14. Homeless

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

“Could I wake up next to you when we're hitting double figures?

Look into your eyes like I'm looking into double mirrors ?

Could you make it any clearer?

Everything's such a blur.

It's not my turn, it's hers to get hurt…….

 

It's not a homeless life for me

It's just I'm home less than I'd like to be.”

 

(“Homeless” - Ed Sheeran)

 

 

 

Wendy is standing by the pedestrian crossing at Toronto Pearson Airport, with her luggages by her side.

 

She realizes she’s finally “home” when she breathes in the maple-flavor air.

 

It’s like only 60 seconds ago when she hugged her girlfriend so tightly at Incheon.

 

So tightly as if she’s trying to merge Irene into her body.

 

She could still feel the warmth of Irene, still smell the milky scent of Taeyeon, still see the tearing cat-eyes of Seulgi and the big smiling (yet with tears streaming) face of baby Joy.

 

 

The Canadian-born Korean interlaces the fingers of her own two hands in the chilly autumn weather, trying to imitate Irene’s bony hand holding hers.

 

Gosh, I’m already missing her so much.

 

Taeyeon-unnie I can tell you right now — yeah, I’m hopelessly in love.

 

 

“Wendy-ah ! ” A husky voice brings Wendy out from her trance. 

 

 

The 20-year-old looks up and sees a dark brunette stepping out from a dull-black Chevrolet Camaro SS. 

 

“Sera !!!! It’s been a long time !!!” She rushes into the brunette’s embrace bursting English.

 

“Hey, kid. When’s the last time I saw you ? Nice hair, by the way.” Sera ruffles Wendy’s hair dearly.

 

“Hehehe, thanks. Hmm….. Like 2 years ago when you went to Korean for Hyuna-unnie ?” 

 

“Argh…. Let’s go to your parents’ house first. Get in ~” Sera sighs before helping Wendy to carry her luggages to the car.

 

 

 

Wendy decides to come clean and quit the chatter when the car’s on the highway.

 

“Sera, I got a girlfriend.”

 

“Korean ?” Sera glances at the younger girl for 0.005 second and goes back to her driving.

 

 

Sera is also a Canadian-born Korean, and has been Wendy’s neighbor since they were small. 

 

She’s been a great big sister for our Olaf. 

 

Including she is the one who enlightened Wendy Shon Seunghwan’s inner gayness.

 

It’s because she had to explain the little girl her relationship with a red-haired Korean hottie named Moon Hyuna.

 

 

“Yup~ Name’s Irene, Bae Joohyun, my cabbage ~~~~~~” Wendy cheers up a bit thinking about her fluffy little girlfriend.

 

“Wait. Your girlfriend is the rookie Irene ??” Sera widens her already-huge eyes.

 

“Yes.” Wendy confidently and proudly nods. “We met before her debut and she confessed at the her debut day~~~~”

 

“Damn girl ~ She’s hot and super cute. Unnie is proud of you ~~~ Korean girls are daebak !!!” The older girl gives a thumb-up while her other hand’s on the wheel.

 

“I know right. But Hyuna-unnie is hotter.” Wendy shows her Taeyeon-smirk.

 

 

 

Wendy’s ex is an American-Spanish mixed. Beautiful but hella bossy.   

 

It took our Olaf 3 months to break up with her.

 

Poor Wendy.

 

Not-so-good first love experience.

 

 

 

“Have you seen her lately?” Sera spots the smirk from the rear mirror and is quite surprised. So Taeyeon.

 

“We’ve met for a couple times back in Korea. So when’re you going back to Korea ? She is just playing with her cats at home all day, or takes a few modeling jobs for living.”

 

“How about we go back together later?” Sera thinks for a while and shows a cheeky grin.

 

“Nice ~”

 

“Now tell me about Irene ~~~ ”

 

 

 

Wendy manages to tell all about her and Irene before Sera parks her car at Wendy’s “home” in the suburb.

 

 

 

Her sister is the first to welcome the 20-year-old after almost 4 years.

 

“Seunghwannie ~ ”

 

“Unnie ~~~~”

 

The siblings share a brief but heartily hug.

 

 

“Seunghwan-ah ~ ” Her mother is the second.

 

“Mom ~~~!” 

 

Another hug.

 

 

“Seun-”

 

“Dad !!!!!!!”

 

And another hug.

 

 

“I miss you guys. Really ……. And I’m sorry…..” The girl is crying like a river reuniting with her family.

 

Sera hands her a tissue and pats her head.

 

 

“The only thing that matters is you’re back now.” Her dad says as he wrap his arm around his sobbing wife’s shoulder.

 

“Seunghwan-ah, no need to say sorry……. We’re family. We respect you as always. Look at my daughter now, so pretty…… Oh my…….”

 

“Hwannie, why don’t Sera and me get your luggages to your room while you go upstairs to check on grandpa ?” Her sister wipes a tear and says.

 

 

 

Wendy takes a long deep breathe before she places her knuckles on the wooden door.

 

“Who’s it ?” A feeble, old, manly voice.

 

“It’s me, Seunghwan.” Wendy replies as she pushes the door open.

 

 

A old grey-bearded man lying on his bed.

 

His eyes still sparkle seeing his favorite child.

 

 

“Grandpa.” Tears fill up her eyes again when Wendy sits on the edge of the bed.

 

“My dear……. You’re finally here.” He reaches out his wrinkled hand.

 

Wendy holds it with both of her hands. 

 

Hot tears dropping on his cold skin.

 

“I’m sorry………. I’m so sorry…. I didn’t know you’re sick until unnie called.”

 

“I’d never blame you ……” The old man pauses and coughs for seconds. “You know I love you the most….. Even more than your father.” 

 

 

He uses his trembling hand to cup the weeping child’s face darlingly and wipe her tears. 

 

“How did the doctor say ? Ain’t there any cure or medication ???” Wendy touches the hand on her cheek.

 

“Hmmm……. Dear, you know I’m already 82 and it’s natural for an old dude like me to be on my deathbed…….  It’s no use to waste money or time.” Her grandpa strives to inhale and exhale his every breathe, his thin body looks like it would break every time he breathes.  

 

“Grandpa…….. I should have spent more time with you…….. ” She witnesses how bad it is now and knows that he doesn’t have much time left.

 

“Never mind, my dear. As long as I can see your face before I kick the bucket……”

 

 

Wendy’s brain goes blank. She knew he’s going to die. 

 

But it’s different when she sees with her own eyes.

 

 

 

The girl softly trims his beard with her slender fingers.

 

The old man lets off a soundless chuckle.

 

 

She did that a lot in the old days.

 

When she was building snowman with him at the backyard, when she was playing hide-seek with him in the park, when she was collecting berries with him in the bushes, when she was begging him for more bedtime stories.  

 

“Come on Grandpa ~ ” She would whine in her infantile voice.

 

“Okay.” And the old man always has a soft spot on this bright child.

 

 

He is her closet family member.

 

Her parents were busy working. Her sister has a totally different personality and interests.

 

 

 

“You know, my dear…….  Old man wants a flavor from you as his last wish.” 

 

“Yes ?” 

 

“I’ll let you know after dinner……. I shall rest now…..” He coughs fiercely and gestures her to leave. 

 

A personal nurse rushes in while Wendy is exiting the room.

 

 

She hopes to do something for him so that he can pass away peacefully.

 

She would fulfill his last wish at all cost. If it doesn’t do any harm to Irene, Taeyeon, Seulgi or Joy.

 

 

 

Speaking of them, she has sent them a few texts.

 

And she plans to call them before bed. 

 

 

 

Now she has to catch up with her family and Sera first.

 

 

Wendy settles down by the dinner table.

 

“So, how’s your life in Korea ?” Her dad kindly asks and passes her a plate of vegetable.

 

“Yeah, how’s Taeyeon ?” Her mom joins in.

 

“It’s quite nice there……. Taeyeon-unnie’s just started to let me take charge of some of her work. It’s some really nice opportunity. She’s doing fine too. And I’ve made a lot of friends there. People are all nice to me.”

 

“Last time I checked, Taeyeon’s got a really nice apartment and studio. She takes care of Wendy very well. And you know what, our Seunghwan’s got a girlfriend too~” Sera spills the important part.

 

“For real ? Who ? My darling, you haven’t dated for such a long time and I thought that Cara hurt you bad. I have been searching for a good girl for you all the time.” Her mom brightens up hearing her daughter has good news to tell.

 

“So ….. is that Seulgi or Joy ?” Her sister makes a wild guess since Wendy hasn’t really shared every bit of details with her within those 4 years.

 

“Or is that Taeyeon ? She seems to be a good person. It’s better to date a Korean too.” Her dad makes a wilder guess as he touches his mustache. 

 

 

Wendy gets choked by the food in .

 

Sera nearly spits her soup out.

 

 

“No~~~ My girlfriend is called Irene, Bae Joohyun. She’s 23, from Daegu, an artist.” Wendy rolls her eyes and shows them a selfie of her and Irene in her phone.

 

“I approve that.” Sera keeps nodding while she helps to pass the phone around.

 

“I thought it’s Taeyeon since you two are close.” Her dad playfully sticks his tongue out.

 

“Dad~ Taeyeon-unnie to me is like Sera. And she loves someone else too……”

 

“Darling, I thought you had a little crush on her….. Anyway, that’s one beauty !!!!! Like a doll ~~~ Oh what a good taste !!!!!” Her mom is so satisfied with Irene that her sister has to snatch the phone from her hands in order to take a look.

 

“I’ve seen her performance….. She’s a good one.” Seemingly her sister approves too.

 

“But would it be difficult for you two to date ? I mean, people in Korea are quite conservative……” Her dad raises a question regarding to her daughter’s happiness.

 

“Mom, it was in the past …… Actually quite a number of people in the show biz are gay …… We can cover up for each other. I have some gossips …..” Wendy pauses and retrieves her phone, while her family and Sera are all listening attentively and expectantly.

 

 

“So, you guys have heard of Tiffany, right ? The national star ? She likes Taeyeon-unnie.”

 

“WHAT ???? Why didn’t you tell me earlier ???” Sera jumps from her seat.

 

“Geez, Taeyeon must be a very good girl.” Her dad comments.

 

And other two women just can’t react and only nod.

 

“Don’t tell anybody. I only brought this up ‘cause you guys mentioned it first and Taeyeon-unnie seems burdened by it.” Wendy warns seriously.

 

The other four nod like they are shaking their brains off their heads.

 

“So Taeyeon doesn’t like Tiffany.” Sera regains her sense.

 

“Hmm…..  She loves the fashion designer Jessica Jung. They were together for some time and they broke up. But they are “reconnecting” lately. Since Jessica-unnie is close to Irene.” Wendy explains the complicated story in the simplest way and quotes Taeyeon’s word.

 

 

“Gosh, better than those TV dramas.” Her mom finally speaks up.

 

“I know Jessica is kinda gay….. I can tell from my gaydar.” Sera mutters.

 

Wendy shrugs and finishes her spaghetti.

 

 

“Darling, too bad you didn’t tell me you have a girlfriend last time you called.” Her mom suddenly says out of the blue.

 

Wendy and Sera turn to each other.

 

 

Sera — No ……. Is she trying to introduce you to someone ? 

 

Wendy — If she is, I’m deep man. What should I do now ?

 

 

Then they look at Wendy’s dad.

 

Dad — I told her not to.

 

Wendy — Help me out.

 

 

Wendy’s mom sees the exchanging of looks and cuts them off.

 

“There’s a Korean girl, quite nice and pretty. Also 23, comes from Seoul. Ate with us for a few times. Daughter of a friend of mine. Lives near our neighborhood. Her family has just moved here about 1 year ago.”

 

She introduces briefly as if it’s a beauty pageant.

 

“Mom ~~~ What’ve you told her ? I have to say Irene is the jealous type.” Wendy pouts when she remembers how Irene kills her with deathly icy glares, whenever she suspects Wendy is checking on other girls or has skin-ships with people other than Irene herself.

 

“Nothing. She just kept telling stories about you and asking about her dating history.” Wendy’s sister scoffs.

 

“You mom ain’t that obvious. She didn’t say Seunghwan likes girls….. But she didn’t ‘cause I stopped her to. Still, your mom has confirmed she likes girls though….” Her dad laughs.

 

“How come I didn’t know about it …… I live next door !!!!!!” Sera complains.

 

 

“So what have you planned ? A lunch ? A dinner ?” Wendy leans her back on the chair and is frustrated as hell.

 

“Come on, Seunghwannie~~~~~~~ You can make a new friend although you are taken, right ? You can show her around~~~” Her mom does a little aegyo, making her dad face-palms so hard.

 

Her sister pretends to vomit and Sera pretends she didn’t see it.

  

“Mom. I haven’t been here for 4 years. I bet things here have changed a lot.” Wendy rolls her eyes so hard that her eyes are gonna pop out.

 

“Then she could show you around ~~~” 

 

“Stop that. Whatever you’re doing.”

 

“Let her talk to Irene tonight and see if she agrees.” Her dad can’t stand one more second and comes up with a plan.

 

“Dad, you’re the best. I’ll call her before bed. Mom, I’ll let you know in the morning.” Wendy is happy that her dad solves it cleverly.

 

“It’s the best for you all.” Sera nods along with Wendy's sister.

 

 

Dinner ends soon and Sera goes back to her own house.

 

“Call me if you need help, for tomorrow.” Sera gives Wendy a wink when they are at the door.

 

“Sure. Goodnight~” Wendy waves and flashes her bright smile.

 

 

 

After bathing and unpacking her stuff, Wendy goes to see her grandpa again.

 

 

“Do you feel better ?” Wendy sits by his side and hold his hand.

 

“I’d feel better when I can end this misery.” The old man jokes a little.

 

“Grandpa….. What is it ?” She goes directly to where they’ve left off earlier.

 

“Go to my desk and open the second bottom drawer. Take the envelope inside.” He commands.

 

 

Wendy follows his instructions and finds a yellow thick envelope.

 

She returns to her seat and hands it to him.

 

 

“No …… It’s for you. It’s a part of my will there. Open it and read it.”

 

The girl frowns as she withdraws the piece of paper and starts to read.

 

The old man closes his eyes and speaks.

 

“My dear, Seunghwan ……… You are the second most people I love in my life. Your grandma died years ago. Your father and mother have their own business running and I don’t have worry about them………”

 

“Grandpa !!!!! Are you sure about this……. I can’t …….” Wendy can feel her hand shaking so intensively since the paper gets crumpled a bit.

 

 

“I saw your potential when you were small. You’re smart like your father. But you’re so pure and bright …….. And you love to sing. So I didn’t make you my successor. I don’t wanna see such an angel polluted by the filthy business circles. I like the way you are………”

 

“And then I passed “Contento”, my life-time business, to your father. I retired and took care of you.”

 

 

“Now all I can give you is my property and my remaining shares in Contento. Your father has agreed.”

 

 

“But I can’t ……… That’s a lot…..” Wendy doesn’t know she should be shocked or happy or sad or thrilled or surprised or worried.

 

Maybe all of them.

 

 

 

The old man opens his eagle eyes again and gazes at the dazed girl.

 

“Dear, I’ve promised to myself not getting you involved into the commercial world. But please, do this show for me, for the others …… so that we could put this fuss at rest.”

 

“So….. You want to me help dad at Contento until the news of your death fades out ?” The clever Wendy soon sums up her grandpa’s plan.

 

The old man weakly smiles.

 

“Always the smart girl, don’t you ? Don’t worry, it’s just a show. Your father’ll know what to do. You can get back to your girlfriend soon.” 

 

“You heard ?”

 

“Hey, my ears are still working fine. How I wish to see your girlfriend…….So, dear, could you sign it for me ?”  

 

“Me too…… I would. I’ll sign it and take it to dad tomorrow…… Here, see ? This is Irene.” Wendy shows him the same photo earlier.

 

“Thank you my dear. Oh…. She’s beautiful. Angelic like you…… Look at the smiles on your faces……. Now I can rest in peace.” The old man smiles.

 

“Anything for you. Goodnight.” Wendy places a kiss on the old man’s forehead before she leaves the room.

 

 

 

Wendy sits on her bed and makes a few calls to reassure Taeyeon, Seulgi and Joy.

 

Then, at last, she calls her girlfriend.

 

It’s 10pm. And it’s like 4am in Korea, Irene’s probably asleep.

 

 

Surprisingly, she picks it up quickly.

 

 

“Wendy ?” Irene’s sleepy voice travels into Wendy’s ears, into her heart.

 

“You’ve been waiting for my call ?”

 

“Yeah…… You said you’d call and you’ve never lied to me.” 

 

“Pabo~~ You can at least take a nap or something.” Wendy wishes she can pinch her cheek or wrap her arms around her tiny waist so badly.

 

“I’m….. I was……. I was holding my phone and I fell asleep on the sofa.” 

 

“God…. Do you have schedule tomorrow ?”

 

“Only at night. Luckily.”

 

“I’m sorry Irene-ah. I didn’t tell you there are 6 hours apart.”

 

“Never mind ~~ I’ll wait no matter what.” Irene is fully awake and heads to her now-purple bed.

 

“Awwww~~~~ ” Wendy hugs herself and dies internally for her girlfriend’s sweetness.

 

“Heheehee~~~ I’ve just learned to say more sweet words……” Irene is delight to see Jessica’s suggestion works.

 

“Hey …… ” Wendy realizes there’re things she must tell Irene. 

 

 

But which one ?

 

it.

 

 

“I talked to my grandfather…… H-he asked me to fake as succeeding his company. Since my father didn’t take over all of his business beforehand. It would cause such a chaos when he….. p-passes away, if I don’t do so. I think my assumption is right, one month. I will return in one month.”

 

 

Irene doesn’t speak for minutes. 

 

It’s not about how long she has to wait (and she’s already known that).

 

It’s about Wendy’s family background. 

 

 

So her family must be wealthy. 

 

What if they force her to marry some other guy in the future like those soap operas ?

 

I’d never realize these before.

 

 

Wendy is getting extremely worried on the other side and breaks the silence.

 

“I did not tell you anything about my family because they don’t want to get me involved. So it doesn’t matter to me anyway. And I didn’t have the chance or time to tell you either. Taeyeon-unnie only knows a bit but not all.”

 

“And…… I’ve come out to them when I was 14, so……. Hmm… And I-I told them about you too. Don’t worry. They like you so far.”

 

 

Irene is relieved since Wendy is able to read her mind even when she can’t see her.

 

“I understand….. I’m happy that they accept me.”

 

Wendy is far more than relieved to hear Irene’s voice again.

 

“And there’s one more thing………..”

 

 

Screw this, she has to know this more than the part about my grandfather.

 

 

Irene is literally panicking. 

 

 

So there’s more ? What could be worse ?

 

 

“My mom…… …. It was all my fault. I didn't told her that I’ve got a girlfriend in our last phone call……. And she’s been searching for girls since I broke up with my ex, a.k.a my first girlfriend. She’s been trying to hook me up with another Korean girl since she moved here to Canada last year.”

 

“Your mom is desperate.” Irene coldly replies. 

 

You can tell she’s not pleased.

 

Of course, Wendy can picture Irene’s poker face on the other side of the phone.

 

 

“Irene-ah~~~ You know how much I love you and I told them so. I think my mom is planning to meet her tomorrow. If you say one word, I can call it off.” Wendy is trying her best to comfort her girlfriend.

 

Irene sighs before she answers.

 

“I should trust you, Wendy-ah.” Jessica said relationships are all about trust. 

 

“What ? I mean ……… Although my mom didn’t state it obviously to that girl, shouldn’t I stay away from things like this ??? To avoid misunderstanding or something ??” Wendy is caught off guard with Irene’s reply.

 

“Go ahead and make friends. I can’t ask you to avoid contacts with every girl in Canada, right ?” 

 

“I-I…… So, I’ll let her know about you as soon as we meet, okay ?”

 

“Good.” Irene giggles. 

 

Since she really has the nicest girlfriend on earth, always thinks of her first.

 

 

“Irene-ah.”

 

“Huh ?”

 

“I’m glad to see my family again and return to the house where I’ve stayed in since I was born. But, it doesn’t feel like home without you.” Wendy feels like she has left her heart behind, in Korea. All the time. 

 

“Pabo.” Irene sweetly teases. She’s grinning ear to ear.

 

“Didn’t I get you an Olaf doll ?” Wendy playfully asks.

 

“So what ? It’s beside me now.” Irene says as she punches the silly smiling snowman.

 

“Cuddle it to sleep, as if it’s me.”

 

“Argh……..It feels nothing like you.” Irene tries and the result is not satisfying.

 

“Poor me..… There ain’t any cabbage plushie for me~~~” 

 

“PABO !!!!!! My Korean name might sound like cabbage but I don’t look like a cabbage, okay ??????” Irene kicks the Olaf doll.

 

“Arasoooooo~~ I’ll sing you a song then ~~~~ ” 

 

“Yes, please.” Irene prepares her sleeping position and with Olaf in her hands.

 

“Wait.” Wendy puts down the phone and grabs her guitar on the corner of her room.

 

 

She puts her phone on her side, clears and begins.

 

 

 

“I haven't changed since our last meet,
I'm still getting all my meals for free,
Think I'm being shunned by my feet again.


And I'm not looking for some loose change,
Just wanna find a true mate,
Who wants to be my duvet.

 

It's not a homeless life for me,
It's just I'm home, less than I'd like to be…..”

 

 

 

Then she stops when she hears a yawn coming from the other side.

 

She puts down her guitar and picks up the phone again.

 

 

“Pabo, Bae Joohyun ~~~”

 

“Yes ?” Irene rubs her eyes. She almost falls asleep listening to her girlfriend’s heavenly singing.

 

“I love you and dream of me.” Wendy says so warmly and gently as if she is going to melt someone with that.

 

“I always do. I love you too.” Irene is melted and hugs the Olaf doll so tightly.

 

 

 

 

They soon fall asleep after hanging out. So soundly.

 

Probably dreaming of each other.

 

 

 

 

First day apart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Your author-nim is back !!!!!!!!! *group hug*

More of Wendy background have been revealed ~~~~

I love how you guys are so INTO this little fanfic of mine ^^

Don't worry, I'll still have surprises ;D

1. And if you're wondering, Sera is the former member of NineMuses, and Moon Hyuna is still in the group *wink*

2. So what's the girl that Wendy's mom mentioned ?????? heheheheeeehe

3. If you didn't notice, Wendy has admitted to her mom that she once had a crush on Taeyeon lol

I shall come back soon ~~

xo