11. Sometimes When We Touch

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

“I wanna hold you ’til I die,

’Til we both break down and cry,

I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides……..”

 

 

("Sometimes When We Touch" - Dan Hill)

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon holds Jessica closely and starts dancing. It is an old slow jam and everyone enjoys dancing to this.

 

 

 

“Isn’t that your favorite song ?” Jessica whispers into Tae’s ears.

 

 

“Yeah. Skeeter Davis’s. And you still remember.” Taeyeon guides to Jess make a spin as she speaks.

 

 

 

“4 years isn’t that long.”

 

 

“It’s enough for something to change while something still remains the same.”

 

 

 

“Shut up and dance. People’re watching.”

 

 

“Ain’t these people dancing ? Alright, I’ll sing instead.” 

 

 

 

“Why do the birds go on singing ?

Why do the stars glow above ?

Don't they know it's the end of the world,

It ended when I lost your love.”       

 

 

("The End of the World" - Skeeter Davis)

 

 

 

Taeyeon’s singing is always touching.  Although her volume is low, Jessica can hear every word so clearly, like be craved on her heart.

 

 

Maybe it was the end of Taeyeon’s world when she distanced her, left her alone, and walked out from her life.

 

 

 

4 years. And Taeyeon is reborn. 

 

 

But this 25-year-old Taeyeon still gives her the same feeling when they were 16. Enchanting.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry.” And Jessica decides to open up to her.

 

 

“I told you to go. I haven’t blamed you for one second. I blamed myself instead. I’m sorry.” 

 

 

 

“I wake up in the morning and I wonder,

Why everything's the same as it was.

I can't understand, no, I can't understand,

How life goes on the way it does……..”

 

 

 

“Did I hurt you that much, Taeyeon-ah ?” 

 

 

“I deserved that. But it hurts me more if I can’t see your face anymore.”

 

 

 

“Why does my heart go on beating ?

Why do these eyes of mine cry ?

Don't they know it's the end of the world,

It ended when you said goodbye.”

 

 

 

Taeyeon isn’t sure if she could get Jessica back, or if it is a right thing to do. 

 

 

But her heart tells her to try‘Cause it hurts too much when she’s away. 

 

 

 

“I have caused you so much pain. I know …… I know it from Irene. Even when I have come back to Korea, I didn’t have the courage to find you. And you’ve just appeared in my life again.” Jessica knows what Taeyeon’s trying to say.

 

 

“It’s not my call. It’s fate. Irene and Wendy. You and me. You call that soulmates, right ? No matter how many things happen, how long, how hard, soulmates are bound to be together.” 

 

 

 

“And we are getting back together again ? How ?” Jessica finally voices out the words she has been wondering all the time.

 

 

“I don’t know. I don’t know if we should. We can try. Start all over like we’re new friends.” Taeyeon chuckles as Jess has finally said what they’ve been leading to.

 

 

 

“And we forget the old things ?” Jessica is surprised and touched that Taeyeon is really trying to take her back. 

 

 

“We bury them. We dig them out when we’re giving up again - reminding us not to repeat the same mistakes.”

 

 

 

“Hello, my name is Jessica.” Jess giggles when she attempts Tae’s suggestion.

 

 

“Hello Jessica. I’m Taeyeon. You look wonderful tonight.” 

 

 

“You too. So are we dancing to the next song too ?” Jess enjoys Taeyeon’s embrace and she misses it so much.

 

 

“Of course.”

 

 

 

It is So Close by Jon McLaughin. A song from a Disney movie.

 

 

 

“You're in my arms,
And all the world is calm.



And when I'm with you,
So close to feeling alive…”

 

 

 

“It’s a good song.” Taeyeon comments.

 

 

“You know all about songs.”

 

 

 

“I miss you.”

 

 

“I miss you too.”

 

 

 

Far from them, Tiffany has been watching while she’s dancing with another guy from another agency.

 

 

Now all the things makes sense to her.

 

 

The way they dance like they are made for each other.

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

“Why did we have to take the stairs when there are things called elevators ?” Wendy is catching her breathe when they finally reach the roof.

 

 

“I thought escaping and running stairs would be more romantic.” Irene is also doing the same but she doesn’t forget to stick out a tongue to the whining girl.

 

 

 

“Well, this is romantic.” Wendy looks up and can’t help admiring how starry tonight is.

 

 

“Good.” Irene proudly smiles. “Hey, when did the tips of your hair dye blue ?”

 

 

“Today ? After I met you earlier ? Taeyeon-unnie and me went to get dressed and I decided to have it dyed, just like yours. Pink and blue. Romantic.” 

 

 

“Nice ~ ” Irene takes off her high-heels and climbs on a little platform.

 

 

 

“Hey what are you doing up there ?” Wendy is worried when she turns to Irene. Even if Irene falls from there, she’ll only get a bruise or a scratch. 

 

 

“Son Seunghwan, Listen ! ” Irene is basically shouting to sky rather than talking to the one she called out.

 

 

 

The young Canadian knows what’s next and she patiently stays where she is.

 

 

Looking at Irene shining under the moonlight.

 

 

 

“Although we met in a very embarrassing situation, and spent our first day awkwardly …… I didn’t have a bad impression or something. As I got to know you more, you've surprised me every time. Your singing, your cooking, your warmth, your smile. You are different, the first person I didn’t want to push away but to stay by your side…… ”

 

 

 

Irene pauses a bit while she has to clean .

 

 

Here she begins, even louder. 

 

 

 

“I’VE CHANGED SO MUCH FOR YOU. REMEMBER THAT DAY WHEN WE WERE O-” 

 

 

The Canadian cuts her off and teases, “Hey, I’m not deaf.”

 

 

 

“I thought it’ll be more dramatic.” Irene flashes her rare pout.

 

 

“Don’t watch too many dramas.” The Canadian is trying her best to hide her fluttering heart.

 

 

 

Irene then closes her eyes and continues. 

 

 

“Remember that day when we were on the beach ? I think it’s when I’ve truly fallen for you. I don’t know much about love. I don’t know if you feel the same. I know Taeyeon-unnie confessed by singing a song and drawing a portrait of Sica-unnie …… But I still mean it, though I can’t do any of this, t-that, 

 

 

I love you.”

 

 

 

She bravely finishes her confession speech and opens her eyes again.

 

 

She has never confessed before. Only being confessed.

 

 

 

Wendy is there smiling, her clothes and eyes sparkling.

 

 

But she doesn’t say anything but only hops on the platform.

 

 

 

Irene is not pleased, and scared.  

 

 

 

“Didn’t you suppose to say something ? Or at least clap ? Didn’t you know how much time I used preparing th-”

 

 

The Canadian shuts with a kiss.

 

 

 

It is not a passionate one. More like a gentle touch of lips. Irene is too shocked that her eyes is still open, while Wendy’s closed.

 

 

The Canadian quickly pulls away but their forehands still touching. “This is my reply.”

 

 

 

Irene’s face is flushed with redness.

 

 

“But I couldn’t say I love you now.” Wendy looks into the supposed-to-be-more-mature 23-year-old’s eyes with so much gentleness and warmth.

 

 

“Why ?” Irene can’t help but frowns.  So it’s a yes or no ?

 

 

 

“I was afraid you wouldn’t love me. Look, you are a star. I am just a collage student … part-time designer. And now I know that you love me, I have something very important to tell you.”

 

 

“Nothing matters. We’re soulmates ……. So you’re married ?” Irene always has the wildest ideas.

 

 

 

“NO ~ I have only dated once …. twice before. If you count a pair of 6-year-olds holding hands everyday as a date.”

 

 

“Then what is it ?” Irene is eager to know what’s holding her girlfriend-to-be back.

 

 

 

“I told you my family has been contacting me lately, right ? My grandfather is ….. very sick and he wants me to go back to Canada to see him one last time. I’m his favorite grandchild …… I didn’t tell you ‘cause I didn’t want to distract you from your debut. I couldn’t love you now ‘cause I’ll be leaving soon. I thought if I-”

 

 

It’s Wendy’s turn to have shut with a kiss.

 

 

 

It’s their second time already and it still feels like the first. Tingling, strawberry-sweet, velvet-soft. And the feeling of completing each other.

 

 

They then return to their original position.

 

 

 

“Pabo.” Irene looks at the blushing girl darlingly.

 

 

“I am.” Wendy hasn’t never smiled so brightly.

 

 

“I’ll wait. I promise.” 

 

 

“I’ll come back soon. I promise.” 

 

 

 

“Say it.” 

 

 

“I love you.”

 

 

 

Irene has her “official reply” now.

 

 

Music blasting to the roof while the new couple is hugging so tightly.

 

 

 

“How could I face the faceless days,
If I should lose you now?

 

 

 

On the other side, Taeyeon and Jessica separate as the song ends.

 

 

 

“That’s not good song …… So close and still so far.” Taeyeon comments again.

 

 

“We indeed are.” Jessica smiles - half bitter, half joy.

 

 

 

Maybe they will work it out this time, maybe not.

 

 

Maybe it will hurt this time, maybe not.

 

 

 

Try. Taeyeon said.

 

 

Don’t give up unless you’ve tried your very best. Jessica said.

 

 

 

“Have you changed your phone number ?” Taeyeon suddenly asks out of the blue.

 

 

“No. Still using the old one.” Jess nonchalantly replies.

 

 

“Me too.” Taeyeon smirks. “So I’ll call you later.”

 

 

“Okay. You go pick up Wendy, I’ll get Irene.”

 

 

 

“I bet they’re together now.” Taeyeon smirks goes bigger that her left dimple shows.

 

 

“Yeah, you’re right.” Jessica’s picturing what they could be doing, since she hasn’t seen Irene after the dance time had started.

 

 

“So let’s wait at the lobby. I’m meeting Wendy there.”

 

 

“Sure.”

 

 

 

“So when are you leaving ?” Irene asks while she is playing with Wendy’s hand. Although she is slightly shorter, she plays so many instruments, her fingers are incredibly slender. Irene is jealous.

 

 

“Next Tuesday. I planned to tell you today even you didn’t confess.” Wendy is busy looking at the stars.

 

 

 

“We still have 2 days ~” Irene places her head on Wendy’s shoulder.

 

 

“When I come back, we’ll have a lifetime.” Wendy has her gazes back to her girlfriend, who are more beautiful than the stars for her.

 

 

 

“Ehh…..  That’s cheesy.” Irene frowns a bit. 

 

 

“Who’s the one being all dramatic just a moment ago ?” 

 

 

“Stop teasing.”

 

 

 

“You like it ~” Wendy can’t take Irene’s cuteness any longer and pinches her cheeks.

 

 

“Yeah, whatever !!” Irene fights back.

 

 

 

The couple spend some more lovey-dovey moments and they realize the party is over.

 

 

 

“Can we take the elevator this time ?”

 

 

“Anything you like, pabo ~”

 

 

 

When the two get to the lobby, they see their unnies sitting together - talking and laughing.

 

 

 

“I told you they were together.” Taeyeon raises her left eyebrow.

 

 

“Yeah, but are they together ?” Jessica raises her right eyebrow.

 

 

 

“Arghm…. Y-yes ?” Irene answers while Wendy is shyly nodding.

 

 

 

“I approve.”

 

 

“So do I.”

 

 

 

The young couple can’t help but think their unnies are prefect match, all acting like a married couple, or parents to them. The four reluctantly go on their parting ways. What a wonderful night they have here.

 

 

 

Your heart will always tell you the right answer.