that."

"Thanks, man..."

Kim smiled to herself. This is the first time she had gotten out for a drink after a year of abstinence. It's undeniable that her source of joy that night is the wasted lady they are carrying now. It just pleases her to know more things about Pie. It makes her feel closer to her. She volunteered to drive them home because she doesn't want to leave Pie alone with Van.

Pie keeps talking about random stuff while they walk to the parking lot. Upon reaching the car, they assisted her in the back seat. Van sat beside Kim in front. They drove immediately and reached Van's home first.

Pie looked out the window when she felt the car stopped. She squinted her eyes, observing the house in front of her. "So... this is... your place?"

"Yes, Pie..." said Van, getting off the car now.

Pie frowned and pouted her lips. "It doesn't seem to look like a happy house to me..."

Kim and Van laughed. "Let her be. She's drunk," said Kim, looking at the passenger behind.

Van placed his hands on the rolled down car window. "Thanks, Kim. I'm too dizzy right now. I should be the one accompanying her home."

"No worries. I enjoyed tonight by the way."

"Me too. I'll see you on Monday. Just ask Pie where her address is, okay?" Van pulled himself backward and waved goodbye.

"Will do, sir!" Kim gestured a salute and stepped on the accelerator.

Her familiar car looks like a different world now. Pie is on the back seat and Kim feels like her night had just started. She can see Pie from the rear-view mirror looking out the window.

"Pie...?"

 

Pie turned her attention to the caller and leaned forward to rest an arm against the back of the seat. "Yes, honey?"

Kim tried to hide her smile, afraid that Pie will notice it. "A-are you okay?"

Pie moved in closer, almost leaning her chin on Kim's shoulder. "Never been better! Just glad that the entire nuisance had disappeared now."

Kim doesn’t have any idea what nuisance Pie is talking about. "Could you tell me where your address is?"

"And why are you asking?"

"I'm driving you home so you could rest now."

"I don't want to go home yet, honey..."

Kim can't control herself blushing this time after hearing the endearment twice. "Where do you want to go then?"

"I don't know..." Pie reclined in the back seat, her hair covering her face. "Let's just stay like this for now."

When they reached the highway, Kim called Pie but the latter isn't answering anymore. Kim saw her passenger already lying down at the back. She had to stop to check if Pie is still breathing.

Kim opened the back door and tugged Pie's sleeve. "Hey, Pie, wake up..."

"Mmmm..."

"Could you tell me where you live so I could take you there?"

Pie didn't answer.

"Pie, c'mon..."

Silence.

Kim glanced at her wristwatch.

Oh, boy. I guess she's asleep. It's already 1:30 am and I'm tired.

She blew air from and scratched her head. She went back to the driver's seat and put on her seat belt.

Fine, I'm taking you to my place.

She tried to wake up Pie again when they arrived at the building parking lot. The latter didn't even move. Kim had no choice but to carry the drunken passenger up.

Jeez. She's heavier than she looks!

Good thing it's almost 2:00 am and there were no people around that time except for the security guards. She piggybacked Pie from the parking lot, to the elevator, to her room.

"Home sweet home," she murmured upon entering her room.

Kim went directly to the bedroom. She sat on the bed and gently disentangled the arms around her neck. Pie fell like a lifeless body on the bed.

"Honey..." Pie mumbled. "Where... are... we...?"

Kim turned to check on Pie. She can't help but smile on how the girl calls her. She laid on her side, head on her hand.

You're so beautiful.

"We’re in my apartment, Pie. You're not telling me your address. I don't know where else to go."

Pie moved, turning her whole body to face Kim. Her face covered by her hair. "Could you... buy me... a ramen tomorrow?"

Ramen? She's really weird even drunk.

"Yeah, I can do that."

"I've been... thinking of eating ramen for... a week now. I'm... craving... for it…"

Kim smiled to herself. Drunken or not, Pie is still adorable. They were silent for a while Kim enjoys staring at Pie. "Are you asleep?"

"No..."

"How are you feeling now?"

"Head... ache..."

"Can you feel your legs yet?"

Pie shook her head.

Although Kim can't see Pie's eyes because of her hair, she knows that her eyes are closed.

"Kim..."

"Yes?"

"Do you... like Jane…?"

It was a question out of the blue. "Well, she's fun to be with, so... yeah... I like her."

Pie didn't say anything nor move after that. Kim is starting to wonder if Pie is even aware of what she's saying now.

"Do you like her... more than me...?" Pie asked again.

Kim felt a little awkward about it. "Err... I like her in a way because she's so kind to me. But you, I like you even though you're not kind to me."

"So... which of us do you... really like? Me… or Jane…?”

Kim doesn't know what that question meant. She cannot control her herself anymore. Her right hand wandered on Pie's face, brushing the latter's hair behind her ears.

"I like you more, Pie."

I like you a lot.

Pie's exposed face now revealed her closed eyes. It's like she's just sleep-talking. "But you know Kim... I'm not... like Jane..."

"In what way?"

"I... I... won't fall for you..."

Kim's hands clenched. All her excitement drained. "I... I know that..."

"But... I do want to keep you as a friend..."

Kim didn't speak. A friend? Yeah.

"Kim?"

"Mmm?"

"Could you... please... stay by my side... always...?"

Kim moved back to face the ceiling.

"I will, Pie. I will."