23. Arithmetic

Do you wanna build a Lego house?

 

 

Wendy has finished packing most of her stuff with the help of her mother.

 

She is already to go.

 

 

“Darling, I can’t wait to meet Irene.” Her mom sits on the edge of her bed.

 

“So do I.” Wendy smiles .

 

 

“I know you always make the right choices, like your father and grandfather. I have a feeling that I’ll like her as well.” 

 

“Thanks mom……….I heard you’ll stay in your friend’s house.”

 

“Yeah. You are moving back with Taeyeon and I think Sera is going to stay in Hyuna’s place. And I really want see what Seoul is like after all those years.” 

 

 

It takes seconds for Wendy to reply again.

 

 

“And mom, do you think dad is really going to let me become a singer ?”

 

“You have his words. After the Asian branch has stayed on track, you are free to go.”

 

“Can’t I be a singer and a director at the same time ?” 

 

“Of course you can. You silly girl.” Her mom beams patting her daughter’s head.

 

“Hehehee……Let me check on Sera.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy puts on her zip-on hoodie and walks to the house next door.

 

 

 

“Sera ~” She calls in her sing-song voice.

 

“You hasn’t changed a bit you know,” Sera answers the door with her messy bed hair. “You used to call me like in the playground when you were like 4.”

 

 

“You must be kidding me. It’s not your usual bedtime, Ryu Sera.” Wendy steps in.

 

“Half correct. I’m on the bed. But not sleeping.” Sera whines.

 

“Someone is having insomnia.” Another Taeyeon-smirk.

 

 

“Laugh, you -head. I don’t believe you can sleep tonight.” Sera fixes her hair and whines.

 

“Irene doesn’t know I’ll back tomorrow.”

 

“Damn, you’re really a jerk….. ” 

 

“Stop cursing me. What did Hyuna say ?”

 

 

“She said okay.” Sera murmurs towards her luggages.

 

Wendy has super sensitive ears and manages to catch that.

 

“Then there’s no need to worry.”

 

 

“That’s exactly what I have to worry. She should’ve scolded me on the phone, or be mad or angry or sad …….” Sera messes up her own hair again.

 

“Come on, it’s no use to worry all by yourself. Hyuna is the chill type. I swear she misses you too.” Wendy smoothens her buddy’s hair. “And, you will meet Irene, Taeyeon, Seulgi, Joy and much more. Don’t you love to make new friends ?”

 

“Yeah, I am totally excited.” Sera says with her blank face.

 

“Whatever. It’s none of my business. I’m sure that I will get a good sleep tonight cause I will be seeing my fluffy girlfriend very soon. Face your own problem. You did this yourself.” Wendy rolls her eyes.

 

 

“You’re right……. I’m going to my bed now. Buenas noches, mi amiga.” Sera salutes to the younger girl at the door.

 

“Buonanotte.” Wendy flippantly throws a wink.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy goes to her dad’s study before she goes to bed.

 

 

 

“Dad ?”

 

 

“Seunghwan-ah.” Her dad stands up from his seat.

 

“Come to visit me when you can.”

 

“Sure thing. Take care, okay ? I wanna meet your girlfriend too. But I can’t right now ‘cause Contento needs someone’s in charge.”

 

“I will. I love you, dad.” Wendy hugs him.

 

“Love you too. Now rest and prepare to catch your early plane.” Her father lovingly pats her head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wendy is lying on this bed of hers one last time. 

 

It has been her good company in this month.

 

 

 

 

She does her regular phone call with Irene and makes sure that her schedule hasn’t changed.

 

She has a big surprise for her cabbage.

 

 

 

Again, only Taeyeon knows.

 

Not even Seulgi, Joy, or Jessica.

 

 

 

Our poor Irene is paranoid since she doesn’t know when Wendy is coming back. 

 

 

 

 

“Hey.” Irene looks at the night sky. 

 

Calling her girlfriend is her most anticipated part of the day.

 

 

“Shouldn’t you already be sleeping this late at night ?” Wendy may sounds stern but indeed she is fluttered every time she hears her cabbage’s soft voice.

 

“I wanna hear your voice first.”

 

“Silly. I wanna see your face more.”

 

 

 

“I've been staring at the sky tonight,

Marveling and passing time.

Wondering what to do with daylight,

Until I can make you mine.

You are the one I want, you are the one I want.”

 

 

 

“Can you not leaving me again ? It could be torturing sometimes.”

 

“Same for me…… Then I’ll stay ‘til the end.” 

 

“I’m glad that we didn’t give up on each other.” 

 

“Yeah, this month seems like half a year for me…….. ”

 

“It’s winter now. A lot of things happened yet I still want you back the most.”

 

“Me too, Irene. Me too.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Taeyeon’s side*

 

 

 

Taeyeon used to think love can be measured or calculated.

 

Not giving it an unit, but it’s more like having a certain success formula. 

 

 

Her theory is proved wrong when Jessica and her grew distant to each other years ago.

 

Because love is simply irrational.

 

 

 

 

And she could feel Jessica is distancing her again.

 

 

 

 

Jessica avoids having any eye-contacts or physical contacts as possible with her while they are watching TV together at the latter’s place.

 

 

 

 

“What’s it about this time ?” The owner of this house stands up and block the TV with her petite body.

 

“You are blocking my view.” The ice princess grumbles, and icy glaring the other girl.

 

 

“Finally, you have your eyes on me.” 

 

“So ?” Jessica immediately diverts her gaze away, trying to glance at the program showing between Tae’s limbs.

 

 

“Why do you begin avoiding me after that night ?” Taeyeon goes up and holds Jess’s shoulders, pinning her on the sofa.

 

“Nothing.” Jess coldly replies and doesn’t even struggle.

 

 

 

 

“What you’re doing now reminds me of what happened 4 years ago.” Taeyeon feels a lump in and her grasp grows weak.

 

“I don’t mean…….” Jessica looks up and sees Tae’s fretted face.

 

 

 

 

“Don’t hurt me once again or you can leave now.” Taeyeon retrieves her hands and heads to the kitchen. “I can’t bare to suffer like that again. Sooyeon-ah, I’m tired.”

 

 

 

“I've been thinking of changing my mind,

It never stays the same for long.

But of all the things I know for sure,

You're the only certain one.

You are the one I want, you are the one I want.

 

I've been counting up all my wrongs,

One sorry for each star.

See I'd apologize my way to you ,

If the heavens stretched that far.

You are the one I want, you are the one I want.”

 

 

 

Jessica’s gaze sticks to Tae’s back, while herself is glued to the sofa.

 

 

Taeyeon pours a glass of milk and leans her back on the kitchen counter.

 

 

 

 

They stare at each other deeply for a while.

 

 

They are reading minds.

 

 

 

 

“Look, I can only think of two possible reasons. One, you’re scared. Two, you feels guilty towards Tiffany.” 

 

“Yes, I am. Both.”

 

“And you are punishing both of us for that. Don’t you see I’ve changed ?”

 

 

 

“SM is giving me hard times these days…… They have bought every freaking piece in my latest collection. I don’t think they love my designs that much……. I have to overwork with my team, fixing them one by one to fit their artists.”  

 

Jessica turns off the TV and spits things out.

 

“I’ve only worked with Irene so far and I want to stay this way……… I wanted to decline their offer but they’re willing to pay quite handsomely. So the company decides it’s no longer my call.”

 

 

 

“You mean Tiffany is………” Taeyeon is shocked and spills a few drops of milk.

 

“I don’t want to jump into conclusions so fast…… But it does look like that way.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier ?”

 

 

 

“‘Cause I know you would have talked to Tiff again.” 

 

“Yes, I would. Because I am trying my best to get you back and I don’t like something’s in my way.” 

 

 

 

“I love you, Taeyeon-ah. I was just ….. uneasy.”  Jessica scoots up to Taeyeon and cups her expressionless pale face.

 

“We have gone through a lot in 9 years. Don’t be troubled by these trifling things now.” Taeyeon’s hand gently cover Jess’s in return.

 

 

 

“I won't find what I am looking for,

If I only "see" by keeping score,

'Cause I know now you are so much more than arithmetic.

 

'Cause if I add, if I subtract,

If I give it all, try to take some back.

I've forgotten the freedom that comes from the fact,

That you are the sum,

So you are the one I want.”

 

 

 

“Tiffany is our friend, maybe I shouldn’t have……”

 

“Hey, if it’s really her…… I will forgive that. I understand that feeling.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Jessica falls into Taeyeon’s embrace.

 

“Just talk to me if something happens again. You worries me.”

 

“It won’t happen again.”

 

 

 

“Have faith in me, araso ?” Taeyeon breaks the hug.

 

“Hmm. ”

 

“So you’re good ?” 

 

“Perfect ~” Jessica does her little aegyo, making Taeyeon giggles.

 

 

“You’re too old for this.” 

 

“Yah !!!” Violent Jess appears and gives one heavy slap on Tae’s back.

 

 

“Hey, don’t hurt my spine. It’s already not in a very good condition.” 

 

“You asked for this.”

 

“You never do aegyo before.” Taeyeon frowns, although Jess’s aegyo is adorable indeed.

 

“I’ve changed a lot too. I learned more.”

 

 

“So I think we could last long this time.” Tae takes Jess’s hand and gives her a wink.

 

“That doesn’t look very nice on you either.” Jessica chuckles.

 

“I guess that’s why we’re together.” Tae laughs along.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah, please don’t let me go this time.”

 

“I just wanna spend my life with you. That’s it.” Taeyeon places a gentle kiss on Jess’s forehead.

 

 

 

“When the years are showing on my face,

And my strongest days are gone;

When my heart and flesh depart this place,

From a life that sung your song,

You'll still be the one I want.”

 

(“Arithmetic” - Brooke Fraser)

 

 

 

“Won’t you be bored ?” Jessica teases.

 

“Yeah, I will. So let’s go on a new adventure with me.” Taeyeon ruffles Jess’s hair.

 

“Where ?” Jessica plays dumb.

 

“I don’t know. Anywhere.” Taeyeon playfully shrugs.

 

“Then please take care of me.” 

 

 

 

Jessica doesn’t wait for Taeyeon to answer and muffles her lips with her own.

 

 

 

“Do you know how long I have waited for this ?” Taeyeon pulls away for a few inches and smiles. 

 

And she gladly engages herself in a lip-locking competition with her girlfriend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And I shall stop it right there *smirk*

 

 

Hey, I'm back to drop another update !!!!

As I have said, I want to finish this before I get buried by my assignments.

And, I don't like to keep my readers hanging *winks*

 

Spoilers : Wendy will be back to Irene next chapter. There will be Sera-Hyuna, SeulJoy too.

 

btw Wendy has covered another old song - Jo Sungmo "Do You Know" (조성모 - "아시나요") for EXO902014.

It's absouletly daebak !!! I can't get enough of her voice. Check that out ~~

 

I hope you guys enjoy this short chapter as well.

I promise the next one will be LONG :D

Bye for now.

xo