13. Airplane

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

“Past the tall forest of buildings,

Across the horizon, feeling overwhelmed,
The air current shakes,
Close your eyes and come with me.

 

 

Come with me. Airplane. Love.

This plane that flies in the sky,
That twirls the wind, that walks in the clouds, 

has taken off but,
I believe in you, the one miracle,
The only person whose hand I hold……..”

 

 

(“Airplane” - f(x))

 

 

 

 

 

Irene finishes her only schedule today in the speed of light. Not just because she’s a pro. 

 

 

“Unnie, drop us off at Taeyeon-unnie’s studio please. Thanks.”

 

 

 

“Alright. You guys are having a farewell party there ? Are there food ? I wanna join tooo~~~” Sooyoung’s eyes lights up with the thought of food.

 

 

“Not really, I just gonna hang out with Taeyeon-unnie, my friends and Irene before I leave.” Wendy chuckles as she grabs her girlfriend’s hand.

 

 

“There aren’t any food. Quit it.” Irene was smiling sweetly towards her girlfriend a minute before and now turns into her cold face towards her manager.

 

 

“Ayyyy….. I wanna meet the legendary Taeyeon. Never mind, it means I am off early today. I have other plans.” Sooyoung pouts a bit seeing the lovey-dovey couple.

 

 

 

Irene stops by the door of Taeyeon’s studio, hesitating.

 

 

Wendy also stops as their hands are linked. 

 

 

 

“What’s wrong ?”

 

 

“I-I….. ” Irene bites her lips and lowers her head.

 

 

“Are you nervous ?” 

 

 

“All your friends are there ?”

 

 

 

“No, just the closest. Maybe Taeyeon-unnie’s friends are there…… Oh my lovely cabbage, you are an idol now, and you are getting shy in front of my friends ? Just work your magic like you’re on stage ~~~” Wendy teases and tightens her grasp of Irene’s hand. 

 

 

“They aren’t just someone …….. They are your friends. Don’t I have to do my best ? What if they don’t like me to be your girlfriend ???” Irene becomes more anxious as she starts to bite her fingers. 

 

 

“Hey, we’re here already. You have to go in anyway.” 

 

 

Then Wendy pulls Irene with her full power, and they begin a tug of war in front of Taeyeon’s door.

 

 

 

“Come on ~”

 

 

“No ~”

 

 

“They won’t bite ~ They’ll like you ~ ”

 

 

“Don’t wanna ~~”

 

 

 

“Then how about our wedding ? You don't wanna see my friends too ?”

 

 

“Who said I’m going to marry you ?”

 

 

“Last night ?”

 

 

“Shut up !”

 

 

 

“Hey who’s th— ” A girl comes out to check what’s the fuss outside. And she is shocked by the scene she sees.

 

 

Two girls wrestling with ambiguous poses.  The girl with blue tips on her hair is tickling the other girl with pink tips.

 

 

Her hands are all over her ……hmm………  body.

 

 

 

“Oh….. Hi Seulgi.” Wendy immediately retrieves her hands and stands upright.

 

 

“Hi Seulgi-xi ~ I’m Irene.” Irene fixes her hair and puts on her most charismatic smile.

 

 

Seulgi lol-ed so hard, “Hi ~ Why don’t you guys come in first ?”

 

 

 

The trio enters the studio - Seulgi talking to Wendy, while Irene’s at the back.

 

 

 

“I have to say Taeyeon-unnie has really influenced you much. Byun-tae…..” Seulgi whispers so that Irene won’t hear.

 

 

“What the heck Seul ? I was trying to get her in here……” Wendy has to admit internally that she enjoys the little “wrestling” back there.

 

 

“She looks beautiful by the way. Congratulations ~ 94line ~ !!” Seulgi fist-bumps her 94-line buddy.

 

 

“Get one yourself too~” Wendy smirks.

 

 

Seulgi just rolls her cat-eyes.

