31. Even My Dad Does Sometimes

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

Sooyoung woke up the next day.

 

 

And it had been three days more until it’s Irene’s turn to wake up.

 

No one is by her side since it is lunch hour.

 

 

 

Irene slowly carefully moves her fingertips, her hands, then her arms. And opens her eyes.

 

 

 

 

It is pitch black.

 

 

 

 

Wendy magically appears before she freaks out.

 

 

 

And it’s Wendy’s turn to freak out.

 

 

 

“Irene !!! You are awake !!!!!”

 

 

 

 

And Irene’s answer hits her harder.

 

 

 

 

“Wendy-ah, where am I ?”

 

 

 

 

It is because she cannot remember about the accident. 

 

She cannot see anything.

 

She cannot see Wendy silently sobbing.

 

 

 

Wendy cries because her girlfriend cannot see.

 

Because her girlfriend cannot remember what happened to her but she clearly remembers her.

 

 

 

 

Irene is later fully acknowledged of her condition when the doctor comes for a check-up.

 

 

Temporary blindness due to blood stasis near the visual area of her brain. 

 

 

 

She does not shed a single tear. 

 

She is just relieved that her manager is fine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy is now reading Irene a book.

 

“The Notebook”. 

 

Irene’s favorite movie, originally is a novel by Nicholas Sparks.

 

 

 

“Noah reads to Allie……. The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds, and that's what you've given me. That's what I hope to give to you forever. I love you. I'll be seeing you.”

 

“Well, I am reading this to you too.” Wendy chuckles, with one hand holding Irene’s, the other holding the book.

 

 

 

“Yeah, I am seeing you too.” Irene gives a gentle squeeze of Wendy’s hand.

 

“You’ll be fine.”

 

“I ain’t mad. I accept it.”

 

“How can you be so strong ?” 

 

“What else can I do ? It’s okay since I bet I’ll have an excellent hearing after that. Sharp ears.” Irene giggles.

 

“Irene-ah, I’ll be here for you. Anytime.” 

 

 

 

“Hey, do you know what does Allie say to Noah, who is actually Duke, when she remembers everything ? She writes it on the notebook, Read this to me and I’ll come back to you.”

 

“You are reading to me and I am coming back to you, soon.” Irene smiles.

 

 

 

“Allie has dementia so she could not remember anything, including Noah. Do you know how scared I was when I heard you might suffer from memory loss or blindness ? What am I gonna do if you don’t know me anymore ? Should I stay or should I go ?”

 

“And you ….. You called out my name when you….” Wendy feels a lump in .

 

 

 

“I did have some pieces flashing in my head and I am gradually getting them together. But slowly……  You will be the last one I forgot. I’m sure of it. Right now, I am seeing your face worriedly looking at me with you furrowed eyebrows, and puckered lips.” Irene reaches out her hand.

 

 

“How do you know ?” Wendy laughs. 

 

She takes her hand and guides it to her face.

 

 

 

“I can’t literally see. But you are here, and here.” Irene points at her head and heart with her free hand.

 

 

While her other starts tracing her Olaf’s facial features, inch by inch. 

 

 

 

Her index finger roaming through her eyebrow, cheekbone, nose bridge ……. And her thumb on her lips.

 

 

 

“How does it feel ? Squishy ?” Wendy jokes ‘cause her eyes water a bit.

 

 

“Yeah….” Irene nips her cheek. “Hey, don’t stop reading. I wanna hear the best part.”

 

 

“Okay….  Best part…..  So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me……. everyday.” 

 

 

“I don’t mean this part.” 

 

“It’s the best part for me, Bae Joohyun. I am working at this with you, everyday. I want every bit of you, forever.”

 

 

 

“My dad told you something, didn’t he ?” Irene touches Wendy’s hand.

 

“He told me I should go and find someone else. Our love is already a burden and…….”

 

 

“Why don’t you listen to him ?” Irene bites her lips.

 

“I stay in this country for you. And why would I leave when you need me the most ?” 

 

“I am blind now.”

 

Now. Even it’s not, I will be your eyes. Doesn’t Duke say, Wherever she is, that's where my home is ?” Wendy puts down the book.

 

 

 

“You recited the whole book ?” Irene sweetly smiles.

 

“I read it again and again after you mentioned your favorite movie is “The Notebook”. And I like books more. They have nice lines though.”

 

 

“Nice. Do you know what is the best part for me, Shon Seunghwan ?”

 

“Tell me. You must have recited it also.”

 

 

 

“It’s from Duke and Noah. He says it twice…….I am nothing special — just a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who's ever lived — I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.

 

“I am just an ordinary singer and no one will remember my name 20 years later. Up to now, my biggest accomplishment in my life is to love you. If you leave me, I will hate you to death and haunt you as a ghost.” 

 

 

 

“You know I won’t.”

 

 

 

Irene feels something cold wets the back of her hand.

 

 

“You cry ?” 

 

 

“I am sorry…” Wendy wipes it with her sleeves.

 

 

“Pabo, why ?” Irene blinks.

 

 

“I think I’ll die if I leave you.” 

 

“Then we’ll just be Allie and Duke — die together on the same bed.” Irene giggles.

 

 

“You really like this, don’t you ?” 

 

“Yes. It gets me every time. It speaks to me. Now I know as I’ve met my Noah… Or Duke if you like.”

 

“I prefer Noah since Ryan Gosling is more… appealing.” Wendy cracks a smile.

 

“I figured.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene’s parents come.

 

 

They do a little chatting.

 

 

They are surprised to see their daughter being so positive.

 

Maybe it’s because of someone. 

 

 

 

Taeyeon, Jessica, Seulgi and Joy also drop by when Irene is eating her dinner.

 

Being fed by her Olaf, to be exact.

 

 

“So how’s Sooyoung ?” Irene starts off the conversation.

 

“She’s alright. Broke a few bones. Can’t move or walk at least half a year.” Jessica answers. “We just checked on her a minute ago. She still eats a lot and talks a lot.”

 

 

“Be nice to her, Sica-ah. She’s a patient.” Taeyeon folds her arms.

 

“I am worried about my Irene more.” Jessica rolls her eyes.

 

 

“Don’t roll your eyes unnie. I’m not yours either.” Irene gulps down a spoon of rice.

 

 

“How did you know ?” Jessica lol-s.

 

 

“I told you. She can see from her mind. She’s mine by the way.” Wendy shrugs.

 

“I thought it’s because she rolled too hard so that Irene can hear.” Taeyeon teases.

 

 

“Sooyoung-unnie worries about you too.” Seulgi brings them back to the main topic.

 

“She even blames herself knowing you….. That you can’t see now.” Joy pouts.

 

 

“They got her first….…” Irene suddenly recalls.

 

“She is a good manager, a good person.” Wendy adds.

 

 

“It was so fast. I couldn’t react.” Irene continues.

 

“Did you see her face ? I mean…. That woman is on the run.” Jessica asks jumpily.

 

“It’s a girl.” Irene stops her chewing.

 

“You remember ?” Joy exclaims.

 

 

“I caught a glimpse of her when she pushed me.”

 

“I’ll get her.” Wendy mutters in a deep low voice.

 

“Isn’t it the Police’s job ?” Seulgi questions.

 

“I will try every method. Don’t worry, your fans are hunting any suspects down… The whole country. It’s all on the news.” Wendy frowns a bit.

 

“I just wanna know why.” Irene sighs.

 

“Any reason cannot justify this. They tried to kill you two.” Jessica seems angry and edgy.

 

“Leave it to the Police. We have to take care of these two now.” Taeyeon softly sums up.

 

 

“I am trying my best.” Wendy says as she is feeding Irene a slice of meat.

 

“I can tell.” Seulgi titters.

 

“Wendy unnie, Irene unnie fighting !!” Joy pats Wendy’s shoulder.

 

 

“Just tell us if you need anything. We’ll be there too.” Taeyeon looks at the couple.

 

“Get well soon.” Jessica takes Irene’s hand and rubs it darlingly. “And Wendy-ah, I trust you.”

 

“Thanks unnie.” Irene curves her lips into a smile.

 

“I never disappoint.” Wendy does a salute to the ice princess.

 

 

 

 

 

The Police has also paid a visit to get Irene’s statement.

 

 

 

 

It’s late at night when Irene gets some more private time with her Olaf.

 

 

Although it is quite tiring as it’s her first day without her vision, she feels safe and assured with her girlfriend around.

 

 

 

“How’s it ?” Wendy carefully asks while she is tucking Irene to bed.

 

 

“Weird.”

 

 

“Anything else ? Like anywhere hurt or…..” 

 

“I’m fine.”

 

“You’re not.” Wendy frowns again.

 

“Hey, I’m still breathing.”

 

“You have to learn everything once again.” 

 

“You’re here, right ?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“Then I’m fine.” Irene snickers. 

 

 

“You are my weakness.” Wendy pokes Irene’s cheek.

 

 

“You’re mine too…..” Irene pouts a little. “Sing to me.”

 

 

“What song, ma’am ?”

 

“It’s up to you.”

 

 

“Well….. Let me think….. Oh, yeah.” Wendy clears .

 

 

 

“It's alright to cry,
Even my dad does sometimes.
So don't wipe your eyes,
Tears remind you you're alive.
It's alright to die,
'Cause death's the only thing you haven't tried.
But just for tonight hold on.”

 

 

 

Wendy — Irene-ah, it’s alright to cry. Let it out and I will share it with you. 

 

 

 

“It's alright to shake,
Even my hand does sometimes.
So inside the rage,
Against the dying of the light.
It's alright to say that death's the only thing you haven't tried,
But just for today hold on.

 

Live life like you're giving all,

'Cause you act like you are.

Go ahead and just live it up,

Go on and tear me apart,

And hold on.”

 

(“Even My Dad Does Sometimes” - Ed Sheeran)

 

 

 

 

“Irene-ah, I thought I was gonna faint when I heard the news.” Wendy caresses her cabbage’s face and wipes her tears with her thumb. “If anything happened to you, I thought I wasn’t going to live either.”

 

“I know I have to stay strong …. I don’t wanna make you worried.” Irene sobs.

 

 

“I cried outside the operation room. I though my tears had run dry but they still kept streaming. It was out of control. All I did is cry. The last time I cried like this is when my grandpa passed away. I know my dad cried too, I heard him. It’s a natural thing to do.”

 

 

 

Wendy goes up and hugs Irene, placing her head against her chest, embracing her.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry.” Irene mumbles within her sobs. 

 

“It’s not your fault. I’m your girlfriend, I’m sharing your pain and worries.”

 

 

 

Hearing the steady heartbeat of her girlfriend, Irene eases down.

 

 

 

“It’s time to sleep, my cabbage.”

 

“Goodnight.” Irene smiles and closes her eyes.

 

 

 

“I’ll be here when you opens your eyes again tomorrow.” Wendy places a kiss on her forehand, her eyelids and her lips.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am back !!!!! I update this first since I don't feel like keeping you guys hanging there.

 

No memory loss cuz I am a cool author lol 

It's just a foreshadowing for the story in "The Notebook". (It's good movie btw)

I'm not sure if the lines are from the book, but they are quotes from the movie.

 

And if you read carefully, you will find a hint from Irene's dad -- once he doesn't mention about the memory loss.

(He says : What of it's not ? What if she can't see for the rest of her life ?)

 

But drama won't end here. Real problems are coming ~~~

(ps Suzy and D.O will make their appearance again)

 

I hope you are satisfied with the developemt so far.

xo