Breakfast

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

I can't believe it, she's really here!

Kim was discreetly peeking from the door entrance. From her view in the hallway, she can see Pie's back clearly. She pulled away her sleeve to look at her wristwatch.

It's only 7:07, I wonder, what time did she arrive?

She peeked through the door again, observing Pie's every movement. Pie is currently browsing something on the internet. She's wearing a black blouse and her hair isn't tied today.

Sigh. I think I could do this all day without complain, even just looking at her back, observing her like this.

Pie moved to her left to check on something. Kim immediately hid beside the door, afraid that she'll get caught peeking.

What the hell is wrong with me? Why am I hiding? We're supposed to have breakfast today that's why we're here early!

After few seconds she peeked again. Pie's now busy browsing something. Kim raised her wrist.

Tsk. It's already 7:11. I'll be dead if she won't see me by 7:15.

She entered the door slowly, tiptoeing. Although she knows that her sneakers won't make any annoying sound on the carpeted floor she's still afraid to create anything that could catch Pie's attention. The idea of being along with Pie today somehow frightens her. She'd love to spend time with Pie, of course, but she doesn’t know how to start a conversation.

"And what do you think you're doing?" Pie's irritated tone echoed on the floor.

Kim turned nervously and saw Pie's grumpy expression. "Uh... hi..."

"Didn't occur to you that I can hear every movement you make? It's just the two of us here."

"Uh... yeah... well..."

"It's almost 7:15 now, how long are you planning to make me wait?"

"Uh... I'm just dropping my things in my station..."

"Make it quick."

"Yes, ma'am!" Kim hurried to her department.

---

The pantry looks more vibrant today because no one is there yet to disturb their little date. Kim is still feeling awkward about the idea she had yesterday regarding Pie's mysterious chat mate.

On the other hand, Pie wasn't also acting herself today. She's excited to go to the office — yes — however, but she doesn’t know why she feels nervous at the same time.

They settled on one of the tables and sat down facing each other.

"Hmm, what did you bring today?" asked Kim, curiously looking at the lunchbox in front of her.

"My mom prepared Patongco and Khao Khai Chiao," said Pie, opening the covers. Truth is she requested her mom to cook that. She lied and told her mom that there will be a potluck breakfast in the office.

"Woooow! I'm so famished now, Pie!" Kim's hyper reaction swayed the awkwardness away between the two of them.

"I'm hungry too. I hope you'll like it."

Kim picked up one Patongco with her fork. She raised her eyebrows after a bite. "Mmm, this is good! Your mom surely knows how to cook."

"Now, that's what you call a real breakfast, Kim," said Pie, feeling victorious seeing Kim enjoying the food.

"How about you, Pie, do you cook?"

Pie shook her head and started eating. "Nah. I was never a fan of recipe books."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just don't like cooking. It's too boring for me."

"You don't have plans of cooking for future hubby?"

"Well, I might change my mind in the future, I don’t know yet. But right now, I really don't want to," said Pie, taking another bite of the food. "I always imagined myself being paired with someone who loves to cook anyway.”

Kim abruptly stopped whatever she's doing, glanced at Pie for a moment and then dropped her gaze back at the food, smiling.

Pie noticed it. "What?"

"Nothing..."

"Then why are you smiling?"

"I don't know, I just... I just love the food..."

"Liar!"

Kim took a bite of the Patongco from her fork and taunted Pie with a silly smile.

"I... hate… you…” Pie trailed off in between bites while pointing her fork at Kim. Seeing that smile from Kim made her blush a little.

"So, it's the end of the year this weekend. What are your plans?" asked Kim, changing the topic.

"Our usual routine is to visit dad's grave in the morning, and then stay at my cousin's place for the New Year's Eve celebration.”

"Oh, really? I didn't know that your dad is..."

"Yeah, when I was still in the 8th grade."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. You've also lost one of yours too, right?"

"Yeah. Too bad for us..." Kim pouted.

"How about you, any plans? Don't tell me you're all alone again?" asked Pie.

Kim shook her head. "I'm going to Taiwan. My dad's there right now. We'll be celebrating New Year's Eve together."

"Wow, that's good to hear. At least you have something to do that day."

"Yeah, it's not every day we get to see each other so we make sure that we won't let occasions like this pass by just like that."

"And you should see your dad once in a while too. He surely misses you from time to time."

"Well, he does, if he doesn't have a girlfriend," Kim joshed.

"Oh, you, Kim..."

"Speaking of that, do you think it’s a good idea to set up a blind date for your mom and my dad?"

"Do you think your dad will like my mom?"

"I'm sure he will. Well, you're pretty, where else could you get your looks from, right?"

Although Kim was unaware of what she said, Pie surely heard it as loud as a bomb explosion. She showed a devious smile with one eyebrow raised.

"You think I'm pretty?"

Kim's jaw dropped. It was not really her intention to sit in front of this petite lady. In fact, she feels awkward knowing that Pie will be able to see all her movements. But if the retribution of sitting there is the view she's seeing now then she had surely made the right decision.

"Oh, c'mon, Pie. Let's be honest here. Yes, I think you're pretty..."

Pie's mouth fell slightly agape seeing Kim's serious face.

"...pretty ugly, hahaha!"

Pie shifted her expression from shocked to a don't-mess-with-me-today look.

"Besides, I love your mom's cooking, it's a plus point,” said Kim.

Pie dropped her utensils and rested her chin on her hand. "Kim, if your dad and my mom will end up together, what will become of us?"

Kim stopped eating for a second. She realized that if her dad and Pie's mom marry each other, then it'll make Pie and her sort of relatives. "It's... it's a bad idea, Pie. Let's forget about it."

"Agree. Bad idea."

The two turned their attention to the door when someone came in.

"Hello there, Kim. You're early today, huh?" the woman said when she passed by their table, giving Kim a quick tap on the shoulder.

Kim's head followed the woman who's going to get a coffee from the vending machine.

"Hi, Eve, 'sup?"

Pie observed the girl. She didn't know that Kim was already acquainted with her. This girl belongs to another department that neither Kim or her are working with.

The woman pressed something on the vending machine. "I'm okay. What are your plans for the holiday?"

"I'm traveling."

"Wow, where are you fooling around?"

"Somewhere nearby countries. You?"

"Just staying home." The woman grabbed the cup, walked towards them and touched Kim on the shoulder again. "Bring me back something special, okay?"

Kim smiled. "Sure." She pointed at her food and said, "You wanna join us?"

Although Kim wasn't looking at her, Pie glared at Kim, telepathically saying that the food shouldn’t be shared to anyone.

"I better not, Kim," said the woman. She subtly rolled her eyes at Pie before starting to walk away. "I'll go ahead.”

"I'll see you around," said Kim as the woman exits the door.

After they heard the door latch Pie spoke up, "Eve, huh?"

"Yeah, she's Eve. Why?"

"How did you get to know her?"

"Mmm, should I not know my colleagues?"

"How long have you been here again?"

"Mmm, almost five months..."

"You know what, I've been here for more than two years and I have no idea what's the name of that woman," said Pie, pointing at the door. "And you, you've been here for just a few months, Kim, and it seems like you already know everybody."

"Well..." Kim tried to recollect how she got acquainted with Eve, "...Van introduced her to me."

"Ahh, Van."

"And we chat sometimes, you know. Something wrong?"

"Nothing. I just didn't realize you really are that popular."

"Why, are you jealous?" said Kim, smirking.

"Excuse me?" Pie scowled back. “You didn't see how that woman glared at me. It seems like I've put myself in danger today just by having breakfast with you!”

“G-glared at you? Why would she do that?” asked Kim. Pie just rolled her eyes. "Well, you're popular with the boys too, you know."

"But I'm not as flirty as you are, Kim."

Kim raised her fork. "The term is 'nice', Pie, 'nice'."

Pie rolled her eyes again. "Whatever." She thought of teasing Kim by showing a seductive smile. "Why, are you jealous?"

"Uh —" Kim was caught unguarded. She knows that her weakness is a smile and Pie. Just imagine what she felt seeing both at the same time.

Kim was saved from the humiliation of blushing when two ladies came in from the door. They greeted her right away. They gave out the same glare at Pie. Few more minutes passed, more and more people are getting in the office. Few more employees came in the pantry. Kim addressed them in their names that Pie can't seem to remember. Pie felt and saw the obvious disappointment of the fangirls to see Kim eating with someone else today.

"I think we should finish this right away," said Pie, dropping her utensils.

"You're done already?"

"I'm just worried about my own sake."

"Huh?"

