Dude

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

Immediately after Kim closed the door from behind, her phone rang. She fished for her phone from her back pocket and her lips curved upwards when she saw the caller's name. She raised the phone next to her ear.

"Hey, dad."

Pie is currently in front of the closet, choosing what to wear for the dinner party. She purposely tried to stall arranging her stuff so she could eavesdrop more while hiding herself behind the closet door.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm already here in Pattaya…. Well, we arrived yesterday.... No, I'm with some friends and Nam.... Yeah, the Nam I introduced to you before, hahaha.... Yes, it's her birthday yesterday…. Sure, I'll tell her you said hi.... No, dad, hahaha, we're not together. She's actually with her boyfriend right now...."

Pie knew that at some point, Nam could’ve met Kim’s dad. However, it’s somehow surprised her to hear that Kim’s father is just okay with her preference.

"Jeez, you're crazy, dad. So, what's your plan for your birthday? Of course, I'll visit you.... Just tell me where you'll be and I'm going there.... Of course, of course.... Okay... I'll catch you later then.... Yeah, don't forget your dinner too.... Bye, dad... I love you too…" Kim ended the call. She put her phone down on the bedside table and went to the bathroom.

Pie was getting something from her duffel bag on the bed when Kim's phone rang again. Curiosity kicked in. Pie took that opportunity to peek at the caller while Kim is not around. She saw the familiar picture of Kim and Yam with Taipei 101 in the background.

Yam again? They must be really close. I wonder why Kim never mentioned Yam to me before.

She heard the flush in the bathroom and the door creaked open. Pie hurried to pretend doing something.

"Oh, is that my phone?" Kim strode to pick her phone quickly. "Hey, Yam, 'sup?" she said, walking towards the balcony door, opening it and stepping outside.

Pie was left confused inside the room.

Huh? She's okay with me hearing her conversation with her dad but not with Yam? What could they be talking about that she doesn't want me to know?

---

"Nam liked your flowers by the way."

"Oh, really? That's nice to hear. How's your trip so far?"

"It's great, and we're enjoying our stay here."

"Wait, wait, wait, you said 'we' or is it just you who's enjoying everything?"

Kim took a glance at the person inside the room and averted her gaze quickly when their eyes met. "It might be hard to believe it, but I think she's enjoying the trip too, Yam."

"To be honest I won't be surprised if she does. But what makes you think so?"

"She's in the mood to do everything: pretending in front of Nam and strolling around here. She even asked me to buy couple necklaces and get a couple henna tattoo."

"What? She did that?"

"Yes, she... requested for it..."

"Wow, Kim, wow. Don't you think it's too much for acting?"

Kim knew what Yam is pointing. Although she's having the same notion, she still doesn't want to keep her hopes up. The last thing she wanted to do is to expect something in return from Pie.

"I know, but what if she's just having fun? What if she's just doing this to help me?"

"Help you get back with Nam?"

"Y-yeah?"

"Do you really think she wants you to get back with Nam?"

"What do you mean?"

"Kim, if she really wants that to happen there's no need for her to do what she's doing right now."

Kim knitted her brows. She knew that Yam could be right.

"My deduction is... I think she's doing that because she wants to keep you away from Nam."

Kim took a deep breath, inhaling the dusk air scented with the beach. "So... you're saying that Pie —"

"I still stand by my old statement, Kim: I really believe that she likes you."

"Now you're making me smile..."

"Ooh, I can tell someone's blushing. Where is she at the moment?"

"She's inside the room. I'm out here in the balcony."

"Hmmm... Why don't you confess to her tonight, Kim?"

"What? Tonight?"

"Yes, tonight. Tell her your true feelings."

"W-why should I do that?" Kim never thought of doing it yet because she knows that it's really impossible for Pie to reciprocate her feelings.

"So that we could find out what she really feels for you. Who knows, maybe she's just waiting for you to confess first."

"That's... I think that's impossible, Yam…"

"What's impossible? I tell you, Kim, believe me when I say it's not impossible for Pie to have a crush on you."

Although her eyes were fixed fully at the beach, Kim's thoughts were wandering. Her mind is torn between the ideas that Yam could be right or could be wrong.

"Don't you think it's too early for that?"

"Early for what? You're already doing what a real couple does."

"Not really, we haven't kissed yet." Kim giggled at the thought.

"I know that, ! My point is this: do you think you would be able to act naturally if you two aren't comfortable with each other?"

"But what if she's just really good at this, the acting?" asked Kim, knowing that Pie has a background in stage plays. "What if everything is just a part of the play for her? I don't want to assume anything now. That’s suicide."

