27. Photograph

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

Irene has officially ended her first-wave promotion.

 

It is far more successful than the management of SM expected.

 

It is undoubtedly that Irene Bae is going to be the new national star soon, alongside with her sonbae Tiffany.

 

 

At the moment, what matters the most is she finally has a short holiday before starting the preparation work for the next comeback.

 

 

Therefore, she spends her scarce free time resting, hanging out with some trainee friends, sticking with her girlfriend.

 

Things that would energize her again.

 

 

Last but not least, to visit her family in Daegu.

 

And she is bringing Wendy with her.

 

 

 

Wendy, on the other hand, has to handle something both as Contento’s director and as the Stargazed.

 

Consequently, Irene has postponed her plan of going back to Daegu a few days for her.

 

 

 

And today, the start is finally heading back to her hometown.

 

 

 

“Are you sure that having me is a right decision ?” Wendy asks while she is driving.

 

“Yup ~ I’ve met your mother couple days ago.” Irene is excited.

 

“Yeah….. Would your parents accept … me ? Like …….you are with a girl ?” Wendy makes a swift left turn to the highway.

 

“I don’t know. But they already had an idea about me not being very into boys years ago. Considering my so-called dating history…… They sounded alright on the phone too.”

 

“I see.”

 

“And you are going to sweep them off their feet like you did to me, playing guitar and singing ?” Irene curiously asks as she points to the guitar in trunk.

 

“I could,” Wendy smirks. “Actually, I just bring it along in case I get bored. Since I decided not to bring my laptop for work.”

 

“Good girl ~” Irene gently pats Wendy’s head.

 

 

“And you can sleep for now. I can handle the driving myself.” 

 

“You don’t wanna to talk me ?” Irene pouts.

 

“No ! I just think you should get some rest when you can.” Wendy comforts her girlfriend as she maintains her focus on the road.

 

“I got enough sleep in the past few days.” 

 

“It’s dangerous for me to keep talking while I’m driving. That’s a long drive to Daegu, my cabbage.” 

 

“Then I’ll just look at you and say things that could keep you entertained.” 

 

“You’re weird too, Bae Jooyhuun.” Wendy chuckles.

 

 

 

After almost 4 hours, they arrive at Daegu.

 

It’s Wendy’s first time visiting this part of South Korea.

 

Indeed, there’re a lot of places she’s never been to either.

 

 

Irene is more than glad to be her personal tour guide.

 

 

“Make a right turn….. Yes, here. See ? It’s my high school. And go straight, turn left at the second block…… ” She is now Wendy’s GPS.

 

 

 

Wendy takes her time looking at the beautiful scenery and precisely reaches their destination.

 

 

 

After parking the car, they walk a little to Irene’s house with their luggages.

 

Wendy carries two big bags on each hand and a guitar on her back.

 

Irene is rather “lightly-equipped”, ‘cause it’s her home after all.

 

 

 

Irene takes a deep breathe and presses the door bell, and her Olaf is behind her.

 

 

 

“Joohyun ? Oh my god, Joohyun-ah !!! You’re finally back ~ Appa, look !!!” Irene’s mother answers the door and is flushed to see her daughter again.

 

“Omma, I miss you so much…..” Irene holds her tears and gives a warm embrace to her mother.

 

“Oh, Joohyun…. You look thinner. Do you eat well ?” Her father rushes down and joins the hug.

 

 

And Wendy is left standing there like a scarecrow, not dare to do or say anything.

 

 

“So….. This is Wendy ?” Irene’s omma notices the anxious stiff girl and asks.

 

“Yes, I am Wendy. My Korean name is Shon Seunghwan. It’s a pleasure to meet you two.” Wendy does a standard 90 degree bow towards Irene’s parents.

 

“Come in first.” Irene’s appa kindly says. “So, Seunghwan, let me help you a bit.”

 

“Oh… No thanks, Mr. Bae. I can handle myself.”

 

“You are our guest here.” Irene’s appa insists helping Wendy to carry one of her bags.

 

 

They are inside. 

 

It’s a quite traditional Korean house with modern interior.

 

 

There is a spare guest room and Wendy thinks it’s better for her to stay here.

 

So she and Irene settle down at their respective rooms first.

 

 

 

Shortly, they returns to the living room and formally greets the parents.

 

 

 

Wendy sits across with Irene by her side, keeping both hands on her knees.

 

Anyone who have eyes can tell she’s nervous as .

 

Being close as Irene, she can see a drop of sweat coming down her cheek.

 

 

 

“So,” The only man in the house speaks up to the western-featured girl. “You come from Canada.”

 

“Nae. I am full Korean but was born and raised there. I came back to Korea about 3 years ago for collage and trying out auditions.” Wendy answers politely.

 

“I heard your grandfather is the founder of the big company Contento.” This man with a stern look continues.

 

“Yes, he is. He passed on to my father years ago. And I’ve become its director recently after he….. passed away.” Wendy gets a little emotional mentioning her old man.

 

Irene concernedly looks at her and pets her hand.

 

 

“I’m sorry to hear that.” He eases up a bit.

 

“Me too…… You must be tired.” Irene’s mother gives a warm smile.

 

“It’s alright. That’s why I went back to Canada a month ago….  Now I am back again, as the Asian bench CEO as well.” Wendy curves her lips into a light smile.

 

“You must be very successful and capable at your age.” The man looks directly into Wendy’s eyes.

 

“I guess it just runs in my blood. Also, it’s merely because of my family. My real dream is to be a singer. But maybe I wasn’t good enough so……” Wendy’s smile turns bitter.

 

“She’s good too. But she was just a little…. fat when she was younger. She plays many musical instruments and sings very well.” Irene helps her girlfriend to explain.

 

“I saw your guitar…… Sing for us some other time then.” Irene’s mother seems interested.

 

“So I’ll practice a Korean song later.” Wendy mannerly replies. 

 

 

 

“Seunghwan-ah,” The man strikes again. “I understand you love my daughter, and she apparently loves you too. And you seems to be a nice girl …. not only because you could make money, also because you look sincere and dependable.” 

 

 

He pauses and Wendy swears her heartbeat also stops.

 

 

“But we are still worried. It’s not your problem…… It’s that you two could not be legally married and live together officially. I am indeed happy for Joohyun, who has found her own right person. Having children ain’t my concern either.” 

 

 

Irene’s parents obviously have talked a lot after Irene called to announce the news.

 

 

“I am worried that you two would have a rough road ahead. Joohyun is now a celebrity. She could only date secretly… And now it’s with a girl…..  I am not trying to break you up. You two are adults. I just wanna say that I am reserved towards your relationship. I am not denying nor opposing.”

 

 

 

Wendy could feel Irene tensed up.

 

The 20-year-old blinks for several times before she delivers her speech.

 

 

 

“This is understandable. Although my parent are supportive, they have asked me the same thing when I first came out.”

 

“I know no matter how many promises I made to Joohyun, it’s plain useless when we’re outside. I couldn’t guarantee Irene anything as a girl I am. It’s a matter of fact….. Still, it doesn’t take away my right to love her. And I am willing to face the consequence for that.”

 

 

Wendy looks scarily solemn. 

 

She stares back at the man.

 

 

And Irene grabs her trembling hand showing support.

 

This Wendy at the present reminds her of the director Wendy Shon at the opening party.

 

But this one is deadly serious.

 

 

 

“As for your daughter Joohyun, I couldn’t bear to let her suffer as you do. I would never hurt her. One of my unnie also has a girlfriend. Her name is Taeyeon, a photographer. She has taught me something very important on this aspect.”

 

 

“She had let her girlfriend leave for the States 4 years ago, ‘cause she had to chase for her dream as a designer. Even though she loves her deep in her bones, even though they were together for 5 years….. She told me, if you loves someone deep enough, you would let them go for good. And she hasn’t regretted a single second for that. She just blamed for herself for being a drag……. Just like my grandfather. If they have to go, you let them go.”

 

 

Irene tightens her grip on Wendy’s hand.

 

Wendy weakly smiles in return.

 

 

“Thus, if I ever hurt Joohyun, or she has suffered from our relationship, she is free to leave me. I wouldn’t hold her back. I would hand her back to your hands. This, I can promise you.”

 

 

Wendy’s eyes are resolute. 

 

She has thought of these long time ago since Taeyeon told her the story between her and Jessica that night.

 

What would she do if she really loves Irene.

 

 

 

Irene looks back and forth from her appa and her girlfriend.

 

So does her omma.

 

 

Irene is strongly stuck by her words.

 

She doesn’t expect that Wendy has run through these things in her little smart brain by herself.

 

And that she loves her so much.

 

 

Her omma tears up a bit acknowledging that her daughter has found herself such a committed other half. 

 

It’s obvious that she loves her daughter far more than herself.

 

 

Her appa is deep in his thought and remains silence for some minutes.

 

 

Wendy still determinedly looks at him. 

 

It’s like her life depends on this.

 

 

 

Indeed, it does.

 

 

 

The man shows a relieved smile.

 

“I think I got your point. So it’s up to you two now.”

 

 

“I will prove it to you sir.” Wendy smiles gently. 

 

The meaning behind is, I will prove it to you that your daughter would be perfectly safe with  me. Since I would take all the pain for her, and from her.

 

 

“Then, we’re done with the talking. Joohyun can show you around town. Be back at dawn. Joohyun’s omma has prepared a meal for us all.”

 

 

“Thank you very much.” Wendy stands up and takes a deep bow to both.

 

 

“Now you young people go to have fun.” Her omma mildly gestures them to go.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene blissfully drags Wendy passing through every corner every alley in her neighborhood.

 

They are comfortable ‘cause they don’t put on much make-up and in cozy clothing.

 

 

They stops by an old store.

 

Wendy is slightly panting since she has been carrying her not-small guitar all the time.

 

 

Irene says hi to the ajumma owner and gets themselves some ice cream.

 

 

“Here you go.” Irene finds Wendy who is resting by the lamppost. 

 

“Wow~ Ice cream !!!!!” Wendy is all happy again.

 

“Are you really letting me go if I want to ?” Irene tears the wrapping paper and asks.

 

“Only if you want to, or have to.” Wendy tilts her head adorably.

 

“I wish my parents could see how cute you are.” Irene giggles.

 

“Did I scare you back there ?”

 

“No, I love that side of you too. I feel well-protected.” 

 

 

“Hehehee By the way, you are close with the ajumma ?” 

 

“Yeah, I had been a regular customer since I was in elementary school. I used to save my pocket money and bought snacks here after school.”

 

“She must be very proud of you now.”

 

“She said she misses me very much. And she’s glad to that she could still see me on the TV.”

 

“Oh ~ You must have missed this place very much.” 

 

“Yeah, but in order to pursue my dream, I have to leave. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have met you, pabo ~”

 

 

 

They finishes their ice cream and moves on.

 

This time, Irene brings her dearest girlfriend to her high school.

 

 

Today is Saturday, not many students and teachers are there.

 

 

 

Irene wanders around and goes to the classroom she used in her final year.

 

Wendy sneakily takes out a Polaroid from her backpack and snaps a few shots.

 

 

“Hey look at this pretty girl, I wonder who she is.” Wendy hands Irene a photo she has just taken.

 

“Wha- That’s me !! When did you….. How could you carry all these stuff ?” Irene holds it with both of her hands, admiring it inch by inch.

 

“I can give it to you if you want.”

 

“Yes please.” Irene smiles like an innocent child.

 

Wendy carefully hangs the Polaroid on her cabbage’s neck.

 

 

“I wanna capture every moment of you, Bae Jooyhyun.”

 

“How romantic ~ ” Irene sweetly says and turns around to the chalkboard.

 

“You draw ?”

 

“Captain Obvious.” 

 

 

No one really knows Irene could draw.

 

She hasn’t attended classes for that either.

 

She merely liked to sketch on textbooks when she got bored in class.

 

And she kept her drawings to herself.

 

 

Irene picks up some chalks and begins to work her magic.

 

 

It doesn’t take long for a Wendy to appear on the green chalkboard.

 

To be exact, it’s Wendy standing in the rain smiling. 

 

Her eyes crinkle a bit by the big smile, her clothes are soaked, her face is soggy.

 

But she’s still smiling so genuinely to a girl, who only shows her back.

 

 

The sight of a girl’s back on the bottom left corner — in a white dress, seemingly it’s Irene.

 

 

It’s the day they were on the beach.

 

 

Wendy grins ear to ear, “Take a picture of that. I want to have this so much.”

 

“Pabo, I can draw for you everyday.” Irene presses the shutter button.

 

 

 

“Too bad they will erase that on Monday. Maybe you should sign your name on it so that your school would keep it and hang it on the wall.” Wendy jokes.

 

“We could try ~” Irene adds a big signature above “Wendy”’s head.

 

 

 

 

“Cabbage.” Wendy sits on a desk, her legs are swinging back and forth.

 

“Yeah ?” Irene puts down the chalks and goes sit beside her.

 

“I’ll release another song soon.”

 

“Really ? What is it called ?”

 

“I named it “Photograph”. Remember that I have taken bunch of photos before I left for Canada ? I still have most of them in my wallet. Some of them are at my room.” Wendy fishes out her wallet and shows it to Irene.

 

“Could I hear it now ?” Irene raises her eyebrow.

 

“Sure, you’ll forever be my first audience.” Wendy reaches for her guitar.

 

“Wait, let’s go somewhere better.” Irene halts her hand and leads her downstair.

 

 

 

They walk to a lawn next to the outdoor sports ground.

 

There’re trees conveniently planted on the side.

 

 

“Your high school is romantic too ~” Wendy whistles.

 

“Except the guys studying here.” Irene laughs.

 

 

“Okay then. I’ll do my premiere here.” Wendy casually sits under the shade of a random tree.

 

“I’m ready ~ ” Irene follows suit and attentively looks at her Olaf.

 

 

“Why am I still embarrassed……Anyway, here we go.” 

 

 

 

“Loving can hurt,

Loving can hurt sometimes.

But it's the only thing,

That I know.

 

And when it gets hard,

You know it can get hard sometimes.

But it is the only thing, 

That makes us feel alive.

 

Loving can heal,

Loving can mend your soul.

And is the only thing,

That I know.

 

I swear it will get easier,

Remember that with every piece of you,

And it's the only thing we take with us when we die.”

 

 

 

Several students pass by.

 

And the scene of a pretty girl singing to another catches their eyes.

 

Instead of approaching them, they remain distance and enjoy the song.

 

 

Irene is thinking if it's Wendy who wrote the lyrics this time.

 

These words that reassure her from the little incident happened not long ago. 

 

 

Wendy has been closing her eyes and now she opens them again.

 

They are aimed at one person only.

 

 

 

“We keep this love in a photograph,

We make these memories for ourselves.

Where our eyes are never closing,

Our hearts were never broken,

And times forever frozen still.

 

So you can keep me,

Inside the pocket of your ripped jeans.

Holding me close until our eyes meet,

You won't ever be alone.

 

And if you hurt me,

Well that's okay baby only words bleed.

Inside these pages you just hold me,

And I won't ever let you go.”

 

 

 

Wendy pours her heart into this song.

 

Her previous one is chosen for a movie, so she has to make the song coherent with it.

 

As for this one, it is 100% tailor-made.

 

 

Wendy — It doesn’t matter if you love me or not, if we are thousands miles apart or not, if time forgets us or not, I love you. And if you do love me, think of me when I’m not around and wait for me. ‘Cause I will never leave you.

 

 

 

“Or you can fit me,

Inside the necklace you got when you were 16.

Next to your heartbeat,

Where I should be.

Keep it deep within your soul……

 

When I'm away,

I will remember how you kissed me.

Under the lamppost.

Back on 6th street.

Hearing you whisper through the phone,

Wait for me to come home.”

 

("Photograph" - Ed Sheeran)

 

 

 

Irene thought she wouldn’t be that fluttered after she has heard of her Olaf singing so many times.

 

She is wrong.

 

 

She bites her lips and a tear escapes.

 

She looks up with her teary eyes and sees her girlfriend shining under the sunlight.

 

 

Wendy places her guitar on the side and goes behind Irene.

 

She removes her necklace and gently puts it around Irene’s neck.

 

 

It’s the necklace Irene mailed to Wendy, the necklace Irene bought when she’s 16.

 

What a hint.

 

 

“Why do you give it back to me ? You’re breaking up with me ?” Irene smiles her tears away.

 

While her fingers the feature of the pendant.

 

 

“It’s the same necklace but I changed the pendant. I bought another unicorn for you and I kept yours. Shouldn’t we at least have one couple item ?” Wendy raises her left arm and flashes a bracelet with the identical unicorn pendant.

 

“I like it.” Irene pokes Wendy’s unicorn.

 

“My idea or my song ?” 

 

“Both.” Irene takes Wendy’s hand and interlaces their fingers.

 

“Hey, someone could be watching.” Wendy checks and the students are gone.

 

“I didn’t kiss you. We could be “just friends”.” Irene also looks around and teases.

 

“You must be touchy with your friends.” Wendy childishly withdraws her hand and stands up.

 

“Let’s go somewhere else then.” Irene sticks her tongue out and walks away.

 

 

 

 

The couple then visit more places where Irene used to hang out before she was scouted by SM.

 

 

Wendy feels closer to her girlfriend.

 

Because she gets to trace the path of how Bae Joohyun has become Irene.

 

 

 

“Too bad that most of my friends aren’t in Daegu anymore.” Irene sulks walking down the street.

 

“They moved ?” 

 

“Yeah. We the younger generation tends to leave town for job after graduation.”  

 

“And you lost contact with them ?”

 

“Yes again. After I start training in SM, I didn’t have the time to find them.” 

 

“Maybe you would bump into them or their families in the next few days.” Wendy flashes a bright smile.

 

“I hope so…..” Irene sighs.

 

“It’s sunset. Let’s go home now. Your parents are waiting.” Wendy looks at the pink, orangish sky.

 

She nudges Irene to take pictures of that.

 

 

“Okay ~ Who gets there first can decide where to go and what to do tomorrow…. for the whole day !!!!!” Irene starts running before she finishes.

 

“Hey, that’s cheating !!!” Wendy also sprints in full speed.

 

 

 

 

They both cherish these carefree days like today.

 

Which resemble the good old days back in their childhood.

 

Particularly, as adults, they are bound by obligations now.

 

 

 

Wendy doesn’t know when could she get to enjoy times like this again.

 

However, things will be fine as long as people whom she loves are by her side.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm back !!!!!

Irene's parents do like Wendy but they are a bit reserved.

So the story is in its second half if you didn't notice haahaa ;D

It gets longer then I have expected lol

Anyway, I love y'all ~~

And I'll update as soon as I have time ^^

xo