24. Flying Without Wings

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

“Everybody's looking for that something,

One thing that makes it all complete.

You find it in the strangest places,

Places you never knew it could be.

 

Some find it in the face of their children,

Some find it in their lover's eyes.

Who can deny the joy it brings,

When you've found that special thing,

You're flying without wings.”

 

(“Flying Without Wings” - Westlife)

 

 

 

 

Irene carries on her schedule as usual.

 

The drama is done. Her debut promotion is almost finished. 

 

No more scandal. No more scripted answers. No more hustling. No more 4-hour sleep a day.

 

 

 

Today, she is invited to an opening party of a pay television channel.

 

A lot of other artists are going too.

 

Since it is a rare chance getting to know the sponsors or enterprise management, implying opportunities for commercials, movies, or more jobs.

 

 

 

Again, Irene feels a little bit uncomfortable in her ed silky black cocktail dress.

 

Thanks to her Jessica-unnie, always being bold in her design.

 

Maybe that’s why her girlfriend is such a ert, or vice versa.

 

 

 

Fortunately, Tiffany still looks after Irene well even though her relationship with Jessica is quite tense.

 

And she is now accompanying her junior, keeping her “safe”.

 

‘Cause some may have harbored evil intentions towards these beautiful artists.

 

 

For instance, a bald stout man has been sizing Irene up as soon as she arrives at the scene.

 

 

“See that man ? He’s the CEO of Seoul Hotel chain. I heard he’s also known for being lewd. Keep an eye out for him.” Tiffany whispers to Irene while keeping her picture-perfect grin.

 

“Nae, unnie.” Irene nods and takes note of that.

 

 

 

The SM duo circle the grand venue and shakes some hands.

 

Everyone is eager to meet these two stunning ladies in person.

 

 

Irene remains shy and lets her unnie do most of the talking. 

 

Still, many have good impressions of this rookie.

 

A few even are willing to hire her as their spokesperson next season.

 

 

 

Tiffany’s manager Sunny suddenly pops out and says something about her latest movie.

 

Then she brings Tiffany to greet her new sponsors. 

 

 

The bald man seizes the chance to approach the alone girl.

 

 

“Hi there.” A cheeky smile.

 

“Hi.” Irene stays professional and politely smiles.

 

“So you’re Irene from SM, right ? What a beauty.” He moves closer and stretches out his hand.

 

“T-thank you.” Irene attempts to evade but she just couldn’t step away in front of his face.

 

 

She gulps when she feels his hand touching her arm.

 

Where is Fany-unnie ?

 

 

“Are you interested in co-operating with our hotel ? We are the biggest chain in Asia…..” His hand invades more of Irene’s milky skin as he speaks.

 

Irene swears she would punch his face if there aren’t reporters around.

 

 

So she endures.

 

 

 

“Hey, Mr. Kim.”

 

 

 

It’s a really deep and thick voice. 

 

 

 

Both of them turn their heads to its source and find a tall handsome man with simply back and white suits which still looks incredibly y on him.

 

 

Mr. Kim the bald man slowly withdraws his hand and greets the newcomer.

 

 

“Hi, Mr. Choi. I thought you wouldn't come to such events.” The same disgusting fake smile.

 

 

“I came here for work, can’t I ? Not like somebody coming with different intentions.” If looks could kill, this Mr. Choi has the most dangerous eyes you ever seen.

 

He is literally staring holes on Mr. Kim.

 

And he quickly glances at Irene and gently smiles, “Hi. I’m Choi Seunghyun, also go by the name T.O.P. Irene-xi, you’re a great artist with potentials, I must say.” 

 

 

Irene shyly smiles at her savior, “Thanks.”

 

 

“So can you excuse us now ?” Mr. Kim cuts them off.

 

“I don’t see there’s something important going on here.” T.O.P bluntly replies, while he’s looking down at the other man.

 

 

Feeling humiliated, Mr. Kim’s face is flushed and his fists are balled. 

 

 

“Who do you think you are ? If it wasn’t your father……..” He points his finger towards his sculpture-like face.

 

“Don’t your dirty mouth mention my father….” T.O.P grabs his hand and twists it.

 

 

Mr. Kim cries in agony, which draws the other guests’ attention.

 

 

 

“It’s enough.” 

 

 

 

This time, it’s a husky female voice.

 

 

 

T.O.P kindly obeys and lets go of his hand.

 

 

He fixes his collar and walks up to the speaker.

 

“I'm sorry if I lost my manner there.”

 

 

Irene is busy checking whether Mr. Kim is alright while the latter rushes to the speaker and complains.

