Chapter 6

It's Complicated

“Hey Jongin.”

“Hey, Kyungsoo,” Jongin said. He smiled as he watched the other sit down in front of him. “How was your week so far?”

Kyungsoo shrugged. “I shot off some more heads and stayed home eating ramyun until I got sick.”

“Sounds like fun.”

“It was.”

Jongin let out a laugh and Kyungsoo smiled. “Invite me next time you do that okay?”

“Sure.”

Jongin pushed the second cup of coffee over to Kyungsoo. “I got a discount because my friend works here.”

Kyungsoo picked up the paper cup and held it with both hands, the warmth from the recently brewed coffee seeping into his skin. He took a sip and put the drink down. It was a bit bitter for his taste, but he liked it. It was different.

“So, Kyungsoo.”

The said looked up. “Yes?”

“I was thinking of watching a movie today. You want to come with?”

Kyungsoo bit his lip, contemplating. “Sure...” he said after a long pause.

Jongin smiled. He liked Kyungsoo, in a friendly way of course. Though Jongin still wasn’t over Sehun, he liked that fact that Kyungsoo made his insides tingly. And even though he still loved Sehun with all his heart, he felt that Do Kyungsoo was going to be someone he wanted by his side for a very, very long time.

~OoO~

“Alright, class dismissed,” Luhan said. He wiped the board with an eraser and listened to the chatter of the students get quieter and quieter until the only sound he could hear were the echoing sounds of footsteps.

“Mr. Lu?”

Luhan turned and found his one of his best students standing in front of his desk. Han Minyoung was the only student was paid attention in class and Luhan soon found out that she opted to stay afterschool doing things for the teachers than going home because of family issues.  

“Yes Minyoung?” Luhan set the eraser down and sat down on his chair, folding his hands on his desk.

“Do you need help with anything?” she asked.

Luhan smiled. “Did you do your homework in class again?”

The girl smiled sheepishly and nodded.

Luhan shook his head but took a stack of papers and handed it to her. “You can help me correct these.” Minyoung took the pile and sat herself at the desk on front of Luhan’s. Luhan watched as she busied herself with checking the answers and crossing out the ones that are wrong.

Luhan felt sympathetic for Minyoung. As the oldest child in her family, she had to take care of her four younger siblings, who were not in school. She had told Luhan that her father was dead and her mother was never home, juggling three jobs to support the family. In a way, the girl reminded Luhan of himself. Father dead, mother never home, it was all too familiar.

“Mr. Lu?”

“Hmm?” Luhan pretended to be scrolling through his laptop and working on something.

“Do you think you can help me?”

Luhan heard her pen stop moving and he looked up to find Minyoung looking down, chewing on her lower lip. “What do you need help with, Minyoung?”

“Do you think you can help me find a job?”

Luhan blinked. “Did something happen at home?” he asked. He closed his laptop lid and stared at Minyoung.

“My mother lost one of her jobs, the one that paid the most,” Minyoung mumbled.

Luhan nodded slowly. “I’ll try, Minyoung. I can’t guarantee anything though.”

Minyoung smiled. “Thank you Mr. Lu.”

“You’re welcome, Minyoung.”

~OoO~

“Why am I here? I’m just third-wheeling you guys,” Sehun grumbled. “And you made me your shopping cart too.”

“It’s because you need to get out of that damn office and spend some time with your best friend,” Baekhyun said.

“And his boyfriend,” Chanyeol added.

Baekhyun nodded. “Your best friend and his boyfriend.”

Sehun sighed and trudged alongside Baekhyun and Chanyeol, who were holding hands. “This is so awkward...”

“God Sehun. I’m tired of you whining like a kid. If you want to leave, go.” Sehun’s face lit up and he shoved Baekhyun’s shopping bags into Chanyeol’s arm.

“Bye guys!”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and took the bags off Chanyeol’s arms. “Sometimes, I wonder why I’m his friend.”

Chanyeol chuckled, taking the bags back and holding them with his left hand, the other, grabbing Baekhyun’s. “It’s cause you’re a great person Baekkie.”

~OoO~

“Why are you here?” Sehun snapped.

Luhan sighed. “I don’t want to be here, Sehun-sshi,” he replied, with added emphasis on the ‘sshi.’

Sehun groaned and ruffled his hair with a hand. He let Luhan in and slammed the door after him. “Sit somewhere. I’m ordering take-out.” He left the room and Luhan sat down, cross-legged, on the carpeted floor. Luhan played with the fuzzy strings and a small smile grew on his face when he remembered that he chose it out for Sehun when the other first bought the apartment.

“Omma, why is he here?!” he heard Sehun’s voice yell. The door to Sehun’s room was slightly ajar and Luhan could see Sehun staring outside with the phone next to his ear. “I know, but still! I don’t want to see him here every day!”  

Luhan stood up from his spot and went over to Sehun’s room. He knocked on the door lightly and when Sehun turned around. He whispered, “Tell your mom I’m not feeling well. I’ll leave.” Sehun frowned and Luhan closed the door, listening for the click before walking to the front and putting on his shoes. He left the apartment complex and he made his way to his car. Halfway there, he heard footsteps behind him and he stopped.

“Are you really not feeling well?” Sehun asked.

“It’s a lie. I know you don’t want me here.” Luhan took out his keys and unlocked his door. He sat down on the seat and closed the door. Sehun followed him and knocked on the tinted glass windows.

“Hey!”

Luhan sighed and his car, rolling the windows down. “What?”

“I ordered already. You have to stay because I can’t finish all that food.” 

“I’m not staying. I don’t want to hear you complain about me.”

“Lu-”

Luhan rolled up the window and sped off, leaving Sehun dumbfounded.

~OoO~

“Karma’s a isn’t it?” Sehun glared at Baekhyun and huffed. “I’m just saying! You were a bastard to him, now it’s coming back to bite you in the .”

“God, Baekhyun can you shut your trap?”

Baekhyun scoffed and flicked Sehun’s forehead. “Aish...sometimes I wonder why I’m friends with you. You’re so rude.”

Sehun frowned and picked up a piece of chicken and ate it. “Shut up and eat.” Baekhyun gave Sehun a look before taking the bowl of jjajangmyeon and tearing the plastic wrap off the top.

“Can I call Chanyeol over?” Baekhyun mumbled, taking a napkin to wipe the sauce off his mouth.

“Do what you want. I’m not going to finish this food anyway,” Sehun replied.

Baekhyun put his chopsticks down and took out his phone, dialing Chanyeol’s number. After a few rings, the other picked up. “Chanyeol?”

“Hey, Baekkie. It’s kind of a bad time right now,” Chanyeol said quickly. “She’s coughing like crazy, and I need to run to buy her some more medicine.”

“Do you want me to get it? I can drop by in five minutes.”

“No, it’s fine. You continue whatever you’re doing. Bye!”

Baekhyun sighed and he turned off his phone. Sehun glanced up from his chicken drumstick and raised an eyebrow. “What happened?” he asked, his mouth full.

Baekhyun made a face and shook his head. “Sister.” Sehun nodded and went back to eating. “Sehun?”

“What?”

“Have you been talking to Jongin lately?”

Sehun’s chewing slowed down and soon he was not chewing at all. “Joonmyeon hyung told me to leave Jongin alone for a few weeks before talking to him.”

 The rest of the meal was eaten in silence.

 

 “We’re having you and Luhan move in together!” Sehun’s jaw dropped as his mother squealed in delight.

“Omma why?!” Sehun yelled. He pulled at his hair and sighed.

“Oh Sehun, don’t talk to your mother like that!” his father scolded. Sehun pursed his lips together.

“I’m leaving,” Sehun said. He stood up and grabbed his sweater.

“Oh Sehun!”

Sehun ignored his father’s voice and left the house. He drove to his apartment and buried himself in his room, blanket over his head. He felt his phone ring and he took it out. He uncovered himself threw the phone against the wall, the screen cracked into pieces and the screen black. He huffed and flopped back down on the bed. Sehun his side and stared at the picture of him and Jongin on his bedside table. He took the picture frame and held it to his chest, closing his eyes and falling asleep.

 

“Oh Sehun! Do you know how worried I was?!”

Sehun flinched at Baekhyun’s loud voice and told his friend to quiet down. “We’re in a public place,” Sehun hissed.

“ it! I’m about to kill you Oh Sehun. How dare you not pick up when I called you? Chanyeol heard Luhan talking with his brother-in-law at the café and told me. How come it had to come from him, not you?!”

“Baekhyun please, I’m getting a headache from your screaming.”

“Good! You deserve it.”