Chapter 26

It's Complicated

So, because of the very...dramatic chapter ahead, I have chosen to not give any spoilers while replying to your comments. I'll only reply with something simple, maybe a heart, a face, or just a 'thanks for reading'. Sorry for the late update too, I have finals coming up and I have to study 213 terms for this one class, so it gets really hectic. Thanks for being paitent though! 

And I'm not really sure if you guys know this (I don't think that you guys actually care, LOL) but I post snippets of the chapters I'm writing on my Tumblr before I post it. So if you want to check it out, click here. Go to the sidebar and click, "Fanfic Stuff" and then click on "Spoilers" on "It's Complicated."


The ground was ripped from under his feet and Luhan felt like he was falling, falling, falling into an endless hole. He couldn’t scream for help; no one was there to help him. He closed his eyes and let the feeling of air pushing up against him engulf him. He felt so suffocated, the hole was getting smaller and smaller and he couldn’t get free, no matter what he did. Looking down wasn’t an option; his acrophobia would get the better of him. Luhan clenched his fists together and braced himself for the inevitable impact that would happen. He would die, bones crushed into millions of pieces and blood splattered everywhere, and no one would know. He could feel the bottom nearing like a sixth sense.

Luhan began to panic. There was something bothering him, something itching in his chest. Luhan’s breathing became more rapid, coming out as sharp noises. Little whines came from his throat as he thought of potential things that could be bothering him at such a time like this.

That’s when it hit him. He didn’t want to die yet. There were so many more things for him to do, that he had yet to. The list could go on forever. Cuddling with Sehun, hugging him, telling him things, texting each other during work, embarrassing each other in front of their friends, finally telling their parents that they were together before. There were so many things.

So he screamed. He screamed Sehun’s name. He screamed for Sehun to save him.

 

Luhan woke up panting and sweating. He saw Sehun staring at him and he breathed a sigh of relief.

“Are you okay?” Sehun asked. He brought a hand up to brush the beads of sweat away from Luhan’s forehead away. “I tried waking you up, but you kept thrashing around.” Sehun handed him a glass of water and Luhan’s sweaty palms fogged up the glass once he made contact with it. Luhan gulped down the water and set the glass on the drawer by the bed.

“Thanks,” Luhan said, settling back down.

Sehun followed suit and covered his body with the blanket. “You want to talk about it?” he asked.

Luhan sees a flash of red in his vision as he remembers his dream. “Not really.” Luhan to his side so that his back was facing Sehun. “It’s kind of personal.”

“I know you, Luhan, a lot actually. There’s nothing you can’t tell me.” Sehun sounded so caring and a part of Luhan really wanted to tell him, to spill out all his secrets and thoughts, but the stronger part stopped him. His trust wasn’t going to be handed out freely anymore. Especially not after all the things he had been through the past two years.

“I don’t think I’m at that point yet,” Luhan mumbled. He closed his eyes and tried to force other thoughts out of his mind. He just wanted to sleep. Nightmares didn’t help his already stress filled schedule.

“Oh,” Sehun said. Luhan heard the slight disappointment in Sehun’s tone. But there was also something else. Something Luhan knew but couldn’t put a finger on it. “That’s alright. I’ll wait until you’re ready.”

“Thanks.” Luhan felt sleepiness overcome him and he succumbed. But before he fell into the abyss, he heard Sehun say something. It sounded like, “I love you.”

~OoO~

Sehun picked Luhan up and slung him over his shoulder. Luhan was lighter than Sehun thought he would be and it worried him.

“Oh Sehun. Put me down this instant.” Luhan’s voice was slow and menacing, but Sehun only laughed.

“Nope.” He enunciated the last syllable with a pop of his lips and smiled. “You’re going to get fed because you’re so light.” He felt Luhan punch his back and he whined. “That hurt!”

“And I’ll make it hurt even more if you don’t put me down!” When Sehun did nothing, Luhan tugged at the tuft of hair on the back of Sehun’s head. “Put me down!” Luhan was plopped onto the sofa and he immediately picked up a pillow and threw it at Sehun.

“                ! Never do that again!”

Sehun made a face and left the living room. He came back with a cup of strawberry yogurt in his hands and a metal spoon in the other. He peeled the plastic lid off and stuck the spoon inside as he the lid clean.

“Give me some,” Luhan said. He beckoned Sehun over with his hands, but Sehun ignored his words, going back into the kitchen to throw the lid away. “Hey                !”

“You didn’t want to eat and you hit me because I said you were light.”

“You want me to be fat then?!” Luhan argued. He aimed another pillow at his husband’s figure, but Sehun turned around so that the yogurt wouldn’t spill.

“Rather you with a tiny bit of extra fat on your body than skinny like a toothpick,” Sehun said simply.

“Yah, are you calling me a toothpick?!”

~OoO~

His headaches are getting worse. Luhan leaned back on the seat of his car and pressed a hand to his forehead. Every time it pulsed, it felt like someone hit his head with a hammer. Somehow, he managed to unlock his phone and hold down the number 1. There were a few rings and then the person picked up.

“Hello?”

“Sehun, help me.”

For some reason, the situation seemed so familiar to him.

“Where are you?”

“Outside of the school. I’m in my car.”

“Stay there. I’m at work, so I’ll be there in five minutes. Hold on.”

Sehun didn’t sound so panicked this time though. Luhan let out a harsh breath with he felt something wet on his upper lip. He raised a shaky hand to touch his lip and when he looked at it, his eyes widened.

Red.

 

Luhan vaguely saw the door open through his dizziness, but he heard Sehun’s fast talking on the phone and then minutes later, the sound of a siren. Sehun dabbed at his nose and Luhan tried to open his eyes.

“Luhan, just hold on. We’re taking you to the hospital, you’ll be okay.” Sehun reassured him. His voice was shaky, like those words were meant to reassure himself instead of Luhan.

Luhan felt himself being lifted off of his seat and put into a soft mattress. He heard faint murmurs through the pounding of blood in his ears. He heard his name in multiple sentences and he lifted his head to try to see who it was.

His head was forced back down onto the bed again and he groaned. Luhan was put into the back of the emergency vehicle and Sehun climbed in with him. He heard the door slam closed and he felt Sehun’s warm hands envelope his own.

“Just hold on. You have to hold on okay?”

Luhan tried nodding, but his head hurt too much to do anything. “Yea,” he croaked. He felt Sehun’s light touches on the back of his hand and the corners of his lips tugged upwards. His eyelids became heavy and he closed them.

“No, Luhan. Open your eyes. Luhan? Luhan!”

~OoO~

“You gave me a near heart attack, you know that?” Sehun trailed his fingers up and down Luhan’s thigh and he eyed the IV drip in Luhan’s arm. “You were malnourished. I told you to eat more,” he scolded lightly.

Luhan grabbed Sehun’s hand. “I’m sorry. I made you worry.”

“Your mom’s outside. I’ll call her in.” Sehun turned his head away and pulled his hand from Luhan’s. He had a feeling something bad was going to happen, but he didn’t know what. He was so confused. What could have caused Luhan to become so weak? He left the room and nodded to the nurse. He bowed to Luhan’s mother and looked towards the door. “He’s awake. You can go in now.”

She stayed still. “Do you know why he’s like this?” Her voice was quiet, as if daring him to answer.

“No,” Sehun answered.

“He has a sickness. Remember the last time he came to the hospital?” Sehun took a moment to remember and then nodded. “The doctor told me he was going to survive if anything drastic happened to him. That meant any stress, trouble, depression, things like that.” She turned her gaze from the door to Sehun’s eyes. “Do you know what you caused him? You gave him everything I said on that list. I never should have let you marry him. I never should have married him off in the first place,” she spat. There were tears in her eyes when she said her next words. “I’m not going to lose him. If I have to break ties with your company for that, so be it.”

~OoO~

“I’m fine. I can walk.” Luhan shook Sehun’s hand off and opened the door to Sehun’s car. He sat down and put his seatbelt on. Sehun appeared in the seat next to him seconds later and they started off. There was color in Luhan’s cheeks again. After two weeks of hospital food and IV drips, Luhan was finally “healthy” enough to be discharged. He was given a firm scolding from his mother and Minseok, and then Yifan and Zitao from over the phone. Even Sehun’s parents came to visit him.

“Hey, something bothering you?”

Luhan blinked. “Oh, nothing.”

“You were thinking too hard for it to be nothing, Luhan.”

“I was just thinking about us,” Luhan lied.

“Us?” Sehun coasted to a stop at the red light and looked at Luhan.

“Yea. Where I would be without you.” Something flashed in Sehun’s eyes. “I’d be dead.”

“Don’t say that.” Sehun gripped the steering wheel tightly, his knuckles turning white. “Don’t say it.”

Luhan has a feeling there’s something Sehun’s hiding, but he doesn’t say anything. He’s not stupid. He knows that there’s something wrong with him and that Sehun’s being affected by that.

But that’s it. He knows too little to put anything else together.

~OoO~

Sehun heard a crash from upstairs. His spoon dropped from his hand and it clattered in the bowl. He strained his ears for any sound, but when he didn’t get any, he shot out of his chair and ran up the stairs.

Sehun checked the bathroom first, that was where Luhan was when he left for breakfast ten minutes ago, but the door was open and it was empty. He checked his room next, but there was no sign of Luhan. He checked Luhan’s room last and when he finally got the door to open, his heart dropped to his stomach. The room was a mess, papers scattered everywhere, dropped from an open cardboard box. But then there was Luhan.

Lying in a pool of his own blood.