 

 

“Ms. Shon, did you see what he just do to me ? Oh… wait, do you two-” 

 

Not waiting for him to finish, he is subdued once again by a girl with a baby-face.

 

 

 

“Chorong-ah, let him go. He doesn’t bite.” Wendy softly speaks.

 

“Nae.” Chorong also obeys but stays alerted.

 

 

Irene finally realizes it isn’t just someone who have come to rescue.

 

She is dazed by the Wendy standing in front of her. 

 

 

Her usual director-look with a feminine suit and stiletto heels. 

 

But this time, no shirt inside.

 

Which is unbelievably and ridiculously y.

 

 

 

“Ms. Shon I……” Mr. Kim’s annoying voice pulls Irene back from her imagination.

 

Wendy gestures him to shut up.

 

“I saw what happened from the second floor. Mr. Kim, I’ve acknowledged that your profile isn’t that nice before but I didn’t expect to see it with my own eyes.”

 

 

 

T.O.P, who is standing behind Wendy, hides his laugh.

 

Good luck to the old man, he has messed with the wrong target tonight.

 

For god sake, she is her girlfriend.

 

 

 

“Ms. Shon please, give me one more chance. The hotel chain’s sales has been increasing and I have done my job well….” Mr. Kim pleads and is on the verge of crying. 

 

And Irene enjoys every second of this. 

 

So do the others. 

 

 

Tiffany hurries back and sees the fuss.

 

She is relieved that Irene seems okay.

 

And an unfamiliar figure catches her eyes as she speaks. 

 

 

“I don’t think it’s because of you. I have informants saying that you have been embezzling by falsifying accounts from the hotel. So I am here to tell you in person, you’re freaking fired. Now get out of my face.”

 

Wendy folds her arms and gives her verdict.

 

“And I have called the Police. You stole my money….. Chorong, take him out please.”

 

 

Chorong subjects the defeated Mr. Kim like squashing a bug and guides to the security to kick him out.

 

 

The show ends. 

 

Some people goes back to their own business.

 

Some still have their eyes on the uncommon hot guest.

 

 

 

“Wendy-ah, you look so cool ~~” T.O.P throws away his poker face and childishly sticks two thumbs up.

 

“Oppa, stop playing around…… You’re so handsome too~~~” Wendy playfully slaps his hand away.

 

“I think we should both stop ‘cause someone is watching.” T.O.P sticks his tongue out and whispers, “Sorry, Irene-xi. We’re bros.” 

 

 

“It’s fine.” Irene coolly replies.

 

But her stiff smile says the other way.

 

 

Wendy looks around and steps closer to her girlfriend.

 

“Irene-xi, are you okay ? I’m sorry for what have just happened. Do you mind if I treat you a drink upstairs ?” 

 

“There are less people.” T.O.P mouths. 

 

 

Irene gives an understanding nod and follows the team.

 

 

When Wendy walks past Tiffany, she kindly invites. 

 

“Unnie, do you wanna tag along ?” 

 

“Sure.” 

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy settles herself down and pulls Irene to sit next to her.

 

T.O.P and Tiffany sits across.

 

Chorong sits behind Wendy.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, Irene-ah. I shouldn’t have left you there alone.” Tiffany breaks the silence.

 

“I’m alright, unnie. You had no choice.” Irene sweetly smiles.

 

“Yeah. You don’t have to blame yourself, Tiffany-xi. I was there watching all the way.” T.O.P chuckles in his deep voice.

 

“Huh ?” Tiffany is confused.

 

 

“I always want to beat his . Also, some stupid kid arrived late and asked me to look out for her girlfriend.” T.O.P rolls his y eyes.

 

“Quit it, oppa. My flight was delayed. I even received a speeding ticket driving here with Chorong.” Wendy pouts.

 

Chorong nods with agreement.

 

“So you was not really watching everything from here.” Our clever Irene raises her eyebrow.

 

“Yes…. If I really did, I would have dug his eyes out or chopped his hand off long time ago.” Wendy grinds her teeth.

 

Irene pats her girlfriend’s back, comforting her anger.

 

 

“You guys have reunited and I guess my job is done here. See you around.” Tiffany flashes an eye-smile and stands up.

 

“Bye.”

 

“Enjoy the night.”

 

“See you unnie.” 

 

“Have fun unnie.”

 

 

 

“I wonder how come you could have such an awesome girlfriend ?” T.O.P orders a drink and asks.

 

“Don’t be jealous, oppa.” Wendy flings her arm around Irene since no one is looking.

 

“I have underestimated you, Seunghwan-ah. You were as round as me when you were young.” He waggles his thick eyebrows.

 

“I think we have both worked out hard. You looks so well-built now.” Wendy whistles.

 

“Of course ~ Take care of your girl then. I still got stuff to do.” T.O.P finishes his Long Island. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Irene-xi.”

 

 

He does a gangster handshake with Wendy before he heads downstairs.

 

Chorong also follows suit, giving some private time for the couple.

 

 

 

“I heard he’s the CEO of the Choi Enterprise. And also turns out to be your bro.” Irene looks at the sight of T.O.P’s back.

 

“We grew up together. I mean, he’s been living in Korea but his father and mine are close friends.” Wendy proudly answers.

 

 

They haven’t spoken anymore for a while, yet their hands are intertwined.

 

 

Irene leans her head on Wendy’s shoulder and mutters, “Finally.”

 

Wendy places her head on the top of Irene’s and kisses its crown, “Nae. I’m here.”

 

 

 

“I don’t know you would look so hot, director.” Irene nuzzles closer, trying to grasp the warmth and the scent of Wendy.

 

“Just for you….. Hey, you too. That back…. I wish I could take my blazer off and give it to you.” Wendy is enjoying the feeling of having Irene in her arms again. 

 

She can’t stop pinching her cheek.

 

 

 

“Blame Sica-unnie. She gave me this.” Irene blushes.

 

“I have to thank her for this, actually.” Wendy smirks and drools when she tickles the 23-year-old’s .

 

“I… Yah…..S-stop….” Irene struggles and fights back.

 

 

The two lovebirds wrestle until Wendy frees one of her hands and cover Irene’s mouth.

 

 

“Hey, don’t be too loud. Someone might hear us, Irene-xi.” She peeks with her head turning left and right like an owl.

 

Irene giggles at her unchanged cuteness. 

 

Oh how much she misses this.

 

 

 

“As long as they don’t see us.” Irene uses her hand to turn Wendy’s head back around, and crushes her lips with her own.

 

 

 

“I must say your lung capacity has increased. And I think you’ve hurt my front tooth too.” Wendy inhales a deep breath.

 

“You dork. I just kissed you.” Irene smacks her head.

 

“Is this domestic violence ?” Wendy pouts again, holding the back of her head.

 

“Not until you’ve married me.” 

 

“I will. I’m not going anywhere, Bae Joohyun ~~~” Wendy bear-hugs Irene.

 

“You’d better to. Sooyoung said I should chain you up with me.” 

 

“So hardcore.” Wendy backs away a little.

 

“I think so too.” 

 

 

 

“But if you do, I won’t mind.” 

 

“Ewww…..” Irene flicks Wendy’s forehead.

 

“I’m all yours ~~~” Wendy ignores the pain and cuddles her cabbage tighter.

 

“What would the others think if they saw the almighty mysterious hottie Contento’s director Wendy Shon, cuddling a female idol in a hotel’s lounge bar, as if she’s cuddling a teddy bear ?” 

 

 

Wendy instantly lets go and recomposes herself.

 

 

“But I miss you……” Puppy-eyes.

 

“Pabo, me too ~ We have been disappearing for so long. Maybe it’s time for us to return at the scene too.” Irene mildly holds her Olaf’s hand.

 

“You’re right…..” A pout.

 

“After this, we can spend the rest of the night together.”

 

“Really ?” Wendy is now grinning.

 

“Of course. Let’s go now.”

 

 

Irene marches but she stops after a few steps.

 

Wendy is glued to the ground like a tree.

 

 

“What’s wrong this time ?” Sometimes the older girl thinks she’s more like a mother.

 

“Can I stay with you when we’re down there ?” The younger girl innocently pokes her arm.

 

“Isn’t your secretary here too ? She can accompany you.”

 

“But your outfit is too revealing…..”

 

“So does yours….. Okay, fine.” Irene sighs.

 

 

 

Chorong is waiting near the staircase.

 

She spots her boss and her girlfriend.

 

 

“Wendy ? Should I still follow you or what ?” Chorong isn’t sure whether her boss still needs her.

 

“Yes please. Sticks around until the party’s over. And, look out for Irene too.” Wendy replies with a smile.

 

“Hello there, Chorong-xi. I’m Irene.” 

 

“Hi. Then I should go back to work now.” 

 

 

Chorong disappears like smoke and hides at a distance, covering the couple.

 

 

“Wow. She’s really something.” Irene is in awe.

 

“She’s expensive you know. Money well spent. I offered to take her back to Korea with me and she was moved to tears. She’s nice and capable.” Wendy walks side by side with Irene yet maintains a few inches apart.

 

 

“So you are a director and a YouTube singer now.” Irene murmurs. 

 

“And your girlfriend.” Wendy also answers in a volume that is merely enough for them.

 

“Will you become a legit singer like me ?”

 

“Maybe. Someday.” 

 

“Oh.. Wendy-xi. I heard you just came back from Canada….” Irene switches channel as someone is passing by. “We can spend more time together if you are one.”

 

“I would love to……Yes, Irene-xi. Your drama is…..” Wendy pauses and clears . “Screw your drama.”

 

 

“It ended.” 

 

“Whatever.”

 

“I am very happy that you came directly to me after you landed.”

 

“Yes, I did. I planned to catch up with Seulgi, Joy and Taeyeon tomorrow.” 

 

“Nae. Wendy-xi……… How about your mother ?”

 

“She has jet-lag. Maybe later. Oh, and Sera….. She has to handle her business first.”

 

 

“Hey, where do you think Taeyeon-unnie and Sica-unnie are ? Whose place ?” Irene asks out of the blue.

 

“Probably Jessica-unnie’s. Are you thinking the same thing too?” 

 

 

They looks at each other and answers in perfect coherent.

 

“Since she’s too lazy to move.”

 

Smiling from their hearts.  

 

 

 

 

Time passes by so fast when they are together.

 

The party ends and Wendy calls a taxi to send Chorong home.

 

 

Some have approached Irene or Wendy respectively to offer them a ride.

 

Who won’t hit on those two ? It doesn’t hurt for asking.

 

 

Surely, all rejected.

 

 

Irene gracefully gets on the grey Jaguar F-type.

 

And Wendy’s behind the wheel.

 

 

“Call Sica-unnie first. See where should we be heading.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” 

 

 

Irene has to admit, she loves every bit of Wendy - the sunny bright side, the warm caring side, the possessive side, the romantic side, the dorky side, and the new one — career woman, so hot and competent, cool, determined and .

 

Or simply saying, desirable and hormone-rising.

 

 

 

 

 

 

*On Sera’s side*

 

 

Sera thinks she’s completely ed up.

 

The flight is delayed and she’s 30 minutes late.

 

 

Wendy freaking left for her at the airport by herself and rushed to meet Irene.

 

Even her mom and Chorong are gone.

 

And she twisted her ankle while fighting for her luggages.

 

 

She carries all her stuff on a cart and tardily reaches the main entrance of Incheon airport.

 

The winter wind is chilly. 

 

 

She snuffles and looks around.

 

Not a single taxi. 

 

Life is miserable.

 

How is she gonna find Hyuna ?

 

 

Sera lonesomely sits on the curb.

 

 

Perhaps she does deserve this.

 

Who told her to leave Hyuna for a job and not willing to settle down with her.

 

 

 

She tries to keep warm but embracing herself. 

 

Her eyes narrow as the headlight of a car straightly shines on her.

 

 

 

“Get your up.”

 

 

 

A redhead steps out from the car and blankly stares at Sera.

 

 

 

“How did you know I’m here ?” Sera is scared rather than excited to see Hyuna picking her up.

 

It’s dark now, she could possibly be murdered and her body dumped without anyone noticed. 

 

God knows, Hyuna is a real mysterious Gypsy-minded woman.

 

 

“You prefer me not knowing you’re here ?” Hyuna questions with her arms crossed.

 

Her hair and eyes shine under the headlight, her silhouette pours over Sera. 

 

Sera always feels so small in front of her.

 

 

“Nah….. I-I…. ” Sera flaters.

 

“Wendy texted me.”

 

“I-I …..T-thanks.” Sera cowardly answers.

 

“Now get your big up if you don’t wanna spend your night on the street.” Hyuna commands.

 

“I-I… Erm….. I can’t. I hurt my ankle.” 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier ? Come on.” Hyuna’s expression softens and helps Sera to get up on her feet.

 

“You didn’t ask.” Sera finally cracks a smile with her one arm on Hyuna’s shoulder.

 

 

“So if I don’t take the initiative to ask, you wouldn’t tell me anything.” Hyuna’s cold voice sends shivers to Sera when the car is on the highway.

 

“I’m sorry. I really do. I don’t wanna be your burden and … And I decided to go back to Canada and sorted things out…. I think I’ve got the answer now.” Sera gasps and goes honest.

 

 

There is no use of beating around the bush with Moon Hyuna. 

 

 

Moreover, if Hyuna really hates her so much, Sera’d rather to be tossed out from the car than got killed in her house.

 

Again, god knows if Hyuna has torturing devices at her place, and Sera’s body would be devoured by her cats.

 

 

“I guess you will be staying at my place ? I still got that spare room.” Hyuna is calm as .

 

Her expressions and tone are flat.

 

 

 

Sera gulps so hard and prays for her safety tonight.

 

 

 

When they reaches their destination, they are greeted by Hoya and Moya the cats, which haven’t changed a bit. 

 

 

Hyuna squats downs and gives a pat for each.

 

 

“You got your own clothes, right ? I’ll take a shower first, I have to do fitting tomorrow.” Hyuna throws a spare house key to Sera and leaves her hanging.

 

 

 

Hyuna goes directly to her room after that. Silently.

 

And her guest fearfully repeats the same routine.

 

 

Sera tiptoes to her room-for-now and quietly lays her tired body on the bed.

 

She really can’t comprehend the redhead fully even they have known each other for so many years.

 

 

 

 

 

*Back to Wendy*

 

 

Wendy is happily snuggling up together with her cabbage on her bed.

 

 

 

They are right. 

 

Taeyeon is staying with Jessica.

 

 

 

Irene is fascinated by the fact that her Olaf has changed in 180 degree, comparing to the one 2 hours ago.

 

Her Olaf is now literally a 3-year-old, nestling her head on Irene’s belly with the innocent bright smile plastered on her face.

 

 

“Irene-ah ~~~”

 

“Nae ?” Wendy can feel the vibration coming from Irene’s vocal cord as she speaks.

 

“I wish this moment would last forever.”

 

“No, I don’t.” Irene is having fun nipping Wendy’s cheek.

 

“Wae ?????” Wendy grabs Irene’s hand and protests. “I came back to you, for you……”

 

“Pabo. There are many other things we should do together.” Irene sweetly says and interlaces their fingers.

 

“Awwww~~” Wendy blushes and hides her face in Irene’s pajamas.

 

 

“For me it's waking up beside you,

To watch the sun rise on your face.

To know that I can say I love you,

At any given time or place.

 

It's little things that only I know,

Those are the things that make you mine.

And it's like flying without wings,

Cos you're my special thing,

I'm flying without wings.”

 

 

“So you are also the Asian branch CEO now ?” Irene pokes Wendy’s head.

 

“Yeah.” Wendy cutely looks up.

 

“Good job firing that back there.” 

 

“I would have even if he didn’t harass you. He stole my money.” Wendy clutches her fist as if a kid saying “he stole my favorite colored pencils”.

 

“Thank you for rescuing me.” 

 

“Hey, that’s my job, isn’t it ?” 

 

 

“You have a plenty of jobs, don’t you ?” Irene chuckles, causing Wendy’s head bobbing along with her belly.

 

“If I don’t, how on earth can I feed the mouth of the national goddess ?” 

 

“I am not.” Irene shyly looks away.

 

“People say you are, you are.”

 

 

“Whatever…… You are still producing songs, right ?” 

 

“Yup. Uji would help since she has a studio back in Canada.”

 

“I have faith in you, Wendy-ah ~~ I am waiting for your album hehehee”

 

“Ehh~ I am making a song currently. Guess what ? It’s about us, again.”

 

“Awww~~~~ Ain’t I the luckiest person on earth ? Someday you should sing it in the name of Wendy Shon, a.k.a Irene’s girlfriend, not as The Stargazed.” 

 

“I should make the whole album about you and hold a concert to tell the world that I love you.” Wendy gets excited and scoots upwards, back to the same level as Irene.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t, cause it’s already enough having you by my side.”

 

“I know….. But I’m greedy.” Wendy gently kisses the corner of Irene’s mouth, both teasing and startling the 23-year-old. “A song just came to my mind. It goes like this …….”

 

 

“You’re the place my life begins,

You'll be where it ends,

I'm flying without wings.

And that's the joy you bring,

I'm flying without wings.”

 

 

It does something to Irene whenever her girlfriend sings to her.

 

 

Since the very first day.

 

When she woke up hearing this amazing voice and watching her doing housework.

 

When she teared up hearing this girl singing for her in that practice room and on that stage.

 

 

And her doe-like limpid eyes that speaks.

 

Her smile that warms up her body and lights up her world.

 

 

Deeply engraved in Irene’s head.

 

 

 

“You’re really something to me, Bae Joohyun.” Wendy ends her singing and locks their lips.

 

“My pleasure.” Irene manages to mutter on her girlfriend’s lips before she falls into her trance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hey guys~~~ So Wendrene finally reunite !!!!!!!

So do Sera and Hyuna :D

But, there're still many things waiting for our couple ><

FYI - T.O.P is like my fav male idol hehehee

Let me know if you like this reunion or not ;)

See u, I'll back asap~

xo