Missed

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

"Were you the one who just called Kim?"

Although the question was intended for Pie to answer, Kim knew that she needs to say something too. May had the notion that the one calling her earlier was her girlfriend.

Kim shifted her eyes to Pie who's as speechless as her. She doesn't know if she's hallucinating or not, but Pie's eyes were focused on her and May's linked arms.

"Yes," said Pie, before Kim could even speak up.

Kim felt May's grip on her arm tightened. The three of them, including Dang, are now staring at Pie. It might not be that obvious but Kim was the most surprised of them all. Answering May's question like that could make the kid think that they are really an item.

"Yes, May, I was the one who called her," Pie confirmed further.

May looked confused. "So, you're the one Kim is supposed to go out with today?"

Kim swallowed something in . Yam said that if Pie will pretend to be her girlfriend again, it only means that she likes her.

"Yes," came Pie's response.

May looked back and forth to Kim and Pie, slowly removing her arm from Kim.

"We're supposed to talk about our new project," said Pie in her authoritative tone. "It's not like what you're thinking, May. It's a business meeting, not a date."

"Oh, I'm sorry," said May, bowing her head.

Kim was a bit disappointed but felt relieved as well because they could get rid of the intern now.

"But if it's about a task can I still tag along so I could learn more, Ms. Pie?" May, who seemed to have found another way to include herself in, asked them.

Kim brought a hand to her nape. Dammit! This kid doesn't really know when to give up.

Pie walked towards them. "Sure. But on one condition... we should bring along Dang too."

"Me?" asked Dang, taking out both his hands from his pockets.

"Yes," Pie answered, still in her bossy aura. "You're an intern too, right? You'll get something out of this so you should tag along."

"Oh, okay..."

Kim frowned and puffed her cheeks.

Great. My date has just been totally ruined.

---

Kim is disappointed. She's been missing Pie so much that she mustered all the courage to finally ask the girl out. It is also her way of gauging if something is wrong with the two of them, or if something has really changed.

Although she has no plans of confessing, Kim was hoping that the night would end like the how their nights ended in Pattaya: full of laughter, teasing, and just pure sweetness. However, all of those expectations are far from what's currently happening. Instead of waiting alone in her car for Pie, they are now walking together in the parking area along with two chaperones.

She felt heartsick when she saw May walking ahead of them, obviously aiming for the front seat.

Kim was punching her own thigh due to frustration.

Oh please, what could be worse? Having two chaperones with us while my supposed-to-be-date will be sitting at the back? Damn, I so hate this day!

Just as she thought, when she unlocked the car with her remote, May grabbed the knob to the front seat.

"Back seat," said Pie, approaching the car. "You better sit beside Dang."

Kim tried to repress a smile while gawking at the two ladies. May didn't object and went to the back seat immediately.

Sometimes her bossy aura has its perks, hmm.

"So, where to?" asked Pie after she shut the door on her side.

"Umm, craving for anything at the moment?" asked Kim.

"Not really. Can we just eat somewhere near so we could go home right after?" said Pie, busy buckling her seatbelt.

"Oh, yeah, sure." Kim pushed down the handbrake after starting the engine.

Great, this is just great. Ugh!

---

They had their meal in a Japanese restaurant. Like what Pie said, the meal was full of discussion and brainstorming about the next campaign they will be working on. Kim didn't enjoy much of it because she felt like they are still working instead of enjoying the Friday night. She was totally not in the best mood towards the end of their meal. She knew that after this dinner they are all going home. All her efforts ended in futile.

"Kim, are you alright?"

Kim blinked, barely heard what May asked her.

"Yeah, are you okay? You seem to be quiet," asked Pie, placing a hand on Kim's leg.

Kim's attention shifted to what Pie did. She looked at Dang and May, who were sitting in front, to check if there is a way they could see what's happening under the table.

Isn't it funny how a simple gesture like that from Pie could wake up all the nerves in her body? Kim secretly hoped that Pie won't move it away soon.

"I was just thinking of what to do after we go home," said Kim sadly.

Pie rubbed her thumb against Kim's thigh this time. "Why? You don't want to go home yet?"

Kim heart flutters with what Pie is doing. "I guess I just want more out of this night. I'm gonna be all alone in my apartment if we go home now."

Pie turned to the two interns, still not removing her hand. "I think we could go somewhere else after we drive home these two first."

Kim saw a gleam of hope with what Pie said. Could it be that they were thinking of the same thing?

