33. Red Bean

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

 

 

 

Irene is sitting on a wheelchair at the hospital’s little lawn.

 

Seulgi and Joy are on the bench behind her.

 

 

“Don’t act that lovey-dovey when I’m here. I can’t see, but I can smell it from here.” The eldest girl slightly turns her head and says.

 

 

It scares the out of the young couple.

 

 

Joy retrieves her hands from the bear’s waist and the bear sits back up from the giant baby’s lap.

 

 

“I’m sorry, unnie.” Joy sticks her tongue out.

 

“Woah, do you have sixth sense now ?” Seulgi scratches her head.

 

 

“I asked you guys to bring me out here to breath in some fresh air, not to make out on your own.” Irene teases. 

 

She thought it would be a good idea going to this deserted section of the hospital, just to clear her mind and soul.

 

But it turns out to be better for the duo.

 

 

“Hmm…. Wendy is coming back, you will have someone to make out with very soon.” The bear laughs and her eyes disappear.

 

Joy does’t say anything but slaps the bear’s arm.

 

 

“I know. She called last night.” Irene giggles, rather evilly.

 

“Irene-unnie you don’t have to worry anymore, Wendy-unnie is really popular now. Soon you two will be the hottest couple in the world.” Joy cheerfully claps as she speaks.

 

“I didn’t expect she’d get this big, my 94-line buddy Seunghwan-ah ……. ” The bear pretends to wipe a tear from her eye.

 

 

“She should better get bigger and bigger so I don’t have to work anymore.” 

 

“Oh, unnie. Do you feel better today ?” Joy reminds herself of checking on Irene everyday and asks sheepishly.

 

“Yeah, your eyes…….” Seulgi slurs.

 

 

“It’s okay to ask. We’re friends, right ? By the way, sometimes I can sense brightness but some other times it remains pitch black.” Irene flashes a reassuring smile.

 

“At least it’s some progress !!! Will you have a scan later ?” Joy pouts a bit while checking her watch.

 

“You are recovering gradually. Don’t worry and just relax.” Seulgi adds.

 

 

“Yes, next week. I hope so. Considering Sooyoung still can’t really move much……” Irene sulks.

 

“But she is strong and recovering fast compared to other similar cases. The suspects are in jail now. So stay positive, unnie,” Joy does a little aegyo.

 

 

 

 

Irene waits for the bear’s comment yet there’s no sign of the mono-lid bear.

 

She thought they are making out again and patiently awaits.

 

 

 

The silence is too long and it creeps the 23-year-old a bit.

 

 

 

“Joy ? Seulgi ?” She calls out.

 

 

 

No responses.

 

 

 

Irene wonders how could they manage to flee without making any sound and why are they fleeing without any warning. 

 

She prays their hormone problems ain’t that severe.

 

 

 

The national goddess wants to return to her room but she indeed cannot.

 

Where could she go by herself ?

 

A blind girl pushing her own wheelchair ?

 

 

 

Just when she wants to call for help, someone grabs her hand.

 

 

 

 

“Oh my god !!! Don’t….. ” Irene screams as it might be some psychopath attackers again.

 

 

 

 

“It’s me.”

 

 

 

 

Irene recognizes this damn voice immediately.

 

 

“You’re late.” She smiles.

 

 

 

“I am not…….” 

 

Wendy kneels down before her cabbage’s wheelchair and holds her hands darlingly. 

 

“Hey, you told me the exact same words when we met after your debut stage. I was not late….for both times.”

 

 

 

“I have waited long enough.” Irene turns her head away.

 

“Today is 29th March.” Wendy interlaces their fingers. 

 

 

 

“And …. Happy Birthday ~ ” Our Olaf frees one hand to cup her cabbage’s cheek and places kisses on her forehand, nose and lips.

 

 

 

“I miss you.” Irene frowns a little when Wendy pulls away and starts pushing her wheelchair.

 

“I won’t leave you like that again.” Wendy whispers to her fluffy girlfriend’s ear while they are heading back to the latter’s room.

 

 

“So you told Seulgi and Joy to leave me alone ?” 

 

“I texted them as soon as I got off the plane. I just wanted to see you asap. Did they take good care of my cabbage ?”

 

“They did except making out whenever they had time.” Irene smirks.

 

“Hormones of young people.” Wendy chuckles.

 

 

“Wait. Aren’t you at the same age of Seulgi ?” Irene’s smirk goes wider.

 

 

“Oh… That…. She’s a bear and I’m just a snowman. We’re different.” Wendy blushes and feels a heat rushed to her face.

 

She is glad that Irene can’t see it.

 

 

 

Wendy has to admit that she did have dirty thoughts.

 

Who wouldn’t if they have such a flawless girlfriend ?

 

 

 

The newly-reunited couple merrily returns to Irene’s room.

 

 

“Argh….. Hello Mr. and Mrs. Bae.” Wendy takes a bow and greets Irene’s parents.

 

“Appa, omma… You’re here ?”

 

 

“Aigoo…. Today’s your birthday. How’re you doing, honey ?” Irene’s mom walks up to her dear daughter and pinches her face.

 

“So you’re back.” Irene’s dad talks to our Olaf instead.

 

“I’m great.”

 

“I have to be back.”

 

 

Wendy ends her reply with a bright smile and helps her cabbage to get on her bed from the wheelchair.

 

The parents watch and can’t help but to admire how caring she is.

 

 

“Seunghwan-ah, I heard you are a big star now. Thank you for staying with our Joohyun.” Irene’s mom takes Wendy’s hand and pets it gently.

 

“I’m sorry that I thought you would leave Joohyun. Since that Kyungsoo guy was here all the time after you disappeared.” Irene’s dad shyly smiles.

 

 

“If it wasn’t Joohyun, I couldn’t make those songs and be the Shon Seunghwan I am today.” Wendy looks over to Irene who is listening attentively.

 

“Appa, I think you should trust her now.” Irene cutely says with her rare aegyo tone.

 

 

“Araso……” Irene’s dad is happy hearing that and nods.

 

 

 

 

After some catching-up, Wendy glances back and forth to the parents and their child and stirs up her courage.

 

“Since you two are here, I want to sing a Korean song as I have promised.”

 

 

Somehow the now-huge-singer gets nervous to sing in front of her girlfriend’s parents.

 

 

“Good. I’ve waiting for this !!!” Irene’s mom joyfully cheers.

 

 

Wendy sits on the edge of Irene’s bed and sings.

 

 

 

“Are you still there ? Please don’t turn away.

I’m inching towards you one step at a time.

Don’t give me anything anymore,

Now it’s my turn to devote for you.”

 

 

 

Irene jumps a little, physically and emotionally.

 

Those should be her words to Wendy.

 

 

From the moment they met, Irene feels like she has owned her too much. 

 

Too much that she has to pay it with her entire life.

 

And she is more than happy to do that.

 

 

As for her parents, they are moved.

 

Not only because of her gifted voice, it’s also because of her heart.

 

 

 

“Let’s not love like this next time.

A heart that cannot be traded even the whole world is offered,

Even though everything would be forgotten bit by bit;

A love that burns wildly,

Would be the only thing left in my heart.”

 

 

 

Yes, if Wendy can choose, she won’t choose to love Irene like this again.

 

 

It is too deep.

 

Maybe it’s better if they aren’t public figures or both girls.

 

But for now, she is loving her whole-heartedly.

 

 

And she knows Irene is the same.

 

It is impossible for them to love someone else in this life of theirs.

 

 

Irene listens with her eyes closed.

 

And her parents are already in tears.

 

 

 

“Don’t think of those things which have already passed.

I am truly sorry for how much you had suffered alone.

Don’t think of those things which have not arrived yet,

Just stay at this moment forever and ever.”

 

(“Red Bean”- Lee Haeri @ Davichi)

 

 

 

Wendy ceases her singing and swallows her tears back.

 

She means every word her sang.

 

A Korean song for Irene.

 

 

Irene is adorably hugging her knees and biting her lower lip.

 

She is also trying not to cry.

 

 

“That’s ……. Amazing. Thank you, thank you so much…..” Irene’s mom pulls Wendy into a warm embrace.

 

“Seunghwan, you’re a really good girl. What did my daughter do to have someone like you ?” Irene’s dad smiles and pats Wendy on the shoulder.

 

 

“She did nothing.” Wendy lets out a soft chuckle when she breaks the hug. “I am doing everything I can to keep her by my side, not me staying…... I need her.” 

 

 

The parents share a look and give a understanding nod simultaneously.

 

 

 

They soon leave seeing the most trustworthy person of their daughter’s happiness in the world has returned.

 

 

 

And Irene is happily lying in Wendy’s arms.

 

 

 

“Pabo.” She pokes her Olaf’s cheek.

 

“I am.” Olaf sweetly smiles in return.

 

“Would things really be easier if we are normal people and one of us is a guy ?”

 

“Most likely.”

 

“So did you ever regret ? Even for one second ?” Irene nuzzles closer to hear Wendy’s steady heartbeat.

 

“No, not for one second. But like I’ve said, let’s not do it again.” Wendy rests her head on Irene’s.

 

 

“And Wendy-ah, ” Irene pauses to choose the right words. “You talked to Kyungsoo, right ?”

 

“Yeah…. I bumped into him before I left. He told me everything and I asked him to do me a flavor. I lied to you since I think I shouldn’t be the one spilling things out.”

 

“I understand. But won’t you worry him doing anything to me ?”

 

“He is a nice guy. I feel like I should give him a “chance”, you know ?”

 

 

“I still feel bad.” Irene pouts.

 

“You’re like Taeyeon-unnie — having a person loving you while you are in love with another.” Wendy smoothens Irene’s hair.

 

“I know….”

 

 

 

“So Irene, ” Wendy turns her cabbage around to face her, sounding serious. “Do you wanna move in with me ?”

 

 

 

It takes Irene minutes to process such a short sentence.

 

 

 

“So you got a house of your own ?” 

 

 

 

“I bought it with my first salary as a singer.” Wendy proudly nods.

 

“Wow, you must earn a lot.”

 

“Or else how am I going to take care of you, Bae Joohyun ? For the rest of our lives ? Until we’re old and get wrinkles looking like raisins ?” Wendy jokes and tickles Irene.

 

“Yah !!! I’m not going to look like raisins, ain’t I ……….” 

 

“Pabo, we are both going to look like raisins and I will still love you as always.” Wendy pecks the older girl’s lips.

 

 

 

Irene is brightened up by the kiss and picks up their original topic, “Where’s it then ? When did you buy a house ? How come I didn’t know anything ?”

 

“Easy…… I had been preparing it long time ago. Taeyeon-unnie and Sera-unnie helped me with that when I was not around. AND…… it’s your birthday present.” 

 

“The house ?” Irene squeaks.

 

“The house and moving in with me. Happy Birthday~ My Irene, my cabbage, my dearest Bae Joohyun ~~~” Wendy fishes out the house key from her bag and hands it to Irene.

 

 

“Oh my goodness, this is real.” Irene’s fingers feel the cold metal.

 

 

“It’s not far from Taeyeon-unnie’s apartment, and also Jessica-unnie’s.” 

 

Wendy uses her thumbs to wipe her cabbage’s tears. 

 

“Doctors said you’re good to go as long as you have someone to look after you.”

 

 

 

“Yes, I do.” Irene smiles through tears and answers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm finally back !!!!! Wenrene has made some process once again ~~~ Yoohoo !!

And be patient, other charcters will make their appearcance again soon ;D

Irene's dad has also finally accepted them. *hurray*

 

Please bear with my slow updates.

I promise I will get one up here as soon as I get one done. *pinky* 

 

 

Hope you enjoy this chapter and see you !!!!

xo