Chapter 14

It's Complicated

“You agreed to what?!”

Luhan sighed and rolled his eyes. “You’re not going to be home anyway. Plus, it’s boring at home alone.”

Sehun huffed and blew his bangs out of his face. “But you should have told me about it before you said ‘yes.’”

“You don’t tell me things and do them anyway,” Luhan snapped. “If you’re going to be an about it, I’ll watch Soyoung at my mother’s house.” Luhan stomped away and slammed the door to his room. He flopped down on his bed and laid there, knowing that sooner or later, Sehun will come knocking on the door, telling Luhan to do whatever he wanted to.

“Luhan?” Sehun’s voice was followed by light knocking on the wooden door.

“What?” Luhan asked, his tone cold.

“Just watch the kid-”

“Soyoung,” Luhan corrected.

“Just watch Soyoung here.”

Luhan smiled triumphantly. “No, I’ll watch her at my mother’s house,” he said.

“Luhan, just watch her here. It’s fine.”

Even though he knew he had won, he still wanted to poke fun at Sehun. “But you said you didn’t want her here.”

“I was being irrational...wait, I never said that.” There was a short silence and then a loud, exasperated, “Luhan!” Luhan giggled and buried his face in a pillow.

 

“I’ll be home a little after lunchtime. If anything happens, you call me right away.”

Luhan raised an eyebrow. “And what are you going to do? You let an eight-year-kid push you around, can you even watch her?”

Sehun frowned. “Details,” he scoffed.

“Important ones.” Luhan picked Soyoung up from the floor without even breaking eye contact with Sehun. “Bye.” He smirked at Sehun before turning on his heels and walking to the kitchen.

~OoO~

“Actually, I think he’s right,” Chanyeol mumbled.

Sehun shot him a glare. “Hey!”

“Don’t ‘hey!’ my boyfriend. He’s older than you.” Baekhyun sat up, picked up a magazine off the table, smacked Sehun on the head, and then laid back down on Chanyeol’s lap.

“I’m just saying. You’re pretty hopeless when it comes to taking care of kids,” Chanyeol said. He looked down at Baekhyun with a smile. “Remember that time he tried babysitting your sister’s five-year-old? Oh my god, that was horrible.” Sehun watched the two with an annoyed look as they burst out in laughter.

“Guys!”

Baekhyun turned to Sehun with a large smile on his face, while Chanyeol coughing and laughing at the same time (which made him sound like he was choking). “Sorry, Sehun-ah,” Baekhyun said, using his hand to cover his smile. “What were you saying?” He sat up and drummed his fingers on the table, while the other hand was still covering his mouth.

“You guys are horrible friends,” Sehun muttered, standing up and leaving Baekhyun’s house. Before he closed the door, he heard Baekhyun and Chanyeol fall into another fit of really loud, and really annoying, laughter. He slammed the door closed behind him.

 

Sehun stared at the little girl standing in front of him. Soyoung had her arms crossed and she had a frown on her face. “I don’t like you,” she said. Sehun rolled his eyes. He was very, very close to saying, “I don’t like you either,” but he knew that Soyoung would most likely end up crying and Luhan would have to calm her down.

Instead, he put on a fake smile. “Is there anything you want to do?” he asked, his tone dripping with fake enthusiasm.

Soyoung narrowed her eyes. “I don’t like you. I want Uncle Luhan.” She stomped her foot on the floor, as if to emphasize her point.

“Well Uncle Luhan’s sleeping because he has a headache,” Sehun said. “Most likely because of you,” he mumbled under his breath.

“He was fine before you came home.”

Sehun sighed, exasperated. “Is there anything you want to do?” he repeated. Nothing in his 25 years of living had ever made Sehun this frustrated before. How could a kid be so annoying?

“I want Uncle Luhan!” Soyoung flopped down on the floor and kicked her legs and flailed her arms. Sehun heard the door from upstairs creak open and groaned.

“Sehun? What happened?” Luhan asked. Luhan was rubbing his temples but then caught the sight of Soyoung on the floor and immediately rushed over to her.

“Uncle Luhan!” Soyoung jumped into his arms and Luhan almost fell backwards, but was able to steady himself.

“What happened, Soyoung-ah?” Luhan gave Sehun a questioning look, and the latter shrugged.