 

 

 

“Unniessssssss~~~ OHHHHH~~~ You’re back !!!!!!!!!” 

 

 

A tall figure rushes to the 94-line and hugs the Canadian one so tightly.

 

 

Once again, all Wendy can see is a sky full of stars and a cute smiling face.

 

 

 

Irene doesn’t know how to react to a cuddly big baby hanging on her girlfriend.

 

 

Seulgi notices the stiff smile on Irene’s face and explains.

 

 

“It’s Joy, our “big baby”. She’s a friend of us and she admires Wendy very much. Don’t worry. She hugs everything she likes.” 

 

 

“I see…….” Irene nods and takes notes of that.

 

 

 

“Hey Joy, l-let me g-go. My girlfriend is here.” Wendy uses her last breathe for those words and she is extremely afraid of Irene’s jealousy breaking out.

 

 

“Really ???? Unnie’s girlfriend is here ? Who ?” Joy lets go and starts looking around.

 

 

 

Maybe Irene is “slightly" shorter than our tall baby, so Joy can’t spot any “girlfriend” within her eye-level.

 

 

“Hmm…. Hello ?” Irene raises her arm like a kid in kindergarten.

 

 

“Oh, here you are ~ Hi, I am Joy !!!!!! Nice to meet you ~~~~~~ Such a pretty unnie !!!!!!!” Joy is really joyful to see her own unnie to get another beautiful unnie as girlfriend. 

 

 

 

Joy pulls her new friend into a warm embrace.

 

 

Wendy just shrugs while Seulgi face-palming.

 

 

 

“Okay, Joy. Don’t suffocate our star guest here.” A gentle voice calls out.

 

 

Following by a petite figure wearing a denim shirt, and four other girls, walking out.

 

 

What a crew. The young ones can’t help but agape. 

 

 

 

Joy backs off while she keeps her big smiling face on and greets them one by one.

 

 

“Taeyeon-unnie ! Hyoyeon-unnie ! Yuri-unnie ! Yoona-unnie ! Seohyun-unnie !”

 

 

 

The other 3 have different things going on in their heads.

 

 

Wendy— ….. They’re really all here…

 

 

Irene — My holy cow….. So many people here ….. They’re all Taeyeon-unnie’s friends ? I swear I’ve seen some of them before……… Arghh~ Just keep smiling Bae Joohyun !!!

 

 

Seulgi — I pray for you, Irene. You too, Wendy.

 

 

 

“Oh, you are Irene right ? Hi, I’m Yuri. A friend of Taeyeon. I work as a PR.” A tanned-skin girl speaks up first. 

 

 

“Hi, I’m Yoona. Also a friend of Tae. I’m a journalist. So……. you’re Wendy’s girlfriend~~~ Good for you, girl ~~ ” A doe-eyed girl shows her alligator smile and winks at the Canadian. 

 

 

“Hello, Irene-unnie. My name is Seohyun. Nice to meet you. I saw your performance and I like it very much. Also, I come here to help Taeyeon-unnie for her latest projects. I am a law consultant.” Another honest-sincere-looking girl bows a little as she greets.

 

 

“Okay, Seohyun-ah no need to be that formal……. Yo~ I’m Hyoyeon, and I’m Tae’s cousin.  I’m a dance teacher. Wendy-ah, I think your girlfriend is better than mine !!!! hahahahahaha And I’m here to keep them company haahahahaah ….” A blonde enthusiastically waves at the couple.

 

 

And all four of them are (slightly) taller than Taeyeon.

 

 

 

“Yeah, Irene… Welcome to my studio again.” Taeyeon does an ending for them, as she sees the couple is already crazily blushed. 

 

 

“Hello everyone….. I’m Wendy’s girlfriend, Irene.” The new guest stirs up all of her courage  and flashes her professional smile.

 

 

“So Irene-ah, you’ve met all of them. And guys, please don’t bully her~ Seohyun-unnie, I count on you.” Wendy possessively holds her girlfriend’s hand and flashes her puppy eyes.

