What is love?

Trying

"What is love?" Jongin asked one morning, watching his dad finish packing his lunchbox and passing it to his son
"Why do you want to know?" Joonmyun replied as Jongin shrugged his shoulders
"Because I want to know" and smiling, Joonmyun pulled up a seat and sat down next to his son, having a really good think about his answer before he finally spoke.

"Well, love is a feeling that somebody feels towards another person or even a pet! Some people will love someone unconditionally-"
"What does that mean?" Jongin asked making Joonmyun laugh
"It means that a person will love somebody else with all their heart and will expect nothing in return. Like how a mother or a father will love their child so much and expect nothing from them back because it's natural for them to feel that way too" he replied as Jongin nodded his head and lightly bit his lip.

"Do you love me?" he asked and Joonmyun could swear he felt his heart swell
"Of course I do!" he replied, ruffling Jongin's hair
"Does... does mummy love me?" the boy asked and Joonmyun sighed when he saw Jongin's expression
"Yes, Jongin she does. She may not have shown it when you were with her, but she is your mother and of course she loves you" he replied gently, sending Jongin a smile before standing up.

"Now, go get your shoes and coat on, or else we'll be late" and with a nod, Jongin jumped from his seat and ran out into the hallway to gather his stuff. Watching him go, Joonmyun stood there thinking about how this boy always had questions in his mind which he was able to readily roll off of his tongue to ask his dad. Joonmyun often wondered why the boy would ask questions like this at his age, but with a reccuring theme of his mum being brought into it, Joonmyun was beginning to understand just why he was doing so.

Lost in his thoughts, Joonmyun jumped when Jongin came scurrying back into the kitchen and slammed into him, wrapping his tiny arms around his waist
"What's wrong?" Joonmyun asked
"Nothing, I just wanted you to know that I love you too daddy" Jongin replied before going back into the hallway to finish getting ready. Joonmyun was pretty sure that by this point his heart was ready to burst!

 

 

Dropping Jongin off to the nursery, Joonmyun was expecting to actually be at work early for once rather than being on time or, on the rare occassion, being late. However with Jongdae asking if he could have a private word in his office, Joonmyun sat there and waited until Jongdae had rejoined him.

"What did Jongin do this time?" was the first thing he asked. After the last time he got called into the office, Joonmyun had often wondered if the boy was more capable of doing stuff than what he led people to think. Hearing Jongdae laugh however, perhaps Joonmyun had made a wrong guess from the start.

"Don't worry, this is not about Jongin" he said, taking the seat across
"Well then why did you call me in here?" Joonmyun asked
"Because I wanted to properly thank you for what you did over the weekend. I couldn't exactly thank you on the day because your friends were there and everything" Jongdae replied.

"O-oh. You don't have to thank me. I mean, I'm sure others would have done the same" 
"That's the thing though, Joonmyun; not many people would have done it. They probably would have just left me there" Jongdae replied and though Joonmyun could see the sincereness in his expression, he still had to avert his gaze to something else before he began blushing and got caught out.

"It's really nothing" he muttered
"Let me do something to repay you for what you did! How about we go out and get some food over the weekend?" Jongdae suggested but Joonmyun couldn't accept it and began to shake his head furiously.

"T-there really is no need!" he exclaimed however Jongdae was persistent
"Come on! I know you don't want anything in return but I need to do something to repay you and no thank you or buying you a little gift is going to be enough for me!" he whined and Joonmyun sat there contemplating on whether he should agree to going out or just say that he didn't really mind.

Saying that though, it had been a while sice Joonmyun went out with someone besides his friends and there was actually a chance of being alone with Jongdae without having Jongin or anybody else interrupting them for once...

"Make it Friday evening? Jongin's staying over his grandparents for dinner and a sleepover and then I'll have him back by the next morning" Joonmyun finally replied as Jongdae grinned and nodded his head
"Give me your phone" Joonmyun said, holding out his hand as Jongdae scrambled on over to his bag he brought to work and pulled out his phone, giving it to Joonmyun and allowing him to add his number into Jongdae's contact list.

"Just give me a time and a place" as he handed Jongdae back his phone
"Sweet!" the teacher replied and with the matter settled, both men exited the office and went their other ways. Sat in the car, Joonmyun's heart would not stop pounding. Where the heck had he gathered up the courage to ask for Jongdae's phone so he could punch in his number?

Stopping at a red light, Joonmyun could not stop thinking about the fact that Jongdae had asked him out. Actually... culd he consider it as Jongdae asking him out and therefore the two of them technically going out on a date Friday evening?

Whatever the case, Joonmyun didn't know what to think about it. It had been a long time since someone had shown some interest in him after all...


What's this? A SuChen 'date' which awaits you in the next chapter, or possibly the next two chapters? Oh you guys have no idea just how long I've been waiting to write what is going to be happening next!

Until then!!