12. Everything Has Changed

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

Jessica is woke up by a call. It is 7:30. And her alarm is set in 10:00.

 

 

The ice princess is annoyed. And she picks up the phone from her nightstand, without opening her eyes.

 

 

 

“Who’s that ?” A deathly icy voice.

 

 

“It’s me.” A gentle-as-hell voice.

 

 

 

“Taeyeon ?” Jessica immediately opens her sleepy eyes.

 

 

“Morning call ~ ” You can hear Taeyeon’s tittering on the other side.

 

 

“Why so early ?”

 

 

“I thought you have to work on Sundays ~” Taeyeon shows her long-lost dorky tone.

 

 

“Are you kidding me ? I work on Sundays ???? No bull. If you give a choice, I won’t even work on weekdays……. And I mean why are you so early ?” Jessica is fully awake now.

 

 

 

“Our famous designer Jessica Jung doesn’t need to work on Sundays. But I have to. We don’t have regular office working hours. I’m already in my studio.”

 

 

“Then why calling me ?” 

 

 

“Oh my new friend, I am all alone in my freaking studio.”

 

 

“Where’s Wendy ?”

 

 

“Come on ~ She’s leaving in 2 days. I have my conscience. I let her go on a date with Irene.”

 

 

“How nice of you ……. ” Jessica mocks as Taeyeon has the conscience to letting Wendy have her day-off but calling her so early in the morning.

 

 

“Hmm ~ So go back to sleep now. Sleepy head.” Taeyeon has achieved her goal of hearing Jess’s voice and hangs up quickly before anything goes wrong.

 

 

 

The very first voice you heard in the morning. Very well played, Taeyeon. Jessica doesn’t notice she’s actually smiling after the phone call. Taeyeon is different. Some of her remains. She is trying.

 

 

 

She goes back to sleep while a song keep replaying in her head.

 

 

When this duet comes out two years ago, she had thought of singing it with Taeyeon, playing guitars and stuff. She thought it was a crazy idea back then. 

 

 

But it seems quite possible now.

 

 

 

“All I knew this morning when I woke,

Is I know something now, 

Know something now I didn't before.

 

And all I've seen,

Since eighteen hours ago is,

Green eyes and freckles,

And your smile in the back of my mind making me feel right.

I just want to know you better,

Know you better know you better now……”

 

 

(“Everything has changed” - Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran)

 

 

 

Irene has several schedules today. 

 

 

It doesn’t matter, she’s got a personal assistant.

 

 

 

“Wendy-ah. Thanks to our unnies, you’re finally my girlfriend ~ ” Irene speaks in a low murmur as the couple is in Irene’s manager’s car.

 

 

“Taeyeon-unnie, Jessica-unnie and Tiffany-unnie, who gives me this job for these 2 days. We own them a huge flavor. So we gonna make it right.” Wendy, who is sitting next to her girlfriend, also whispers and winks.

 

 

 

“Oh come on. I wanna listen too ~ ” Choi Sooyoung, Irene’s manager, whines at the driver’s seat. “I already know about you two so no need to hide, kids.”

 

 

“Unnie ~ Pay attention to your driving. I don’t wanna die today .” Irene resumes her poker-face to her dear manager.

 

 

 

“Girl, don’t you worry. I’m famous of my safe and “efficient” driving in the manager circle.”

 

 

“Efficient means fast ?” Irene scoffs.

 

 

“Hey, do you have to be that protective when your girlfriend’s around ? By the way, where and how did you get such a nice cute girlfriend ? I wanna get one too ~ ” 

 

 

Wendy can’t refrain from laughing and Irene gives her arm a slap.

 

 

 

“Don’t encourage her. And you, get you own girlfriend somewhere else.”

 

 

“Hey, seriously, how to pursue a girl you like ?” Sooyoung is extremely curious.

 

 

“Be yourself and cater what she needs ?” Wendy finally speaks up.

 

 

“So you’re the one who do the pursuing thingy. Good choice, Wendy ~ ” Sooyoung is contented that she got something out from their mouths.

 

 

 

“I know.” Wendy grins and scratches her head.

 

 

“You got a girl you like ?” Irene figures something out from her manger’s words.

 

 

“Kinda ……. She is hard to approach though. Always busy and always home.” 

 

 

“I thought Irene is hard enough to approach……..” Wendy jokes a bit.

 

 

 

“You want your girlfriend to be VERY APPROACHABLE ?” Irene shoots a shivering glare to Wendy and the latter one immediately hugs her for apology.

 

 

“I like you, kid.” Sooyoung is happy that someone can “counterbalance” Irene. 

 

 

  

They arrives at another TV station where Irene has to attend a music show and reality show.

 

 

Irene is sent to get changed while Wendy and Sooyoung is waiting at the waiting room.

 

 

 

“I heard some of your things from Irene. I think she really likes you.” Sooyoung is eating snacks as she speaks.

 

 

“Me too.” Wendy is sitting on a sofa and texting.

 

 

“It’s hard for idols to date, not to mention a rookie. But you two are girls and you’re from a photography studio …… So I think it’s gonna be alright. Tiffany also thinks highly of you guys. I’ll try my best to help.”

 

 

“Thanks unnie. I feel blessed to have so many people helping and blessing us. I’ll do my best too.”

 

 

 

“Then why and who are you texting ?”

 

 

“My boss. From the photography studio. She gave me a break so that I could spend more time with Irene before I leave for Canada. I have to check if she’s still alive, handling all the work.” 

 

 

“Oh I see. It’s Taeyeon, right ? She’s very charming too. Love triangle ~ ” 

 

 

“You heard ?” Wendy is surprised that Sooyoung knows about the three unnies.

 

 

 

“I was once Tiffany’s manager and I sensed she might have a love interest in Taeyeon. And yesterday when she called to talk about giving you a title for these 2 days, she mentioned Taeyeon seems to like someone else.”

 

 

“Complicated.” Wendy sighs and notices that Soooyung indeed doesn’t know that much. Things are so much complicated that she knows.

 

 

 

“I wish you two all the best and not to be that “tangled up”.” Sooyoung puts another cookie in . 

 

 

“Thanks unnie. So how could I repay you ? Some tips ?” 

 

 

“Really ? I’ll tell you some more when you’re back.” Sooyoung is so grateful that she’s willing to share some of her snacks with Wendy.

 

 

“You have my words.” Wendy smiles and gets herself a cookie.

 

 

 

Sooyoung has never seen Irene working so energetically. It must be her girlfriend. Look at them, so cute !!!!!! I wanna get a girlfriend too ~

 

 

Wendy is playing her role of a girlfriend and a personal assistant very well. So well that Sooyoung nearly doesn’t have to work.

 

 

 

It’s soon evening and Irene’s job is mostly done for today. Her last schedule is a radio broadcast hosted by the hottest DJ in South Korea - Luna Park.

 

 

Irene is up to work and Wendy sneaks away for her surprise.

 

 

 

“Drive her to the beach when it ends.” Wendy looks at Irene who is already with Luna.

 

 

“Got it.” Sooyoung makes an “okay” sign and gestures her to leave.

 

 

 

Luna is a kind and fun-loving person. Irene eases down and feels more comfortable as the show goes on.

 

 

 

“So Irene-xi, you only debuted two days ago and you have already won many male and even female fans’ hearts.” 

 

 

“I’m really thankful to all the people who have worked with me. I still lack a lot and you give me a chance and help me shine. Special thanks to my agency SM, Tiffany-sunbaenim, my designer Jung Jessica-unnie, my photographer Kim Taeyeon-unnie and her team, my manager Sooyoung-unnie……..”

 

 

Wendy-ah, you know it even though I don’t say it, right ? ‘Cause I can’t say it now.

 

 

 

“Hmmm…. Irene-xi, what a polite rookie ! I saw your performance and I must say you’re a talent !!!! I’m already a fan. Can you tell us more about yourself ? Like, you must enjoy listening to songs as an artist. What songs do you like ?”

 

 

“I listen to all types of songs …. lately I’ve been listening to Ed Sheeran a lot. I like guitar but I can’t play it ….  so I like those type of songs.” 

 

 

“Oh Ed Sheeran, a British singer-songwriter….. Any recommendations for us ?”

 

 

“Tenerife Sea ? That’s a calming song, which has a nice guitar melody.” Irene professionally answers.

 

 

 

But the reason I love this song is because you sang it to me once, you sang it for me. Wendy-ah, are you listening ?

 

 

 

Wendy is indeed really listening to the radio while she is driving Taeyeon’s Land Rover. Taeyeon doesn’t need it ‘cause she’s already home playing with Ginger. Wendy is more than touched hearing Irene’s words.

 

 

Pabo. Then I’ll be the one saying I love you all the time.

 

 

 

“That’s a good song. So how about your ideal type ? Wow ~ many boys and men are curious about this. Audience 765840XX asks, would you prefer flower boys or sunshine muscular boys ? Audience RV2014 asks would you like to date artists or non-artists ? Audience IRENEILU asks what are the most important criteria for your ideal type ?”

 

 

“That’s a lot of questions.” Irene sweetly smiles. “Let me make it simple.”

 

 

 

“Aww~ Always the “chic" one, Irene-xi. Go ahead.”

 

 

“I like the ones read my eyes, know my good and bad, understand my smiles and tears, guide me, stay with me, care for me ….. Not only love me because I am an idol or buying me good stuff. Anything else is not important for me.”

 

 

I’m talking about you, pabo. Don’t you know ?

 

 

 

Wendy is almost at the beach and smiles like a child having her new toy.  It’s me ! Why don’t you say it when you’re with me ? Never mind, I’ve already known. I read it from your eyes.

 

 

 

“Irene-xi, it seems that you’re wise and experienced in love, don’t you ? And you’re beautiful too, you must have many pursuers…..”

 

 

“Not really….. I am not good at expressing my feelings and quite shy. So people often think I am cold. I think I have scared off many. And I only learn it from my unnies …. I haven’t dated much since I was a trainee when I was very young.”

 

 

 

“I see. But Irene-xi, don’t worry. We still love you very much !!! Audience WDSSH94 says, I love you no matter what !!!!!! And audience 3495786XX says, just be yourself and we love you the way you are.  So move on …. What are your hobbies ? Go outdoors or do something quiet ?”

 

 

“A little bit of everything ? ” Irene cutely giggles. “I like playing piano and dancing. Some of you might know from my profile. Also, I like the sea and the sky very much. I like going outdoors and enjoy the scenery quietly.”

 

 

 

“Nice sense of humor, Irene-xi !!! We have discovered more of your charms as you’ve talked more. But sadly, Irene-xi has to leave us now. Do you have anything to say to our audience ?”

 

 

“Hmmmm…. First, I wanna thank you Luna-xi, for making me feel all comfortable and not that nervous in my very first radio broadcast. Second, I hope to be on this show again since it was so much fun. Lastly, I’ll work hard and be a better Irene for you all.”

 

 

And a better Bae Joohyun for you too, Seunghwan.

 

 

 

“Thank you for being here too, Irene-xi. I’ll invite you again in the future. So Irene-xi fighting !!! And goodbye ~ ”

 

 

 

Irene happily bids goodbye to Luna but she is greeted by only Sooyoung at the outside.

 

 

Sooyoung spots the obvious change of expressions and teases.

 

 

 

“You don’t wanna see me ? Your dearest manager ?”

 

 

“Where’s she ?” Irene, looking like a lost child, pouts and asks.

 

 

 

She doesn’t even bother to fight Sooyoung, she just wants to see her Canadian girlfriend.

 

 

 

“Get in the car. I’m taking you to her.” 

 

 

“Where’s she ?” Irene is frustrated. She just wants to have a little cuddling time with her girlfriend after work.

 

 

 

She throws herself into the backseat of the car.

 

 

 

“Easy, girl. Don’t hurt yourself. She’s waiting for you. It won’t be a long ride.” Sooyoung witnesses Irene’s childish act and laughs internally.

 

 

Irene just keeps whining while Sooyoung is driving to the beach.

 

 

 

“Shut up. If you wanna live.”

 

 

“I want Wendy ~~”

 

 

“Gosh. Grow up man. Why does it feel like I’m trafficking little girls ?” 

 

 

“Wendy-ah ~ Where’re you ~~~?

 

 

“Why did I agree to help your girlfriend in the first place ?”

 

 

 

After 20 minutes of agony-driving and mental torture for Sooyoung, she kicks the non-stop whining girl out of the car.

 

 

“I’m so asking for more tips when Wendy comes back.” She makes a mental note for herself before driving away.

 

 

 

Irene is dropped off at a beach, the same one they went to last time. But she can’t see anyone or anything there.

 

She in a pitch black, empty, silent beach. Only lit by street lights and echoed with sounds of waves. Eery.

 

 

 

What if Wendy is actually a ghost all the time ?

 

 

Then she must loves me so much……….

 

 

 

Irene is scared by her own weird thought. Just when she is about to freak out, she feels a buzz coming from her phone.

 

 

 

“Wendy-ah ? You’re alive ?” Irene answers with her trembling hands. Wait. Can ghosts make phone calls? 

 

 

“Pabo, look to your left. See the Land Rover parked there ? Walk to it and you shall find the next clue ~ ”

 

 

“W-aittttttt.” 

 

 

Wendy hangs up before Irene can react to all things happening around her.

 

 

 

So she is playing a game with me ? A surprise ?

 

 

So she is a living person, right ?

 

 

 

Irene sets her mind at rest and follows her girlfriend’s instructions.

 

 

There is a note sticked on the hood of the Land Rover.

 

 

It is Wendy’s hand-writing.

 

 

 

“Dear Cabbage,  

            

 

You know how much I love you, right ? 0v0  Too bad that I’ll be leaving about 30 hours later. T^T But before that, I still wanna do my best to be your good girlfriend. So I have a little “surprise” for you ~~~ Saranghae !!!!!! <3

  

 

From 

 

Your Olaf >3< 

 

 

p.s. go directly to where you love the most”

 

 

 

Irene then immediately runs to the sea, still holding the note in her hands. She doesn’t care if she’s super tired after all those schedules.

 

 

She just wanna see her Olaf, her girlfriend, her Wendy, her Seung-hwan.

 

 

 

In the middle of the sand, there is a small tent, with light inside.

 

 

 

She walks in.

 

 

There are two chairs - one with a camera on the top, one with another note.

 

 

 

“Play the video in the camera <3”

 

 

 

Irene presses “play”.

 

 

And she starts to cry.

 

 

 

It is a video of Wendy re-visiting all the places they have been to. There ain’t much - but she takes a selfie with a note written “Bae Joohyun I Love U <3” each place and her expressions are extremely cute. Taeyeon’s studio, Irene’s dorm, SM practice room and the concert hall, the fast food shop, this beach, the hotel roof, random streets …….

 

 

She did all these by herself ? Just for me ?

 

 

 

At the end, it’s Wendy talking. You can hear Ginger barking at the back.

 

 

“Hey pabo ~ I planed to make this my confession video but it seems you got it ahead of me hehehehe Never mind, I just want to tell you I love you Irene….. I love you Bae Joohyun, I love you my cabbage. No matter what happens, I’ll be with you whenever you need me, or when you doesn’t need me anymore. I know you aren’t good at words, I know you’re shy. So just so you know. I will do the talking. Saranghae ~ Take a selfie with the sea like I did and you’ll find the final clue.”

