16. Vanilla Twilight

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

Wendy revisits all the places she used to hang out in her former 16 years, with her new friend Uji as her tour guide.

 

Things did change a lot.

 

She bitterly smiles. She could even hardly recognize the street she walked to school.

 

Still, she herself is pretty much different now.

 

 

Wendy rests herself on a park bench and immerses herself in deep thought.

 

Uji knows the younger girl must have been going through a lot of things, so she leaves her alone and enjoys the maple-flavor breeze for a while.

 

 

Wendy knows better than anyone that she would keep changing as time goes by.

 

Since she will become the director of one of the powerful enterprises soon.

 

Sometimes it isn’t your choice to make in life. Taeyeon said.

 

 

But one thing surely will always stay the same — loving the ones she loves.

 

 

Thinking of that, she scoops out her phone from the pocket of her ripped jeans.

 

3 unseen messages.

 

One from Sera, one from Seulgi, and the final one from Irene.

 

 

Of course, our Olaf goes for the one from her dearest cabbage first.

 

 

“I’m perfectly fine, pabo ^^ Sorry I haven’t replied ’til now ‘cause I’ve been filming a commercial :P I miss you too

 

And she immediately hits the “dial” button.

 

 

This time it takes at least half a minute for the cabbage to pick it up.

 

 

“IRENE !!!!!!!!” 

 

“Hhahahaah~~ You don’t have to be so loud….. I’m home.” Irene giggles hearing her girlfriend’s desperate call.

 

“You’re home already…. I thought you’re still outside since it was some time ’til you answered.” Wendy pouts. 

 

“Hmm…. I was in the bathroom showering, so……” Irene tries to dry her hair with a towel as she speaks.

 

“Oh…. Did I interrupt you…..” Wendy’s face heats up imagining something.

 

“Pabo !!! I am wearing clothes right now ~~ ERT !” Irene notices the unusual tone of her Olaf’s voice and corrects her corrupt mind.

 

“hehehehe……Arg…. I-I got a surprise for you. You’ll see it later.” Wendy attempts to switch topic because Irene has read her mind.

 

“Really ? Maybe I should do something for you too…… It’s always you preparing things for me…” Irene feels a bit guilty having such a caring girlfriend.

 

“Not necessary. You just have to focus on your job and leave it to me, okay ?” Wendy, again, reassures her insecure cabbage.  

 

 

“By the way, have you met the girl ?” Irene is curious after all.

 

“She’s friendly. Don’t worry, she knows my girlfriend is you.” Wendy takes a quick glance at Uji who is strolling nearby. “And yeah, she works in a music academy too.”

 

But theses aren’t within Irene’s concern. 

 

“Is she pretty ? Is she hot ?” 

 

Wendy chuckles sillily.  “Open the face-cam then, stupid.”

 

“Alright.” Irene fixes her clothes and obeys.

 

“Judge it yourself….. Uji ? Come on over here and meet Irene !!!!!” Wendy yells.

 

 

“What ? I’m bare-faced, you jerk !!!!” Irene panics.

 

“You’re still freaking beautiful with or without make-up.” Wendy sweetly replies as Uji is jogging towards her.

 

 

“Hi, I’m Uji ~~ Nice to see you, Irene !” Uji flashes her eye-smile and greets the girlfriend.

 

“H-hi ~ Good to see you too.” Irene puts on her goddess smile.

 

“And oh, you look really pretty !!! You’re bare-faced right now, aren’t you ?”

 

“Yes, she is.” Wendy, who is out of the screen, pleasantly replies.

 

“I’m just off from work.” Irene gets a little bit shy.

 

“No wonder you’re so popular lately !!! I’ll support you, Irene ~~” Uji joyfully says.

 

“Thanks… I’ll work hard.” 

 

“Don’t worry about Wendy. She’s a great girlfriend. I won’t snatch her from you. And I shall not interfere your couple time. Bye ~~” Uji knows what exactly to say and gives the phone back to Wendy.

 

“Bye~” Irene waves to the screen. And Wendy’s face appears again.

 

 

“So, you’re good ?” Wendy asks as Uji is walking away.

 

“Damn, she’s hot. Look at her figure. I won’t stop worrying.” Irene lowers her voice, still.

 

“Didn’t she just tell you she ain’t gonna take me ?” Wendy raises her eyebrow.

 

“You’re gonna spend one month with her and you won’t get worked up for a hottie like her ? No joking, I will if I were you.”

 

“So you’re saying she’s more attractive than both of us… than me ?” Wendy knows Irene actually does trust her, yet she decides to a bit. 

 

Indeed, Wendy is worried too. Irene, being surrounded by all the other “charming” artists.

 

“God…. This’s a freaking test for us …. for our trust….” Irene is clever enough to figure out the core problem ahead of them.

 

“Please wait for me, Irene-ah.” Wendy’s voice turns into a serious, sincere one.

 

“I’ll wait for you. And you, please come back soon.” Irene softly smiles. 

 

“I love you. Bye.” Wendy playfully blows a kiss to the screen of her phone.

 

“Pabo. I love you too…..” Irene is embarrassed and reluctantly blows half a kiss back before hanging up.

 

 

Wendy holds her phone close to her chest. 

 

And she walks up to Uji.

 

 

“Do you wanna do some recording now ?” Wendy simpers a bit.

 

“Whenever you’re ready.” Uji beams.

 

 

 

The academy has quite some scales. It is established after Wendy had left the country a few years ago.

 

It’s more or less similar to the Korean entertainment agencies such as SM and YG.

 

The main difference is that it is a school, not a company.

 

And the recording studio has everything it needs.

 

Uji is a professional too. She didn’t get to be an artist since she has injured her back some years ago.

 

What a pity. Wendy thought.

 

 

 

It doesn’t take long for Wendy to finished recording her little song.

 

And Uji is very satisfied.

 

 

“Wendy, you’ve seriously got some potential in you girl !!!” Uji happily pats the younger's shoulder.

 

“Thanks Uji ~~ It’s great that some professionals have approved.” Wendy shyly scratches her head.

 

“Have you thought of making it into a full-length song ? Or write more songs in the future ? I’m more than happy to help you with that ! Just don’t forget me when you get big one day!!!”

 

“Argh….. I can try…… ”

 

“Here’re some tips I got from some of my students who compose. “Inspirations are everywhere, but good ones comes from your own life.” I think it means it’s key to be original…. That’s all I know. I can’t compose so…” Uji starts sounding like a teacher when she talks like this.

 

“Appreciate it. Looks like you’ll be my coach from now on.” Wendy smiles brightly to see a light fulfilling her life-long dream.

 

“It’s my honor girl. So let me ride you home now. Your mom will be worried.” 

 

 

 

Wendy finishes her dinner at home as usual, with her parents.

 

Her sister is still at work. 

 

Sera has texted to tell that she's busy working on her new assignment.

 

 

Maybe she should start “working” too.

 

 

She sends the video to Irene’s phone.

 

She talks to her grandpa and checks if he’s doing fine.

 

Which he’s not.

 

She does some serious talking with her dad, which is related to the operation of Contento.

 

She’ll be taking the position of its director as soon as her grandpa passes away……

 

 

She reposes herself on the chair, facing her Mac. 

 

Electronic piano, acoustic guitar by her side.

 

Staring mindlessly at the vanilla twilight through the window.

 

 

She tries to recall things which have happened around her lately.

 

Irene, Taeyeon, Sera, Grandpa, Seulgi …….

 

 

Seulgi seems to be overwhelmed by the overly-attached big baby these days.

 

Joy is clingy as she’s born to be. 

 

But the frequency and extent that Seulgi is facing — is unprecedented. 

 

Seulgi can only enjoy some private time when she’s in the bathroom.

 

Even her bed is being invaded by the big tall baby from the same dorm. 

 

She would fall off the bed in the middle of the night ‘cause her bed is too small.

 

Wendy smirks and tells Seulgi to endure — since Seulgi is too rational and insensitive to sense something.

 

 

 

Wendy put a song on replay, thinking of all these, trying to get inspirations.

 

 

“The stars lean down to kiss you,
And I lie awake and miss you.
Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere.

'Cause I'll doze off safe and soundly,
But I'll miss your arms around me.
I'd send a postcard to you, dear,
'Cause I wish you were here……”

 

 

Scenes run through her heads like a slideshow.

 

Particularly when Irene confessed to her on the roof that night.

 

When Irene and her got soaked by rain on the beach.

 

When they cuddled in the tent on the same beach.

 

 

“I'll watch the night turn light-blue,
But it's not the same without you,
Because it takes two to whisper quietly.

 

The silence isn't so bad,
'Til I look at my hands and feel sad,
'Cause the spaces between my fingers,
Are right where yours fit perfectly…….”

 

 

Not only her and Irene would be in love, would get lonely.

 

Even her parents, even Taeyeon does sometimes.

 

How would they feel ?

 

 

She pulls out the photos of her and her friends, her girlfriend.

 

 

Slowly, and gradually, melodies form in Wendy’s head.

 

And she has stayed up all night.

 

 

 

 

“But drenched in vanilla twilight,
I'll sit on the front porch all night.


Waist-deep in thought because,
When I think of you I don't feel so alone,

I don't feel so alone……

 

As many times as I blink,
I'll think of you tonight……..”

 

(“Vanilla Twilight” - Owl City)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A quick and short update !

I know some of you are starting to worry ~~ So here I am.

The next chapter will be Irene-focused.

Although there'll be some sad moments, this fanfic is mainly a happy fluff.

So please wait for me :D

xo