 

 

 

“Alright.”

 

 

“We won’t take her away from you.”

 

 

“Congrazzzzz girl, you’re all grown up now.”

 

 

“Don’t worry Wendy, I’ll take care of her when you’re not around.”

 

 

 

The unnie gang goes back to their work at Taeyeon’s working desk, while the youngsters are hanging out at the meeting area.

 

 

“Thanks, Seulgi and Joy. For helping Taeyeon-unnie, and me.” Wendy slyhy smiles and pats her friends’ shoulders.

 

 

“Hey, we’re paid ~ So, Irene, thanks for taking care of Wendy.” Seulgi shakes Irene’s hands.

 

 

“Yeah, I got my first salary from Taeyeon-unnie. Irene-unnie, you must be a very nice unnie. Wendy got lucky hehehehe ~~~” Joy remains her big cute smiling face and shows her aegyo.

 

 

 

“Who’s taking care of who…….” Wendy whispers but gets caught.

 

 

“Son Seunghwan. Say it louder.” Irene nips her girlfriend’s ear and grinds her teeth, while not forgetting to put on a pretty (creepy) smile.

 

 

 

“Anyway……  After handling all the work, we are holding a mini-party back at your place. You know …. Farewell party….” Seulgi giggles at the couple’s “sweet” moment, yet she reminds herself that her good friend is leaving tomorrow.

 

 

The big baby Joy hears it and her mood goes down in a second. She scoots to Seulgi’s side and wraps her long arms around her unnie.

 

 

 

“What’s wrong Joy ?” Irene notices that and returns to her motherly-kind state.

 

 

“I’m already missing Wendy-unnie~~~” Joy whines within Seulgi’s embrace.

 

 

Seulgi just smiles and pats her head.

 

 

 

“Joy ~~~ I’m still here ~~~~ I promise I’ll be back as soon as I can and I’ll Skype or call you guys when I have time ~~~~ ” Wendy joins the hug. 

 

 

Irene looks at the group and feels the warmth. At the same time, she is also start to feel  the emptiness without her bright Canadian.

 

 

“I’ll miss you too, Wendy-ah~” Seulgi says before pulling away.

 

 

“I’ll miss all of you, everyone of you.” 

 

 

 

Then Wendy grabs Irene’s hand, and intertwines their fingers. Especially you. Reassurance. 

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon pops a Champagne and announces the start of their mini-party.

 

 

The older girls are talking about how should people maintain long distance relationships. The younger ones are eating snacks and listening.

 

 

 

It is funny how Irene is a few months older than Seohyun, but Seohyun actually acts more mature than Taeyeon.

 

 

At least Taeyeon and Wendy find it funny.

 

 

 

Irene is socializing with Seulgi and Joy, while stealing glances at Wendy, whom is catching up with Tae on the side.

 

 

 

“How’re you feeling ?” Taeyeon rarely sips on a glass of Champagne.

 

 

“Fine ?” Wendy also holds one, but she is just staring at the bubbles raising in the golden liquid.

 

 

“I’ll be fine. My friends are back to help. Seulgi and Joy are here too. You don’t have to worry about me. It’s Irene……. ” Taeyeon looks at the girl as she speaks.

 

 

“Yeah, you won’t be alone…. You’re getting back with Jessica-unnie.” Wendy smirks a bit and takes a sip of alcohol. 

 

 

 

“Yes and no. We’re merely “reconnecting”. Friends, I’d call.”

 

 

“You two will be together again. I’m sure of it.” 

 

 

“You’re a Pisces, like me, right ?” Taeyeon turns her glances to her dear junior.

 

 

“Yeah…. Why bringing up horoscopes all the sudden?”

 

 

 

Taeyeon softly chuckles and takes another sip before she continues. “Jessica is a Aries, like your Irene.”

 

 

“Coincidental ?” Wendy laughs and plays along.

 

 

“Soulmates. Soulmates, girl. If you put so much faith on us, you should do that on yourself and Irene too. I can tell you’re worried.”

 

 

“How can I not ? She’s raising star now …. I’m afraid that I can’t keep up with her one day.” Wendy finishes her drink in one sip.

 

 

 

“Hey, slow down….  I lost my pace with Jessica once. And I watched her walking further and further from me. I let her fly……. Which I’m still not sure it was a right or wrong thing to do. I just know my heart told me to follow her, but I had listened to my brain instead. That’s why I was in deep regret all these years.”

 

 

“How should I follow Irene ?” Wendy is lost in Taeyeon’s words.

 

 

“It’s not the time yet….. I don’t know either. You’ll find a way. Not literally at least. You have to see your grandfather.” Taeyeon sincerely gazes into the younger girl’s eyes.

 

 

 

Wendy’s facial expression darkens. “You know it won’t be that simple. He….. My grandfather always has plans, like you.”

 

 

Taeyeon knows about Wendy’s family. Powerful. Not her parents, her grandparents. “It won’t be bad either. I thought you came out long time ago in Canada.”

 

 

“Not this…… Maybe they won’t let me go easily when I go back after such a long time.”

 

 

“All the best, girl. Just ask if you need me.”

 

 

“Thanks unnie.”

 

 

“Now go back to your girlfriend first.”

 

 

 

Irene is getting closer to Seulgi and Joy. And they have told her a lot of Wendy’s stories in school.

 

 

Not to mention how popular she is. A girl with nice facial and body features, musically talented, bright and warm, and always good grades. All boys and even girls have a little crush on her. Typical school heart-throb.

 

 

 

Irene can’t hold her jealousy exploding around, even though Wendy is hers now. Wendy has never mentioned these. 

 

 

No wonder Joy looks up to her so much. And Irene feels like the-also-20 Seulgi will also be a good friend, but she’s quite the mysterious type.

 

 

 

The party ends at around 11:00. Most of the unnie gang are drunk, except Seohyun and Taeyeon.

 

 

Yuri and Yoona are fighting about who’s drunk and who’s not. Seohyun is trying to stop Hyoyeon from cleaning Taeyeon’s bathroom. 

 

 

Taeyeon has to fetch Seulgi and Joy home.

 

 

 

“Irene, are you leaving too ? Or you’ll stay ?” Taeyeon asks with her one-side-raised eyebrow.

 

 

“I’ll stay.”  Irene answers without thinking. Wendy is blushing again.

 

 

 

Seohyun and Taeyeon drive their cars away. Leaving Wendy and Irene alone at the house.

 

 

 

“You don’t have schedules tomorrow ?” Wendy asks as she prepares to take a bath.

 

 

“Only two. An interview and a radio show…… I want to stay with my girlfriend ~~~~ Awww~~ My favorite color is purple ~~~~” Irene lazily replies lying on Wendy’s fluffy purple bed.

 

 

“Get some rest, big star~” Wendy darlingly pinches Irene’s cheek before she leaves the room.

 

 

 

Irene has a lot running throughout her mind. 

 

 

Big star. She’s probably insecure as I do. I can’t imagine the days when she’s not by my side.

 

 

 

She buries her petite face in Wendy’s pillow. Smelling her scent.

 

 

 

Creepy. But I like it.

 

 

Whatever, I’ve lived 22 years without her……… But with her, there ain’t nothing like that before.

 

 

Yeah, she’s the one.

 

 

 

Wendy soon finishes her shower and sees her girlfriend lying in weird positions.

 

 

“It’s your turn, cabbage ~~ ” She calls out with her amazing sing-song voice while rubbing her hair with a huge towel.

 

 

 

Irene just turns around and stares at her blankly.

 

 

“What… Are you haunted or something ?” Wendy is freaked out.

