Quiz

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

Wednesday - Office

"Kim."

Kim noticed a chat message from Pie. "Yeah?"

"I realized this just now, have you booked our room yet?"

Kim giggled. The term 'our room' is too much for her to take. She doesn't want to think about it that much yet. Just imagining that she'll be alone with Pie in a room sends shivers all over her body.

"Nam took care of it for us, Pie."

"Wow, your ex is very generous, huh. I told you, she really wants you to come."

"She said it's her late graduation gift for me. And she's not my ex."

"Oh really (•_•)"

Kim chuckled. "Btw, our check-in date is on Friday night. We'll check-out Sunday noon."

"So, we'll drive straight there after office on Friday?"

"Something like that."

"How long is the travel time?"

"2 to 3 hours. I'll drive us there."

"Okay. That means you are obliged to pick me up on Friday before going here to the office. I don't want to carry my things up here."

"Yeah, sure. Planning on bringing the entire house with ya?"

"Crazy!"

Kim still can't believe that this is really happening: a trip with Pie alone. This is way better than a date. Plus, the fact that they need to pretend as a couple really makes it the best trip she'd sign up so far.

"Hey, Kim, could you come with me later?"

"Where to?"

"Shopping. I still have to buy some things for the trip. Jane would be a great company however I’m sure she’ll just annoy me with too much questions. I’m not in the mood right now to explain things to her, you know."

"I understand. I think it’s a perfect idea. We still need to talk about some details concerning the questions that Nam might throw at us. A little practice or rehearsal would help."

"Oh yeah, I'm glad you remember that. Let's talk about that over dinner?"

"Are you asking me for a date?"

"Excuse me!"

"Hahaha! I'm sorry, boss. And is it okay if we'll drop by a flower shop in Lumpini before we go to dinner?"

"Not a problem for me. Buying flowers?"

"I'm making a reservation. I'll give it to Nam on Friday for her birthday."

"Okay then. I'll see you later at the parking area after five o'clock."

"Got it."

---

Mall

Judging from Pie’s actions, Kim is now starting to think that Pie is equally as excited as her about this coming trip. Kim's not sure if it's because they are traveling alone, which is her personal reason for being excited about it, or if it's because it will be Pie's first time to go there. Pie's basket is currently full of girly stuff that puzzles Kim with the purpose of each.

Moisturizing lotion, baby powder, facial cream, sunscreen lotion, tissue, shampoo, conditioner, eyelash curler, foundation, toner; is she really bringing all of those there?

"Hey, Kim, look at this!"

Kim was kind of lost in thoughts when she felt Pie tugged her. She turned around and saw a stand featuring the cherry-flavored edible lipstick they worked on before.

"This was our first project together, right?" said Pie, picking an item from the stand and raising the lipstick between their faces.

"Y-yeah…”

Kim is unsure how to respond. Seeing that lipstick made her remember the 'car scene' last Friday. Her eyes automatically landed on Pie's lips. She felt the burning sensation on her cheek again like it has been imprinted there, like it just happened yesterday.

Pie also felt awkward when she saw Kim's reaction. She remembered the kiss too. She's not sure if Kim is even aware of what she did, or why she even did that. She knows the possibility that Nam might have removed the kiss mark without telling Kim. They never talked about it when they met in the office after weekend.

Unknown to Kim, Pie's face was burning red that night when she went out of the car. There’s no better way she could think of to get back at Nam who had surely pushed Pie almost on the edge.

That night, after getting inside her house and finally closing the door, Pie slowly slid down the wall into a sitting position. She was glad that her mom was upstairs because she doesn't know how to handle her heart beating wildly against her chest.

"Look, that's the tagline you've thought of, right?" said Kim this time, wanting to change the topic.

Pie looked at where Kim was pointing and whispered the lines as she reads it, "Make men crave for more."

"Cool, huh?" Kim nudged her. "I told you, you've done a great job on that."

Pie raised again the lipstick on her hand to observe it.

"I wonder," said Kim, looking at the lipstick, "does it really taste like cherry?"

Pie answered Kim with suspicious eyes and a devious smile. She and gently slapped Kim and said, "."

"? Hey, I I didn't mean it that way…"

Pie turned around with a taunting face. "Yeah, I didn't say you mean it that way, I'm just teasing you."

"Where are you going?" asked Kim.

Pie raised the lipstick again before moving forward. "I'm buying this."

Kim just smiled. Oh, Pie.

---

Lumpini

Judging from Kim's gestures, how she keeps on scratching her head and how she observes every establishment in the area, Pie knew that Kim hasn't been to that flower shop before.

"Are you sure you got the correct address?" asked Pie. She’s starting to wonder why Kim is bothering to go to this one even though there are lots of flower shops near her apartment.

"Yeah, it should be just around here," said Kim, tilting her head left and right. "There!"

Kim parked in front of the shop and started unbuckling her seatbelt. "C'mon, Pie, let's go!"

"Should I still come with you? You're just making a reservation, right?" asked Pie, still wondering why Kim looks excited to go in the shop.

"Well, the owner is a friend of mine. This is the first time I'm visiting her shop and I might buy some time inside."

"Oh, okay."

---

Cling! Cling! Cling!

Kim was surprised by the sound of the chime bells hanging on the door when she opened it. She met eyes with the woman at the counter who's already looking at her.

"Kim!" Yam exclaimed. She strode towards the new customer and gave a powerful hug. "You're here!" Her hands shifted to Kim's face and wiggled the latter's head. "Look at you, you're so handsome!"

"Ehrm... ehrm..." Pie cleared to remind the two that they are not alone.

Yam removed her hands immediately and parted herself from Kim. "Oh, I didn't know you have company. Sorry."

"It's okay." Kim smiled. She turned to her colleague and said, "By the way, Yam, this is Pie, my friend. Pie, this is Yam, she's a good friend of mine too."

"Hi, Yam." Pie changed expression from sulky to cheerful. They exchanged wai's.

"Wow..." Yam's tone cannot hide her thrill of finally meeting with the woman behind the long calls she had with Kim almost every night. "Kim was right, you're beautiful!"

Oh, Yam, don't say that! Kim placed her fingers on her temples.

Pie got confused. "What... do you... mean?"

Yam realized her mistake. "Well, Kim has been telling me about some of her officemates that she's really fond of. She always talks about you a lot and uh..." Yam was trying to remember other names that Kim has mentioned to her, "...and Nerd. Yeah, Nerd!"

Kim tried to hide her laughter.

I remember I told her once about Nerd. But of all the people in the office, she remembered Nerd?

"Nerd?" Pie chuckled. "I didn't know you and Nerd were close, Kim."

"Yeah, we're close, hehe..." Kim scratched her neck. "It's just that I'm the one who does the talking most of the time."

Pie laughed. "Yeah, she doesn't even talk to anybody."

Yam was relieved to get away from that. "So, what's with the surprise visit, Kim?"

"I'd like to reserve for a bouquet of white and purple Tulips. I'll be picking it up Friday afternoon."

"Tulips? A good choice. May I know what the occasion is?" asked Yam.

"It's for a birthday of an old friend. I believe I already mentioned Nam to you, right? Tulips are her favorite."

Yam nodded. "Oh, for Nam? Yeah, I remember."

Pie was silently observing the two. She noticed that Yam seems to know a lot of things about Kim. She even knows Nam.

"Are you going out this weekend?" asked Yam, walking towards the counter. "You told me that the other day when I called you."

"Yeah, vacation is good once in a while," said Kim, looking around the area. "You have a nice place here, Yam."

Yam was writing something down. She paused a moment and said, "Thanks, I'm glad you liked it."

"But I think you should improve your signage outside, it's kinda hard to notice."

"I’m planning to, but I don't know what design to do yet."

"I can create designs for you if you want."

Yam smiled right away. "Are you sure?"

Kim nodded. "Yeah, that's what I do."

Yam showed her grin, flashing out her pearl white teeth.

---

Cling! Cling! Cling!

The sound of the chime bells echoed in the room again when Kim opened the door. "I guess I'll see you around, Yam."

"We'll keep in touch." Yam winked. "Take care, guys. It's nice meeting you, Pie."

"Nice meeting you too, Yam. Bye now." Pie smiled as she stepped out of the door.

Kim signaled her hand 'I'll call you' before she exits the door.

"I'm hungry now, Kim..."

Kim unlocked the car and checked her wristwatch. She realized that it's almost seven in the evening. "Where do you want to eat?"

"I don't know..."

"You don't know? I guess that restaurant is hard to find," said Kim, opening the car door.

Pie stomped a foot in annoyance. "Tsk. Kim!"

Kim raised both her hands in surrender. "Haha! Sorry, sorry. What are you craving for, your highness?"

Pie placed a finger on her chin and frowned. "I don't know..."

"Mmm... pasta?" Kim made a wild guess to help. Pie shook her head. "Hmm. Chicken? What, you still don't know? How about Chinese food?"

Pie shook her head again.

Kim got even more confused. "You don't like it or you don't know if you like it?"

"I don't know..." Pie jutted her lower lip out in a pout.

Kim scratched her head, trying to figure out what Pie wants. "Uh, you're gonna be one difficult girlfriend, Pie."

"Then don't pretend to be with me," said Pie, rolling her eyes.

Kim smiled to herself. She raised her right hand showing three fingers. "Let's put it this way. I have three things in mind right now. Choose whichever you like: option one, two or three?"

"What are those?"

"I have assigned specific restaurant for each option. You decide which option you like and I'll tell you where it'll be."

"What if I don't like the option I chose?"

"It's either you decide now where you want to go or choose from these three." Kim pointed at the three fingers again.

"Okay." Pie looks up while carefully thinking. "I think I like option three."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. What is one and two first?"

"Option one is grabbing sea foods in Sathorn area," said Kim, raising her index finger while counting. "Option two is the Oishi Buffet for some Japanese foods."

“Wow. You really know where the nearest restaurants are, huh,” said Pie, amazed. "And where is option three?"

"Option three is Burger King Drive-thru."

Pie bent her head to show her disapproval. "Burger again?"

Kim laughed. "Hey, you're the one who picked it. Besides, I haven't eaten a burger in a week now, Pie."

Pie knitted her brows while thinking if she'll agree with Kim's idea. On the other hand, she admired Kim's wit in making her choose a place to eat.

"Fine, but where should we eat that? You said drive-thru right?"

Kim winked. "I know the exact perfect place."

---

Kim's Apartment

After buying the foods, Kim brought Pie to the rooftop of her apartment building. She was glad that no one is there to disturb their little date. The rooftop gives them a panoramic view of Bangkok at night: city lights, vehicles, and tiny people walking.

She was glad that Pie seemed to like the idea of being there. They spent the first ten minutes staring down and talking about random stuff before they've decided to finally eat.

"Do you often eat here alone?" asked Pie before scooping the last pieces of fries left in her box. Kim was sitting on her left.

"Mmm-mmm," Kim hummed while sipping her juice.

"Have you brought Nam here before?"

Kim shook her head as she puts down the box of juice on the bench they are sitting on. "I just recently discovered this place after Nam left for Singapore."

"Oh." Pie took a sip of her juice too. She felt glad about it.

"You're the first person I brought here," said Kim, rubbing her palms together between her legs.

Sometimes Pie doesn't know if Kim is just a heart-teaser who is an expert in doing these kinds of things to everybody. Whatever she does, even in the simplest form or gestures, she never fails to make Pie feel that she's important, that she's special, and that's one of the reasons she's so fond of Kim now.

"This is a nice place, Kim. Thank you."

"You're welcome." Kim set her eyes on the view in front of them. "About Nam's questions, I think we have to discuss that now."

"Ah, yeah. The last time Nam talked to me I felt like I was in the session court, or I was being interviewed for a job position." Pie chuckled at the memory.

"I told you, she's a nosy person. What are the things she asked you?"

"The usual things that are being asked to couples: how long have we been together, where we met, things like that."

"How are we supposed to know what are the other possible things she would ask us? Should we create a fake love story?"

Pie stretched her arms behind her back. "Why don't we search the internet for couple quizzes? Let's just come up with answers for each. I believe that might be easier than coming up with a story. All we need to do is just relate things as much as possible to what really has happened, and let's just add spices to make it romantic."

"Hmm, that's a good idea. Let's see..." Kim grabbed her iPad inside the bag and opened the browser immediately.

Pie scooted closer to Kim to get a better view of the screen. She didn't mind that their arms are touching side by side. "There, I think that's a good one."

Kim taps a finger on the screen and the first question flashed right away.

Where did you first meet?

"That's an easy question, in the office, right?" said Pie, hooking her chin on Kim's shoulder.

Kim loved that feeling. "Yeah, piece of cake." The second question came out after she taps the screen again.

Who made the first move?

