29. Enchanted

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

 

Wendy is preparing her debut and producing songs.

 

Irene is preparing her comeback and practicing new choreography.

 

 

Taeyeon is preparing her filming project and writing her new novel.

 

Jessica is preparing her runway show and finishing up her designs.

 

 

 

It’s already February.

 

 

Everything has been delayed a bit.

 

 

 

Wendy has been only going back and forth among 3 places — home, Taeyeon’s studio,  and Irene’s practice room.

 

So does Irene — home, recording studio, practice room.

 

 

 

But no.

 

Irene has to another important thing coming up.

 

 

 

Her Olaf’s birthday.

 

 

 

So she secretly asks her friends to help. 

 

All.

 

Including Taeyeon, Jessica, Seulgi, Joy, Chorong, Sera, Hyuna, T.O.P, and even Uji. 

 

It’s gonna be epic.

 

 

 

 

To be perfectly honest, Wendy knows her fluffy little 23-year-old national goddess cabbage Bae Joohyun Irene would celebrate with her, maybe some surprises and .

 

So she’ll just patiently wait.

 

 

 

 

*21st February, 7:07am*

 

 

 

 

A call wakes the birthday girl from her sound sleep.

 

 

“Hello ?” She looks at the clock and grumbles.

 

“Open the freaking door. I’m freezing here.” Irene sounds annoyed.

 

“Okay……Give me a second.” Wendy rubs her sleepy eyes and jumps out of her warm bed.

 

 

No signs of Taeyeon and Ginger.

 

 

And Irene is pressing the door bell restlessly.

 

Forming a weird melody — out of tone, out of key.

 

 

Wendy stumbles to the door and opens it.

 

 

Revealing an Irene who’s heavily armed with clothes.

 

 

A big- coat covering 70% of her body, a red checkered scarf covering half of her face, a beanie.

 

Her nose is also red. Her cheeks are rosy.

 

One hand on the door bell. One hand holding a framed canvas wrapped by parchment paper, which is taller than the petite Irene.

 

 

“Come in. Stop the creepy stares.” Wendy pulls Irene into her house, and helps her to carry the canvas inside.

 

 

“It’s really cold out there.” Irene cutely rubs her hands like a rabbit, and comfortably plants herself on the sofa.

 

“Is it for me ?” Wendy grins and carefully places the canvas by the dinning table.

 

 

“For the birthday girl ~” Irene removes her “gears” and smiles.

 

“I know it.” Wendy bends down and kisses Irene’s cheek.

 

 

Then she goes on closing all the windows in the house, and heads to the kitchen to boil some water.

 

 

“Happy Birthday~~~~~ ” Irene sneaks from behind and hugs her Olaf’s waist. 

 

It’s not too thin. Just right for cuddling.

 

 

“Thanks.”

 

“I have so much more planned for you today.” Irene buries her face into the crook of Wendy’s neck, inhaling her scent.

 

 

“I’m so thrilled right now.” Wendy chuckles. “Hot chocolate or coffee ?”

 

“Chocolate ~~~”

 

 

“Alright. You have planned so much so that you had to wake me up so early ?” Wendy lets out a yawn while Irene is still clinging onto her.

 

“You don’t wanna spend this day with me ?” Irene tightens her grip.

 

 

“Hey….. Easy, my ribs would break….  I was just saying you must have woken up quite early too.” Wendy coughs and tries to shake her girlfriend off.

 

“Of course. It’s your birthday today. And I’m your girlfriend.” Irene just won’t let go and sticks to her warm back without any space.

 

 

“I can’t make you anything if you keep acting like that.” Wendy puts down the mugs.

 

“Then don’t.” Irene childishly starts pecking Wendy’s face as if she’s a woodpecker and her Olaf is a tree.

 

 

 

 

Wendy is drinking her coffee and eating her breakfast with a blush on her face.

 

Irene is enjoying her hot chocolate and fixes her clothes.

 

 

 

 

“Do you know what should I call you now ? Not cabbage anymore, it’s cougar. You’re a cougar.” Wendy swallows her omelet.

 

“You like it , don’t you ?” Irene her lips. “Count it as one of your birthday gifts.”

 

 

“I-I….. Just get me mentally prepared first next time.” Wendy rests her chin on her hand.

 

“So, do you wanna unwrap another one ?” Irene points at the huge canvas.

 

“Of course.” Wendy sips on her morning coffee.

 

 

She cautiously tears the wrapping paper and there is a live-size portrait.  

 

Well, not exactly a portrait, ‘cause the two person there don’t show their faces.

 

 

It’s Irene and Wendy’s silhouettes on the front porch of a house.

 

They are sitting side by side, facing a beautiful sunset. 

 

(like this ^^)

 

 

 

 

“Hey, I thought you said you couldn’t draw me a portrait when you confessed that night.” Wendy turns to her girlfriend with a big grin on her face. “And you drew one in Daegu. And now. Well, technically, it isn’t but….. This is extraordinary. You should try painting after you retired from the show biz.”

 

 

Irene stands up from her chair and folds her arms, biting her lips. 

 

“I thought someone said she wanted to see how we’d grow old together. This is how I pictured it in my head. We’ll leave everything behind and live together in somewhere far far away, happily ever after.” 

 

“And I don’t plan to work after I retired. Someone’ll take care of me.”

 

 

 

“I think that someone is me.” Wendy pulls her girlfriend into her embrace, trying to merge her little frame into her own.

 

“Spend the rest of your life with me.” Irene wanted to say “I love you”, but it’s such a cliché.

 

“I am already on it.” Wendy smiles.

 

“Find a decent place to hang it. Now, let’s move on.” Irene pulls away and puts on her “gears” again.

 

“We’re going out ?”

 

“Yeah. Get changed now.” Irene smirks and smacks Wendy’s .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene takes Wendy to the same hotel roof.

 

 

“It’s great that we’ve used elevator this time.” Wendy jokes.

 

“Pfff…… Get your to the little tent there.” Irene pushes her Olaf.

 

“Hey, you copied my idea.” 

 

“Not really.” 

 

 

Wendy enters the tent and spots a projector.

 

 

“Hmm~ This is new.” She raises her eyebrow.

 

“Shut your mouth and admire my work.” Irene presses some buttons and it starts projecting on the wall.

 

 

 

It’s a simple video.

 

With all of her friends and family saying “Happy Birthday” and tell Wendy to marry Irene asap.

 

 

 

Wendy is smiling all the way.

 

 

 

“So you have asked Taeyeon-unnie to edit this, right ? And what’s up with the marrying stuff ? Is this a propose video ?”

 

“Won’t you use one second praising my effort there ?” Irene pouts.

 

“No~~” Wendy side-hugs her cabbage and kisses her cheek. “I mean, I am touched. Really. You spent so much time to prepare these for me while you are having your comeback soon.”

 

“I told them to say something about us …. I didn’t put a gun on their head.” Irene cracks a sweet smile. She loves skin-ships.

 

“You know I am going nowhere, Bae Joohyun.”

 

“I know. Now head downstair. We’re having a party for you there.”

 

“What ? We’re throwing a party at …. 11:45 ?” Wendy unbelievably checks her watch.

 

“I am hungry. Your friends are waiting.” Irene dearly grabs her Olaf’s hands.

 

 

 

 

 

As soon as Wendy steps into the banquet room, party poppers are pulled above her head.

 

 

Taeyeon counts, “Guys, 1 –— 2 —— 3 !!!”

 

 

And the others start singing, “Happy Birthday to you~ Happy Birthday to you ~ Happy Birthday to Wendy….. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU !!!!!!!!”

 

 

 

Wendy finds a tear forming at the corner of her eye, “Thank you guys. Thanks for coming.”

 

Irene is cleaning the colored paper slips from her Olaf’s head.

 

 

 

Jessica laughs, “I won’t come if you’re not Irene’s girlfriend.”

 

Seulgi pats Wendy’s shoulder, “My 94-line buddy, we’re now 21~ I’m so happy that we both got a girlfriend now !!!!!”

 

Joy smiles widely and hands a big box to Wendy, “Happy Birthday unnie~ This is our present for you. We love you as always ~”

 

Sera does a fist-bump with Wendy, “Yo man, you’re all grown-up now. I feel so proud of you. Hyuna and me have something for you too.”

 

Hyuna gives Wendy a paper bag, “Hi Wendy-ah ~~ Happy Birthday. Enjoy and have fun~”

 

Chorong shyly smiles and serves a big birthday cake, “Boss…. Wendy-ah. I-I don’t know what to buy, so I made this instead. Happy Birthday !”

 

T.O.P does a little dorky bingu dance and flashes a card, “Seunghwan… Wendy-ah~~ Oppa is proud of you. I got you some nice furniture, take this to the shop and they will deliver them to your house. Saranghae ~~~”

 

Taeyeon is the last one. She gently holds Wendy’s hand and says, “Unnie knows it has been rough for you. And now you have found your one and only. I wish you two all the best. You have all of my blessing, Wendy-ah. Jessica and I got you some new instruments. They’re in my studio now.”

 

 

 

Wendy is crying a river and Irene is rubbing her arm comforting her.

 

 

 

“How lucky I am to have you guys in my life.” She mutters the words within her sobbing.

 

 

“Hey, don’t talk like this. You’re a great person. We are lucky to have you too.” Sera smiles.

 

“Yeah, as seniors, sometimes it’s you who remind us to be a better person. Always bright and positive. Right, Seunghyun-xi ?” Taeyeon looks at T.O.P who is eyeing at the cake.

 

“Yeah~ And you can call me oppa, Taeyeon.” T.O.P childishly smiles.

 

 

 

“So it’s time to cut the birthday cake !!!” Joy joyful announces.

 

 

They light the candles and let Wendy to make a wish.

 

 

“First, I hope everyone here can find their happiness in life.” Wendy crosses her fingers. “Second, I wish for the well-beings for everyone I loved. And third……..”

 

She makes her final wish in her heart with her eyes and blows all the candles in one breath.

 

 

 

“Thanks for the birthday party and gifts. It’s so magical ……I would never forget today.” Wendy shows her sunshine smile to her loved ones, and takes Irene’s hand.

 

 

 

“Now’s party time guys ~~~~ Enjoy yourselves !!!!” Taeyeon raises her coke and exclaims.

 

 

 

At one time in Wendy’s life, she thought she was destined to walk alone. 

 

She was rejected multiple times in auditions just because her figure was not “ideal”.

 

She had to leave her family in order to pursue her dream.

 

She was once cheated by someone she loved.

 

She had strived alone in an unfamiliar country.

 

 

 

She looks across the room and realizes something.

 

 

 

Everyone is actually born alone. 

 

Although we have families, they won’t walk with us forever.

 

We have to search for our friends, our partners, our mates throughout the short lives we have.

 

A process of trial and error.

 

That’s how we learn, isn’t it ?

 

 

 

And she is so happy that she has made it.

 

 

 

This is like a dream for her.

 

She could feel all the love enfolding her body, her heart, her soul.

 

What could be better ?

 

 

 

 

They eat and drink their hearts out. They sing. They dance. They talk. They laugh. They cry.

 

No burdens, no worries.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s almost 4 when the birthday party ends.

 

Irene has to bring her girlfriend to another location for another “surprise”.

 

 

 

 

“So we’re taking bus this time, how innovative.” Wendy mumbles as they are standing in a extremely packed bus.

 

“I thought we haven’t tried this for a long time.” Irene speaks as she holds onto Wendy’s arm.

 

“I can barely maintain my balance here ….. Someone might recognize you….”

 

“I didn’t put on much make-up and I have a scarf on. Moreover, I don’t think people here have the leisure to look at us.” Irene smiles and nuzzles closer.

 

 

The bus is brought to halt in a split second and Irene stomps right on her Olaf’s foot.

 

 

“Sh-….. So that’s your surprise ? I think you’ve smashed my toes there.” Wendy sheds a tear and painfully closes her eyes.

 

“Are you okay ? I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…..” A wave of guilty rushes to Irene as her Olaf’s head is smacked by a woman’s purse.

 

“What kind of sin I did for this kind of torture…… How long ’til we get there ?” Wendy mutters in pain, grinding her teeth.

 

“Just two more stops.” Irene places her hand on her Olaf’s waist for support.

 

 

 

 

They get off from the bus and it’s Wendy’s collage.

 

 

“What’re we doing here ?” Wendy limps towards the main entrance.

 

“I brought you to my high school. And I figured that you might want to come back too….. Do you feel better now ?” 

 

“I … I just needa sit.” 

 

 

So they rest a bit on a bench nearby and start prancing again.

 

 

“I’m glad that I have my Dr. Martins on.” Wendy flexes her feet a bit.

 

“How’s your head ?” Irene worriedly pets her head.

 

“I’m alright now.” Wendy smiles, enjoying the loving look of her girlfriend. 

 

 

 

“Hey, is that Wendy ? WENDY !! It’s me, Sohyun ~” A cute-looking girl cheerfully comes up to the couple and waves.

 

“Oh hi ! It’s been a long time.” Wendy’s mood is lightened up seeing her schoolmate again.

 

“Seulgi said you dropped out ! I saw you on the business news too. We miss you so much !!!” Sohyun is also a member from 94-line, yet she’s from another faculty.

 

“Yeah, I went back to Canada and take over my family business.” Wendy lies a bit since she can’t spill the beans now.

 

“And ….. This is I-Irene ??????? You two know each other ? W-”

 

 

Wendy covers and drags her to a quiet corner.

 

 

“Keep it down. We are …. friends. Don’t tell anyone else, okay ?”

 

“Hi, I’m Irene. Nice to meet you.” Irene changes into her professional mode.

 

“Okay. Can I ask for an autograph ? Or a selfie ?” Sohyun is thrilled to meet the new national goddess.

 

 

 

Wendy is sauntering after Irene.

 

She has no idea how on earth she knows where to go.

 

 

 

“Where are you bringing me to ? We have just passed the stadium.”

 

“Who said I am going there ? It’s the music department we’re on to, Shon Seunghwan.” Irene turns around and shoots a glare.

 

“What ?” Wendy doesn’t really have a good impression towards that place. 

 

 

Since it’s full of students dreaming to be the next national idol and they’re mostly good-looking kids with high self-esteem.

 

(Un)Fortunately, in the past two years’ singing contests, Wendy the contemporary arts student took the cake and stole the spotlight instead.

 

 

“I booked a room there. Quit the nagging and follow me.” Irene chirps. 

 

 

Just when they enter the building, they come across with another schoolmate of Wendy.

 

 

“Oh, Wendy ~ it’s you ! I thought we won’t see you again !” This tall girl with long dark hair goes by the name Suzy merrily greets the ex-school-heartthrob.

 

“Hello ~ I heard you are debuting soon, right ?” Wendy smiles kindly towards the school star.

 

“Hi, I’m Wendy’s friend.” Irene seems alerted and decides to introduce herself first this time.

 

 

“You’re Irene !!!! Hello there ~ You look prettier in real life !! And yes, finally. Where’ve you been ?” Suzy can also dance and sing very well, she is one of the best in the department.

 

“Congraz~ I went to take care of my family’s business. So….” Wendy politely answers.

 

“Thank you very much.” Irene softly smiles.

 

“What a pity that you aren’t here now. The freshmen this year ain’t that good. We’re lacking talent here. So why are you back again ?” Suzy innocently continues to ask.

 

“I asked her to take me here. I wanna drag her to teach my how to play guitar. This is a really nice school, by the way.” Irene forestalls and makes up an excuse.

 

“Yeah……” Wendy nods like a bobbing head doll. A bobbing head Olaf.

 

“I see…. Enjoy your stay then. Nice to see you again, Wendy~ Keep in touch !!” Suzy gives an understanding look and leaves.

 

 

So they continue their journey again.

 

 

“That girl, must be very popular here.” Irene whispers. “I saw her face on the poster at the front gate.”

 

“Yes.” Wendy chuckles. “She’s like the goddess here. FYI, her name is Bae Suzy. Same surname as yours.”

 

“What company is she in ?” Irene asks as she climbs up the stairs.

 

“JYP. She’s been a trainee before she got admitted here.”

 

“Who’s more popular ? You or her ?” Irene is an inquisitive child.

 

“Her.” Wendy replies without any hesitation.

 

“Really ?” Irene stops, almost collides with her Olaf who is shadowing close form behind.

 

“Why not ? Look at her — “the next national little sister”. It’s what they called her.” Wendy  impatiently pushes Irene to go on.

 

“Then what are you ?” 

 

“The Canadian kid.” Wendy shrugs. “The Canadian multi-instrumentalist. The Canadian girl who sings very well but her major is Contemporary Arts. The Canadian girl with a  creepy smile on her face 24/7.”

 

“Woah, that’s a lot.” Irene giggles and slaps her arm. “But you’re indeed a lot better than these.”

 

“Whatever.” 

 

 

 

Irene manages to find the room she has reserved. 

 

With the help of the ex-student Wendy.

 

 

 

 

“So about that Suzy ……” Irene is searching her bag as she blurts out. “Did you ever hit on her or did she ….. Is she trying to hit on you ?”

 

“Uh ?” Wendy carelessly trips over the drum set. “No and no. There have been rumors that she is with another boy from the same dance class.”

 

“Okay ~ ” Irene fishes out a piece of paper.

 

“What is that for ? Are you really going to ask me to teach you guitar ?” Wendy with her one-side-eyebrow-raised-inquiring look.

 

“That’s my note. Today, I am going to play guitar for you.” Irene beams and picks up a guitar.

 

“When did you learn to play ?” Wendy is amazed to witness her cabbage holding a guitar and tuning it.

 

“When you were not around.” Irene sweetly smiles. “I even asked Uji to help me with the practicing….. I have to warn you first, I only play a few simple chords.”

 

“It’s already enough….. It’s already enough……” Wendy feels her eyes getting blurry.

 

 

 

Irene eases her nerves down.

 

Guitar on her lap.

 

A deep breath.

 

 

 

“There I was again tonight forcing laughter, faking smiles,
Same old tired, lonely place.
Walls of insincerity, shifting eyes and vacancy,
Vanished when I saw your face.

All I can say is, 

It was enchanting to meet you.”

 

 

 

Irene didn’t really pay attention to western music before she met her Canadian girlfriend.

 

 

After Wendy has come in her life, Irene has changed in many ways.

 

 

It’s like she has brought the colors back to her monotonous life.

 

 

 

“Your eyes whispered "have we met?”,

Across the room your silhouette,
Starts to make its way to me.


The playful conversation starts,

Counter all your quick remarks
Like passing notes in secrecy.

And it was enchanting to meet you,
All I can say is I was enchanted to meet you.”

 

 

 

Irene sang to Wendy once through the phone.

 

It’s so different when you see it with your own eyes.

 

 

It’s true that Irene is a little clumsy plucking the strings.

 

Who cares ? That is incredibly cute in Wendy’s eyes.

 

 

If you asked Irene, she would say it were her eyes and smile.

 

That captivated her at the first place.

 

That enchanted her to get closer, and closer.

 

 

 

“This night is sparkling, don't you let it go.
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home.
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew,
I was enchanted to meet you.

The lingering question kept me up 2am, who do you love?
I wonder till I'm wide awake.
Now I'm pacing back and forth, wishing you were at my door,
I'd open up and you would say, hey.

 

 

 

Irene gets stuck a bit and Wendy darlingly puts her own fingers around hers.

 

“Hey.” Wendy smiles and guides her fingers to the right places, on the right strings.

 

 


“This is me praying that this was the very first page,
Not where the story line ends.
My thoughts will echo your name until I see you again,
These are the words I held back as I was leaving too soon.

I was enchanted to meet you,
Please don't be in love with someone else,
Please don't have somebody waiting on you.”

 

(“Enchanted” - Taylor Swift)

 

 

 

“Well done, my cabbage.” Wendy hugs her girlfriend from the back.

 

“But I messed up a bit.” Irene pouts.

 

 

“You’ve done excellent. As a beginner.” Wendy snatches the guitar and puts it aside. “And, don’t worry. There’s no one else but you.”

 

“So you like it ?” 

 

“I like everything you do.” Wendy tardily rocks their bodies from left to right.

 

“I know it.”

 

 

“Then why bother to ask ?”

 

“I wanna hear it from your mouth, pabo.”

 

 

“Thank you for everything you do. This is one of the best day in my life.” Wendy murmurs next to Irene’s ears.

 

“What would be the others ?” 

 

“In the past, like some with my family. Some with my friends. Some with Taeyeon-unnie. The day you confessed to me. In the future, maybe my debut day, we get married and such.”

 

“I like your answer ~ ” Irene smirks.

 

 

 

A passionate kiss.

 

 

 

 

“You still have …… about 6 hours ’til your birthday ends.” Irene checks the time while they are walking out from the campus. “What do you wanna do ?”

 

“I don’t know. Anywhere we can go......” Wendy holds Irene’s hand as no one is around. “Will you come with me ?”

 

“Sure. Anywhere you go."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi guys !!!! Miss me ? :D

Sorry if I don't update so often as I did in the summer /_\

I hope you enjoy this chapter and this fanfic as a whole ~~

 

And I have started another short one named "Words She Didn't Say".

Also a Wendy x Irene story.

Check that out XD

(ps it's quite different from this one)

 

 

Stay tuned!!!! 

xo