 

 

“Naaaaaaa….. Just thinking.” Irene pouts childishly.

 

 

“I got you some clothes. It’s inside.” 

 

 

 

Wendy tosses herself into her bed as soon as Irene closes the bathroom door.

 

 

I want to tell her everything about me, about my family. But it’s not the time and it won’t be a big deal.

 

 

I love her so much …….. How I wish to be with her every minute…. No, not until I come back as a better Wendy.

 

 

 

Irene walks in Wendy’s bedroom with light footsteps. Wendy seems asleep.

 

 

 

How could she ……

 

 

Evil Irene likes pranks.

 

 

 

“YAH!!” Irene dashes to the figure on the bed and yells.

 

 

But the figure isn’t scared at all, she grabs Irene right at the moment and pulls her into the bed covers.

 

 

 

“WHY AREN’T YOU SCARED ?????? HOW COULD YOU!!!! ” Irene tries to free from her girlfriend’s arms. And she's super upset since her pranks failed once again.

 

 

 

But Wendy knows the best when it’s to cheer her girlfriend up.

 

 

A kiss.

 

 

 

“I’m scared. I’m scared to leave.” Wendy adjusts her breathing after a long deep kiss. She was a star in school choir and her lung capacity is no joke.

 

 

Bad luck for Irene, she feels all dizzy and giddy as if her oxygen has been out. It takes her seconds to recover.  

 

 

 

“You wanna suffocate me with kisses ?” Irene stretches out her arms to remain distance with her potential murderer.

 

 

“I just wanted to kiss you ….. Hell did I know you have such low lung capacity….” Wendy laughs.

 

 

“Pffff…….” Irene turns her back to the laughing murderer.

 

 

“Hey…..  I wanna kiss you when I still can.” The murderer hugs her victim from the back, and mutters in her usual warm voice.

 

 

 

Irene struggles a bit as she feels the hot breathes tickling her neck.

 

 

 

“Tell me about your school-life, before you met me.”

 

 

“You heard from Seulgi and Joy ?” 

 

 

“Hmm~” Irene nuzzles up to Wendy.

 

 

“I am a good student. Good with grades. Good with classmates. Good with professors. End of story.” 

 

 

 

“MORE.” Irene turns her head and shoots a threatening glare. “What about the love letters and presents stocking up in your locker everyday ????? What about those free self-made lunch boxes, flowers and chocolate ??? What about the parts of being confessed every month?”

 

 

Wendy just smiles and places another kiss on the crown of Irene’s head.

 

 

 

“Easy, my cabbage. I never accepted a single one of them. Or technically, I shared some of them with Seulgi, Joy and sometimes Taeyeon-unnie. Yes, I might be popular in school, but I have… had remained single in collage…… I dated once back in Canada. ONLY. I have you now. How about you then ? Aren’t you pretty much the same ?”

 

 

Irene opens but no words come out.

 

 

 

“How about that guy Han-sol ??? I bet there’re MORE.” Wendy smirks.

 

 

“I had been a trainee for 5 years before we met. My life was pretty freaking boring… Just practice, practice and practice. Yeah, I have a lot of pursuers. BUT I SCARED ALL OF THEM AWAY.” 

 

 

“Why didn’t you scare me away too ?” Wendy enjoys the feeling with Irene in her arms.

 

 

“You’re different.” Irene turns back around and rests her head near the crook of Wendy’s collar bone.

 

 

 

“I guess we’ve found the one we need.” Wendy rests hers on Irene’s head.

 

 

“You know, I’ve always longed to cuddle with someone when I woke up in the middle of the night, alone at the dorm.”

 

 

“It’s an early flight tomorrow. Sweet dreams, my cabbage. I’m here now.”

 

 

“I’ll be there for you too. My Olaf.”

 

 

 

 

When Taeyeon returns, she creeps into the younger girl’s bedroom.

 

 

She shows a motherly smile without knowing. What a lovely sight.