King of the Ogres

Trying

Joonmyun finally had the chance to meet Kyungsoo on an afternoon where parent and families were invited into the nursery to see what their children had been learning at the nursery so far, to get a chance to meet the teachers and have a general look around to see if the nursery was up to their expectations.

Thinking he wouldn't be able to get out of work in time, Joonmyun had to explain to Jongin that it may be his grandmother or uncle who would be filling his place instead. Managing to pull a few strings, the expression on Jongin's face when he saw his dad come running over to greet him was priceless. He wasted no time in showing Joonmyun where he sat, the work he done so far which hung proudly on a class display and quickly pointed him towards the direction of the drinks and snacks which had been laid out.

"Wait, you need to meet Kyungsoo!" Jongin shrieked before Joonmyun had a chance to grab a drink and, grabbing his hand, dragged him over to meet his friend. Finally getting the chance to meet the boy that Jongin was always going on about, Joonmyun was met with a short, big eyed and lipped boy who just looked so squishy overall. Meeting him, Joonmyun felt the need to just reach out and squeeze his cheeks.

"This is my daddy, Soo!" Jongin said happily and all Joonmyun could do was smile at the boy who stared him up and down before finally opening his mouth
"He can be the ogre king"

And that was how Joonmyun found himself a part of Jongin and Kyungsoo's game for the next half an hour. Consisting of hiding, running, playing the part of an ogre and having various objects thrown at him, he was all too glad when the boys got tired of their game and decided to move onto something else.

"Those boys have too much energy" Joonmyun muttered to no one in particular, flopping down onto an empty seat to catch his breath
"They can be quite a handful when they're together. I don't know about Jongin but Kyungsoo is even worse when he's at home" a woman sat two seats from his commented and upon first glane, Joonmyun could tell instantly that she was Kyungsoo's mother; the two were almost indentical... besides being the opposite gender...

"Believe it or not, he's actually quiet and very shy around other people" Joonmyun replied
"I actually find that very hard to believe" and the two of them began laughing, watching their sons continue to play together, continuing to act as though it was just another ordinary day for them.

"How are you finding all of this? Being alone and having to look after your son?" Kyungsoo's mum asked
"It's been... difficult, to say the least. I'm still trying to get used to idea of being a dad, let alone a single one" Joonmyun replied as Kyungsoo's mum nodded her head.

"I know the feeling all too well myself" she began, smiling at the fond memories
"I never dared tell anyone that I was raising my son by myself, I didn't want the stigmatism of being a single mum affecting him as well as me, I tried my best to keep it a secret. Even my parents believed that Kyungsoo's dad was around; they just never saw him because he was a business man who worked long hours! It was only when I met Kyungsoo's stepdad could I finally begin to relax".

"You've been through this yourself?" Joonmyun asked
"Oh yes and let me tell you now; it may be difficult and there may be times where you just want to give up and wish you never put yourself in the position in the first place... it'll be worth it in the end though. To see your child happy, to see them grow and flourish within the world, all the hardwork you had put in previously would have paid off eventually".

 

 

Joonmyun was able to learn a lot that afternoon. Spending time speaking to Kyungsoo's mum, he was able to gain some very useful pieces of advice he was sure his parents would never have been able to give to him. For Joonmyun, it was such a relief to actually sit down with somebody who had experienced what he was going through and be able to talk through any worries he may have had previously.

By the time he and Jongin had returned home, Joonmyun felt more confident as to whether he would be a good enough father for Jongin. No longer was he worried as to whether he was going to be able to cope- he now had someone there he could talk to if he needed the advice.

Returning home, Joonmyun had left Jongin in the living room where he sat and watched television. Satisfied that back-to-back episodes of Pororo would keep him occupied for a while, it would allow Joonmyun the chance to slip away and get on with some work if he was to meet the set deadline. Well, he was meant to be doing his work, but a message left by his mum had instead left him a state of panic as to how he was going to approach the whole situation;

Hi Joonmyun! Just a call to remind you about the party we're throwing next week for the family to get together. Don't think about getting out of it mister, especially when you said you would come origina- wait a minute, think of this as an opportunity to introduce Jongin to everybody as well!

Oh yeah, because telling the family that his son was the result of a one night stand and Joonmyun didn't know about him recently was a brilliant way to introduce him to the family! He could see the disapproving glances being shot at him just thinking about it. It wasn't as if he couldn't get out of going; he already said he would go and his mum had left him a message to remind him, even if he did make up something his mum would know he only did it to avoid coming to the event.

"Why do I have such a big family?" he groaned out loud, his actions causing Jongin to turn and frown at how weird he was acting. No matter how many plans Joonmyu came up with, there was just no way he was going to get out of that party and introduce Jongin to everybody. Oh, what a joy that was going to be...


Dum, dum, dum...

And hey, we also got a bit of Kyungsoo in this chapter as well! I've already pictured how the next chapter is going to go... I just hope you guys enjoy it!

I doubt I'll be updating this in the next few days, in which case, Merry Christmas everybody!!

Until the next chapter!!