"I believe this breakfast might have served as a catalyst for 'eliminate Pie' faction here in the office."

Kim got confused. "I... don't... seem to follow what you're saying..."

Pie crossed her arms on the table. "Kim, your fangirls, they want to kill me..."

"What are you saying?" asked Kim, laughing.

Pie shifted to a depressed pose by resting her head on her hands. "Aaaaagh. What have I done?"

Kim leaned forward to look at Pie's face. "Hey, you alright?"

"Can't you see, your fangirls, they were all jealous of me..."

"Why would they be jealous, we were only eating here...?"

"That's exactly the reason they are jealous. They obviously don't want me to be the one in front of you now."

"That's... that's impossible..."

"Oh, c'mon, Kim. You didn't see how they looked at me. If a glare could kill people, I'm probably dead by now," said Pie, upset.

Kim smiled because of the exaggeration. "I'm sorry about that."

"Hmp. What would you do if someone attacks me?"

"They wouldn't go that far."

"From the way they glared at me, I think they can, Kim. Seriously."

Kim can't erase the smile on her face. "You know what, let me make it up to you."

"How?"

"Let me drive you home today."

Pie liked the idea but she's still hesitant.

"C'mon, consider it as gratitude for the breakfast." Kim pointed at the food.

Kim's serious tone sounded irresistible for Pie. "But your fangirls might see us together..."

"Oh. Then let's meet at the parking lot discreetly. I'll go first and then I'll wait for you."

Pie finally smiled. "Okay. Sounds like a plan."

"You up for the deal?" Kim raised her hand for a fist bump.

Pie smacked her closed fist to Kim's. "Deal."

---

"Now, where is that little lady?"

Kim is tapping her fingers on the steering wheel, having doubts now if Pie is showing or not. She's been in her car for the last fifteen minutes and there's no trace of Pie yet anywhere.

Kim turned the radio on and rested her head on the back seat. She tried to recall if she had given Pie the right direction to her car's location. After few more seconds, she finally got a glimpse of a shadow walking towards the entrance. She smiled. She knows that shadow well.

"Are you serious?" Kim whispered to herself after seeing Pie.

Pie had her shades on and her shawl is wrapped around her head. Although Kim thinks it's attractive, she knows the reason for Pie's appearance. She opened the door to the passenger's seat to let Pie in.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." Pie pulled the door and locked it. She removed her shawl and started fixing her hair.

"What's that?" asked Kim, referring to the shawl.

"It's called a disguise, Kim. I'm pretty sure you've heard about it."

"I know, but do you really have to do that?"

"I just don't want to be noticed by your fangirls. The pressure is still high for now."

They drove out of that building. While on the road, both were silent in the car while listening to the radio. Kim was peeking on Pie from time to time with her peripheral vision while Pie was looking out the window.

Getting filled with Pie's cuteness, Kim couldn’t hold off her feelings and produced an audible chuckle.

Pie noticed it. "Why are you smiling?"

“Nothing,” said Kim, still smiling, brushing aside her bangs off her eyes.

That’s when Pie’s attention was diverted to Kim’s hair. She stretched her arm to touch it.

"Hey — " Kim felt the tickling sensation all over her body just because Pie touched her head. "W-what are you doing, Pie?"

"I just noticed that your hair is long," said Pie, Kim's hair with her fingers, "and it's soft."

Kim scratched her head. "Yeah, but at least let me know first if you're touching me, I'm driving, you know..."

Pie removed her hand and smiled. "Why, is it a ticklish spot?"

"Y-yeah..."

Pie leaned closer. "I'm just wondering, don't you like it short?"

"I like it shorter since it's more manageable and comfortable."

"Then why let it grow?"

"Well..."

"Well...?"

Kim doesn't have any reason at all, so she told the truth, "Nam. She wants it this way."

Pie felt disappointed. Since yesterday she'd tried her best not to talk about Nam. Although she's been dying to know if Nam and Kim had spoken already, she's still afraid to ask any updates about it. She knows that Nam is someone that she can't compete with in terms of Kim's attention.

"She used to pony my hair before when she goes to my place,” Kim continued, her eyes on the road. “She says that I look like a cute little kid with that.”

"You maintained your hair for her to see it when she comes back?" asked Pie, getting a nod from Kim. "Do you want her back?"

It took time for Kim to answer, "Honestly, I don't know. If you asked me that question six months ago there's no doubt I'd say yes. But now, I'm not sure anymore."

"Why?"

"Like you said, Nam and I really need to talk. Maybe we need closure. Or maybe we just need to figure out what we really feel for each other. I'm not even sure how I'd feel if I'd see her with her boyfriend."

"What if... what if you saw them and you realized that you’re jealous of her boyfriend, what would you do?"

Kim hasn't thought of that yet so she tried to imagine the scenario in her mind. "In case I'll get overly jealous of the dude then it will just prove that I still love her. If that happens then..." she paused for a while, still imagining things in her mind, "...then I might as well try, to the best of my luck, to win her back."

Pie turned her gaze outside. She felt the rush of unexplainable feelings in her chest. It just made her think, is there anything that Kim would do for her too?

They were silent again until they reached Pie's house. Kim was a bit disappointed because their trip wasn't as fun as she was expecting. Pie seemed to have been attacked by her mood swings.

"We're here," said Kim.

"Kim..."

"Yeah?"

"Do you still remember the game we played at the resort?"

Kim smiled. "How could I forget that? You tricked me to my defeat."

Pie smiled at the memory as well. "Do you remember the deal we made?"

"You said that the loser should do anything the winner wishes, right?"

"I've already made up my mind on what I'd like you to do."

Kim felt troubled seeing the sly smile on Pie's face. "W-what is it?"

"Let it be until the end of the year, but on the first day of next year," Pie stopped for a second and then pointed a finger, "I want you to get a haircut."

Kim's jaw dropped. "Please tell me you're not serious."

"I am, Kim, I am."

"B-but that's —"

"No more buts, Kim. I've made up my mind."

Kim's mouth opened, but no words came out.

"And if you won't do that, I won't talk to you again, ever," said Pie, sounding more serious this time.

Kim stared at Pie. Pie can't tell what Kim is thinking.

"Got it?" Pie asked to reassure.

A smile of defeat slipped across Kim's face. "Oh, Pie..."

Pie stretched out her arm to tease Kim by caressing her hair again. Kim's obvious tickled reaction made Pie laugh.

"Bye, Kim. Thanks for the ride." Then she went out and pushed the car door closed.

---

A/N: The next part was inspired by this video. Try listening and find out if you'll feel something while reading the next scene. The piece fits the entire page if you read it in somewhat slower pace.

Kim entered her room, closed the door, and threw her keys on the table. She sat on the couch, bringing both her hands to her nape. She looked up the ceiling, her mind flying somewhere else.

It was just last Saturday when this place was so luminous.

She smiled. Pie has been continually lingering on her thoughts these past few days. She may not admit it at first but Pie has been her source of happiness lately, her source of excitement, a reason why she's so excited to go to the office every day.

She recalled the moments when Pie was sitting at her dining, how Pie looked gorgeous in her shirt. She remembered Pie's sweet smile and how it sends her to ecstasy every time. The way Pie calls her name, it's like a lullaby in her ears. Everything about Pie just invites Kim.

Even though she's been having these weird feelings lately, it's just now that everything sunk into her. She just smiled at her realization.

"Oh, Pie."

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, remembering the sensation of Pie's fingers on her hair. She reacted so hard with what Pie had done not because she got tickled, but because she loved that sensation that's bringing shivers down her spine.

Kim smiled again, a sweet soft smile. She might have had a hard time when Nam left but everything changed when Pie came into the picture. It's like Pie, in her own unique ways, had revived or awoken something inside Kim.

It doesn't matter what Pie does: laugh at her, , or scold her. Kim feels like she wants to surrender herself to Pie.

And then it all started coming back to her: the first day they talked at the ladies' room, the first sarcastic smile Pie gave her in the coaster, the first time Pie called her by her name, the first time they talked alone in the rain, the game they played while it was raining, the warmth of her body, Pie being drunk, her sweet scent, her lovely smile, her beautiful back. Everything is just all coming back. Kim even had to shift her position on the couch to contain the emotion rush in her chest.

She shook her head and laughed at herself. She put her right hand on her chest, feeling the fast beat of her heart. She took a deep breath once again.

Sigh...

...I know...

...I know this might sound...

...crazy...

...yeah... crazy...

...but I...

...I think...

...yes...

...I think I...

She smiled one last time before admitting it to herself.

...I think I'm already in love with you, Pie.