Kim heard a loud sigh from Yam. "Don't you still get it, Kim? The fact that she can pretend to be your girlfriend with ease in front of Nam proves that she's okay to be your girlfriend for real. It also proves that you're compatible with each other."

"Oh, Yam..."

"It’s still up to you. I just don’t see the point of prolonging it. Tell her tonight. Take your chance. If she rejects you then you can stop being a hopeless romantic and start moving on right away. You may not admit it to me but I know part in you is thinking that — at some point —she likes you too."

Kim took another deep breath. “I think you’re right, Yam.”

She looked back into the room, observing Pie who's still busy picking what to wear, thinking if she should really confess tonight.

---

Oasis Bar & Restaurant

From the outside, a passerby can tell that a party is taking place in the restaurant. There is an unusual gathering of people and the sound of loud music inside is echoing. The dinner is set to be an informal party.

Kim and Pie went inside the restaurant hand in hand. They were looking for some familiar faces in the area when Shone suddenly popped out of nowhere to greet them.

"Hey there, cupcakes!" He hugged them quick.

"How are you doing, Shone? You look handsome tonight, huh?" said Pie after the hug. She can't deny that Shone is really dazzling in his v-neck striped shirt and black pants.

Shone felt shy. "Thanks. You look lovely yourself, Pie."

Upon hearing that, Kim's eyes involuntarily landed on Pie who's wearing a casual blue beach dress. She's already been dazzled by Pie even before they left their room earlier. She just doesn't have the courage to let Pie know about it.

Shone tapped Kim on the shoulder. "Hey, you alright? C'mon, I'll show you your table."

Kim looked around to search for Nam. "Where's the celebrant?"

"She's talking to some staff for the photo shoot tomorrow," said Shone, leading them the way.

"You have a shoot tomorrow?" asked Pie.

"Yeah, but we have different schedules." Shone stopped upon reaching a circular table. He patted a hand on it to show them that it's their place. "I'll be having mine in the morning and she's scheduled in the afternoon."

The three of them sat down. While Shone and Kim were talking, Pie was thinking of something.

Our reservation is until noon tomorrow. Does that mean Nam still wants to be with us in the morning without Shone?

"Sup, everybody?"

The three of them turned their attention to the owner of the voice.

"Zee!" Kim stood up to give her friend a welcome hug.

"Hey, dude!" Zee hugged her back. "Nam was right, you really are here!"

"Of course. Why would I not be here?"

"Well, I dunno," said Zee, scratching her chin. "Maybe issues?"

Kim answered back with a smirk, raising an eyebrow.

"Issues? Are there some issues with you guys?" Shone stood up to give Zee a handshake. "Thanks for coming, pal."

"No worries, anything for Nam and you." Zee shook back Shone's hand. "There's no issue between Kim and Nam, Shone, I'm pertaining to issues at work."

"Oh, I see." Shone looked relieved. "Oh, by the way, are you guys gonna be okay here? I have to leave for now to entertain the others. I'll be back with Nam later."

"Don't worry, we're good." Zee tapped Shone's shoulder. "Catch you later."

"Thanks. I'll see you later then." Shone walked away.

Zee punched Kim's arm. "It's nice seeing you, dude. When did you arrive here?"

"Yesterday, we drove directly here after work. How about you?"

"Oh, that's nice. I just drove here today. I'm kinda busy lately with my baby," said Zee, pertaining to her bar business. "You mean you got a room here?"

Kim nodded. "Nam got us a room," she said, pointing at Pie who's sitting just behind Zee.

Zee turned around to look at the other person. "Oh, hey there, Pie!"

Pie waved her hand. "Hi, Zee, nice seeing you here."

"I'm delighted to see you too, your highness." Zee bowed a little. "Is it just me or do you really look much prettier today compared to the last time I saw you?"

"Oh, thanks." Pie couldn't understand why a simple compliment matched with a handsome face like Zee's made her blush.

Kim cleared .

Zee chuckled at Kim and went back to Pie. "If I knew you'd come I should've brought Jane with me."

"Nah, you can't bring her here, dude. She doesn't know that Pie's with me." Kim is completely aware that Pie doesn't want Jane to know any of the things they are doing now.

"Ah, yeah, I forgot," said Zee, bringing a hand to her head. The last time Nam and Kim visited her bar along with Shone, Kim explained to her the acting thing and asked her to ride along.

"Are you and Jane officially together?" asked Pie.

"Yeah. Hasn't she told you that?" said Zee.

Pie shook her head. She knows the reason why Jane is so hesitant to tell her about it. Jane is completely aware that she doesn't approve such things. But ironically, Pie's actions now meant that she'd eaten all her words. Although she's not officially in a relationship with Kim, she's still pretending to be Kim's girlfriend, and Jane will surely laugh at her about this.

"Since when?" Kim followed up.

"A month. We've been like seeing each other almost every day after you introduced us," said Zee.

Kim calculated the days in her mind. If she's not mistaken it was only earlier last month when Zee and Jane had met. "Wow, you're fast, Zee, huh?"

"Psshh..." Zee waved a hand. " What's the point of prolonging it when we both knew that we like each other, right?"

Kim secretly smiled at that. It's like some unknown entities have been conspiring to make these two people — Yam and Zee — tell her something about confessing her feelings.

"You mean you confessed to her right away?"

"Well, you could say that, but it's not really a serious confession." Zee shrugged. "I just told her I like her. I had to know what she feels to make sure that we won't be wasting each other's time anymore."

Kim might seem calm but her thoughts are in chaos. She's not entertaining Yam's idea earlier but after hearing Zee's point of view, she's somehow convinced that she should do it. She shifted her gaze to Pie who's now talking to Zee.

---

The party mood had started after the guests had dinner. The sound of the drum beat was louder this time. Shone and Nam joined Kim, Pie, and Zee after entertaining the other guests. It was around past nine in the evening when their conversation started to get more interesting.

"Kim left that night drunk and was still confident that she could drive herself home. I was asking her to stay in my place since we're both badly intoxicated." Zee turned to Kim and pats her on the shoulder. "But this kid here was so persistent. She even told me 'I'm gonna make sure to call you when I got home,'" she mimicked Kim's drunken tone, making everyone laugh.

Kim felt embarrassed because she knows the outcome of the story. Nam on the other hand, who's sitting across Kim, is already giggling.

"After two hours," said Zee, raising two fingers, "I was surprised to receive a call from Kim's number. I was like 'oh, that bastard made it home alive'." All of them laughed again. Zee continued after the laughter, "But then, it wasn't Kim who's calling me. It was Nam."

Kim and Nam glanced at each other quick.

Zee continued, "The moment I answered the phone all I heard was sobbing 'Uhuhuhuh... Zee... Kim's in the hospital... huhuhuhu...'" she mimicked Nam's voice in a funny way.

All of them laughed again especially Nam who's already hiding behind Shone's shoulder due to embarrassment.

"I admit my mistake on that, and I'm never gonna drink and drive again, ever," said Kim.

Zee nudged Kim's arm. "Well, you're actually lucky that you didn't run over and kill someone that time."

Shone and Pie were the audiences that night. Zee keeps on telling things about their college experience. Although most of it revolves around Kim and Nam, Pie didn't feel irritated because Zee was the one telling the story. In fact, she's having fun hearing more things about Kim.

Zee let out a loud sigh and she played the spoon on her hand. "Jeez, I missed those good old days with you guys," she said, throwing quick glances at Kim and Nam.

Although it may not sound that serious Kim felt melancholy rushing down her chest. She peeked at Nam's direction and caught the latter's eyes already fixed on her. For some reasons she felt that it was her old Nammy she's looking at that moment. She shifted her eyes back to Zee.

"I missed it too, dude."

"C'mon, Kim, let's go get some beer," said Zee.

"Huh?" Kim watched Zee get up from her chair.

"Let's get something to drink." Zee went to Pie and held her shoulders with both hands. "Princess, could you do the honor of allowing Kim to drink tonight?"

Pie smiled sweetly. "Of course. Binge drink if you feel like to. Kim's not driving tonight so I don't mind."

"That's my girl." Zee squeezed Pie's shoulders and turned to Kim after. "C'mon, dude. Her highness has allowed you to drink tonight."

"I'll be quick." Kim squeezed Pie's hand and the latter nodded.

---

"Two beers, please?" Zee ordered, playfully tapping her hands on the bar table.

Kim sat on the stool. "Just two beers? Are we drinking alone here?"

"Let's just talk here for a while." Zee grabbed the beer from the table and sip on it.

"But I can't leave Pie alone there with Nam and Shone..."

"I just need a moment with you, dude. It won't be long."

Kim knew it was something serious. "Y-you have a problem?"

Zee chuckled while she rotated the bottle in her palms. "It just feels weird, dude," she said, side glancing Kim. "You two were inseparable before."

Kim made eye contact with the table. She knew what this is all about.

"And look at you now, it's like you don't know each other anymore. Both sitting beside somebody else," Zee continued, letting out a disappointed chuckle. "What happened to you guys?"

It took a moment for Kim to answer, "I... I really don't know, dude..."

Zee took another sip from the bottle. "It's just a bit depressing to see you two like this now. Everything was perfect before, right?"

Kim nodded. Her mind already traveled back in time. "Just you, me and Nam, nothing else matters."

Zee has been her and Nam's good friend since college. Zee was also a big supporter of KimNam tandem. Although she's acting like the third wheel most of the time, their days won't be completed without Zee in it.

Kim partly feels she's to blame for Zee's anxiety because the breakup had cost their friendship too. And since Zee is in the middle, she's having a hard time connecting with both of them again.

"It may not seem like it but I'm also affected by the things going on with the two of you," Zee admitted. "The sad thing is I guess what happened before will just be a part of a memory."

That statement made Kim feel sad too. She patted Zee on the shoulder to console her.

"Don't worry about me, dude. I just need to let it out," said Zee, smiling this time around. "Truth is I'm happy for the both of you. Nam is doing what she really wants. Shone seems to be a nice guy for her. You graduated college and got a good job now, and Pie..." Zee paused for a moment, "okay, that doesn't count, you're only pretending."

"Tsss..." Kim nudged Zee.

"Or is it really just pretending?"

Kim pressed her lips together thinking that maybe it's time to let Zee know about it. "Pie might be pretending but I'm not."

Zee, who's about to take another sip from the bottle, stopped with what she heard. "What the —"

Kim couldn't help but give out a wide grin. "Yes, Zee, yes."

"Are you serious?" Zee was even more shocked when Kim nodded. "Since when?"

"I realized it just this late December."

"How did it happen? Does she know about it? How are you taking all of these now?" Zee was too surprised and was unaware that she's throwing in questions all at the same time.

Kim bit her lip and shook her head. "Nope, she has no idea at all."

"Wow, I see you're enjoying this little acting you're doing now, huh?"

"Sigh. I'm just taking my chances, dude. I don't think she feels the same way."

"Yeah, I remember Jane telling me that Pie is not into this, plus her mom's homophobic," said Zee, waving the tip of the bottle. "I couldn't believe it at first when you told me about the thing going on with the two of you."

Kim then realized why Pie has never invited her inside her house, nor even gave her a chance to get out of her car each time she drives her home.

"What about Nam?" Zee threw another question. "I'm not saying that I don't like Pie, in fact, I think she's perfect for you. But before we jump into that I just want to make sure of one thing: are you really over Nam?"

That's one question Kim knows the answer. "Dude, I have to admit that I felt something for Nam before and I was badly hurt when she left, but if there's one thing I am certain of at this moment I'm sure that what I feel for Pie is different from what I felt for Nam before."

"Different in what way?"

"I'm not really sure... somehow I think that my feelings towards Pie are much stronger."

"But why aren't you sure yet?" Zee raised an eyebrow. "It's been only a year since Nam left, Kim. Are you telling me that you're not affected by her presence anymore?"

"At some point, I still am. I won't deny that," said Kim, shrugging. "But everything just feels so right with Pie around. I feel like nothing else matters anymore, and whatever Shone and Nam are doing, I don't care."

"What if..." Zee hesitated at first, "let's say Nam and Pie both confessed to you tonight, who will you choose then?"

"What kind of questions is that? It's too impossible to happen."

"Tsss... just answer it. I don't care if it's impossible or not. All I wanted to know is who will you choose if that ever happens."

Kim didn't have second thoughts. "I'd choose, Pie, dude. No questions about that."

Zee looked relieved after hearing that. "Why don't you confess to her, dude?"

Kim can't believe it. For the second time that day, somebody asked her to confess to Pie.

"I can tell she's into you, and you really look good together," said Zee.

Kim chuckled. "You're not the first person who told me that."

"Then what's holding you back?"

"I don't know. Maybe I'm afraid of rejection? I never confessed anything to Nam before, remember?"

"Nothing ventured nothing gained, dude."

"But I don't have the courage to tell Pie about it."

Zee laughed and grabbed the other bottle in front of her. "Need courage? Take this."

Kim stared at the bottle of beer with hesitation. "Do I really have to get drunk to do it?"

"Yes, what's the point of waiting, dude? And another yes, because you're very articulate when you're drunk."

"Do I really have to do it tonight?"

"No more questions. It has to be tonight. If that's not enough, I'll get you a courage potion." Zee turned to the bartender. "Could you give us Aftershock party pack?"

Kim felt it was about time. Zee ordered liquor for her to get drunk right away. She bit her lower lip and stared at the bottle in her hand.