079. Hurt Shoulder

Life As It Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

[A/N: This is a double update (YAY) go back one chapter if you haven't read the previous one!]

 

 

Jungkook didn’t feel comfortable sitting with Namjoon and Jimin, casually eating the takeout chicken that Namjoon bought, at the sidewalk. They were sitting in open air. Any of his father’s men who were following him (he was pretty certain there were always at least two constantly following him around since he lashed his fist out at his father’s secretary) could see them, and they would report it to his father. That also meant that aside from Taehyung, any one of them both could be the next one to-

 

“Yah, stop thinking so much about it and eat up!” Namjoon chuckled and shoved a piece right into Jungkook’s mouth, causing the sauce to stain around his lips.

 

At the sight of Jungkook’s hilarious image, Jimin threw his head back laughing. Jungkook frowned at him in confusion but that only caused the boy to double up further in laughter. Namjoon chuckled at him and pushed the napkin onto Jungkook mouth. Jungkook moved his head away in frustration. He snatched the napkin away from Namjoon and wiped his mouth.

 

“That’s not where the sauce is.” Namjoon said but Jungkook still couldn’t get it correct. That made Jimin start laughing again.

 

Jungkook threw Jimin a black face and stood up to leave but Jimin pulled Jungkook back to sit amidst his laughter.

 

“Don’t leave! I was joking. Sorry, sorry!!” Jimin tried to control his laugh.

 

“Eat up, kid.” Namjoon handed Jungkook a piece of chicken properly after wiping off the sauce for him.

 

Jungkook stared at it and Jimin eventually shut up and urged him to take it. The youngest boy slowly took it and ate it.

 

“Now, feed me.” Jimin joked and Namjoon smacked the back of his head, forgetting that the hand he used had chicken sauce on it. When Jimin saw the smeared sauce on Namjoon’s hand as he retracted it, he widened his eyes. “-YAHHHHH!!”

 

Jungkook watched the two of his friends tackle each other — Namjoon holding onto Jimin’s hands, preventing the latter from smearing his face with sauce as revenge. Having fun like this was his life before everyone found out who his family were, before his father met the people he called friends, before his father harmed his friends. Watching them, Jungkook unconsciously let his walls come down and smiled freely at them.

 

When he did that, he felt like a weight was lifted up from his shoulders. He chose not to care about his father’s men that were watching him from in front of a few shops down the road. Without the extra effort he put to be constantly wary of them, he could join Namjoon and Jimin more freely.

 

“Be selfish for yourself.”                                

 

 

The three of them went back to the hospital after they were done eating (and after Jimin gave up trying to dirty Namjoon’s face with the sauce). The room was dark when Namjoon peaked through the glass and he quietly pushed open the door.

 

“He’s sleeping already?” Jimin whispered.

 

They looked into the room and saw Taehyung sound asleep, with the backrest of his bed a quarter-way lifted up. Namjoon went and lower it till it was flat

 

***

 

Jungkook entered the house and saw most of the lights off, with the exception of the usual kitchen light. He placed his shoes on the rack and adjusted his bag over his shoulder. When his hands brushed over his shoulder, he remembered what he saw in the hospital room when Hoseok patted Yujin’s shoulder.

 

Just then, Yujin came down the stairs, making a wave of shock spread through Jungkook’s body because she was really quiet and he was just thinking about her.

 

“You’re back.” Yujin noted. “-how was day one of the one-week trial?”

 

Jungkook was distracted by the thought in his mind and didn’t hear what she said. Yujin took it as him being unresponsive again and walked to the kitchen to refill the bottle of water she had in her room. The boy was snapped out of his distracted mind when he saw her reaching out to the considerably heavy kettle with her hand. He widened his eyes and rushed over.

 

Yujin just wanted to fill up her bottle with water, she didn’t expect a sharp pain hitting her shoulder when she took the kettle up and in unconscious reflex, she flinched and her grasp loosened over the kettle.

 

“SHI-”

 

She lifted up her right leg, anticipating the kettle to fall onto the ground. At the last minute, the kettle got stopped, but some of the water splashed out along with the cover that fell out onto the floor.

 

Yujin stood there, speechless at what just happened while Jungkook placed the kettle back onto the countertop, picked up the cover and placed it next to the kettle. His eyes quickly scanned Yujin.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked.

 

She dumbly nodded. “I’m fine.”

 

“No you’re not.”

 

Yujin’s temper was flaring up because of the shock and she glared up at him over his words. “I said I’m fi-“

 

Jungkook stopped her when he prodded her shoulder and she shouted mid-sentence.

 

“You’re not.” he concluded and before Yujin got to say anything, he opened the cupboard with the first aid kit and pushed her towards the couch.

 

He sat her down, careful to avoid touching her shoulder a second time. She looked like she was confused as to why her shoulder hurt. Now that the kettle hurt her and after Jungkook put pressure on the same spot, it was throbbing. She rolled her sleeves all the way up and saw the small area of discolouring near the joint in her shoulder.

 

No wonder Kim Taehyung asked if I was left or right handed.

 

Jungkook went over and observed what was wrong with her shoulder and saw the bruise. He also noticed how slim her arm was, but that wasn’t part of what he was supposed to be observing so he brushed that thought away as quick as it came.

 

One thing he forgot when he brought out the first aid kit was that he had not even a single little bit of medical knowledge. It was always Jimin who would do things like these if he saw any one of them hurt.

 

Jimin, and also Minyu back then, but Minyu was almost as bad as Jungkook was with a first aid kit.

 

Both of them sat on the couch staring at the first aid kit.

 

“What’re you doing?” Yujin asked.

 

“I’m gonna call Jimin.” Jungkook said and took out his cellphone.

 

Yujin pushed his hand down. “Forget it, this will just heal on its own.”

 

“No, it won’t.”

 

“It will, just like the bruise I got from blocking the wooden stick before.” Yujin mindlessly said and shook her wrist that took the hit before.

 

It took two seconds before Jungkook understood what she was talking about. When he did, he took out his cellphone immediately and made Yujin sit back down.

 

“OH! What’s up??” Yujin could hear Jimin’s loud voice from Jungkook’s cellphone.

 

“What am I supposed to do with a bruise?” Jungkook asked shortly.

 

“WHY ARE YOU HURT?! WHO HIT YOU??”

 

Jungkook clicked his tongue and hung up unhappily. Yujin almost laughed at his face.

 

“Just so you know, I have no idea how to use that kit.” she told him. “-I’m leaving-“

 

“Sit down.” Jungkook ordered.

 

At the unusual appearance of Jungkook’s demanding side, Yujin sat back down again. She watched him bite his lips as he hovered his finger over Jimin’s name on his cellphone screen. All of a sudden, his device lit up and started buzzing and he nearly let it slip off his palm. He picked up Jimin’s call and Yujin could hear Jimin fussing over where Jungkook had been hurt.

 

“!!” Jungkook exploded and that made Jimin shut up for a while. He breathed out slowly. “-I’m not hurt.”

 

“Then who is?”

 

“The damned shortie.”

 

And then the line went dead.

 

Jungkook pried the cellphone away from his own ear and frowned at it.

 

“What?” Yujin asked.

 

“He hung up.”

 

“Hm. Whatever,” she said. “-don’t even bother doing anything.” She grabbed the first aid kit away from him and rolled down her sleeves. “-it’ll heal on its own.”

 

Jungkook stared at her with an unsatisfied look but he wasn’t about to go fighting her over the kit so he let her be and leaned back onto the couch. Once his back touched the backrest he remembered tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter