061. In Preparation for a Big Event.

Life As It Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After Jimin's re-confession, the eight of them went back to how they were before it. Yujin kept to her promise, not avoiding him but not treating him any better. Jimin did what he thought was appropriate as someone who showed interest to another person, just that he kept it to a minimum so as to not attract any attention from anyone else.

 

Everything was going well.

 

 

"Did you hear? The owners of Min's Hotels are having a charity gala next month!"

 

"Yeah! Is your family invited?"

 

"Of course! My parents are business partners with the owners!"

 

"Owhhh lucky you! I wish I could go!"

 

"Its just another gala."

 

"Its not just another gala, I heard their heir is going to attend!"

 

"What?? For real?? I never knew who he was. I heard he goes to our school though."

 

"Only very close friends of the family knows."

 

"He's either a shame to the family or a real treasure for them to keep it a secret for so long."

 

 

Yujin raised a brow at the conversation she was hearing as she lined up to take her food.

 

We're having a gala? Why is this the first time I'm hearing this?

 

She joined the usual table and started eating after sending a text to Suga. When the boy reached their table, he saw her message.

 

YUJIN:: back garden after food.

 

 

"What's up?" Suga asked. "-and get down from the tree."

 

Yujin complained that she just got up but came down nevertheless.

 

"I overheard some girls talking about a gala? How come I've not heard about this?"

 

Suga's eyes widened. "OHHHH I FORGOT TO TELL YOU!!"

 

Yujin hurriedly clamped a hand over his mouth. "Not so loud will you?!"

 

"Sorry!" Suga toned down. "-but yeah, I'll send you the details. Remind me tonight if I didn't."

 

"When is it?"

 

"29th." Suga said. "-mum asked if you wanted to go. I said I'd tell you about it."

 

"And you forgot." Yujin said in displease.

 

"Sorryyyy.." Suga laughed. "-but Jin hyung's and Hoseok's families are invited."

 

"I assume many others are invited as well." Yujin said.

 

"Yeah. I barely know half of the invited guests."

 

"What does that make me, then?" Yujin laughed lightly.

 

"An idiot."

 

Yujin rolled her eyes. "See you later."

 

***

 

Suga sent her a copy of the invite through kakaotalk and Yujin scrunched up her face.

 

Gala meant dressing up.

 

SUGA:: you have to go, it's my first official appearance!

 

YUJIN:: do I get an official appearance as daughter of the Min family as well?

 

SUGA:: that goes without saying..

 

YUJIN:: alright tell mum I'm going.

 

SUGA:: got it!

 

 

Jungkook wasn't at home till late at night for the next few days but nevertheless back before midnight or right after midnight. He wasn't with the boys either because Jimin asked him during lunch break as to why he wasn't hanging out with them as often at night any more. Suga wanted to ask but figured it was his own private matter.

 

Yujin on the other hand had no means of finding out what happened. Jungkook had been ignoring her texts as BHAngel or Minyu and it was impossible to start a normal conversation with him as Kang Yujin in the presence of the other boys.

 

She opted to sneak out to see if he was in the playground but for a week, he didn't show up.

 

 

Then he came.

 

Yujin was sitting in the playhouse, motionless and hidden. She heard rustling sounds of footsteps on the grass and decided to wait till the person came near enough.

 

Yujin was dumbfounded when she saw Jungkook. It was evident on her face. Jungkook got a shock because he didn't expect to see her there and he stumbled a little.

 

She eyed him up and down then kept her gaze on his face.

 

Jungkook donned a neat, white long sleeved shirt with a formal black pants that fitted perfectly. His thin, black tie hung loosely under his collar. His black blazer hung over his arm while his hair was styled neatly to the side.

 

Jeon Jungkook never looked so high class before.

 

"What.. is going on??" she asked.

 

Jungkook looked frustrated as if he didn't want anyone to see him in that style of clothes. Nevertheless, he gave up trying to leave, pegging it more troublesome to explain later than to just sit down and ignore Yujin.

 

Yujin didn't stop staring at him and eventually, Jungkook looked at her. "What?!"

 

She looked at his clothes and looked away with a shrug. "Nothing."

 

"If you're gonna ask just ask." Jungkook grumbled.

 

"Not my business right?" Yujin asked with a hint of a smile.

 

"Damned shortie.."

 

This time Yujin let out a short laugh.

 

"-what's with you now?" Jungkook frowned at her.

 

"Isn't it funny?" Yujin glanced his way. "-we used to talk more when you were always here. After staying in our house we don't talk as much any more."

 

It was true. When the both of them were still distant in terms of their odd friendship, they interacted more. Now that they were properly hanging out together in the group, both of them never had a decent conversation about cup noodles and stuff other than Yujin's short remarks to piss him off.

 

Jungkook remained silent.

 

Because I didn't think we'd ever be close. I don't want anyone getting any closer to me.

 

It'll be harder when we drift apart from being friends after getting close.

 

..you're all gonna hate me when you find out anyway.

 

For hiding about it.

 

 

"I was wondering though. Don't you have any other friends apart from those three?" Yujin asked and Jungkook shifted.

 

Apart from Minyu? No.

 

..that girl..

 

 

"-I take silence as a no in this case.." Yujin said.

 

Damned brat.. What about me?!

 

 

"-fine. I'm curious. What's up with that get up?" she finally asked and noted how uncomfortable Jungkook's expression turned.

 

"Some family dinner." he muttered.

 

"Hm." Yujin nodded. "-well, I'm gonna go back now. It's getting too cold. Oh and Yoongi is already asleep so don't worry about sneaking in if you don't want him to ask about.. this." She pointed at his clothes.

 

***

 

In no time, the news about the gala had spread throughout the whole school. Just the JYP part of the school. BH students had no interest in rick kids' events. It didn't involve them anyways.

 

Seokjin, Hoseok and Suga didn't talk about it in front of the other boys so they assumed they didn't know about it too.

 

Not a single slice of suspicion was placed on Suga as him being potentially the Min's Hotels heir. No one suspected it. If they did, it would have made rounds of discussion on the JYP website.

 

"Your schoolmates are either too dumb or too blind to overlook your presence." Yujin noted to Suga while the both of them relaxed in Hoseok's shop after school one day. "-I don't think there are many 'Min's in JYP.. Hasn't anyone thought of checking the school's database??"

 

Suga laughed at her. "I think they only remember me as Suga, since I made a fuss about not mentioning my real name." He rubbed his nose. "-and no, databases are strictly off-limits."

 

Hoseok joined them later, looking like he had things to say rather than just sitting down casually.

 

"What's up?" Suga asked.

 

"About the gala," Hoseok toned down carefully even though there weren't many customers in the shop. He glanced at Yujin with an unsure expression.

 

"He knows everything. Go on." Suga assured.

 

Hoseok nodded. "-can I get five more invites?"

 

"What? Why?" Suga asked. 

 

"My brother wanted to invite some friends." he said. "-you know the kid.. He won't invite anyone inappropriate."

 

Suga thought about how he should go round getting the extra invites without getting under his father's radar.

 

Right. Mum.

 

"I'll see how." Suga said. "-no promises."

 

 

It wasn't that difficult getting the extra invites. Suga just had to call up his mother. When she found out that Yujin would go, she informed Suga that the invites would be sent over the next day.

 

Jungkook was the one who opened the door when their butler came over and the man got confused thinking he got the wrong house.

 

Yujin came down and widened her eyes when the butler saw her. She frantically shushed him up with her body language before he called her 'young miss'. The message didn't get through, but the butler didn't manage to say anything because he was baffled at what she was doing.

 

Jungkook noticed the man looking pass himself so he turned. Yujin was quick enough to return to her stoic expression and walked towards the door, pushing Jungkook aside.

 

"Is this for Yoongi?" she asked the butler, giving him a hard glare.

 

The butler was a little scared of what he should say. He chose his words carefully. "..yes, it is."

 

Yujin's glare turned into a smile and she patted him on the shoulder. "Alright. I'll pass it to him. Good job!" she said and closed the door, leaving the butler bewildered at what just happened.

 

Jungkook wondered who it was but didn't ask.

 

"Yoongi, someone came with this." She tossed the brown envelop towards Suga when he came down.

 

"Oh? It came." he said and left the house without an explanation.

 

 

Suga met up with Hoseok in his shop to pass the invites, much to Hoseok's amazement at the efficiency. When the latter returned home that night, he knocked on Daehyun's door.

 

"What do you want?" Daehyun asked.

 

Hoseok lifted up the envelop and Daehyun's eyes widened. "You seriously got it?? Woah.." he gapped. "-power of friendship."

 

Hoseok chuckled. "That's not all friendship is okay??" He passed it to his younger brother and left.

 

Daehyun rang up someone after the door closed.

 

"Yoboseyo?"

 

"Yah, the invitations you wanted? I got it. So uhh.. Should I give to you now? Or in school tomorrow?" Daehyun sat down at his desk.

 

"Can I come over now?"

 

Daehyun glanced at his clock. "Let's meet up outside."

 

"No problem."

 

***

 

"Do you think I'll be able to impress the heir of Min's Hotels?"

 

"Hey no stealing the spotlight! I have my eyes on him!!"

 

"I already ordered a hand made dress specially from Milan yesterday from a renowned fashion designer. I'll win his attention for sure."

 

"Who knows? Maybe if I'm lucky myself, he could ask me on a date!!"

 

 

Yujin tried to shut off their talk but they were so loud she couldn't un-hear it.

 

Later during lunch break as Yujin hung out in the trees again, Suga came over and sat under it. "Rich kid," she said.

 

"Hm?"

 

"-people are trying so hard to impress you."

 

Suga laughed a little and ran a hand through his hair. "There's no point is there?"

 

"They're so weird." Yujin said. "-they're trying to impress someone they've never met. What if you were some kind of ugly lazy brat?"

 

Suga shot his gaze up at her. "I'm not ugly! Nor lazy!!"

 

"Just saying. What IF." Yujin stuck her tongue out.

 

"Too bad for them," Suga's tone turned bitter. "-I'm already engaged."

 

Yujin fell silent. For reasons unknown, Park Yebin hadn't been po

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter