Meet the parents

Trying

"You know, if we make a break for it now we could probably grab the next flight to Mexico and won't have to face them at all" 

Jongdae's comment was to try and break the silence that had settled on the journey to Joonmyun's house. For most of the ride, Joonmyun's hands had been gripped to the steering wheel with white knuckles and hardly saying anything to the other, the radio playing in the background to make up for the lack of conversation going on between them. 

"I'm more concerned about leaving Jongin with Sehun and Chanyeol for the day" Joonmyun replied, trying to relax himself as he momentarily stopped at a red light. With Kyungsoo out for the weekend with his grandparents, Joonmyun had to actually rely on his friends to take care of Jongin whilst he was oficially introducing Jongdae to his parents. Specifically requesting that Sehun came over so that they could have more dance 'lessons' like they had to previously, it wasn't easy convincing his friend to come over and interract with the boy for more than an hour. Hoping to get Minseok- the more responsible person in the group- to come along with Sehun, Joonmyun was disappointed to know he would be stuck at work. With nobody else to turn to, Joonmyun prayed to whoever would listen that he was doing the right thing in having Sehun and Chanyeol look after his son for an extended period of time. 

"You're a horrible liar Joonmyun... even if I'm willing to believe that statement to some extent" to which Joonmyun let out a shaky sigh and tightened his grip on the steering wheel. 

"I'm just not use to this. I mean I've seen my brother bring home a girlfriend or two to introduce to us but this is different... I mean not only am I introducing you to my parents as my boyfriend but they also have to come to term with the fact that I'm gay" he explained as Jongdae reached over and lightly ran his hand up and down Joonmyun's upper back. 

"We don't have to do this you know"  
"I know, but I want to do it... I need to do it! If I chicken out now I'll never do it" Joonmyun exclaimed as Jongdae nodded his head
"If that's the case you need to relax, otherwise you're going to get yourself even more worked up than what you already are". Oh if only this was easier said than done! 

 

 

Right up until he was at the front door with his finger pushed out to press the door bell, Joonmyun could have easily changed his mind and decided this was best left for another day. Sensing his unease, Jongdae reached out and held his other hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze as Joonmyun pressed the button and waited for the music to end, waited for his parents to open the door. 

"Joonmyun!" 

Seeing his dad answer the door, Joonmyun began to think that maybe his mum had sent him to do so because she didn't want to have to fce the two of them, perhaps deep down being ashamed of that fact that her son was who he was. 

"She's in the kitchen finishing up" his dad clarified as though he was able to read his mind. Stepping inside, Joonmyun pulled Jongdae in with him and left him standing in the doorway to properly greet his dad as he made his way towards the kitchen where his mum stood waiting for him, holding out her arms and pulling him in for a hug. 

"Oh Joonmyun" she said gently, releasing the hug to get a good look at her son "I'm sorry for how I reacted the other day, it was stupid of me to act like that" 
"No, I'm sorry for not telling you two sooner. Instead I probably made you confused with the fact that even though I'm gay, I have Jongin" Joonmyun replied as his mum laughed and shook her head. 

With Jongdae finished in properly being able to introduce himself to Joonmyun's dad, he slowly made his way into the kitchen. Doing so Joonmyun's mum shot him a smile and walked over to him to pull him in for a hug. Momentarily surprised, Jongdae let out what seemed to be a surprised laugh as he wrapped his arms around her and shot Joonmyun a confused look, watching as all his boyfriend could do was shrug his shoulders and watch the scene with a smile on his own face. 

 

 

All throughout dinner, the time was spent getting to know more about Jongdae; what he did, how he met Joonmyun and just general facts about him. Whatever fear Joonmyun had leading up to this moment quickly diminished when he saw just how easily Jongdae was able to chat with his parents, how comfortable they all looked around each other. 

"So Joonmyun" his mum began, her voice making Joonmyun stop in whatever he was doing as he looked at her and feared what she was about to ask next "You and Jongdae have been dating some time now from my guesses, I hope you're being mature and leaving certain things until Jongin is asleep and you're in privaxy" her words making Jongdae choke on his drink. 

"Mum!" Joonmyun exclaimed as his face turned a deep shade of red and he began patting Jongdae's back 
"What? I'm only making sure that Jongin doesn't see something horrifying and scar him for life" his mum defended as Joonmyun shut his eyes and took a deep breath in. 

"I'm not about to discuss my private life with my parents. This is only of a concern to my, myself and I" as Jongdae took a sip of his drink and with one more final cough, was perfectly fine.  

"I'm okay, I'm okay" he chanted in a slightly raspy voice, turning and laughing when he saw how moritified Joonmyun looked at that moment. Muttering under his breath, Joonmyun stood up and began grabbing some of the empty plates 
"Me and Jongdae will do the dishes" he announced, pulling Jongdae up with him and towards the kitchen, saving them both from anything else his mum had yet to subject to them.

"I like them" was the first thing said as Joonmyun scoffed and shook his head
"Even after that?" he asked
"Well as first official meetings go, it could have gone a lot worse"

Okay, mabe Jongdae had a point there. It still didn't give Joonmyun's mum the right to try and pry into their relationship life like that. Whatever happened with the two of them stayed between the two of them!

"Just think of this as good practice in case my parents try anything like that when you meet them" and it was a good thing Joonmyun had such a good reaction speed otherwise he would have never been able to catch the plate that slipped out of his hand. Why did dating have to involve meeting and introducing oneself to so many people? Joonmyun would never know himself. 


Yeah, Joonmyun's mum being a typical mum and finding some way of embarrassing her son... *shakes head* 

I'm so tempted to put in a bonus chapter of what happened when Chanyeol and Sehun took care of Jongin... should I do it? Hmm... perhaps... what do you think?

Until the next chapter!!