010: Sweet Overnight

Goodbye November
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In his hand held onto a small bouquet of sunflowers accompanied by the small presence of the white baby breaths. Hoya stood outside a standard A-Class ward with the number tag 12 hung on it. He pushed the door open to see a lady seated upright on the hospital bed, fidgeting with her phone.

"Noona," Hoya cooed, a smile tugged onto his face when the lady smiled back at him.

"Howon ah!" 

Hoya made his way towards his elder sister after closing the door behind him. He removed the flowers that he bought the previous time from the vase and placed the new ones in. He caressed the petals of the sunflowers and smiled to himself. At the side, Hoya's sister was looking at his dedicated brother with her eyes forming into crescents, her smile never leaving her face.

"How are you feeling?" Hoya asked, after tearing his gaze away from the flowers.

"Better."

"When is your surgery? Did they tell you?" the younger Lee asked, after taking a seat right beside his sister.

"A month later, they're going to implant a implantable cardioverter-defibrillator for me." The older Lee leaned her back against the bed after the head of the bed had been raised by Hoya by pressing the small button at the side of the bed rail.

"Are you scared?"

"Not at all, I'm actually happy. This means I don't have to worry about dying halfway through my sleep, dongsaeng-ah." Hyojin rubbed her brother's arm and ruffled his hair, which caused the younger one to frown since he doesn't like anyone to mess up his hair. But his sister just chuckled at his actions instead. "How are you with Seyeon, hm?"

"We're fine. She hardly contacts me now." Hoya sighed and pulled out his phone and looked at his call log. The last phone call with Seyeon was three days ago, and the last message he received was five days ago with 'I'll be busy these days oppa, don't miss me!' as the content. "I doubt she even remember my existent now." Hoya sighed once again and placed his phone back into his pocket.

"Why don't you call her instead?" 

"She doesn't even reply to my messages, what makes you think she'll answer my call."

Hoya's sister, Hyojin was a well known senior in Seoul High. Although their home was all the way back in Busan, the two sibling, moved into Seoul for their studies while his elder brother was at America, for work. Hyojin was beautiful, everyone acknowledge that, even the current High schooler batch in Seoul High. She really did left a legacy back there, making everyone to remember her.

But she wasn't as lucky as the other girls out there. She was born with illness, they say it was a genetic cause, which is true since their grandmother had that disease and now their mother as well. She was suffering from Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, a cardio disease where one's heart muscle will gradually thicken, making the patient's heart muscle functions inefficiently, causing patients to have obstruction to blood flow from the heart. Abnormal heart rhythm is unavoidable, which in this case, is life threatening. That was why Hyojin made a decision to undergo a surgery for her treatment. She wanted to live longer and have a blissful life with her fiance, also with her kids in the future.

"Are there anything interesting things going on in school?"

"Maybe," Hoya muttered, thinking of Eunji when his sister pointed that out.

"Care to share?" A cheeky grin plaster across the older Lee's face.

"Well, it's not like I'm interested in her or something, but..." Hoya trailed off. "There's a really interesting girl in school." Hoya's lips unknowingly curved into a smile when he remembered how Eunji scolded him on the bus for not letting the elder have the seat, how she talked back to him when he was picking on her, how brave she was when everyone was against her other than Chanyeol and his friends.

"A girl?" Hyojin raised a brow at her brother's words.

"Yeah. A commoner to be exact."

"Pfft. Didn't noona teach you to be humble and modest? Commoner? They are human just like us, you shouldn't despise them!" She lectured the younger boy whose face is now showing a slight sense of remorse and shame.

"Whatever."

"Tell me about her."

"Well basically, she reminds me of you, noona." Hoya chuckled.

"Eh?"

* * *

The restaurant opened once again and finally after the many times the door had opened and showed other people walking in. This time round, a fine lady dressed in a creamed casual knee length chiffon dress walked in, with a black Margaret Thatcher's Launer London Diva handbag​ and a pair of black silhoutte heels. Minjoong's eyes followed the lady who was led by the waiter towards his table.

Beside Minjoong sat a fine looking high schooler. His face was solemn and it was very obvious that he was not fond of this idea - a dinner meeting with his soon-to-be, stepmother. 

"Myungsoo ah, don't be rude to her later. Smile and greet her, alright?" Minjoong patted his son's shoulder and hoped his son would obliged to his father request. However, instead of getting a 'yes father' from him, Myungsoo just turned his head to another way, facing the outside of the restaurant. 

"Sorry I'm late," the lady apologized and sat on her seat after the waiter had pulled the chair out for her.

"It's okay Yeonhee," Minjoong smiled at her and told the waiter to bring out his order.

Yeonhee looked at Myungsoo and smiled a motherly smile. "You have a very handsome son, Minjoong ah."

Myungsoo turned to look at Yeonhee for a second and turned his head back to the scenery once again, totally ignoring Yeonhee's presence. "Aish..." Minjoong muttered inwardly and apologized to Yeonhee on behalf of Myungsoo's rude behavior. "Forgive my son's rude behavior," Minjoong turned to his son and scolded him for his behavior. "Don't be so rude Myungsoo! She's going to be your new mother soon! Whether you like it or not, you must be respectful to her, at least in front of me."

Myungsoo crossed his arms and clicked his tongue while fidgeting with his phone, talking to Seyoon through Kakao​. Minjoong shook his head in disapproval and turned back to find Yeonhee smiling at his son.

"It's okay if you don't like me, Myungsoo-ah."

Myungsoo shot her a glare, obviously not liking how his name slipped off her lips. "Don't call me like you're so close to me. We're still stranger."

"Alright, I'll call you formally okay? Myungsoo-sshi?"

Myungsoo rolled his eyes and said nothing.

 

Halfway through the dinner, Yeonhee brought up the topic of her very own daughter.

"I have a daughter, she's around Myungsoo-sshi's age, a year younger." Yeonhee said and wipped her lips with her napkin.

"Oh? Why didn't you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter