15. Not A Bad Thing

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

*9:00am, Canada*

 

 

Wendy’s family are morning people. 

 

Wendy drags her feet to the living room and greets them.

 

 

“Morning~” 

 

“Darling, did you sleep well ?” Her mom enthusiastically replies and hands her a glass of milk.

 

“Yeah….Thanks mom.” Wendy takes a sip and yawns. 

 

“So, how did Irene say ?” Her mom flashes her puppy eyes.

 

“Honey, let her grab some food first.” Her dad comes to rescue and still face-calms with one hand. 

 

“Mom, even I won’t help you this time.” Her sister sighs and finishes her sandwiches. “I have a early meeting, I’mma leave first ~~”

 

“Bye~”

 

“Take care ~”

 

“See you~”

 

 

Wendy eats uncomfortably since her mom keep staring at her, not even blinking.

 

Her dad is reading newspaper.

 

 

“Irene said it’s okay.” Wendy feels defeated and announces the result.

 

“Long live Irene !!!!!!! Your girlfriend is really nice, THE BEST, darling ~ I would approve if you say you have to marry her tomorrow.” Her mom claps and happily exclaims.

 

“Fine. I’ll propose to her tomorrow then.” Wendy takes a bite of her bacon and rolls her eyes.

 

 

Sometimes she’d afraid that her big eyes would fall off one day if her mother keeps making idiotic comments or decisions for her.

 

 

“Propose through the phone or Skype ?” Her dad peeks from the newspaper and plays along.

 

“That fast ? I thought you two have only dated for some weeks.” Her mom just can’t get a clue.

 

“I’ll one day, just not tomorrow. You brought it up first. So what’s your plan ?” Wendy puts down her fork and crosses her arms.

 

“Hmm…. You like music, right ? Do you like coffee ?” 

 

“I’ll bite.” Our 20-year-old Olaf raises one eyebrow.

 

 

Olaf didn’t really like coffee when she was younger. It was too bitter for her.

 

But tables have turned after she’s started to live with Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon drinks milk and coffee everyday. There aren’t many other beverages in her fridge.

 

And she begins to appreciate the unique fragrance and bitterness of coffee.

 

 

“Music cafe ? This afternoon ? Downtown ?” 

 

“How many people are there ?” Questions to answer questions.

 

“Many…  Most of my friends are there and some of their children. Like a gathering.”

 

“So, that’s why you are so desperate to get me there ? Socializing ?”

 

“Darling, a few of my friends haven’t seen you before. And, yes….. I have mentioned that my daughter is all grown-up and pretty and talented now ~~~~ So please come ~~~”

 

“Fine.”  Another eye-rolling.

 

“Can you play a song too ?” Her mom slyly asks.

 

“What ? Is that a talent show or something ?” Wendy swears her eyes have stared so hard that they jumped out from her sockets for 0.0000001 second. 

 

“Seunghwan-ah. Isn’t singing the no.1 on your to-do list ?” Her dad folds the newspaper and calmly joins in.

 

“Yes ! B-but….. Okay, I’ll prepare something then.” Maybe it’s not a bad thing to do.

 

“Great !!! Then we’ll be ready by 2. The gathering starts at 3:30.”

 

 

 

 

*In Wendy’s room*

 

 

“ !!!” Wendy throws herself into her bed again.

 

Things are going out of her expectations lately.

 

 

Yes, she knows she has to make her mother proud in front of those gossipy friends of hers.

 

But what to sing ? 

 

Her mind is stuck.

 

 

Ideas rushed to her like waves when she had to sing couple times ago. 

 

It’s because she was singing for something, for someone. 

 

 

Irene.

 

 

Wendy picks up her phone and texts her girlfriend.

 

“How’s my cabbage doing ?? >3< I’m missing you~~~ T^T <3”

 

 

Then she sends another text to Sera.

 

“Hey, lazy bum. Woke up yet ? 0_0 Need a little help here …”

 

Sera is a freelancer. She works when and what she likes and she travels a lot.

 

 

 

Our girl just does nothing. Lying on her bed, facing the ceiling.

 

Irene is probably recording music show or something …..

 

I hope everything goes fine with her.

 

I hope that girl is nice and friendly…….. 

 

 

*Buzz*

 

 

Wendy bolts up and checks her phone.

 

 

It’s Sera.

 

A little disappointed but it looks like help is coming.

 

 

“Yeah. I’m up :P What can I do for you WenWen~~~ XD”

 

“Irene said I can go 0_o It’s a gathering…. But mom asks me to perform a song there -.- Any ideas ?”

 

“Talent show ? lol Don’t you know a lot of songs ??? -0-”

 

“No   /_\ My brain is empty now…… ”

 

“Missing you gf ??? 030”

 

“YESSSSSSSSS~~~~~ T.T”

 

“Is there anything you wanna say to her right now ??? ._.”

 

 

Wendy stares at the scenery outside and thinks for quite a while.

 

A light bulb goes *ding* above her head.

 

 

“Which one is better ? Piano or guitar ? 0v0”

 

“Woooo~ Someone’s got IDEAS  \0v0/  I think guitar suits you better ~~~~”

 

“Justin Timberlake heheheheehe XD”

 

“Nice choice gurrrrrrl~~~~ But don’t give that girl the wrong hint o.o”

 

“Thanks SERAAAAAAA <3”

 

“Good luck~~~ Tell your mom to get it on tape lolololooololoooolool”

 

 

Wendy laughs and starts to practice the song she has in her mind.

 

 

It’s another song for you, Irene.

 

 

It’s about 1:30 soon as our little Olaf is so immersed into her singing.

 

She then hurries to pick her clothes.

 

 

What kind of style should she go for ?

 

Not too formal…. 

 

Not revealing….

 

Alright, simple red checkered shirt and ripped jeans. Hair down.

 

It seems the blue tips goes quite well with her shirt.

 

 

Wendy flings her guitar on her shoulder and heads downstair to meet her mother.

 

 

“Mom, I’m ready~”

 

“Darling. Oh, you look good even without fancy clothes ~~~”

 

“Quit it. Just get in the car.”

 

 

*On Wendy’s mother’s car*

 

 

Wendy is looking at her phone all the time.

 

 

“Darling ~” Her mom calls out.

 

“Yeah ?” She answers without looking up.

 

“What’s on the phone ? Is it Irene ?”

 

“Nah. I hope so too. She’s at work. Just chatting with Seulgi.”

 

“I see. Seulgi’s fine, right ?”

 

“Yea… Just girls’ stuff.” Wendy hides her little smirk from her mom.

 

Our little bear seems to be in heat, hahahahaha ~~~

 

 

“So, darling, what song will you sing ?”

 

“Just wait and see ……. Ah, could you please record it or something ?”

 

“I will if you don’t tell me~ What a precious memory for a mother !!!! My beautiful daughter singing ~~~ Awwww, I see~~~ It’s for Irene, isn’t it ?” Her mom is cheerful kind of person.

 

“Of course. She is my girlfriend after all.”

 

 

Her mom waits a bit then she speaks up again.

 

“Darling, I’m sorry about that hooking-up thingy.” She sincerely gazes at her daughter when the light is red.

 

“Mom~~ I know you were doing it for me. It’s fine. I ain’t even mad at you.” Wendy pats her mom’s hand.

 

“It’s a good girl and I hope you two can be friends. And, oh ~ How I wish I can meet Irene~” 

 

“Mom, why don’t you come with me when I go back to Korea later ?” 

 

“Good idea ~~~ Let me start making plans !!!”

 

 

Wendy just chuckles at her mom’s sunshine-personality.

 

 

*Some music cafe, downtown* 

 

 

Wendy looks at the group of aunties through the windows and freezes by the door.

 

“Mom, what’s the rundown for today ?” She hopes it’d end asap.

 

“Hmmm…..  Just everything going on the same time…. You know, catching-up, eating cupcakes, having coffee, singing, dancing…..”

 

“What ? Dancing ? Your friends dance ?” She cuts her mother off thinking of a group of middle-aged put-on-weight women dancing Girl’s Generation or AfterSchool or Sistar.

 

It’s not some discrimination but it’s …… hella awkward.

 

“Calm down, darling. Mostly it’s our children. Let’s go in ~!!!!” Her mom drags her in.

 

 

“Hi, Mrs. Shon !!!! So this is your daughter ~ Look at how beautiful she is now !!” One of the auntie group comes up and grabs Wendy’s hand.

 

“Oh, It’s Seunghawnnie ~~~ Do you remember me ? I’m Mrs Im. I had changed your diaper once !!!” Another auntie comes and pinches her cheek.

 

“Wow look like an idol !!! You’ve brought a guitar with you ? Nice, we’ll have some show to enjoy, everyone ~~~~” 

 

 

Wendy feels like it’s a body-check with all the women touching and remains her standardized-socializing-forced-unchanged-stiff-bright smile.

 

 

After greeting dozens of aunties, or her mom’s friends to be exact, she literally tires out and sits at a corner of the sofa.

 

While her mom is still occupied. 

 

 

“Hi ~ you’re Wendy, right ?” A husky, refreshing voice guides Wendy to turns her head to the other side of the sofa.

 

 

 

 

Long honey-brown hair. Tall. Fit. Slightly tanned. Flawless skin. Eye-smile. y.

 

Our Olaf does her analysis and has to admit her mother has a good taste.

 

Still, Irene is forever the best in my heart.

 

 

“Yeah. Hi there.” Wendy flashes a friendly smile.

 

“I’m Uji. Nice to meet you.” Uji reaches out for a handshake.

 

“Me too.” Wendy shakes it politely. 

 

“My family moved here from Seoul about a year ago. If it wasn’t your mother, we wouldn’t have been adapted as we are now.” Uji kindly smiles.

 

“Really ? It’s glad to hear that she’s helpful.” Wendy takes a glance of her mom whom is sharing her home-made red velvet cupcakes to the others.

 

“She is. She seemed lonely when I first met her. Then she told me that her dear daughter, you, have gone back to Korea alone 4 years ago, and she misses you so much. I guess she must be very delight now.” Uji also follows Wendy’s gazes and says.

 

“And you know why I came back, right ? I’ll be leaving soon.” Wendy doesn’t mean to distant Uji, but she’s merely stating the facts.

 

“I heard from my mother. It must be tiring for you to travel back and forth.” Uji just flashes another smile to our Olaf.

 

Wendy sighs and opens up a bit, since she has a feeling that having this girl as a friend won't be a bad idea.

 

“My family is here. My other family is in Seoul. I have some very close friends and my girlfriend back there. Although I am still in collage, I help in a photography studio. The owner is the closest person I have, besides my real family. Name’s Taeyeon.”

 

Uji patiently listens and replies, “No wonder you have to go back …. Any chance that the photographer friend of your is Kim Taeyeon ?”

 

Wendy is surprised that her new friend has heard of her Taeyeon-unnie. 

 

“Yes ! It’s her.”

 

“I love photography too, so …..” Uji shyly smiles.

 

“Maybe we can chat on Skype someday.” Wendy smiles too.

 

“Great ! Thanks a lot ~~ She’s like one of my idols !!!” Uji is thrilled to hear that and hugs our Olaf.

 

And our Olaf is still stiff as a stone. Feeling a little heat on her face.

 

“It's just like lifting a finger. I’ll call or text her everyday anyway…..” 

 

“I see …… So is Taeyeon your girlfriend ?” Uji pulls away and curiously asks.

 

 

It’s the 3976546654 times that people have mistaken the two have a thing.

 

Seulgi, her parents, her classmates, their clients, Tiffany …. now, Uji.

 

 

“Noooooo~~~~ This is my girlfriend.” Wendy shows her a selfie of her and Irene.

 

“Oh ~ My mistake.” Uji sticks out her tongue. “So…… Oh my god, it’s Irene !!”  

 

“Yup.” Wendy proudly answers. “But, don’t let anybody know……” She secretly points to the aunties far from them.

 

“Got it.” Uji makes a okay sign. “Nice girlfriend, by the way.” 

 

To have an idol as a girlfriend means you must be something. 

 

And Uji is thinking that this Olaf must have something special in her. 

 

 

Wendy’s mom has been stealing glances at the two young girls and is relieved that they seem to get along well.

 

She approaches them when it’s time.

 

“Girls ~ So, who wanna go on stage first ?”

 

“I will.” Uji cutely raises her hand. “Since Wendy is new here.”

 

She gives our Olaf a smile before she leaves for the stage.

 

 

Leaving Olaf wondering what she would do. Dancing ? Singing ? 

 

As soon as Uji stands up from the sofa, the only thing in our Olaf’s mind is how tall she is.

 

Omo !! Her legs is freaking long …… She’s at least 168 cm…… 

 

Then she weeps internally and mourns over her own height.

 

 

Wendy is brought back to reality when music starts booming.

 

 

It’s a rising Korean girl group BESTie’s hit song - “Hot Baby”.

 

It’s an upbeat song, which Uji is singing and dancing too.

 

Wendy has to admit once again this girl has a strong voice and is ……. y.

 

 

She takes a bite of her mom’s red velvet cake to divert her attention.

 

Red velvet. Strong and soft. 

 

It reminds her of Irene so much.

 

My fluffy little cabbage ~~~~

 

 

But when her gazes slowly move back to the stage and she just can’t help but to stare at……

 

Uji’s …….

 

!!!!! What have you done to me, Tae ????  I’m turning into a ert like you……

 

Wendy doesn’t really have a , yet sometimes she does have the awareness when a good is around.

 

Thanks to Kim Taeyeon.

 

At one time, Wendy (un)intentionally touched Irene’s and she nearly got punched in the face.

 

 

Our Olaf stuffs the whole red velvet cake into and starts tuning her guitar.

 

Then, she sends another message to her cabbage.

 

“I hope things are all doing fine on your side ~

 

 

Uji walks down and sits next to little Olaf.

 

“Hey, how’s that ? Did I do okay ?”

 

“You’re…. hmm… great. I don’t know you can sing and dance so well.” Wendy daren’t to voice all her “comments” out honestly.

 

“Thanks. It’s my hobby……. And you’re going to play guitar and sing ? That’s cool ~ ” Uji says expectantly as her eyes curve into moon-shape.

 

“Taeyeon-unnie taught me how to play. Guitars are relaxing.” Wendy says as she’s preparing to leave for the stage.

 

“Fighting ~!!!” Uji makes a air fist-bump to her new friend.

 

 

When our Olaf walks past her mom, they whisper.

 

“Remember to tape it ~~~”

 

“Alrighty~~”

 

Her mom flashes a professional camera from nowhere and starts recording.

 

“Wow ~~ You really never disappoint, mom.”

 

“Anything for my daughter ~~”

 

 

Wendy clears and settles herself on a metal stool on the stage.

 

“Hello everybody. I’m Wendy and today I’m gonna play a song. Hope you all enjoy.”

 

 

“Said all I want from you,
Is to see you tomorrow,
And every tomorrow.
Maybe you'll let me borrow your heart.
And is it too much to ask for every Sunday ?
And while we're at it throw in every other day to start ?”

 

 

Like the previous times, everyone in the room has stopped doing their own business when Wendy strums those chores and hits those notes.

 

Like Taeyeon does, Wendy’s voice has a natural magic, a magnetic force — pulling you in, smoothening your heart, sending chills to your bones, giving goosebumps to your skin.

 

They don’t have the most silky voice. 

 

But their rough-sounding ones are the most soulful that you have ever heard.

 

It’s a gift. Not only because they sing from the very bottom of their hearts.

  

Probably due to the fact that they are sensitive, observant, warm, affectionate.

 

 

“Now how about I be the last voice you hear tonight ?
And every other night for the rest of the nights that there are,
And every morning I just wanna see you staring back at me,
'Cause I know that's a good place to start…..”

 

 

It’s the first time for her mom to see Wendy singing so confidently. 

 

She had accompanied her to several auditions before she had headed back to Korea. 

 

When our Olaf was a chubby, shy, uneasy teen.

 

And every time, her mom had to comfort her depressed crying daughter afterwards.

 

 

“So don't act like it's a bad thing to fall in love with me,

Cause you might look around,

and find your dreams come true with me.

Spend all your time and your money,

 just find out my love was free.

 

So don't act like it's a bad thing to fall in love with me, 

It's not a bad thing to fall in love with me,

Not such a bad thing to fall in love with me…….”

 

 

Today is different.

 

Her daughter is shining on the stage.

 

She smiles every second, while she's singing every notes, strumming every strings.

 

Her smiles is bright.

 

Her eyes are closed. Glitter whenever they are open.

 

Her guitar looks like it is a part of her body.

 

Everything looks so perfect.

 

 

Wendy has changed so much. Upgraded.

 

Her mom finds a drop of tears escaping from her eye.

 

Thank god she has such a talented daughter.

 

 

“No, I won't fill your mind with broken promises,

And wasted time.

And if you fall,

You'll always land right in these arms,

These arms of mine………”

 

 

As for Wendy herself, the only thing flickers in her head is when Irene cheered for her at the SM trainee assessment.

 

The loving look on her face.

 

But no.

 

Her mom is here today too.

 

She opens her eyes and spots her mom quick.

 

Holding the camera on one hand, secretly wiping tears on the other.

 

Mom, do you see ? Singing is the most enjoying thing I’ve done.

 

 

Wendy changes the chords as she finishes Justin Timberlake’s Not A Bad Thing.

 

She writes an extra part.

 

It’s her first time to do a little composition. Ever since she has learned to play musical instruments.

 

 

“If I had a pair of wings,

I'd pick you up and fly you far away from here.

And I could stay right by your side and keep you so near,

And then I could save you form the troubles of the world,

And all you'd have to pack is your heart to bring.

And there we are, you and me

Flying on a big old pair of wings……….”

 

(“Not A Bad Thing + Pair Of Wings” - Justin Timberlake)

 

 

Oh Irene, how I wish I could take away all your troubles and sadness.

 

How I wish I could fly to you right now.

 

How I wish I could have a pair of wings.

 

 

Cheers and applauds explode within the room as Wendy sings her last note.

 

What a touching performance and song.

 

Her mom dashes to give her daughter an embrace.

 

 

“Irene would love this. Definitely. I love it to death. Mom is proud of you.” Her mom mutters.

 

“Thanks mom.” Wendy hugs her mom while she is still grabbing on her guitar.

 

“Take the camera and I’ll join you later.”

 

 

The others are shouting out their praises. Clapping. Giving thumbs-up.

 

“Mrs. Shon, your daughter would be one good artist !!!!!”

 

“What a beautiful face and voice !!!!!”

 

“You should be performing on TV !!!”

 

 

Wendy bows to them one by one humbly and orders a cup of iced Americano.

 

 

“I must say you have blown me away there.” Uji is holding a cup of Cappuccino.

 

“Thanks. It’s my hobby too.” Wendy teases a bit and smiles.

 

“Yeah, I bet that’s why Irene have fallen for you.” Uji giggles.

 

“You know what, I had dreamt to be a singer when I was small. But for some reason, I gave up as I grew older. And now, I feel like maybe I can give it a shot again.” Wendy takes a large sip and says.

 

“Hey, you know what too ? I’m actually an instructor in the academy of performing arts nearby. And I sincerely invite you to pay us a visit. I can help you to record or something.” Uji is more than excited to find a gem like her.

 

“Really ? No wonder you are that good.” Wendy can’t help but eyes her up a bit.

 

“Great ? Hmm…… So, maybe I can show you around now ?” Uji kindly offers.

 

“Sounds good to me…. But I have a lot of stuff to carry.” Wendy speaks as she points at her backpack, her acoustic guitar and the big camera.

 

“No worries. I have car.” Uji grins. 

 

“Let’s go then.” Wendy laughs along. “Mom ! Uji’s going to show me around so no need to wait for me. See you ~”

 

Wendy’s mom waves and gestures them to leave.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s not a bad thing to make new friends. I guess.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Do you guys like Uji from BESTie ? Her singing is awesome :D

Back to the story..... How do you think of Uji making her appearance ? *smirk*

We'll see some TaeNySic soon btw XD

Thanks for the support so far. 

Hope you love this story as much I do.

See you soon

xo