42. Don't Be Gone Too Long

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

“Wendy, this can’t go on any longer.” 

 

 

“What ? I don’t see any problem here.”

 

 

Wendy shrugs at her boss who is sitting across the table while they are at a meeting.

 

 

“Well, according to reports, Wendy is still doing good on various charts…. Although the rankings of some her songs have been dropping slowly.” Chorong speaks up to break the dense atmosphere.

 

 

 

The CEO frowns as his fingers tap on the glass table, “That’s why. Wendy, this is a critical moment. Whether people will remember your name. We should come up with something new in order to have a strong comeback to SM and JYP. Damn ! I should have thought of the Korean agencies …….”

 

 

“Like what ? To dance ?” Wendy doesn’t mean to sound mean but she doesn’t really know what is “something new”.

 

“It doesn’t match with your image, and you don’t know how to. Stick with your instruments by now.” He sighs.

 

“At least you know that.” Wendy smiles a little at herself. 

 

 

“How about musicals ?” Another person from the management suggests. “Didn’t Wendy try it before ?”

 

“It’s been ages and I can’t really perform musicals in Korean……” Wendy scratches her nape. She is thinking of how Irene often jokes on her slightly accented Korean.

 

 

“How about something like Glee ? What if we put her back in a TV series like that then she could gain mass support from different audience before coming back to Korean for other promotions ?” The CEO gets a bit excited.

 

It’s Wendy’s turn to frown, “You mean I have to go back to the US again ?”

 

“Don’t you wanna get big ? Don’t you wanna top the charts ?” 

 

“How long ?”

 

“It depends. I have some connections. I could get you in less than a month. But for how long, it’s up to your performance and the feedbacks. It’s not my call.”

 

“Is it the only way ?” 

 

“It’s the best way.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“ this.” Wendy gets on Chorong’s car and curses. “I’m leaving again.”

 

“It’s for your own good.” Chorong looks at her dear friend. “Irene is busy lately anyways…….” 

 

“Yeah, we are technically fighting against each other.” The Canadian rolls her eyes.

 

“So have you guys thought of when would it go public ? I mean …….”

 

 

“When we get big enough. When our dreams are almost come true…… ‘Cause I know if people know we are together, they would find it hard to accept and our lives as a singer might come to an end.” The Canadian derp now saddens and looks at her phone.

 

 

“Wendy, don’t worry. You’ll always have us.”

 

“Thanks Chorong. Spend more time with Naeun before we leave.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You scared me, you derp.” Irene lays on her girlfriend’s lap at her practice room.

 

“I am sorry.” Wendy gently combs those silky hair on her thighs with her slender fingers. “It’s important so I texted you right away.”

 

 

“It’s alright. You have waited long enough for me. Life is fair.” Irene grins widely feeling the touch.

 

“Hey, don’t have that creep ert smile. I am scared now.” Wendy softly chuckles.

 

 

Just while a smirking cabbage is ready to pounce on the poor snowman, several quick knocks echoes in the room.

 

 

“.” Irene hops up and curses under her breathe. 

 

“Who is that ?” Wendy starts to panic seeing the other girl’s reaction, it’s like they are about to be caught cheating or something. 

 

“Hide behind that cabinet.” Irene doesn’t wait for her snowman to agree and manages to fit her into that little space. 

 

 

 

“Irene-xi, are you practicing ?” It’s no one other than her CEO alongside with JYP’s. “We are here to pay you a visit !”

 

“Did we disturb you, Irene-xi ? I was just wanting to see how Suzy’s new partner doing.” Mr. Park shows a friendly smile and waves.

 

 

 

“No, not at all.” Irene greets them with a bow. And she internally curses that her new manager doesn’t know about her and Wendy, and how she misses Sooyoung right now.

 

 

“So is everything doing good ?” Mr. Kim looks around the room. “Do we need to get you something ?”

