Newcomer

HERSHE (TIAOM)

It was Thursday, 7:57 am, when a woman was seen hurrying to get into the elevator before the doors close. Good thing there was a good guy who looked back and held the door for her.

She said her thanks to the guy while she carefully fits her small frame in the crowd, making sure that the espresso to-go she's holding is still in one piece.

As soon as the doors opened to her desired floor, she went out immediately — almost running — trying to make it to her station before the clock strikes eight o'clock.

"On the dot, Pie, huh..."

Pie heard a voice from behind. She saw her friend approaching. "Hey, Jane, how are you?"

"I'm a bit stressed. My partner wasn't here for few days," said Jane, rolling her eyes. "I'm surprised, though. I thought you'll be on leave until Friday?"

Pie chuckled at her friend's reaction. "It was a three-day vacation. I cannot afford to have a whole week off and attend countless unfinished tasks when I get back. That's suicide," she said while logging into her PC.

"Now that you mention it, I have been rendering OTs these last 3 days just to somehow make it up with the clients."

"I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you, I promise," said Pie, letting out a guilty sweet smile.

"It's okay. It's nearly the end of the year and you haven't taken a single leave yet. You must unwind from time to time, Pie. You're so workaholic," said Jane, waving her hand.

"Not really. I just don't want to take an off and get a double load of work after. It just doesn't make sense."

"Whatever. I'm still glad you took an off. At least."

After successfully logging in, Pie composed herself by leaning her on the table with her coffee in her right hand. "So, how are things here?"

Jane positioned herself too beside Pie. "Well, same old stuff. Nothing new."

"I guess we should start doing the articles now. Can you email me all the —"

"Oh, ," blurted Jane out of the blue, her eyes trailing on something.

Getting interrupted, Pie followed her friend's line of sight and saw a guy walking towards the ladies' room. She can't picture out the person's face clearly because he is wearing a cap.

Then it hit her.

"Did that guy just enter the ladies' room?" asked Pie, shocked.

Jane sighed, slightly rolling her eyes. "Pie, she is not a guy."

"What? Why does she look like that?"

"I'm sure you have seen a tomboy at least once in your life, right?" asked Jane. "You have to admit, that one is a real hottie."

Pie grimaced. "Oh, c'mon. You know I don't swing that way."

"But did you see her face? She's cute, right?"

It made Pie cringe even more. Call it old-fashioned, but she still can't grasp the idea of a female getting attracted to another female.

"Seriously? Jane? You're asking me that question?"

Jane, knowing that her friend is homophobic, decided not to push through. "Okay, I know you're not really into this, but could you please help me on this one? I'd like to get to know her."

"Help you with what? Wait, wait, wait.... How long has she been working here? Why didn't I notice her before?"

"She just started here this week, Monday, and you were on your leave, remember?"

"Oh, I see. Which department?"

"Graphics. Van's department."

"Ahh, that's why you needed my help..." said Pie, deadpan.

"Exactly. I'm pretty sure Van missed you so much. Why don't we pay him a visit instead?" said Jane, looping her arm through Pie's.

"I could send him a message and just tell him to go here."

"No! Let's just go to their department, please?" Jane pleaded, making Pie roll her eyes. "Please, please, pretty please? I just really want to get to know her. You told me you'd make it up to me, right?"

Knowing that she can't say no anymore, Pie pinched the bridge of her nose. "Ugh. Why didn't you introduce yourself last Monday or yesterday? You didn't have to wait for me."

"I'm embarrassed, Pie. I know you'll never believe me, but I really feel shy around her..." admitted Jane.

Pie wanted to say 'no', but Jane's unfaltering puppy-look seem to have won over. "Fine. Fine. Just this once, okay?"

"Eeeeee!" Jane jumped in excitement, forgetting that she's in the office. "Oops..."

Pie shook her head, smirking. "You're crazy."

"I'm crazy about her!" Jane giggled. "And you know what? A lot of ladies have been lurking around this floor since she came in. Van's department has been getting a lot of female visitors lately."

That finally ticked Pie's curiosity. "Really? Wow, she must be a real catch."

"You want to see her too?"

"Just curious. But still, I'm not interested."

"That's good. At least you're not my competition."

"That will never happen, Jane." Pie grabbed her bag and fished for something inside. "Lemme just look for the souvenir I bought for Van so we have a valid excuse to go there. I don't want to get accused of something that's not my interest."

"Eeeee! Thanks, Pie!"

---

The Graphics Department is composed of less than ten employees, with Van being the immediate supervisor. Pie doesn't like the idea of going there often because she feels uncomfortable being alone in a male-dominated room. She prefers talking to Van in some other places instead, in case her team needs something done from them.

"Hi, Van!" said Jane gleefully upon entering the room.

The man in the front terminal couldn't hide the smile smearing across his face. He rose up to greet his visitors.

"Hi, Jane. And, Pie, I thought you're on leave?"

"I decided not to take a week-long vacation. I foresee myself swimming in paper works on Monday," said Pie.

"Right... right..." Van's obvious gladness to see Pie reflected in his chuckle. "I... uh... I missed you..." he whispered, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Eeee... someone's in love..." Jane teased.

Pie gave her friend a quick glare before handing Van a small box. "For you."

"For me?"

"You're so kind to give me souvenirs during your travels. I just thought of returning the favor."

"Thank you." Van flipped the box on his hand, still smiling from ear-to-ear. "Did you guys bother yourselves coming over here just to give this?"

"No. We're here because a good friend of mine wants to meet your new staff," said Pie, side-glancing Jane.

Jane cleared loudly.

"Oh." Van smiled, getting what it meant. "These past few days were crazy. I've been getting a lot of visitors. They're looking for me but I think they just want to check out somebody here."

"Where is she at?" asked Jane, scanning the room. Van pointed at the farthest terminal in that area and Jane stretched out her neck as far as she could. "What's her name? Could you introduce us?"

"Jane, I told you I'm not interested," Pie muttered.

Van laughed at Pie's reaction. He turned around and called out a name, "Kim..."

The person sitting at the farthest terminal, who by the way so busy like she's kissing her monitor, looked up to them. "Yes?"

Pie slightly raised an eyebrow. Her voice is still girlish.

Van moved aside to show the faces of their visitors. "Just want to introduce you to these two beautiful ladies here, Pie and Jane. They are the assigned writers for some of our clients. They are from another department but we work together with them once in a while."

The newbie raised her right hand for a wave. "Hi, I'm Kim!"

Although Pie can't see Kim's face much from her angle, she knew that Kim was smiling at them. She faked a smile and slightly shook her head.

Don't you dare think that I came here because I'm curious about you.

Jane immediately approached Kim. "Hi! I'm Jane!"

Pie couldn't believe what she's seeing.

This woman is really something. Do I remember someone telling me earlier that she was shy?

"You know, I'm starting to feel envious of Kim," said Van, making Pie look at him. "Since she came here last Monday, a lot of girls have been visiting us. This is the first time it happened considering that, aside from Nerd, we're all boys here."

"Hmmm. What exactly are they doing here?"

"I dunno." Van shrugged. "Maybe checking her out? Asking questions and stuff? But yeah, it's really nothing important."

"Wow. Some kind of a welcome for a newcomer, huh? And how does she take it? The visitors?" Pie glanced back at Kim's direction but Jane is already blocking the view.

"Well, I have to admit that Kim gave a satisfactory first impression," said Van, playing the souvenir box in his hands. "She is kind and gentle, not to mention that she's really good in designing. I've been working with her for days now and see no attitude problems so far. She entertains everyone with a smile; maybe a reason why they kept on coming back here."

Both their attention was caught by Jane's sudden flirtatious laugh. Pie smiled secretly.

Hmm, I bet someone is having a good day, huh.

Still, her mind just can't contain the idea of females going crazy over another good-looking female. Whatever quake this newcomer has brought to their office, Pie is surely not affected by it.

---

Friday

It was after lunch and as part of her daily routine, Pie is heading to the washroom to brush her teeth. She's walking slowly, thinking about how she almost lost her patience with Jane earlier who keeps talking about Kim the entire morning.

It's not only Jane. Majority of the population in their office were thrilled to meet the new employee. Pie cannot fathom why everyone is making a big fuss out of it to the point that it's starting to irritate her.

She was about to enter the ladies' room when she was blocked by the two girls walking out. They were giggling.

"So handsome!"

"Did you notice that she looked at me first?"

Pie shook her head and followed the two girls with her eyes. She knew those two are talking about the good-looking newcomer. Her mind was too occupied to notice that another person was coming out of the door.

"Oops, sorry," a gentle-apologetic voice said after they slightly bumped into each other.

Pie looked up and gawked at the sight in front of her. She didn't notice that was ajar. This is the first time she got a complete view of this newcomer. Pie is standing at Kim's eye level even with her 3' heeled-shoes.

When their eyes met, Kim smiled.

She finally got the chance to witness the legendary smile that majority of the women in her office fell for. It wasn't as epic as she was expecting but she had to admit that a jolt hit her body. With that instant moment, she finally understood the reason why people are were dazzled by this newcomer.

"S-sorry," Pie mumbled.

. Why am I stuttering?

"It's okay, no worries."

Pie smelled the strong scent of a mouthwash coming from Kim's mouth. It made her look into Kim's lips which are so red now. Good thing it was her that Kim had bumped into. The whole office might be surprised to see a kissing scene near the ladies' room if it had been Jane.

Kim was about to walk out of the scene. Noticing it, Pie moved to her left to let Kim pass. However, Kim moved in the same direction, her way still being blocked by Pie.

Pie moved to her right instead to give way, realizing that Kim did the same.

"Oh my..." Kim chuckled.

Pie didn't notice that she was smiling too. That mouthwash surely smells good, huh.

"Okay, let's do it this way," said Kim, gripping on Pie's shoulders. "You go to your right, and I'll go to my right, okay?"

Wearing an off-shoulder top, Pie felt the warmness of Kim's palm on her exposed shoulders. She nodded, not really sure if she understood what she was told.

"Okay." Kim went right and started walking away from that area.

Pie continued walking inside the ladies' room. She put down her things on the rack and placed both her hands on the edge of the counter. She took a deep breath and stared at herself in the mirror, feeling her heart which is beating like two times faster now.

. What did just happen?