Tears

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

7:00 pm

The party is being held in a hotel grand ball. Everyone was asked to wear either cocktail dress & suits — if they prefer it — or smart casual attire.

Zee, who looks exquisitely handsome in her suit, drove Pie and Jane there. Pie wore a simple black off shoulder dress while Jane wore something extravagant, a full-skirted red cocktail gown curving the shape of her body.

Puey bought his boyfriend along while May and Dang, who were almost done with their internship, came in together too.

She knows that she should be enjoying now but Pie feels like something is still missing. She hasn't seen Kim yet. She keeps on glancing at the graphics team's table to check if the only missing member has finally arrived. Not too long her hopes started building up when she saw Kim and Yam came in together. Although limping a bit, Kim is able to walk now without a crutch.

Yam is wearing an elegant green dress while Kim wears simple smart casual attire: black slacks, v-neck shirt inside, and a gray wool coat. They went first to greet Pie's team, where a little punching and nudging battle happened between Kim and Zee, then they went straight to sit at graphics team table.

Pie watched Kim and Yam as they walk away from them, determined to do one thing tonight.

---

9:00 pm

Pie had already abandoned the plan of talking to Kim. Her mood has been ruined since the party had started. It's not because she doesn't have a partner but because a certain couple keeps on irritating her. For the nth time that night she had tried to fight the temptation of looking at them just to realize in the end that she still keeps glancing back.

Pie is trying to stay calm by pretending to be happy, talking with Puey and the others. The feeling that she thought would go away lingered instead, and it went worse as the night passes by. It's like a poison that slowly builds up in her chest, gradually getting heavier, making her feel like she just wants to explode.

"Hey, you sure you're alright?" Jane asked her for the third time already.

"Yeah. I'm just not feeling quite well, maybe getting a fever or something," Pie answered lazily.

Jane brought her hand to Pie's forehead to check her temperature. "Do you want to go home now? I could ask Zee to drive you..."

"No, I'm fine, Jane. Let's just enjoy this night."

Out of the blue, a loud laughter from the graphics team caught some attention. Of course, Pie couldn’t control herself again from looking. She saw Yam laughing with the entire team, one hand on Kim's thigh.

Pie quickly averted her gaze and sighed.

"Are they together yet?" asked Jane, looking at the same table.

"I don't know," said Pie, uninterested. She sliced the chocolate cake on her plate and took a bite. "Maybe Zee knows something?"

"Uh, no," said Zee, making an 'x' sign with her arms. "Kim isn't the type of friend who shares things like this."

"But I thought you were the best buddies?" asked Jane.

"Yes, we are, but Kim doesn't love confiding about girls unless she's having a problem. Unless there's no issue yet, I don't think she will share details about her thing with that Yam."

Pie bit the inside of her cheek, thinking if Zee already knows what happened between her and Kim.

"I could ask her straight if you two are really curious," said Zee.

"Let's just assume that they are together,” said Pie, not wanting to hear more about them. “Even if they aren't official yet it's pretty obvious now that's where they'll head, right?"

"Maybe," said Jane, glancing one more time at the other table. “But I thought Kim is in love with another girl?"

Pie and Zee looked at each other quick, as if knowing what the other is thinking.

"Uh, that, uh… I don't know what happened to them," said Zee, "The last time we talked about that girl was before the accident."

"Have you even met her?" Jane followed up.

Zee rubbed the side of her neck with her palm. "Uhh…"

"Alright ladies and gents, the ball is now open for anyone who would like to dance. The real party has started!"

Everyone screamed in excitement after the host's announcement. People started swarming towards the dance floor. The formal ambiance is now turned to a rowdy atmosphere. Men in suits took their coats off and folded their sleeves up. Some women in dresses didn't mind dancing without their heels. Others were prepared enough to bring extra attire.

"Your highness, would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the dance floor?" asked Zee, offering a hand to Jane.

"It'll be my pleasure," said Jane, taking Zee's hand. She got up and turned to Pie before leaving. "We'll be right back."

"Go ahead, enjoy..." said Pie, shooing them away.

Pie is glad that not all the members of her team were in the mood to dance, giving her some company while waiting there. She took that opportunity to observe the couple from the other table. Somehow she’s glad that Kim still hasn't fully recovered yet, making it easier for her to resist fangirls asking her to dance along.

Ugh. How would I be able to talk to her if that Yam won't leave her side even for a second?

Pie couldn't get rid of the heavy feeling inside her chest and it's clouding her mind now. She can't think clearly. She can't even hear the music. Her eyes are locked only at them. She tried to look away many times but as much as she doesn't want to see them happy, she can't help but check what they've been doing from time to time.

Pie couldn't count how many times she sighed that night. The need to fill her lungs with oxygen arises each time she sees them laughing at each other, smiling like no one else matters. It just made her think: is there still a point talking to Kim tonight? Would that even help in changing the current situation? What if Kim is really over her?

Pie knows it. She's not okay. Not at all. Right from the start, the moment she saw them came in, she was not okay. Isn't it ironic how she loved seeing Kim's smile and despised it at the same time just because those smiles were meant for another person?

If I had been brave enough that should have been me, right?

Then the most unexpected thing happened. She felt her heart jump when she saw them get up from their chairs, Yam gesturing a hand to the dance floor. Pie unconsciously placed a hand on her chest.

Dug! Dug!

The two walked towards the crowd with Yam patiently assisting the limping Kim.

Dug! Dug!

Pie literally felt a pinch in her heart when she saw Yam guiding Kim's arms around her waist, then she hangs her arms loosely around Kim's neck.

Dug! Dug!

Despite the loud disco music, Yam and Kim started swaying together, slowly yet sweetly.

Dug! Dug!

Pie feels another shortness in her breathing. The heavy weight on her chest makes her want to burst now. She can literally feel her heart erratically beating at the moment.

Dug! Dug!

"Pie?"

She didn't notice that Jane has already approached her. Her eyes were locked on the dance floor.

Dug! Dug!

Yam moved closer, hooking her chin on Kim's shoulder. Kim whispered something to her ear and it made her giggle.

Dug! Dug!

Yam pulled away and stared at Kim's face, a sweet smile plastered on hers. She held Kim's cheek with both hands...

Dug! Dug! Dug!

...and slowly... Yam leaned forward to...

Pie looked away immediately and stood up from her chair. Her vision is blurry now. She aimed for the exit but someone grabbed her by the arm.

"Pie, what's wrong?"

Pie turned to Jane quick, still trying to hold off the rainfall. "I don't know... I don't know..." she said, shaking her head. She yanked her hand away and strode towards the exit.

Jane tried to call out one more time but her friend didn't turn back. She trailed where Pie was looking at and saw the 'scene'. Right there and then she knew it.

Zee, who saw what just happened, held Jane by her waist. "I think you should follow her. I'll try to talk to Kim too."

---

Due to her blurred vision, Pie doesn't know where her feet had brought her. She felt the need to run away from the crowd. She ends up in someplace that looks like a garden or a playground. She's not sure herself. She clasped for something that seemed to be a back of a chair to support her shaking body. She sat onto it and broke her defenses down entirely as she lets all her grief be washed away by her tears.

Pie can't take the image off her mind. She saw how Yam's face moved closer to Kim's. It's all clear to her now. It's over. Everything about her and Kim is over now.

But what she can't accept is the fact that she knew she had the chance, she was just too dumb to take it, and now it's all gone.

"Pie..."

All her inhibitions faded when she felt Jane rub her back. Pie couldn't hold it this time, everything flowed out. Her sobs grew louder as it shakes her small frame.

"Just cry it all out," said Jane, sitting down beside her, "it'll lessen the pain somehow."

"Is it... is it really supposed to hurt this way, Jane...?"

"Yes it is, Pie. It is..." said Jane, still rubbing Pie’s back. "It hurts that way because you love her."

Pie turned her body to face Jane and wiped her tears with her hands, which is pointless because tears just keep rolling down from her eyes.

"I always thought that this is just a phase... something that will go away in time..." said Pie, trembling, "...but it didn't..."

Jane let out a sigh, couldn't help but feel sorry for her friend.

"Was... was I wrong for being scared, Jane, was I?"

"No, no, you're not. That's perfectly normal," said Jane, brushing the remaining stray hair away from Pie's face. "You were struggling so hard because you never thought that you'd fall for someone like her, right?"

"But it is my fault.... She... she confronted me about it and I pushed her away.... And now look at me... crying over her because she's found someone new..." Pie voice was all nasally due to her stuffy nose.

"Shhh..." Jane pulled her friend for a hug. "What do you want to do now?"

"I just wanna go home, Jane..."

"Don't you want to talk to Kim first?"

"No... I don't want to see her for now, please..."

Jane continues to rub her friend's back as she lets out a sigh. "Okay... okay..."

---

"W-what was that for?"

Kim is stunned by what just happened. Although the kiss neither touched her lips nor her cheek, still, it left her dumbfounded.

"That's for the final blow," said Yam with a smirk, fixing Kim's collar.

"Huh?"

"I needed to pull out a show for your girl to realize what she really feels for you."

That made Kim look at Pie's table and found her not there. "You —"

"I made her jealous," said Yam, shrugging. "I had to make her feel that I'm so into you so she'll feel alarmed. Not that I'm not into you. I mean, I like you but not really romantically."

Kim scratched the top of her head in confusion. "I don't get it."

Yam rolled her eyes. "Now go, just follow her. She ran out after I kissed you."

"Ran out?"

"No more questions for now, okay. Go after her and patch things up. I'll answer your questions some other time."

"B-but what about you?"

"I can drive myself home, Kim."

"You sure?"

"Definite. Now off you go before I get mad at you," said Yam, shooing Kim. "Just make sure that the next call I'll be receiving from you is good news, okay?"

That made Kim smile. "Sure. I owe you big time, Yam."

---

Kim saw her handsome friend in suit walking towards her.

"Dude, what the hell was that? I thought you love Pie?" asked Zee.

"Of course, I do love her. You know that, right?"

"You love her? Then what was that thing with Yam?"

Kim grunted as she pinched the bridge of her nose. "It's hard to explain things now. But please tell me where Pie is. I really need to talk to her."

"You better fix this or else Jane will kill you," said Zee, leading the way out.

---

The two looked around but couldn't find Jane and Pie. It is when they've finally decided to go back inside when they spotted Jane walking alone towards the entrance.

Kim, who was still limping, approached Jane as fast as she could. "Where is she?"

"I helped her get a cab. She's on her way home now."

"What? I... I need to follow her," said Kim, fishing her car key from her pocket.

Jane tapped her shoulder. "No need, Kim. It won't work for now. Let her anger subside first. I suggest you talk to her tomorrow."

"But —"

"You won't be able to fix it tonight, I can assure you that."

"But Jane..."

"She might be right, dude," said Zee, putting her arm around Kim's shoulder. "The damage looks bad. Let Pie cool down for a while. Settle this tomorrow."

Kim stared at Zee and Jane for long before she sighed in defeat. "Fine."

"Maybe you should go home too, dude. You look tired."

"No, no. No one's going home yet," said Jane, making the two look at her. "No one's going home unless you two tell me what exactly is happening here."

---

Pie hurried into her room and closed the door, not wanting her mom to see her crying. However, it was a futile effort because her mom came knocking at her door right away.

"Pie, dear, what happened?"

"Just... just work issues, mom. I'm going to sleep now," said Pie, trying to make her voice sound as clear as possible.

"No, you're not okay, dear..."

"I'm fine, mom, just leave me alone for now..."

"Is this because of Mike?"

"Mike and I are okay. It really is work issues, don't worry about me..."

Pie was glad that there was silence after that. She thought her mom won't push it until she heard the voice from behind the door again, "Or is this because of that Suzuki Swift owner friend of yours?"

Pie whipped her head to the door, bewildered.

"Kimhan Buranaphan, right?"

"H-how did —"

"Why don't you open your door first so we could talk better?"

Pie obeyed right away. The door revealed her mom leaning against the door frame with crossed arms. "Don't you realize that I have my connections to look up the owner of that car's plate number?"

Pie grimaced at her stupidity. But then she's had enough for the day. She doesn't have strength to discuss and explain things anymore. "I don't want to argue with you on this, mom," she said, plopping back down her bed. "And for the sake of your peace of mind, we're not together, okay?"

"So, it really is because of her?" it came more like of a statement rather than a question.

As much as Pie wants to take the idea off her mind it keeps on recurring to her. And in no time she felt something forming in her eyes again

"Mom, please.... I don't want to cry again.... I just want to sleep.... I still have work tomorrow..."

Sensing her daughter is about to break down, the older lady sat down beside Pie. "Tell me, what happened?"

Pie thought she had already cried everything out; from the hotel to Jane, and in the cab, but she felt the ache coming back and her eyes were teary all over. She started sobbing again.

"Why does it have to be so painful, mom...?" said Pie, her voice breaking.

Instead of getting mad she was weakened by the agony of her daughter. "What has she done to you?"

"Nothing.... I was the one who hurt her first.... I told her that I cannot be with her. And now I can't stand seeing her with someone else..."

"Oh, darling..."

"I did it because I know you won't accept it, you won't accept her; you won't accept us, right?"

"B-but I thought you like Mike?"

Pie shook her head. "What I felt for Mike is nothing compared to what I'm feeling for her. I just couldn't admit it to myself before..."

Pie cupped a hand over to stifle her sobbing. Her tears kept on wetting the pillow her head is resting on. She thought she was okay after all the crying earlier but it feels like she's back to square one.

"I'm sorry, mom…"

"What are you apologizing for, dear?"

"I'm sorry for being like this... for disappointing you..."

"Oh, dear..."

"I've tried to stay away from her.... I don't know how it happened. The next thing I knew is I can't go on a day without seeing or even hearing her voice..."

Her mom sighed in response.

"And I'm sorry for keeping this secret from you, mom..."

The older lady rubbed Pie's arm and said, "Didn't you think that I already have an idea about it?"

"What? H-how?"

"Oh, c'mon, Pie. I'm not dumb not to notice how your mood is so vibrant each time that red Suzuki Swift drives you home or picks you up. It's something that I've never seen before from you, that's why I investigate."

"Then why didn't you say something?" asked Pie, sitting up.

"I was waiting for you to tell it to me first. I thought it was just a simple crush so I didn't bother to confront you about it. But as time goes by it seems to me that's it's getting deeper, that's when I forced you to go out with Mike," her mom admitted.

Pie put her hand up to her neck dimple and looked away.

"I thought that going out with him would bring your old feelings back, but as I can see it, it didn't work. That Kimhan has surely something, huh," Pie’s mom said, lightly chuckling at that.

Pie was able to make out a small smile, mentally agreeing to her mom.

"Let me clear it up for you, I still don't want you having that kind of relationship…"

Pie looked down and nodded.

"...but at the same time, I don't want to see you cry like this again because of me..."

Pie looked up to her mom.

"I know how it hurts to lose someone you love, I've been there when you dad left us," her mom said, Pie's hair. "But it's more painful to know that you love each other but you can't be together because the others just can't accept it."

"Mom —"

Pie’s mom hugged her suddenly. "Oh, dear, I should be the one apologizing because I've caused you so much pain. Didn't you think that I notice how slowly you were dying these past few weeks? Was it because of her too?"

Pie nodded. "But I'm gonna be fine, mom, don't worry..."

"I'd like to make it up to you. I'd like you to know what or how it feels to be loved by someone you love. I'd like to see that smile again on your face that I only see each time that red car drives you home."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't hold yourself back now, if there's still a chance, get her back and smile again," said the older lady, giving a warm smile.

Pie's eyes widened.

"But on one condition," her mom said, raising an index finger, "if everything goes okay, bring her here to meet me."

"Oh." Pie bit her lower lip in hesitation.

"I promise I won't kill her, okay? I'll just skin her alive."

"Mom!"

The older lady laughed. "I'm kidding, okay? As long as she doesn't hurt you I'll keep the knives in the shelf. Is that clear?"

Tears formed again in Pie's eyes, not because she's hurting but because she's feeling close to her mom more than ever. "Thanks, mom. I love you..."

"Now stop crying there and get some sleep, okay?" the older lady said, wiping her daughter's tears with her thumbs. She hugged her again. "I love you too."