022

40 Weeks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stared aimlessly at the pale blue wall in front on me. My leg bounced up and down as the seconds past. Everything that was going on in my mind, was blank and gone. I was a mess right now. I was scared, horrified even... No doctor or nurse has updated me since we arrived at the ER. They took both of them right away. I could hear their cries from rooms away. It felt like my heart was being torn out of my chest, squished into a ball then throw on the ground as they stomped on it.  Why couldn't I hold them while they did their tests? Why couldn't I just see them? Why wasn't anybody telling me anything?

"It's going to be okay." Hana rubbed my back, trying to soothe me.

I couldn't bother to respond. My throat was dry and was starting to ache.

She sighed, "I think you should call Yixing and tell him. He has the right to know." I guess she was right but he was all the way in America, he wouldn't be able to catch a flight until hours later and with the amount of time it takes to fly from Los Angeles to Seoul, there was no point.

I nodded, lifting myself off of the hospital chair. The dull hallway seemed almost resembled a prison. The lights were dimmed because it was the night shift. Even the air was stale. Unpleasant...

As I pulled my phone out of my pocket, I slide my finger across the screen and unlocked it. My finger was hesitating over recent calls where Yixing was second on the list. Finally I gained a bit of courage to press his name then raised my phone to my ear, waiting for the dial tone to go.

A few rings went by until it stopped and instead there was his sweet voice. "Hello? Taylor?" he said to me.

"Yi-Yixing?" I croaked. My voice was barely audible.

"What happened? It's almost 2am there." he started sounding concerned. This was now the time to tell him.

I took a deep breath and leaned back my head so my tears wouldn't escape my eyes. "Jackson and Layla. There were sent to the hospital." I finally told him. It was no use to keeping the tears back. So I used my free hand to cover my eyes so nobody would see the mess the way I am.

"What? Are they okay? How did this happen? Please tell nothing is wrong with them." he started to ramble off, slowly I could tell he was trying so hard to keep his Chinese from coming out.

"I don't know anything. They won't tell me anything. I'm scared. I'm so scared." I said frantically, leaning against the wall that was behind me. "What am I going to do, Yixing?"

"I'm coming home." Yixing stated. But I couldn't let that happen, atleast not now.

"Don't. You can't leave. I'll take care of everything and keep you updated." I said and looked over to Hana who looked like she was talking to one of the nurses. "I think they have news for us. I'll call you when I find out what is happening. Okay?"

“Taylor. Please make sure they are safe. And I remember, I love all three of you. There is nothing more important to me in this world. I love you.” Yixing said to me. I heard voices coming from his end and I knew he would have to get off the phone either way.

“I love you too. I’ll call or text you later.” I hung up my phone and put it back in my pocket. Rushing over to Hana and the nurse, I started to get even more worried. My eyes were red and puffy. I was exhausted at this point.

I got over to the two of them, Hana looked happy that I talked to Yixing. But her smiled was wiped away when she saw my saddened expression.

“So any news?” I asked the nurse. I just wanted to see my children and make sure they were alright. When we left the dorm a couple hours ago, they were covered in splotches of red marks. Their crying stopped but they were breathing weirdly.

“They are both in incubators as we speak. But if you come with me, I will let you see them and then the doctor will come see you. I have no authority of revealing their test results.” She spoke slowly and calmly. A wave of relief washed over my body, there were stable and recovering but all I need to know was what caused this. I had no clue of why all this even happened.

“Yes.” I told her as I followed her through the hospital hallways that still crept me out. We turned left and we turned right until I was in front of the glass wall that had showed Layla and Jackson inside the incubators with some cables hooked up to them. I watched their chest slowly raise and then fall. They were breathing normally. Layla still had some red marks on her cheeks but Jackson’s were gone.

“Thank god.” I mumbled to myself.

I continued to watch them sleep as the nurse went to go get my doctor. I was just content watching them sleep peacefully and not crying.

Doorsteps were heard behind me and I turned around to see Dr. Kang. “Hello Taylor. I haven’t seen you in a while.” He tried to joke around with me but truly it wasn’t really the time to do so.

“Just please tell me.” I folded my arms, glancing back to the twins.

“They

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter