023. Tree Climbing.

Life As It Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, after Suga made a fuss over dinner and making sure Yujin was 'completely full without the need of having instant noodles for supper', he went back to his room to study. A few hours later, Yujin heard him turn off his lights and it only took him five minutes to start snoring lightly.

 

Yujin peaked out of her room to make sure his lights were off. When she was sure Suga was already asleep, she shut her door and opened her window. Once in a while, she decided to climb out the window instead of going through the door.

 

 

Yujin zipped up her jacket and pulled her grey hoodie over her head. It was almost midnight and it was a record for her to be sneaking out so early. Not wanting to head to the playground, she took a turn and ended up walking towards familiar roads.

 

Why did I come here..?

 

Against her will, her feet continued walking until she reached a house. It looked just like any house but she knew whose house was it. The lights were still on and because it was late at night and the neighbourhood was really quiet, Yujin could hear children's voices coming from inside the house. She could hear their mini screams and laughter and roughly make up a lady's voice and also a slight husky boyish laughter.

 

Yujin noticed shadows painted on the curtains approaching the front door from inside the house. Snapping out of her trance, she quickly walked away before the front door opened. Even though she really wanted to turn back, her mind told her not to and she kept walking until she was out of thee neighbourhood and back to her own, where she immediately went home and into her room from her window.

 

It was past midnight when she finally gathered her thoughts and got up to pull open her desk drawer. In it was the envelope she kept to separate her monthly allowance. Since she wasn't in BH any more, and there was no more BH High to save, she was going to have a lot of extra cash.

 

Something clicked in her mind and she shoved the thick envelope of money into the large pocket of her jacket. Yujin climbed out of her window the second time and swung herself over to the nearest branch of the large tree and climbed down.

 

 

Seems like there are a lot of tree climbings to do huh.

 

Once again, Yujin was at the same house she stopped by earlier. This time, since it was obviously way past sleeping time for kids, there weren't as many lights on as before. There were still lights on but when seen from outside, it looked dimmed.

 

Yujin in a breath and let it out slowly.

 

This isn't a crime.

 

She thought to herself as she skilfully jumped over the fence, landing in the garden silently like a cat. She strode to the back of the house where a large tree stretched upwards and thick branches danced around the air, passing by the windows of the rooms in the first floor of the house.

 

Not like I bother if I get caught by police.

 

Yoongi might just freak out and faint.

 

Mom would think I was really cool.

 

Dad should disown me after that and I'll come back-

 

 

Yujin reached up the height in the tree that was high enough for her to reach any room on the first floor at the back of the house. She passed by the first room that was completely dark. Yujin silently pressed her nose onto the window glass and covered the sides of her eyes so that she could focus her eyesight into the dark room, just out of curiosity.

 

By the looks of it, it was a teenage boy's room. She could make up his sleeping figure, back facing her and was that a very dim sleeping light switched on next to his bed?

 

She shook her head in amusement and went on to the next room. For a moment, Yujin forgot to be cautious and the lights flickered on. She froze when she realised she was in full view of whoever was in that room and if they screamed, Yujin would have to make a dash for it.

 

What made Yujin somewhat relaxed a little more was when she saw that the person in the room was a young girl no more than 10 years old. The girl was surprised to see Yujin in the trees and it probably hadn't registered in her mind yet that having someone in the tree next to your room wasn't the most safe thing to occur, especially after midnight.

 

The sliding window was opened and the little girl was just a feet away from it. Yujin decided to take her chances and scooted skilfully on the tree branch and moved herself closer to the window.

 

“Hey,” she smiled at the girl.

 

“What are you doing in the tree?” the girl asked.

 

Yujin took out the envelope and passed it to the girl. “Here. This is for all of you.”

 

The girl hesitantly reached out her smaller hands and took it. Her curious eyes scanned it. “What is this?”

 

Yujin's eyes partially disappeared as she let her smile crawl up her face. She wasn't always too fond of kids younger than her but she had to make an exception when they weren't crying up a storm or destroying everything in their paths.

 

“Give it to eommeoni, okay?” Yujin asked. “-what's your name?”

 

“Jaerim.” the girl replied.

 

“Then, Jaerim-ah, I'll leave this job to you okay?” Yujin said and crawled away from Jaerim's window towards the main stem of the tree before she climbed off and ran out of the compound, all the way home.

 

She pushed open her window and shut it once she was in her room again. Yujin caught her breath and laid down on her bed.

 

Enough tree climbing for now.

 

***

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter