Chapter 9

It's Complicated

“How is living with him?” Baekhyun asked. He was staring out the window worriedly, waiting for Chanyeol.

“I have to take care of him, every single minute of the day.” Sehun rubbed his face tiredly. “It’s like taking care of a kid.”

“Why? He doesn’t seem like the type to get in trouble.”

“Every time we’re out, he always seems to feel sick and it ends up with me bringing him home. I’m tired, Baekhyun. Help me.”

Baekhyun sent him a look. “That sounds like a personal problem to me. Don’t bring me into your business.” He went back to staring out the window and a smile appeared when he saw Chanyeol running into the shop.

“Sorry I’m late. Yoora can’t sleep and I barely got her to doze off,” Chanyeol said, breathing heavily. Baekhyun pushed his drink over to Chanyeol and the other took it and gulped it gratefully.

“I still don’t get why you don’t let me help you with her treatment plans,” Baekhyun mumbled, propping his chin on his palm.

“I can take care of her myself, Baekkie. I know you want to help, but it makes me feel burdened.”

Sehun sighed. He put his head on the table and closed his eyes. “Wake me up when we’re leaving.”

~OoO~

“What?” Luhan frowned and closed the lid to his laptop.

“My mother wants to see you at dinner,” Sehun said. “And don’t faint like last time. I’m not dragging you home again.”

“I can’t go. I’m busy,” Luhan replied, he shuffled papers on his desk and used a paperclip to clip the pages together.

Sehun snorted. “What are you busy with?” he asked.

“I have class tomorrow. I can’t stay away from my job forever.”

Sehun leaned against the doorframe and ran a hand through his hair. Trying a different approach, he said softly, “Omma really wants to see you.”

Luhan spun around in his chair. “You’re ing bipolar and I hate it. Now get out of my room.”

Sehun sighed. “It’s just a dinner Luhan. It’ll be an hour, one-and-a-half tops,” he said.

“No.” Luhan stood up and went over to where Sehun was standing to push the other away, slamming the door in Sehun’s face. “I’m being a , I know, but you were one too...” Luhan mumbled to himself. But then he thought about it. He had never thought that Sehun’s hostile attitude towards him was y before, why did that thought suddenly pop up? Luhan frowned and rubbed his temples. He walked to his bed and flopped down, groaning. He pulled the blanket up and covered his head with it, falling into a slumber.

~OoO~

“What am I supposed to do? Omma thinks he’s coming over...” Sehun sighed, leaning back on the wooden chair in the kitchen.

“I don’t know, say he’s not feeling well or something,” Baekhyun replied.

Sehun frowned and switched hands to hold the phone. “I can’t lie to my mom.”

“Aww, Sehun learned so well...” Baekhyun teased.

“Shut up,” Sehun snapped.

“Alright, alright,” Baekhyun said, laughing, “Just tell your mom that Luhan’s really busy and can’t make it.”

“You’re a great help,” Sehun muttered, “Bye.” He ended the call and put the phone on the table. Sehun surveyed the half-empty kitchen. “We need to paint this another color,” he said, frowning at the yellowing paint on the wall. Sehun and Luhan had chosen the house after driving around for two days. It was one of the cheaper houses, but it looked nice on the outside and the rooms were spacious.

“Are we going?” he heard Luhan’s voice ask. Sehun looked up and found Luhan dressed nicely by the stairs.

“What?”

“The dinner...” Luhan said. He gave Sehun a look. “Don’t tell me you’re cancelling because I’m already dressed.”

Sehun’s lips quirked upwards. After a year, Luhan was still the same. He always did what Sehun wanted.

 

“Get out,” Sehun said. He closed the door of his car and walked into the house, leaving Luhan, once again, alone.

Luhan rolled his eyes, crossed his arms, and stayed still.

It wasn’t until Sehun reached the door and was about to ring the doorbell, did he notice that Luhan wasn’t standing next to him. In fact, Luhan wasn’t even out of the car. Sehun huffed and walked down the two steps of the porch and went back to his car. Knocking on the window, he said, “Hey, Luhan. Get out of the car.” Nothing. “Hey!” he said louder. His knuckles hit the tinted window harder and Sehun was getting impatient. Then, a thought struck him. What if Luhan felt nauseous again? Sehun’s eyes widened and he pulled out his keys to unlock the door. What would happen to his car?

Sehun fumbled with the keys and unlocked the door to find Luhan staring at him with an amused expression. “That was pretty funny,” Luhan said, uncrossing his arms and stepping out of the car casually, as if nothing had happened. He gave Sehun a smile (though it was more like a smirk) and started walking towards the house. “Thanks for opening the door for me!”

~OoO~

“Sorry I can’t see you off,” Luhan said.

Zitao shook his head. “It’s fine. You’re busy and have other things to worry about.” He smiled and gave Luhan a hug. “I’ll miss you.” Luhan heard his step-brother clear his throat and Luhan pulled away.

“Bye, Zitao. Bye, hyung.” Luhan waved at the two and watched them step into the car. The car drove down the driveway and disappeared. Luhan sighed and closed the door. It had only been three weeks since he had made up with his brother and now he and his husband had left. Luhan made his way to his room upstairs and closed the door behind him. He sat down at the desk and worked on his next lecture. About half an hour later, his mother came in.

“Luhan?”

Luhan turned around on his chair. “Oh, Omma.”

His mother bit her lip and sat down on Luhan’s bed (to which Luhan grimaced.) “If it’s okay with you and Sehun, I want to stay at your house for a week or so. It’s just so that I can get used to being alone.”

Luhan gulped. He fiddled with his fingers on his lap and put on a fake smile. “It’s fine by me. I’ll ask Sehun today.”

His mother beamed and stood up to hug Luhan. “I feel lonely enough with only Zitao home, but now it’s going to be just me.” Luhan heard his mother sigh. “Thanks honey.”

“No problem.”

 

“You said what?!” There was a frown on Sehun’s face and Luhan chewed on the inside of his mouth.

“It’s just for a week,” Luhan reasoned.

“B-But...” Sehun groaned and leaned back on the chair, his hands covering his face.

“What?” Luhan glared at the man sitting across him and crossed his arms.

Sehun took his hands away from his face. “That means you have to move to my room,” he said.

Luhan shrugged. “It’s one week. I’ll do it for my mother.” He stood up from his seat and left the room.

~OoO~

“This...is not normal.”

Sehun sent the man sitting across him a look. “What is normal?”

Baekhyun shrugged. “I don’t know.” Baekhyun leaned forward on his seat and supported his arms by putting his elbows on the table. “But what I do know is that what you do to Luhan is not normal.” Baekhyun pointed an accusing finger at the other. “What kind of person is that cruel?”

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Yes, continue about how much of a rude person I am and how I should die in a hole,” he said sarcastically.

Baekhyun sighed and leaned back on the chair. “I’m not going to, Sehun,” he said, his tone surprisingly soft, which made Sehun confused. “I’m just saying that you should treat him well. You are married after all, and Luhan isn’t a bad person.”

Sehun turned his head to look outside and his dry lips. “I want him to forgive me, but when I talk to him, everything comes out wrong.”

“Then just apologize. You’re not the type to beat around the bush. Just say sorry.”

Sehun turned back to look at Baekhyun. “It’s not that simple hyung. Nowadays, it seems like he doesn’t want to forgive me. How can I make someone forgive me when they don’t want to?”

Sehun wasn’t very smart when it came to love.  

~OoO~

“Take the day off. We’ll bring in someone to replace you.”

. “But it’s Friday,” he argued. The principal sent him an annoyed look. Luhan sighed, but nodded “Thank you,” he said. He picked up his laptop in one hand and a pile of papers in the other. He left the staffroom and walked through the empty hallways, occasionally peeking in one of the classrooms. When he got to the entrance of the school, he found Minyoung walking down the stairs with at least five textbooks in her arms.

“Mr. Lu?” she asked.

“I won’t be in class today,” Luhan said. “Go home afterschool alright?”  Luhan smiled at the girl and opened the door by leaning on it. He put the stuff in the seat next to him and drove home.

 

“Omma, you’re fine with sleeping here right?” Luhan fixed the blanket for the umpteenth time and his mother chuckled.

“It’s fine, Luhan. Don’t worry about me too much.” She patted his hand and ushered him out. “Go to sleep.”

Luhan made his way to his room (not the one he was going to share with Sehun) and closed the door behind him. He sat down at his desk and picked up the cold cup of coffee that was placed there ten minutes ago. He opened his laptop lid and began to work.

~OoO~

Sehun walked past Luhan’s door and peeked inside, finding light through the crack at the bottom of the door. He found Luhan sitting at his desk with a cup of coffee and his laptop. “Hey, why are you still up?” he asked, opening the door slightly.

“I’m dealing with my personal life, leave me alone,” was the cold reply he received. Sehun closed his eyes and let out a shaky breath. It hurt him a little inside to hear such a sharp tone from someone like Luhan. He heard the clicking of the keys on the keyboard and watched as Luhan occasionally sipped the coffee.

“It’s three in the morning.”

“So?”

Sehun sighed and stepped in the room, moving to stand a few feet behind Luhan’s chair. “Your mom’s here. You should be asleep in my room.” Luhan said nothing. “And why are you drinking coffee right now? You’re not going to be able to fall asleep.” He heard the other sigh and saw the cup being pushed away, but Luhan continued to type. “Luhan stop this,” he said.

Luhan slammed his hands on the keyboard, random letters popping up on the screen. “Why do I have to listen to you? When I tell you things aren’t good for you, you tell me to screw off and say that you’re dealing with personal . But when you tell me to do things, I have to listen. Why?” Luhan hissed.

Sehun was taken aback. He had never seen this side of Luhan before. The Lu Han he knew was quiet, calm, and timid. What had happened in the span of twenty hours? “Luhan, please stop. It’s not good for your health, staying up like this.”

Luhan spun around in his chair and glared at Sehun. “ my health. It’s not like you care anyway.” Sehun gave him a pleading look. Luhan’s teeth clenched together and his hands turned into fists. “I hate you so much right now.” He shut the laptop lid forcefully and asked, “Are you happy?” in a mocking tone.

Sehun sighed and walked to the desk, reaching for Luhan’s wrist in one hand and the coffee cup in the other. “Let’s get to bed.” He pulled Luhan out of the room and left him in the hallway as he went downstairs to put away the cup of coffee. When he came back, he found Luhan in his bed with the blanket over his head in the dimly lit room. Sehun climbed into the bed. He found that there was a large gap between him and Luhan. “You’re going to fall off,” he said.

“You’d be happy you don’t have to sleep with me then,” Luhan replied.

Sehun sighed. “I...I don’t hate you anymore, Luhan,” he mumbled, the words barely coherent. He stared at his husband’s body that was covered by the blanket.

“Yea, but you don’t love me either,” Luhan said in a small voice.

Sehun gulped when he recognized it as the voice Luhan had when he was hurt or worried. There was an awkward silence and Sehun slowly reached a hand out to pull the blanket away. “You’re going to suffocate.” Sehun gave Luhan a small smile, to which Luhan gave him a judging look and turned away.

“Don’t act nice.”

There was a pang of guilt in Sehun’s heart. He bit his lip and turned around to turn the lamp off. “Goodnight Luhan.”

Silence.


I have a question for you readers. Would you hate me if it turned out that Luhan had a very serious disease and died? (Trolling with Chenchen)

Thanks for commenting, subscribing, and upvoting! Much love~