39. If I Lose Myself

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

Irene just had a meeting with the management back at SM, as the report of her latest check-up is out. 

 

 

She is healthy, yet still not suitable for those hectic schedules.

 

 

They have decided it’d be better for her to do some preparation work first.

 

For instance, just some dance or vocal practice to get her back into the perfect state.

 

 

 

Irene is merrily getting back home to tell Wendy the news.

 

 

 

She doesn’t know how to react when she opens the freaking door.

 

 

Wendy is standing in the middle of the living room, facing her.

 

And holding a blondish girl in her arms whom is slightly taller.

 

 

 

“WHAT THE ?”

 

 

 

“You’re finally back.” Wendy quickly pushes the girl away and greets with a sign of relief.

 

 

 

Irene is totally ready to flip her but she is totally confused at the same time.

 

 

It’s not the girl she has been worrying about.

 

 

And why does Wendy sound rather relieved to see her back than panic ?

 

 

 

“Can somebody please explain what’ve happened in this house ?” Irene glares back and forth between her girlfriend and Uji.

 

 

“She had a major fight with her family while they are having a vacation here.” Wendy explains patiently, while handing another tissue paper to the still sobbing girl.

 

 

“I’m sorry…… I couldn’t contact my old friends so I called Wendy instead.” Uji mutters between her sobs.

 

 

 

Irene somehow is reserved. Very reserved.

 

She hasn’t let her guard down, and Wendy can see that. Very clearly.

 

 

 

“I don’t want to be rude but Uji …. I think Irene and me need to have some talk.”

 

 

“I see…. I’m okay now and I should go…… Thanks a lot.” Uji hangs her head low and hurries out from the house.

 

 

 

 

Irene speaks again after she watches the door shut with a loud bang.

 

“Now talk.”

 

 

 

“You can go first.” Wendy pours a glass of warm water for Irene and plants herself on the couch.

 

 

 

“If the story checked out, what’s up with the hug ?” Irene can’t suppress her emotions well  when it comes to jealousy.

 

She always feels a strong possessiveness towards the young Canadian even before they dated, which also means soon after they got to know each other.

 

She remembers that time how much she hated those trainees eyeing her up when she brought her to join the evaluation thingy, and all she could think of was to hold her hand and hide her so she could keep her for herself.

 

 

 

“She is my friend. She is crying non-stop. I was merely comforting her. You’d have done so if it was Jessica-unnie.” Wendy sincerely looks up to her girlfriend who remains standing few steps away.

 

 

“She came up to our house when I wasn’t around and what I saw was you two hugging. So convince me.” Irene slightly shakes her head and frowns.

 

 

“Well, if she lied, she must be one hell of a good actress. I was hoping you would be here all along, honestly. I didn’t know how to handle like this.” Wendy sighs and hands Irene the already-cold glass of water.

 

 

Irene takes a sip and continues, “If I didn’t come home, then what ? You two hugging until the end of time ? And….. I hate to sound like a , but I don’t really believe someone like her can only reach you in Seoul.”

 

 

 

“I don’t know……” Wendy is frustrated and hugs her knees. “So Irene-ah, did I do wrong ?”

 

 

 

Irene stays silent.

 

She is not sure. 

 

She would prefer her girlfriend giving a cold shoulder to her friends, but it would be so damn cruel and she needs to put herself into her Olaf’s shoes too.

 

And although they are now sort of bickering, Wendy’s voice is still as warm as usual. 

 

 

 

“So Irene-ah, what about you ?” Wendy waits a few seconds and carries on without looking at the older girl.

 

 

Irene is caught off guard, “What about me ?”

 

 

 

“I said we need a talk, right ?” Wendy forces a chuckle from .

 

 

“Yeah….. What did I do ?” Irene hates to see her snowman calm like this, sitting at her spot all the time and doesn’t bother to smoothen her furrowed eyebrows with her thumb like she used to.

 

 

 

“It’s your turn to explain.” Wendy hands Irene something again - her phone this time.

 

Irene carefully takes it and stares at the screen with open wide.

 

 

 

“How….. How did they take this ?” Her voice trembles uncontrollably.

 

 

“It didn’t look that pretty either.” Wendy is like mumbling to herself, just it’s loud enough for both of them to hear in this awkwardly quiet house.

 

 

“I didn’t mean to meet him at the park. I bumped into him when I was strolling there. We used to train together.” Irene recalls the details of yesterday when Wendy went to record her first Korean music show.

 

 

 

“So what’s his name ?” Wendy stands up and gets her phone back, “Let me read it again….. Oh, Taeyong. What a manly name.”

 

 

“Nothing really happened. It’s a park that we trainees like to go for fresh air. We chatted on that bench. That’s all.” Irene holds the younger girl’s shoulders with both of her hands.

 

 

“That’s what I’ve told you about me and Uji.” Wendy places her free hand on Irene’s arm. “What I wanna say is, I would want you to tell me earlier. Like I always come clean to you with Suzy first. It doesn’t feel good to know this from the news, since I didn’t even know this guy’s name as your girlfriend for almost a year.”

 

 

 

“I didn’t know I was followed …. It was just some friends catching up…..We were sitting on the bench, he didn’t even touch me.” Irene’s heart is finally back to where it belongs, feeling Wendy’s touch.

 

 

“I would have chopped off his hands if he did…….. At least you could have brought it up at  night.” The dejected snowman glances at her phone again. “It went pretty ugly on the news and the comments too.”

 

 

 

Irene bites her lips and throws her Olaf’s phone away in a swift move, “Then don’t look.” 

 

“How ? They are like in my face……”

 

 

Irene doesn’t answer and takes the sulking snowman in her arms instead.

 

 

“It hurts me too if someone hurts you.” The snowman slowly hugs her back.

 

“I’m sorry.” The Daegu girl whispers her words onto her girlfriend’s bare skin on her shoulder exposing from the over-sized grey T-shirt. 

 

 

“Me too. But I think we are both tired for now.” 

 

“What do you mean ?” Irene is horrified as she tries to interpret the words.

 

 

 

“Let’s just talk about this later.” Wendy smiles softly towards the other girl and reassures, “We can’t think straight as we are now apparently overwhelmed by what had happened. I don’t want to say the words I didn’t mean and up.”

 

 

“Alright.… I was craving for a bath too.” Irene lets go and smiles in return.

 

 

“I would be back by 4. Take your time, I know you must be tired. Don’t catch a cold if you turn on the air-con after your bath.” Wendy doesn’t forget to nag a bit before she leaves.

 

 

She still cares after all, Irene thinks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*In Chorong’s room*

 

 

Chorong sits on the edge of her bed, staring into space as she is trying to remember what have just happened.

 

 

 

After she opened her eyes this morning (nearly noon actually), all her housemates have already left for work or lectures. 

 

 

Not all indeed. When she stepped out from her room, the one opposite of hers is half closed.

 

It’s Naeun’s room.

 

 

She hesitated to knock or not, considering the situation they were in currently.

 

 

The door flung open not waiting for Chorong’s decision, and Naeun who had dark circles underneath her beautiful eyes and a pale face, appeared.

 

 

 

“G-good morning ?” Chorong was quick on her feet and took the initiative.

 

“Morning. Not good.” Naeun lifelessly replies as she was about to close the door shut.

 

 

Chorong stuck her feet in between and managed to save a small gap. 

 

 

“Ouch…. I thought you were waking up ?” She talked through the gap.

 

“No class today. And my days aren’t always as good as yours. So let me get some more sleep.” A voice echoed back.

 

 

“So Naeun-ah, do you want to have breakfast together, or we-” 

 

“No, no, no !!! Leave me alone and find Seulgi instead.” 

 

“But you seemed to have hangover from yesterday, you’ll be hungry a-”

 

“Stay away from me, Park Chorong. I don’t want to hear your freaking voice.” 

 

 

“Okay….”  Chorong pouted as she headed back to her little room.

 

 

 

Chorong is thinking maybe Wendy and Krystal are right.

 

Naeun does have something for her.

 

 

But what exactly could she do to finish things off - to break it down to Naeun and confess ?

 

Since she didn’t expect that girl to be pissed like this.

 

 

If she calls Seulgi for help, she is worried that Naeun would lose her and Joy would murder her own .

 

 

No, she doesn’t want anybody’s help anymore. 

 

It’s because it’s her own girlfriend to get.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*On Wendy’s side*

 

 

Wendy doesn’t know where she is going.

 

She just keeps driving as she is thinking.

 

 

She stumbles upon a familiar-looking diner and orders a cup of coffee.

 

Normally, at times like this, she would choose booze but it’s too early for it and what she needs the most is a clear mind and stay sober.

 

 

She stares at the steamy double-shot and has a weird desire of adding some RedBull in.

 

She must have lost her mind.

 

‘Cause her heartbeat would become the newest Dubstep if she really drinks such thing.

 

 

Wendy concludes it is because she really wants to stay sharp, and, she has already lost her mind for falling in love.

 

People say, love is irrational. 

 

We do all sorts of crazy things for love.

 

 

She then starts to feel an ache piercing into her heart and head when she remembers seeing the news this morning.

 

She wasn’t prepared, not a single percent.

 

 

It was different from Kyungsoo.

 

It felt real.

 

It hit her for real.

 

 

The more she was wondering, the more annoyed she became.

 

How she informed every little details of Suzy to Irene, but Irene had never ever mentioned that close dude friend ? Not even after they met at the park ?

 

 

 

She hates to realize herself getting possessive.

 

 

She hates to know herself getting in a dilemma of trusting Uji and assuring Irene.

 

 

 

“I stared up at the sun,

Thought of all of the people and places,

And things I've loved.

 

I stared up just to see,

That all of the faces,

You were the one next to me.

 

You can feel the light start to tremble,

Washing what you know out to sea,

You can see your life out the window, tonight…"

 

 

 

Wendy unknowingly lets out a grumble when she hears the music blasting inside the diner.

 

It is a good song indeed. Too good.

 

 

 

“I didn’t expect you to be here.” A tap on her shoulder followed by a figure sitting down next to her.

 

 

“…” Wendy curses under her breath. “Me either.”

 

 

 

Suzy notices the seemingly not-so-nice mood of her friend and flashes an innocent grin, “If I remembered correctly, it was me to suggest we’d be meeting here last time. And you came back.”

 

 

 

Wendy is really not in the mood to listen and ignores.

 

 

 

“Hey, someone’s troubled.”

 

“Captain Obvious.”

 

 

“I’m all ears if you wanna talk.” Suzy chooses her words very cautiously. “Is it about your girlfriend ?”

 

 

Wendy turns to her friend and scoffs, “You don’t understand.”

 

 

 

“Make me.” 

 

 

 

“If I told you, I would have to kill you afterwards because I can’t take any risks.” Wendy mocks, at herself actually.

 

 

“If it makes you feel any better.” Suzy however answers in a stern tone, and laughs at herself too.

 

 

 

 

Wendy stares at the other girl for a long time, making the latter to feel a bit intimidated.

 

“You like me, don’t you ?”

 

 

 

 

It takes like forever for her to answer, “Yes.”

 

 

 

 

“Why ? When ?”

 

 

“I don’t know. Maybe years ago when I saw you strumming your guitar alone on the bleaches, that day right after you beat me at the singing contest. I know you’re someone different.”

 

 

“I thought you dislike me. Or at least you have a thing with those oppas.” 

 

 

“I was trying to know if I really liked you, or it was pure affection. ”

 

 

 

“Fair enough. I have some trouble with my girlfriend and you showed up. What now ?” Wendy looks dully at her emptied coffee cup.

 

 

“I didn’t know you are here. But as I am here now, I have to say - I don’t want to see you sad but I don’t want to see you happy with someone else either.”

 

 

 

“You could’ve say no when I asked. Why confessing your feelings to me now ?” Wendy presses her forehand onto her hands which are on the table.

 

 

“Just to let you know, you can have another option.” Suzy carelessly says as she looks away. “I don’t see the point of hiding if you asked.”

 

 

 

 

“You could choose someone better. Someone single. Someone who can treat you well and maybe marry you. Not me, not some random girl who is hopelessly and pathetically romantically stuck with another girl.” Wendy feels like her mind is getting a bit clearer, strangely.

 

 

“So you are saying, I have no chance.” 

 

 

“It’s actually good for you. I feel sorry for my girlfriend. Being together isn’t that easy. Everything gets super hard. It’s like we’re on a different level of difficulty with other couples in the world.”

 

 

“Anyway, I can’t give up even my mouth said so.”

 

 

“I know. Of course….. And Suzy,” Wendy calls the girl to look back at her. “Thank you. Someday I’ll let you know. I have to go home now.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Chorong’s side*

 

 

Chorong writes a note and puts it under the door of Naeun’s room.

 

 

One, she knows she isn’t good at talking.

 

Two, Naeun said she doesn’t want to hear her voice.

 

 

And she leaves the house quietly.

 

 

 

 

Hearing the door, Naeun covertly opens her bedroom door.

 

She picks up the note and is surprised to see it.

 

 

She thought she wouldn’t care about her anymore after Seulgi appeared and how she shouted at her few moments ago.

 

 

It is not a long message, but Naeun reads it again and again.

 

 

It is basically telling her that there are food in the fridge, pills on the dining table that would ease the hangover, and she won’t be home until late night that she had to go to a whatever music academy.

 

 

It confuses Naeun, that the Chorong she knows returned.

 

The Chorong thinks of her first for everything.

 

 

And if she is indeed going out with Seulgi, she doesn’t have to tell Naeun her whereabouts and whatsoever.

 

 

Nevertheless, Naeun says “ it” and she is going to wait for her to come back and question the out of her.

 

 

 

“I woke up with the sun,

Thought of all of the people, places and things I've loved.

 

I woke up just to see,

With all the faces,

you were the one next to me.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Back to Irene*

 

 

Irene has been staying home, waiting for her girlfriend to come back.

 

 

She took her bath and did nothing.

 

 

She just sat there and has been watching the hands of the clock on the wall drawing circle after circle.

 

 

 

 

She is thinking it’s her pride or jealousy that screwed things up.

 

Perhaps both.

 

 

She thinks she at relationships and she has to keep asking for people’s advice, especially Jessica’s.

 

Now Wendy has to suffer with her, just because she loves her.

 

 

 

And she recalls making a promise of loving her better at that night when Wendy was drunk.

 

 

She is also thinking where she is now.

 

What she is doing.

 

Is she with anyone ?

 

Who ?

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy is back early.

 

 

“Do you want something to eat ? I bought some food on my way back.” 

 

 

“I…. Hmm….. T-thanks.” Irene finds it hard to speak and swallows all her questions back.

 

 

 

“Is there something you wanna say ?” Wendy studies her expression before talking to this girl who is avoiding her gaze.

 

“Argh.. No…. Yes ?” She turns her back on the approaching Olaf. 

 

 

“I have.” Wendy walks up to Irene and bluntly says, “Suzy likes me.”

 

 

 

Irene throws all her thoughts away and turns back around, but ends up crashing with a Wendy who has her arms spread wide.

 

 

 

“Woah, hey…..  I have s too. It can’t stand much impact although it’s real.” Wendy jokes with her bright smile on.

 

 

“Sorry…… I thought you are breaking up with me….” Irene snuffles.

 

 

“Can’t you see I was already in open arms and going to surprise you with a back-hug ? Why the hell I would break up with you after all these ?” Wendy asks in disbelief.

 

 

 

“‘Cause you are probably tired of dealing with my and have Suzy now.” 

 

 

 

“Holy mother of Bae…. I just wanted to take a break from the little fight….. Not from you. I did so because I want this relationship to last and I want you. I care.” Wendy takes Irene’s hands who are busy wiping tears.

 

 

“Stop making fun of my surname, and she has the same surname too ……. I was so scared. I ed things up.” Irene pouts.

 

 

“Stop making those faces….. It’s too adorable for me to handle.” Wendy chuckles and processes on her original aim - hugs her girlfriend. “You know what, I found out how much I care and love you after I was away. I’m truly sorry.”

 

 

 

“You won’t even bother to argue with me if you don’t……. So don’t brush me off or act cold towards me ever again. I love your derp face, Son.” Irene has to admit, hugging so closely with her snowman simply feels the best.

 

It’s like she can’t be any safer.

 

It’s like she can hear their hearts beating in flawless unison.

 

 

 

“If I lose myself tonight,

It'll be by your side.

I lose myself tonight...

 

If I lose myself tonight,

It'll be you and I.

Lose myself tonight……..”

 

(“If I Lose Myself” - Madilyn Bailey & Corey Gray cover)

 

 

 

“Oh my gosh, you are like a kid.” Wendy pulls away a little and pecks the tip of her cabbage’s nose. “Are we good now ?”

 

“Not yet.” Irene cutely scrunches her nose. “I won’t stop worrying about your admirers…… And about Taeyo-”

 

 

“Shh….” Wendy presses her index finger on the pairs of not-so-plump-but-ing-kissable lips to silence the owner. “Don’t bring up his name unless you bump into him again. I’m home now, back to you….. So let’s focus on us only, okay ?”  

 

“Okay.” Irene cracks a sweet smile. 

 

 

 

The Canadian then breaks the hug and drags her bae to the dining table, “I bet you haven’t eaten anything yet. Now eat.”

 

 

 

Irene misses being pampered by her Olaf. 

 

She starts to enjoy the food but stops as she thinks of something, “Wait, I was going to tell you something when I was home this noon - I have to resume practicing ….Maybe I will have a comeback by the end of this year. So it can be some good news in a way.”

 

 

“If your body is fine with that, it’s cool.” Wendy nods and smirks, “I can’t wait promoting with you hehehee~~”

 

“I hope so too ~~~”

 

 

 

“And hey, Chorong has texted to ask for my help. So do you wanna lend me a hand ?”

 

“You know I’ll always say yes.”

 

 

 

They both know, they have already lost to each other in this game called love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I updated :) I think it's going to end in almost 10 chapters more lol it's a long damn story

Drop me some comments if you have any thoughts of how'll this go and how you think so far ;D

I don't always reply but I read every single one of them ^^

 

I love you all <3

Thanks for waiting patiently.

xo