“Mean uncle won’t let me play with you!” She pointed at Sehun with a shaky finger and Luhan let out a laugh.

“I’ll play with you, Soyoung. And that’s Uncle Sehun, not Mean Uncle.” Luhan took Soyoung out of the living room and Sehun stared at the spot Soyoung was once throwing her temper tantrum and cursed.

~OoO~

Luhan placed the bowl of macaroni and cheese in front of Soyoung and handed her a spoon. “Your parents will be here soon to pick you up,” he said. “Let’s finish before they get here, alright?”

Soyoung gave him a toothy smile and dug in. Luhan ruffled her hair and pulled a chair out to sit down. He watched her eat, and took a napkin to wipe . Luhan found that taking care of an eight-year-old wasn’t as hard as he thought it would be, but still hard. It was enjoyable, but definitely tiring. If it wasn’t for Sehun coming home after lunch, Luhan would have fainted due to his headache. Too bad his sleep only lasted fifteen minutes.

Luhan drummed his fingers on the table. He wouldn’t mind quitting his job and adopting a kid to take care of at home. The only problem was Sehun. Unlike himself, Sehun was horrible at interacting with people under the age of 20, which was a definite no-no if Luhan wanted to raise a kid. And even if Sehun wasn’t that bad with kids, he would definitely say no.

“Uncle Luhan?” Luhan jumped at the sudden voice.

“Yea?”

“I’m done,” Soyoung said, showing the empty bowl to Luhan. He smiled and took it from her.

“Go wash your mouth and then we’ll watch TV while we wait for your parents, okay?” Luhan watched as the little girl jump off the chair and run to the bathroom to wash the cheese off her face. He went to the sink and the water.

“Luhan.”

“Hmm.”

“When is the kid-”

“Soyoung.”

Soyoung, leaving?”

Luhan turned off the water and turned around, leaning on the counter with his wet hands supporting himself. “Does she really bother you that much?” he asked tiredly. Sehun eyed him and then nodded. Luhan sighed. “Her parents should be arriving in about 15 minutes.” Luhan turned back to the sink and finished washing the bowl and spoon. After he dried his hands and turned, he found Sehun staring at him. “What?”

“Nothing.” Sehun walked out of the kitchen and Luhan heard him start to go upstairs.

“Sehun,” Luhan called. Sehun’s footsteps stopped. “What if I told you I wanted to adopt?”

The footsteps continued up the stairs.

 

Luhan sat down on his chair and waited until all the students were out of the class before standing up to close the door to his classroom. He leaned against the door and sighed. His eyelids slowly closed and he sat down on the ground. Luhan was so tired. It was Wednesday, the day he hated the most. He sat like that until he heard a light tapping on the door and a muffled, “Mr. Lu?”

Luhan’s eyelids fluttered open and he stood up. He opened the door and found Minyoung standing there. “Minyoung?” he asked, opening the door wider and letting her in the classroom.

“There’s a man looking for you.” Minyoung glanced back at the doorframe and Sehun stepped into the classroom. “He was wandering around before I saw him,” she whispered.

“Oh, alright. I guess I can’t stay after school today. Go home alright?” Luhan smiled fondly at Minyoung before taking Sehun’s hand and pulling him to his desk. “Why are you suddenly here?” Luhan asked, packing his things into a backpack.

“My parents want to talk to us, and my father told me to come pick you up.” Sehun glanced at the watch on his wrist and added, “And you took the bus this morning.”

“Alright,” Luhan picked up the backpack and put it on his back.

“I’ll hold it,” Sehun said. He tugged at the strap on Luhan’s shoulder and Luhan gave him a confused look before shrugging it off. The two walked out of the classroom, Luhan locking the classroom, and then Sehun led Luhan to his car.

The ride was quiet until Sehun stopped at a red light. “You want to adopt?” Sehun asked.

Luhan turned and looked at Sehun. “Yea, why?”

“Let’s talk to our parents about it today. If they’re okay with it, we’ll go to the orphanage tomorrow.” Sehun glanced at Luhan with a small smile on his face. “If that’s what you want.”

The corners of Luhan’s lips quirked upwards. “I’d like that.” 


I'm thinking of taking a break on this story so that I could update my other fanfic. That would mean that the updates would be less frequent, but I'll try to update at least once a month or so. (And I have school in 4 days. :P)

Leave comments please~ (I demand 15 new comments for an update)