Shocks of parenthood

Trying

The idea of being a father had never really crossed Joonmyun's mind. He was never really a big fan of children and was always scared to hold them or interract with them in case he did something to hurt them. Though his parents wanted grandchildren, Joonmyun always knew that it would be his brother who would be the one providing the children; Joonmyun wasn't interested in women and knew that no other man out there was biologically capable of having a child.

The idea of having a child to look after was never a problem for Joonmyun because he always believed he was never going to be in a position whereby he would ever need to look after and provide for one.

Opening the door one day to find someone from a drunken night stand five years previously claim that her four year old was also Joonmyun's son, one could only imagine Joonmyun's shock and horror to find himself in such a sudden situation.

"What do you mean he's my child?"

With the four year old, whom Joonmyun found out was called Jongin, sat in the living room occupied with the television, Joonmyun had pulled his mother into the kitchen for a private word to try and get some sort of understanding as to what was going on.

"Exactly that. Jongin just turned four this January gone which if you do the maths adds up to nine months after the night stand we had beforehand" his mum replied, watching Joonmyun collapse into the seat by the dining table
"This is not happening" he muttered to himself, unable to believe that he was a father after one drunken mishap.

"Exactly what I said to myself when I found out I was pregnant" his mum replied, briefly going out into the hallway before returning and dumping some bags onto the counter tops
"And quite frankly I've had enough and cant take it anymore. You're the father so how about you start pulling your own weight for once." 

"What?" Jooonmyun asked and immediately jumped out of his seat "I've just found out that I have a kid and now you're going to dump him on me and just leave?"
"Yep" Jongin's mum replied and began walking towards the front door with Joonmyun hot on her trail.

"You can't be serious! I don't know how to be a dad! How am I going to cope if you couldn't cope in the first place?" pleading with her to try and reconsider her decision as she walked straight out of the front door without looking back. Joonmyun wanted to run after her and bring her back to try and come to sort of agreement, but he was reluctant to leave Jongin by himself and risk something happening to him. 

 

 

Joonmyun was trying his best to be a good dad, he really was. It was difficult to really bond with Jongin when the boy hardly spoke to him. At first Joonmyun thought that Jongin couldn't speak or understand Korean; his mum was a Japanese woman who was in Korea training to be a translator when she and Joonmyun slept together. Deciding that it would be best to forget about the event, both went their separate ways which meant that by the time his mum found out that she was pregnant, Jongin would have been born and brought up in Japan.

Thinking that this was indeed true, Joonmyun had to learn more about Jongin through trial and error;

He learnt that Jongin wasn't particularly a big fan of spicy food after one particular episode where Jongin spent half an hour drinking milk with tears in his eyes to stop the burning sensation in his mouth. He also was not particularly a big fan of Kimchi so Joonmyun was able to easily cross those of the list of meals he would be able to cook for both of them.

He also learnt that Jongin was a huge fan of Pororo and Rilakkuma through observation of Jongin carrying his Rilakkuma doll around with him everywhere he went and watching Pororo religiously whenever the show was on. When it came to re-decorating the spare room, Joonmyun made sure to buy wallpaper plastered in Jongin's favorite television character as well as bedding and clothing displaying his two favorites.

Then there was one particularly terrifying episode where Joonmyun found out the hard way that Jongin was allergic to nuts. It also proved to be the night where his parents found out that they had a grandson when Joonmyun rang them in a panic because he didn't know what to do.

"If I knew she was pregnant then of course I would have helped her! It wasn't as if I abandoned her upon finding out she was pregnant!"

Though his parents weren't particularly pleased about the fact that their grandson was concieved out of a drunken mistake, they were delighted nonetheless. They were also able to reason that if Joonmyun was perfectly capable of making someone pregnant, then he was perfectly capable of bringing up Jongin without much help. Well what the hell had he been doing prior to his parents finding out then?

On one particular night where Joonmyun was woken up from a thunder storm, he was able to find out that Jongin could speak Korean as perfectly as he could. It all started with Joonmyun being woken up by the initial rumble, grumbling to himself that he wished it would shut up soon as he had work in the morning. With the second rumble, a flash of lightning and the pelting of rain against his window did he hear the patter of tiny feet and looked up to find Jongin, clutching his Rilakkuma doll.

"What's wrong?" Joonmyun asked, forgetting for a second that he thought that Jongin wouldn't be able to understand him
"I... I don't like it" Jongin replied timidly and after getting over the initial shock of being completely wrong this whole time did Joonmyun smile and open up his blanket for Jongin to scurry in next to him.

"It's alright, I won't let the weather hurt you" Joonmyun said gently and hesitantly wrapped his arms around Jongin, gently patting his back in the hopes that it would calm him down. When Jongin was eventually able to fall asleep, Joonmyun was able to get a look at his sleeping face and was able to see that he wasn't hurting Jongin or causing him discomfort and that his silly fear of hurting any child shouldn't have been a fear in the first place.

Joonmyun was trying his hardest and was still learning on how to be a good parent to Jongin. This wasn't going to be the end and Joonmyun knew that there was still a lot of permanent work to be done. With his once boring life being filled with something worthwhile and pictures of him and Jongin beginning to grace the walls of his apartment and his desk at work, at least Joonmyun was able to take one positive thing away from this situation...


Okay, first chapter is up! Phew!

I kind of did this chapter in order to introduce the situation that Joonmyun found himself in and how he came to be a single parent. Whilst neither Jongdae nor Kyungsoo were included in this chapter, they will be in the next one, so keep a look out for them!

Until then!!