Pie raised her head and said, "This is obvious, Kim. It has to be you."

"What, why me?"

"It would be weird if I made the first move."

Kim saw Pie raised an eyebrow at her. "Huh? Is it not possible that you made the first move?"

"You want to tell Nam that I seduced you? No way, Kim!" Pie recoiled, slapping Kim's arm. "Give me some pride. I am still the woman in this relationship so you should be the one who made the first move."

"That's unfair, Pie. You're the one who came into my department first, do you remember that?"

"Excuse me. It was Jane who wanted to meet you, not me," said Pie, realizing that Kim has a point. "She dragged me there because she knows I can make Van introduce you to her."

Kim felt there's no way she'd win this argument. "Ugh. Fine. If I made the first move, then what move did I make?"

The ladies' room scene, their first actual encounter after bumping into each other, flashed in Pie's mind. That was the day she understood why girls are crazy over Kim.

"You smiled at me."

Kim got confused. "Huh? I made a move just by smiling at you?"

"I mean, you smiled first then you befriended me," said Pie, still remembering how she felt when Kim smiled at her before.

Kim didn't speak another word but she stared at Pie directly, one eyebrow raised.

"W-what?" Pie felt conscious.

"You mean... I got you with just one smile?" asked Kim, nudging Pie.

 

Pie looked away immediately and grunted, "Say whatever you like."

Feeling victorious of being able to tame Pie, Kim tapped the screen again. "Okay, next question."

Who said I love you first?

"Answer is obvious, Kim, still it should be you."

Kim scratched her head. "This is unfair, Pie. You're making it look like I courted you."

"What's wrong with you courting me?" Pie retort. Even though they are only pretending to be a real couple, she still wants to feel that they went through a process where Kim tried to win her heart.

"It's because Nam knows I don't believe in the essence of courtship..."

"You don't? Why?"

"Because lying is the biggest issue in courting," said Kim, placing the tablet on her side. "A guy will always display the best colors he has when he's hitting on a girl. The same thing happens when a girl likes a guy. For me, it's just not really a good way to start a romantic relationship."

Pie was amazed on Kim's reasoning. She realized that she had the same reason why most of her suitors end up being friendzoned by her.

"I still believe that the foundation of the best relationship is a great friendship," said Kim, her hand gesturing in the air. "You have to start as friends first, without wanting to date each other right away, and just let fate decide for the both of you."

Pie realized that it’s the same thing that happened between Kim and Nam. Somehow, she felt envious. Now she knows why Nam asked her if Kim had courted her or not.

"Then let's just say we've been friends for a couple of months and we just grew closer after our first project together, the lipstick ad," said Pie.

"That's good. What happened next after our first project?" Kim doesn't want to mess up the story with her ideas because Pie is more used in doing this.

"Hmm..." Pie looked up the sky with a finger on her chin. "After our first project we started going out alone, things like that. Although we're going out as friends we weren't aware that what we're feeling for each other was more than what we thought it was."

Kim's eyes were on the floor while thinking that the same exact thing happened to her.

Pie saw it as an opportunity to stare at Kim's beautiful face. "And for some twists and turns of fate," she paused, leaning closer to Kim's ear to whisper in her sweetest tone, "in the end we realized that we fell in love with each other."

Kim felt the hot breath in her ear, causing her to whip her head to her side. It was a bad move however because Pie's face was too close to her, literally like an inch away.

Feeling a big gush of awkwardness coming between them, Kim and Pie turned away immediately from each other.

"I’m sorry,” both said at the same time.

“No worries. It was my fault,” said Kim, embarrassed. However, she can’t erase the thought that she almost kissed Pie. In fact, she was close to doing that.

Kim raised the tablet on her hand and continued looking at the questions to distract herself from doing something inappropriate to the lady beside her.

On the other hand, Pie’s hand was on her lips. She’s partly blaming herself for what happened. It was too close that she even felt Kim’s breath on her face. But the funny thing about it is she knows she was already possessed the moment she looked at Kim’s eyes, but she doesn’t have the strength to fight it.

If one of her suitors has done that thing to her before, intentionally or not, she knows she'll get turned off and will be disgusted. But it's different with Kim, and Pie doesn't know why. She's not mad at all. In fact, she felt strangely nervous instead.

"Blue, right?" asked Kim, raising the tablet for Pie to see the screen.

What's your lover's favorite color?

Pie glanced at Kim for a second and went back to the tablet. "How did you know?"

"How would I not know?" Kim made it obvious that she's looking at Pie's blouse.

Pie smiled when she realized that she's currently wearing a blue blouse. Her bag is also blue. "How about you?"

"That's the problem. I don't know what my favorite color is."

"How come you don't know?"

"Hmmm... I'm not sure. I pick clothes based on their styles not because of their color."

"Does Nam know your favorite color?"

"Nope. You'll have to help me figure that out, Pie."

"If Nam doesn't know it then I don't have to worry about it. Let's move to the next question." Pie tapped the screen this time.

When is your anniversary?

"I told Nam that we became an official couple when you called me on New Year's Eve, is that okay?" asked Pie.

"That was January 1st, right?"

"Yeah, you don't want that date?"

"It's fine. Besides, Nam already knows about it," said Kim. “Does that mean it'll be our second week together this Saturday?"

Pie nodded in response.

Kim had to look away because she felt a rush of emotion filling her chest. She can't control her smile. She tapped the screen again.

What is your lover's nickname for you?

Kim lowered the tablet to her legs. "Why did you come up with honey by the way?"

"It was the spur of the moment, Kim," said Pie, eyes on the tablet. "I had to think of something to make it obvious that we're together. The first thing that came into my mind was that."

Kim bit her lower lip, remembering that Pie called her the same when she was drunk before.

"You don't like honey?" asked Pie, feeling shy because Kim might have thought of it as an ugly endearment.

"No, no. It's fine. It's sweet. I like it. I like the sound of it."

That made Pie smile. “Honestly that's what I've always imagined myself calling my future lover. Maybe that's the reason that it was the first endearment that came into my mind."

"I'm sorry. I guess you've associated that to a wrong person instead of reserving it for the future."

"It's okay. I can still use it anyway."

"But you might remember me each time you call your boyfriend honey, hahaha!"

Pie hit Kim's arm gently. "Crazy..."

"Okay, let's move forward." Kim swiped the screen. Her eyes widened when she saw the next question.

Where was your first kiss?

Pie noticed Kim's hand froze after seeing that question. She felt shy herself, remembering what she did the last time in the car.

Kim swiped the screen right away. "Okay! Let's just skip that question."

"Mmm-mmm." Pie was buried her face on Kim's shoulder. She noticed Kim's face reddened from her view.

Where is the wildest place you have made woo-hoo?

"Wohohoho!" Kim flipped the cover of her tablet, hoping that Pie didn't read the entire question. "Let's just stop this, Pie. I think the questions are for married couples. Besides, we've only been together for two weeks, right? Let's just say that we're still in the stage of getting to know each other."

"Agree. Let's just save us from the stress of thinking all the details."

Kim felt relieved with what Pie said.

"But isn't it a bit too early for a woo-hoo?"

"W-what do you mean?"

"Well, for a fresh couple who'd been together for only two weeks, don't you think it's a bit early to do something like that right away?" asked Pie innocently.

"Uh... I'm feeling awkward now with what you're saying, Pie..."

"Why do you feel awkward with woo-hoo? What if Nam asked us about it?" Pie didn't mind pointing that out because she's not really thinking about it. She's more embarrassed to talk about kissing because of what she did last time.

"Let's just say we haven't crossed that line yet," said Kim, her eyes looking far away.

Pie was studying Kim's reaction, wondering why the latter is feeling awkward. Then her expression changed from calm to shock. She slapped Kim's arm. "Wait, are you imagining it???"

"Uh... no, no! Of course not!"

"Then why are you blushing? You !" Pie accused, giving Kim another playful slap on the shoulder.

"It's just too awkward to talk about it! I bet Nam won't even ask that!"

"Yeah, she won't ask that because she knows you're slow."

Kim scratched her head again while glaring at Pie.

Call me slow one more time and I'll kiss you right here, right now.

"What?" asked Pie.

"Nothing."

The cold wind blew then, making the two turn their gaze to the view in front of them. They stayed silent for a little while, savoring the peaceful moment they are experiencing.

"Don't forget to pick me up on Friday, okay?" said Pie.

Kim nodded. "You ready for our weekend getaway?"

"I'm excited, Kim, very much excited."

"Me too." Kim smiled back. "C'mon, it's getting late, I'll drive you home."