But just as before Kim got too excited May spoke up, "We could still give you company. The more the merrier, right? Besides, it's Friday, let's go hang out somewhere else."

Not wanting to drag the chaperones with them, Kim protested, "Nah, you kids should go home now."

"Kids?" May cocked her head aside. "For your information, I'm turning twenty-two in two months. And you're like what, a year or two older than me? Dang here is twenty-three. We're graduating college after this internship. I don't see any reason why you two should consider us as minors."

Kim and Pie looked at each other, sighing. Pie rubbed her palm on Kim's leg signaling that she'll handle this. "Where do you guys want to go then?"

"Karaoke!" May enthusiastically answered, raising her clenched fists in the air.

"She's a frustrated singer, guys. You'd have to bear with her," Dang warned, earning himself a playful punch from May.

"What do you think?" asked Pie, turning to Kim.

Kim let out another loud sigh and stared at the two 'kids'. Dang had a whatever-you-want-to-decide look while May had those pleading eyes.

Kim finally gave up and raised her hand to assent. "Fine. I guess it's better than going home early."

---

They got a private room in a KTV restaurant and had a few shots. To their surprise, the interns were hard drinkers. Dang was a bit cautious though with his intake because he wants to look after May. The latter doesn't care how much she had already, ending up standing in front of the TV singing the entire period.

Kim feels relaxed this time, feeling much better because of Pie's sudden mood change. From the bossy aura she had when they were in the restaurant, she's now turned into a sweet Pie.

Kim somehow felt that Pie is warding her from May. Pie immediately sat beside her when they got into the room, even before May had done her move. Pie also shared food with her just like how they did in Pattaya. Although they were less sweet this time, it just gives her the feeling of going back to that memorable trip.

After few shots they had, which Pie had forbidden Kim to have anyway, May and Dang started singing nonstop.

"Don't you want to sing?" Kim asked Pie while they were slouching lazily on the couch, watching the interns singing duet in front of the TV.

Pie shook her head while reaching for the crackers. "Not in the mood to. You?"

"Nah, let them have the stage for themselves."

May and Dang were like kids playing in front, pinching each other while singing. They were laughing like crazy drunken teenagers. May turned to them quickly, signaling them to join. They both declined by shaking their heads.

"That girl is totally into you," said Pie, munching the crackers on her hand.

"That's not something I'm proud of..." Kim sighed.

Pie chuckled. "Not your type?"

"Hell no. Especially after what happened yesterday."

"Why? What happened yesterday?"

"Oh, well, umm... let's just say that she..."

"She...?"

Kim let out another sigh before admitting it, "She tried to kiss me in my car..."

"What? Seriously?" Pie quickly glanced at May, imagining how a girl with such demure image could be so aggressive. "Then what did you do?"

"I politely pushed her away." Kim gestured 'pushing' with her hands. "Good thing Yam called so I was able to make good excuse to drive her home early. Yam kind of saved my day."

"I was planning to call you too, you know."

"You knew I was with May yesterday?"

"Mmm-mmm. It was weird to see Dang going home alone so I asked him. Then I drag — I mean... we went to a coffee shop to talk. That's when he told me about his real feelings for May," said Pie.

Kim knew all about Dang's unrequited love for May since the first day the intern started. "Must have been hard for him yesterday."

"Yeah, he was in bad mood."

Kim cleared and adjusted her position on the couch. "You were planning to call me yesterday because you found out that I was with May?"

Pie nodded quickly. "I wanted to make sure you won't take advantage of May."

"Huh? Take advantage of her? Oh, c'mon, Pie, you know me better than that."

"Oh, do I? If I remember it right, you were flirting with the tattooed girl in Pattaya even though you're pretending to be with me, right?"

"Hey, princess, if I recall it correctly, the girl was indeed flirting with me but I did NOT flirt back. It was one-sided. You were just overreacting because you're jealous," said Kim, smirking.

"Jealous your face! That was just part of the acting, remember? I had to play the role. I had to be in character," Pie scoffed.

"Whoo... whatever... ow!" Kim was about to tease further when Pie pinched her arm. "Still feisty, aren't we? Ouch!"

"Yah, stop that already..."

"Hey, what's with the mug face, princess?" Kim poked Pie's cheek this time. "You know, credits to the creator above, I have to admit that a pout face suit you really well."

Pie glared at Kim but the latter knew it was meant just to scare her. Eventually, Pie gave in and smiled sweetly. Kim had totally felt at ease after seeing that smile, it's like nothing has really changed at all between them.

"Seriously, though, why do you want to call me yesterday?" asked Kim, supporting her head with arm against the backrest.

"I don't know..."

"C'mon, tell me, there must be a reason behind it..."

Pie scrunched up her face. "You'll just laugh at me..."

Feeling the burning curiosity firing up more, Kim made sure she'll sound sincere, "No, I won't, I promise."

Pie turned to Kim skeptically, raising an eyebrow.

"I promise I won't laugh." Kim put a finger on her chest and made an 'X' sign.

To Kim's surprise, Pie bought the 'cross-my-heart' thing. "I'm not sure how to say this but..." Pie paused, turning her face away from Kim’s direction, "maybe I just don't like the idea of you hanging out with her..."

Kim tried to repress her smile. "Umm, are you implying that you don't like the idea of May hanging out with me because I'm not safe to be with?"

"That's not what I meant, stupid."

"Then what?"

"I mean... shouldn't you be hanging out with your boss instead of her?"

"Ahhh," Kim gasped, chuckling. Just as when she thought that this night isn't getting any better, she felt like screaming already because she's overjoyed with this confession.

"Hey, don't laugh at me. It’s not like what you’re thinking, okay?" said Pie, turning her back to Kim.

I'm not laughing." Kim couldn't help but let out a soft laugh, amused by Pie's shyness.

"Yah! You just laughed, didn't you?" said Pie, covering her face with her palms.

"I'm sorry, you're just too cute when you're jealous. Why are y ou facing there? C’mon, look at me…"

"Don't touch me." Pie yanked Kim's hand. "And I'm not jealous!"

"Oh really? The boss ain't jealous, eh?" Kim leaned closer Pie's ear and whispered, "Hey, I missed you..."

Pie didn't say anything but Kim felt her shoulders moved.

"Hey, c'mon, say something. Don't you believe me?" asked Kim, squeezing Pie’s shoulders.

Pie went back to slouching on the couch, arms folded across her chest. "You missed me?"

"Yeah... it just feels like we haven't talked in ages,” said Kim, shifting her position to slouch beside Pie, their arms touching. “I missed talking to you like this. How about you?"

Pie's eyes were staring blankly at the two people in front of them, still singing like there's no tomorrow. Then she leaned her head against Kim's arm. "I guess I missed you too."

Kim pursed her lips to hold off her smile. "Umm, so what did you miss about me?"

"This. I missed being close to you like this," said Pie, tucking her arm under Kim’s.

Pie's arm was held out beside Kim's arm, their fingertips touching. After the obvious contact, Kim thought that Pie would move her hand away, but she didn't. Her hand just remained still like it's just waiting for Kim to grab it.

After getting such signals, Kim let her feelings take over her actions. She lightly brushed her thumb on Pie's thumb hoping that the latter won't tug it away. To her surprise, Pie returned the favor by rubbing her fingers against Kim's.

Both of them are now busy looking down at their hands playing with each other. After getting tired of the small game, Kim decided to plunge her fingers into the gaps between Pie's hand, which the latter didn't protest to, instead held her hand back tightly.

Kim's breath hitched with the audible smile she made.

"Why are you smiling again?" Pie looked up a bit, still leaning on Kim's arm.

"It's just that all this time I thought you were avoiding me."

"And all this time I thought you don't miss me." Pie buried her face back on Kim's arm.

"Where did you get that? I even asked you out tonight, right?"

"I know. It's just that sometimes I'm afraid of the thought that you don't want me around you anymore," confessed Pie, rubbing her free hand on Kim's forearms.

"Hey, that's never gonna happen. You've helped me a lot, remember?" said Kim. "We've been through something and I think a bond like that won't be easy to break." She looked up at the two interns in front. "I actually wanted to be alone with you tonight, just to catch things up. But I guess we're stuck with these chaperones."

Pie smiled at that. "You don't want them around?"

"It's not like that. It's just that I don't get the chance to go out with you like this every day. The only chance I got was today but it just flew away like that," Kim said with a sigh.

"You can just ask me out anytime."

"I'm afraid you'd say no."

"Why would I say no?"

"I don't know. I guess I still can't read what's in that mind of yours, princess." Kim lightly poked Pie's head.

"Well, you handled me pretty well in Pattaya, right? I don't see any reason for the hesitation."

"Does that mean that you'd like to go out with me alone in some other day?"

"Tomorrow would be great."

Kim smiled. "No chaperones?"

"Definitely no chaperons, just the two of us, like in Pattaya."

Kim brought Pie's hand between her two hands. "That sounds great."