 

“No. It’s fine.” Irene answers politely and secretly glances if the clumsy snowman is staying still.

 

 

“Irene-xi is really something. Suzy and her have topped the charts and I’m sure they will win some no.1s very soon. ” Mr. Park pats Mr. Kim’s shoulder.

 

“Like we’ve said nothing could stop us if we work together. Let’s see what Wendy’ve got for us hahahaa Irene, I’m counting on you !”

 

 

 

It takes Irene all her willpower to keep that smile.

 

It takes like forever for the 2 men to leave her little haven.

 

 

 

“The coast is clear.” 

 

 

 

“I’m so sorry.” Wendy rushes to Irene’s side and pulls her into a warm embrace. 

 

 

“You don’t need to say sorry.” 

 

“I’m sorry that you have to deal with things like this. Alone.”

 

 

“I’m okay.”

 

“No, you aren’t okay.” Wendy cups Irene’s cheeks and stares into her orbs. “Maybe I shouldn’t have debuted, maybe I shouldn’t leave…….”

 

 

“It’s your dream, Son Seung-hwan.” Irene’s face looks scarily solemn. “I shouldn’t become your obstacle.”

 

 

“You are not my obstacle.” Wendy raises her voice without knowing. “It’s my dream and you are the one that I’m sharing it with.”

 

 

“Easy, I am not breaking up with you.” Irene’s expression eases seeing the pouting sulking snowman. 

 

“Then don’t make that face and say those things again !” Wendy whines in Irene’s arms.

 

 

“Okay…. Come here.” Irene laughs a bit and showers the whining baby with pecks. “We just have to work harder so we don’t have to fighting against each other and be manipulated anymore.”

 

 

Wendy beams again, “Just a little more time. I am already missing you, you know.”

 

 

 

 

“I dug a single seed into the ground,

I hope it grows, 

In a year or two if you're around,

You'll see a rose.

 

Pack me up and keep me hidden somewhere,

That you can find me.

On a train to Paris going nowhere,

Trouble bridge behind me.

 

Don't be gone too long,

'Cause you won't be there to love me when you're gone.

Don't be gone too long,

Tell me who's gonna love me when you're gone.”

 

 

(“Don’t Be Gone Too Long” - Chris Brown ft. Adriana Grande)

 

 

 

 

They spend their 1st anniversary apart.

 

 

They both have to work anyway.

 

 

Irene has her 1st anniversary debut fan-meeting.

 

Wendy prepares for her TV drama debut.

 

 

 

Mr. Kim is probably the happiest among all.

 

Since his artist’s fans are no joke.

 

 

 

 

“Have you called Irene ?” Taeyeon puts down a plate of food and sits beside Wendy, who is pulling her hair in front of her MAC.

 

“No….”

 

“You are working ? I thought you just had a meeting with the TV crew. And you need to eat.”

 

“Thanks…… Thanks for coming with me, unnie. You must marry Jessica-unnie when we got back.” Wendy yawns and does’t forget to tease.

 

“You kid.” Taeyeon rolls her eyes. “Eat up and call Irene. I’m going to take a shower.”

 

“Roger that.” Wendy brightly salutes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Irene-xi, you have done a good job.” Mr. Kim greets the national goddess with a big smile in her waiting room after the fan-meeting.

 

“Thanks.” Irene bows to the stuff and her CEO one by one.

 

 

After the stuff retrieves, it’s only her and Mr. Kim.

 

So he speaks up, “Irene-xi, we are having high hopes on you.”

 

“I know, I will do my best.”

 

“You are already doing your best…….  But-” 

 

 

Irene looks up and waits for him to finish.

 

 

“Do you have a boyfriend ?” 

 

Mr. Kim has sensed some fishy about Irene.

 

Things reported by her new manager and that day he visited her with Mr. Park.

 

 

“No, I don’t.” Irene answers certainly.

 

Well, she really doesn’t.

 

 

Mr. Kim looks into her eyes for a while and sighs, “Just so you know, dating is not clear forbidden but is something you should avoid. For your own career. I don’t wanna see paparazzi caught you.”

 

“I understand. Thank you and goodnight Mr. Kim.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy throws her phone on the bed after dialing a few times.

 

“She must be busy.” She mumbles before going back to her cuddling with pillows.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Irene, have you called Wendy ?” Jessica lazily asks as she is checking on her iPhone.

 

Or texting with Taeyeon.

 

Who knows.

 

 

“No……” Irene mutters on her pillow.

 

“What ? GO ! What are you waiting for ? Did your damn CEO scare you ?”

 

“NO !!! I won’t !!!” Irene shouts like a kid and reaches out for her phone, “, I missed her calls.”

 

“Girl, call her back before she dumps you or finds another American girl or Suz- Ouch !” Jessica is silenced by a pillow in her face.

 

“You should shut your month before I murder you .”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wendy ?” Irene carefully says.

 

“Yeah ?” Wendy rubs her sleepy eyes.

 

 

“Happy anniversary and I love you !” Irene exclaims.

 

“Wow I thought I was going to turn deaf….. I love you too.” 

 

 

“How’re things going on your side ?” 

 

“Fine. Shooting starts on next week. I can’t believe here we are again. Talking on the phone and ……” 

 

“Me too. By the way, Mr. Kim suspects I am dating.”

 

“Really ? Then fortunately that I’m in the States now.”

 

 

“And luckily that Sooyoung is recovering well. Thanks to Sunny-unnie of course. My new manager has been spying on me.”

 

“Oh….. How’s your fan-meeting ?”

 

“Great. Tiring but fun. My fans are super nice to me.”

 

“Good to hear that. How about Seulgi and Joy, are they behaving well ?”

 

 

“I don’t know.” Irene giggles. “Busy dating I guess. But I know Sera and Hyuna are doing fine.”

 

“I’m happy.” Wendy chuckles. “Better if you are by my side.”

 

“Soon. Seunghwan, very soon.”

 

“Man, I hate long-distance relationships.” 

 

“Me neither.”

 

 

As Wendy is about to end the call, Irene speaks again.

 

“Suzy asked about you. Your whereabouts I mean.”

 

 

“So ? Oh yeah, I did not tell her I was leaving.”

 

“I told her I just knew a little earlier than she did.”

 

“You want to tell her ?”

 

“Not until you’re back. You’ve a lot of explanation to do.”

 

“Did she believe it ?”

 

“Of course she did, no one won’t fall for my puppy eyes.” Irene claims confidently.

 

“I feel bad for her……. Oh, quit it.” 

 

 

“So say you don’t.” Irene playfully grins to her phone.

 

“I…….. do.” Wendy defeatedly tumbles on her bed.

 

“I wish you know how bad I wanna nip your cheeks right now.”

 

“You starts to creep me out.”

 

 

“You will never escape from my hands hahaha” Irene evilly laughs.

 

 

 

“Tone it down !!! Bae Joohyun !!!! I am talking to my girlfriend too !!!!” Jessica shouts across the room.

 

 

“Sorry Wendy-ah, she seems so grumpy today. Maybe on her period. Say sorry to Irene for me too…… Okay !!! I’m talking to Wendy. Don’t shout ….  ” Taeyeon’s voice follows on Wendy's side.

 

 

 

“These unnies.” Wendy chuckles again. “They should get married asap.”

 

“Hmmm….. How about us ?”

 

“That fast ?”

 

“You don’t want to ?”

 

“I…..  I am not ready.”

 

“Let’s talk about that when you got your back.”

 

“S-sure…. Everything you like.”

 

 

“Good girl. And don’t be gone for too long.”

 

“I promise. I’ll be back as long as it finishes.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Guys, suprise ? Just a quick update before starting my final paper TT

 

Thanks for the love and support as always.

See you later.

I won't be gone for too long XD

xo