Chapter 12

It's Complicated

Sehun stared worriedly at the door, wringing his hands together in his lap. Not knowing what else to do, he had driven Luhan to the hospital and called Luhan’s mother to inform her of her son’s predicament. Sehun had been sitting there for half an hour already, and he still didn’t know what was wrong with Luhan, nor did he know the current status of his husband’s well-being.

Sehun heard footsteps coming down the empty hallway and looked up from his hands to find his mother-in-law running, in heels, towards him. He stood up and helped steady her. She was shaking and pale.

“Is he okay?” she asked, gripping Sehun’s arm. “Did the doctor say anything?” Sehun shook his head and helped Luhan’s mother sit down. She buried her face in her hands and her frame shook as she began to cry. “I’m a horrible mother. I can’t even take care of my own son. He’s always been like this, but I’ve never done anything.”

Sehun sat awkwardly next to the sobbing woman and eyed the door again. He breathed a sigh of relief when it opened and a doctor came out.

“Are you Lu Han’s family?” he asked.

“I’m his husband, she’s his mother,” Sehun said, standing.

“He’s awake, there’s nothing wrong with him at all. You can go in. Mrs. Lu, may I please talk to you?” Sehun thanked the doctor and watched his mother-in-law walked down the tiled hallway before pushing open the door and stepping inside. He found Luhan laying down, staring at the ceiling with his fingers moving.

“Luhan?” Sehun asked. Luhan’s eyes moved from the ceiling to Sehun and he made a move to sit up, but Sehun stopped him. “Don’t. Just lay down.” Sehun pulled a chair next to Luhan’s bed and sat down. “You okay?”

Luhan hummed. “Thanks,” he said in a quiet voice. He was staring at the ceiling again, and Sehun had a small urge to engulf the other in a hug.

“No problem.” Sehun spent a few moments staring at Luhan’s tired and pale face and then asked, “Do you want anything?”

Luhan shook his head. “You should go back to work. I’m fine here,” he said. “Thanks again.”

“I’m not leaving you Luhan. I brought you here and I should be here until you leave.”  Sehun gave him a small smile. “Take your time getting better. I have all the time in the world.”

~OoO~

 “Are you 100% sure that you don’t need anything?” Sehun asked.

Luhan sighed. “Yes, I’m sure. Just go to work.”

Sehun gave him one more concerned look before leaving the house. Luhan leaned back on the couch and took a pillow and held it to his chest. His mother left earlier that morning and Luhan was now getting used to living in a huge house alone for the first time. Sehun had called the school and told them that Luhan wasn’t doing well and needed a week off. Luhan had thrown a small fit, slammed the door in Sehun’s face while screaming profanities and saying that he was a control freak who didn’t let him do things that he wanted. Sehun seemed angry for a few minutes before finding out that Luhan had gotten another small headache from yelling and forgave Luhan immediately.

Luhan reached to the table and picked up the remote. He flipped through the channels and then turned the TV off when he found nothing good to watch. Luhan stood up and walked to Sehun’s room. He began to take his clothes off the hangers and carried them to his room, dumping them on the bed. He made two more trips, moving all his things from Sehun’s room to his own. He was a bit reluctant to move back, but he had a feeling that that was the right thing to do after his mother left.

Luhan sat down on the chair, tired. The job wasn’t strenuous; it was because Luhan was feeling dizzy. After a day in the hospital, he was discharged and was brought home. The morning he left, the doctor met with him and told him to tell someone whenever he was feeling dizzy or having a headache. The doctor had said that his next headache would be worse than the previous one.

Luhan picked up his phone from his desk and texted Minseok.

Can you come over and help me?

Minseok’s reply came a few minutes after.

Sure.

Luhan put the phone back on the desk and closed his eyes. The dizziness slowly went away and he opened his eyes again. Luhan carefully walked downstairs and waited at the door for Minseok. He arrived a few minutes later.

“What did you need help with?” Minseok asked while taking off his shoes.

“Housekeeping?” Luhan answered meekly.

Minseok sent him a look. “I have my own house to take care of, Luhan.”

~OoO~

Sehun had a very strong urge to tell Luhan off for moving his things back to his room without telling him. “Lu-”

“Shh, I’m watching,” Luhan said, holding a hand at Sehun’s face, his eyes glued to the TV screen.

“Luhan-”

“Stop talking! I can’t hear!”

Sehun looked offended, then scoffed. He went back upstairs and closed the door to his room. The room didn’t look destroyed, but there was a large difference from the current one and the one from yesterday. It seemed emptier. The bed was made, something Luhan did every morning, and the bedside table was cleared of Luhan’s belongings. Even the closet seemed emptier, and Sehun had 100 suits that looked exactly the same (not really).

But maybe this is karma, maybe Baekhyun was right. He left Luhan for a stupid reason, and now it’s coming back to haunt him. He’s falling back in love with the man he left, but the man no longer loves him.

Why was life so complicated?

~OoO~

“There’s a huge event my father’s planning for the opening of the new hotel. Can you come?” Sehun asked, while shoveling rice into his mouth.

Luhan frowned, but nodded. “Don’t eat like that, I’m losing my appetite,” he said. He picked at the rice in his bowl and his lips. Luhan didn’t feel like eating. It was probably because he finished the tub of mint chocolate ice cream half an hour before.

“It’s not my fault you ate my ice cream like it was the last thing on earth,” Sehun retorted. He picked up his spoon and took some soup, pouring it in Luhan’s bowl. “Just eat a little. You’re going to wake up in the middle of the night and walk to the convenience store, I know it.” He watched as Luhan chewed his lip and picked up his spoon, scooping some rice and soup and putting it into his mouth. “It used to be the opposite, remember? You used to be the one who told me to eat, while I picked at my food.”

Luhan’s chewing gradually slowed down and he swallowed. “Yea, things were a lot better back then,” he mumbled to himself.

“Huh?”

“Nothing,” Luhan said quickly. He looked up at Sehun and gave him a small nod. “Just go back to eating.”

There were a few moments of silence and then Sehun’s voice cut through the awkward atmosphere. “Luhan, you have rice on your face.” Luhan looked up and found Sehun pointing at his chin. Luhan flushed and his hand rubbed at his face. “Like right...down more...yea, right there.” Sehun smiled and Luhan felt his heart skip a beat. He missed moments like this.

 

“Luhan?”

Luhan spun around in his chair and found Sehun standing by the door. “Yea?”

Sehun scratched his head. “I know you don’t like sleeping on other people’s beds, but if you want, there’s room.” He gave Luhan a hopeful look, and Luhan opened his mouth to speak, but no words came. A small smile spread across Sehun’s face. “I’ll take that as a yes.” He left his spot at the door and Luhan stared at the spot with his mouth still open. What just happened? Sehun told him he could sleep with him? A grin grew on Luhan’s face and he spun around on the chair happily. Sehun was making it very hard to not like him, and Luhan’s heart couldn’t take it anymore.