Love

Trying

Being able to properly bond with his dad was a long process for Jongin. It wasn't that he hated Joonmyun upon first meeting him, he was just terrified that Joonmyun was going to be exactly like his mum and shout at him even when he hadn't done anything worthy of being told off. At four years old, how was he to know that not speaking to Joonmyun and opening up to him was making it all the more difficult for Joonmyun to actually play the father role correctly. 

It took Jongin a little while, but he was eventually able to open up to his dad. Maybe not completely, but he he was certain that he liked his dad, no even loved him, a lot more than his mum. After Joonmyun had taken him to the hospital because of his allergies, Jongin saw him as his hero. Other children at the nursery would say that their heroes were Spiderman, Batman or even Barbie, Jongin would always say that his hero was his dad and that when he grew up he wanted to be just as kind and happy as he was. 

Jongin loved his dad. Being with his dad, he got meet Kyungsoo and become his best friend. Being with his dad, he got to meet Jongdae, have him become his favorite teacher of the moment and then become even more ecstatic when he found out that Jongdae was dating his dad. This gave Jongin all the more reason to love his dad.

 

 

Christmas holidays meant that Jongin was not going to be at the nursery until the holidays were over in January. This posed a very big problem for Joonmyun in the beginning; he wouldn't be able to spend most of the time with Jongin because he would be at work, but at the same time he didn't want to have his parents and Jongdae babysitting him all the time. 

"You know I don't mind Joonmyun. You know how much I like the kid" Jongdae reassured when Joonmyun brought the issue up. Even if that was the case, Joonmyun marched into his work and sat down with his boss to arrange some time off to spend with Jongin. It was easier than what he thought, though he made a mental note that maybe he should've told his boss sooner that he had a son, and very quickly he was able to get the time off that he wanted to spend with his son. (Although he wasn't too excited about spending the first few days looking after Jongin who had caught a stomach bug) 

Sat on the floor in the living room, Joonmyun was searching for a film that he and Jongdae could watch for the night. Tonight Jongin had wanted Jongdae to tuck him into bed, therefore it was up to Joonmyun to decide what film they were going to watch. Jongdae had explicitly stated than in no way would the two of them be waytching a horror, however Joonmyun was extremely tempted to pick one just so that for once Jongdae would be the one cuddling up to him. 

"Too sad, too cheesy, too childish" Joonmyun muttered to himself, picking up a DVD and putting it back down when he didn't quite feel like watching it. Hearing a familiar patter of feet run down the hall and into the living room, Joonmyun stopped what he was doing and smiled, waiting for Jongin to stop as he had done previously, probably to give Joonmyun one goodnight cuddle before he was able to properly go to bed. 

"Hey" Joonmyun said, turning around to find Jongin holding something behind his back and rocking back and forth on his feet, looking nervous. The only other time Joonmyun had seen him like this was when he broke a vase that Joonmyun's aunt had gotten for him one birthday and he thought he was going to be in big trouble. Joonmyun didn't tell him off though, it wasn't like he loved the vase anyway. 

"What's wrong?" Joonmyun asked, slightly concerned by his son's behaviour 
"Nothing" Jongin replied 
"What you got behind your back?" 
"Something I made for you" 
"Can I see it?" 

Hesitantly, Jongin brought a card around from his back and handed it to Joonmyun, waiting with his eyes fixed to the floor. Looking at the card, a smile instantly appeared on his face. On the front of the card was a drawing from Jongin of the three of them holding hands. All three figures were wearing Santa hats and in the background there was a Christmas tree. Opening the card up, the writing he recognised as Jongdae's straight away with the little scribble at the end being Jongin. It was the message that made his heart swell more than anything. 

To daddy, 
I love you lots. Merry Christmas. 
Jongin 

Joonmyun wasted no time in bringing Jongin in for a hug, only really letting go when Jongin had told him he was hugging him too hard 
"When did you do this?" he asked 
"When you were at work and Jongdae was with me" Jongin replied, his eyes still kept to the floor and this time Joonmyun brought him in for a lighter hug, placing a light kiss on his forehead. 

"I love it Jongin, thank you" he said as Jongin hugged him back, saying one last goodnight before he hurried back to his bedroom. Looking at the card for a second time, Joonmyun clutched it to his chest for a moment before standing up to proudly place it for all to see. 

Jongin loved his dad and Joonmyun loved Jongin even more...


This chapter was just one massive fluff fest wasn't it? 

That's because, are you ready for this people?, the next chapter... it may be the last. 

I know this may be difficult to take in, but we shall get through this together! 

Until then!!