 

 

 

Irene wipes her tears and foolishly smiles.  It seems that she has chosen the right person, like Sooyoung said.

 

 

She takes the selfie and checks the camera to see how it looks. There is an extra picture when she is scrolling.

 

 

It is taken somewhere in the beach, where there’s a swing.

 

 

 

She looks around and spots a similar landscape.

 

 

It is from the higher ground. No wonder Wendy can see her earlier.

 

 

 

Irene swears she is running the fastest she could in her life yet it seems forever for her.

 

 

 

Finally.

 

 

 

Wendy is sitting on a swing. Swinging.

 

 

 

“You said you fell in love with me at this beach, right ?” Wendy stands up and takes Irene’s hands.

 

 

Irene can only nod. 

 

 

“I think I fell in love with you when you hugged me that morning. No one had ever held me like that ….  Or maybe at the first night I looked into your eyes when we had our little talk. Since then, I have tried everything to make you smile, to comfort you, to protect you. I can feel we are connected. I think I have found my “special one”……….”

 

 

 

“ 'Cause all I know is we said hello,

And your eyes look like coming home,

All I know is a simple name,

And everything has changed.”

 

 

 

“This swing ….. is made by Taeyeon-unnie. She used to bring Jessica-unnie here ‘cause Jessica-unnie wanted to watch the sea but it was too hot to stay down there. Later, she made a swing so that they could enjoy their time here ……  This is also where Taeyeon-unnie told her to leave……

 

 

You can’t sing a song and draw a portrait for me. I can’t make you a swing either. But I’m sure we still love each other like they do. Look how powerful love is …… I listened to your radio program. You don’t have to say anything, just leave it to me. I will tell you I love you everyday and I just have to read your answers from your eyes. I know you love me too. You have already showed it without saying ... 

 

 

I am so lucky to have you as my girlfriend.”

 

 

 

Wendy finished her words with tears in her eyes but she manages to hold them from falling. Instead, she flashes a bright smile to her girlfriend.

 

 

‘Cause Irene is already crying and hyperventilating on the other side.

 

 

 

“Pabo, pabo, pabo……..” Irene mumbles as Wendy scoots to hug her.

 

 

“Yes, yes, yes, I am here.” Wendy replies her calling, one by one.

 

 

 

“You have done so much for me…….. And I can’t do anything. I can’t even say I love you in front of the others…….” Irene grasps Wendy’s clothes so hard as if she’s flying away the next second.

 

 

“It’s okay. I’m making up for you since I won’t be by your side for at least a month. So I took all of those photos …. And I made you took one too, as our memories.” Wendy gently pats the older girl’s back.

 

 

“I knew it was you sending that message to the radio show …… I hope one day I can be open and aboveboard about our love. I’ll be missing you everyday when you’re away. Please come back and don’t leave me alone again.” Irene sobs in her girlfriend’s soft arms.

 

 

 

“All I know is you held the door,

You'll be mine and I'll be yours,

All I know since yesterday is,

Everything has changed.”

 

 

 

“And thank you for coming into my life……  or thanks for letting me into your life.” Irene looks up and pecks the younger girl’s cheek.

 

 

“Me too. Why don’t we go back to that tent ? It has chairs and it’s warmer there.”

 

 

“Let’s take more pictures of us.”

 

 

“Anything you like.”

 

 

 

“Come back and tell me why,

I'm feeling like I've missed you all this time.

And meet me there tonight,

And let me know that it's not,

All in my mind……..

 

All I know is a newfound brightness,

All my days I'll know your face,

All I know since yesterday is,

Everything has changed………..”

 

 

 

Love is powerful. It changes people.

 

 

Love doesn’t change, it is only people that change.