Chapter 4

It's Complicated

Sehun was sitting in a café with Baekhyun across from him. He drummed his fingers on the table, one hand propping up his chin, and was staring out the window with a sad look on his face. Baekhyun watched him and took a sip of his drink.

“You okay?” he asked.

Sehun shook his head. “No. Everything’s going wrong. Jongin and I were doing so well, and then happened.” Sehun pulled at his hair and looked down at the table.

“Luhan isn’t a bad person. You just have to get used to him again,” Baekhyun said.

“But I left him. I feel kind of guilty.”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Kind of?” He put the cup down. “If I were you, I’d be on my knees begging him to forgive me.” Sehun shot him a glare. “This is your fault Sehun. You left him for no apparent reason, and now you have to get back with him.”

“Thanks for comforting me,” Sehun mumbled.

“Sehun you look like you need something sweet. Here, it’s on me.” A plate with a slice of cake was placed in front of him. Sehun glanced at Chanyeol.

“Thanks.” He turned to Baekhyun. “Your boyfriend does a better job of comforting me and he doesn’t even know what we’re talking about.”

“Cause he’s Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said, rolling his eyes.

“I gotta get back to work,” Chanyeol said. Baekhyun waved at him and Sehun grunted, eating the cake. “I’ll take that as a ‘goodbye.’”

“This is why you don’t have friends.” Sehun looked up at Baekhyun, fork in his mouth. “Remember in 5th grade? You asked me why you didn’t have any friend except for me. This is why.” Sehun sent his friend a rude gesture and went back to eating. “Rude!”

~OoO~

Jongin walked into his studio. The lights were off and everything was dark. He slumped down next to the door and buried his face in his hands. His phone was vibrating his in pocket, and he took it out and threw it on the floor in front of himself. He could care less what his brothers were asking him. It was the same thing from the both of them. “‘Where are you?’, ‘Come home,’ ‘Kim Jongin get your sorry back here before I come find you,’ ‘You’re dead,’” he got used to it fairly quickly. Within the span of 2 days, Jongin had gotten scolded by his brothers and parents more than he had ever in his entire life.

Jongin hugged his knees to his chest. He felt so lonely, like the world had gone against him. He stared at his reflection in the mirror. It was dark, but he could make out his outline. His phone had stopped vibrating and was ringing instead. There was a beep and then voice mail came on. A voice he didn’t think he would hear spoke.

“Jongin, I’m sorry for being so rude to you earlier. I guess I was just...overwhelmed? You know how I am; I want to be alone when I’m mad. Please forgive me....And you’ll always be more than just a friend. I love you.”

Jongin broke down crying again.

 

“You’re dead, you know that?” Joonmyeon pushed Sehun into a wall, the younger wincing when his back hit the surface.  “Because of you, Jongin’s out there, not picking up his phone. He could be dead!” Joonmyeon punched the wall next to Sehun’s head. Sehun shut his eyes and clenched his hands into a fist, readying himself for the punch he though was going to come.

“You’re going overboard, Joonmyeon,” Yixing said quietly. He pulled at Joonmyeon’s sleeve. “That’s enough.” 

Joonmyeon sent Sehun another glare then backed away at the trembling other. “You’re lucky Jongin would hate me if I killed you. If he didn’t love you like he does, you’d be dead by now.” Joonmyeon let his husband sit him in a chair.

Yixing massaged Joonmyeon’s shoulders. “Calm down, you’re stressing out again,” he said. Joonmyeon brought a hand up to rub his temples and he closed his eyes.

“Sehun, it’s your job to bring him home or I’ll kill you. I’m not kidding.”

Sehun’s eyes slowly opened and his hands shook as he unclenched them. “I’m sorry hyung...” he mumbled.

“Just bring him back and I’ll forgive you.” Sehun nodded. He glanced at Yixing, who nodded his head towards the door. Yixing mouthed, “Sorry,” to Sehun and gave him a pitying look. Sehun shook his head.

“I’m sorry,” Sehun said again.

“Just get out Sehun. Bring Jongin back, make sure there’s nothing wrong with him.”

 

 “I can’t find him anywhere, hyung...” Sehun was close to tears as he buried his face in his hands. “I-I’ve tried calling him, I’ve tried checking his studio, I’ve tried calling his friends...I don’t know anymore...”

Baekhyun rubbed Sehun’s back. “I’ll help you look,” he said.

“It’s not going to help. Jongin’s been gone for two days already. I can’t find him anywhere.”

“You can’t give up. He’ll be back soon. We just have to keep looking.” Baekhyun patted Sehun’s back. “Come on, I’ll call Chanyeol and we’ll help you look.”

“Thanks, hyung...” Sehun mumbled.

“It’s fine. Let’s go.” Baekhyun pulled Sehun up and walked out of the room. “It’s what friends are for.”

~OoO~

Do Kyungsoo was the sensitive type. His ex-boyfriend certainly knew that, but decided to dump Kyungsoo in the most humiliating way ever. But even if Do Kyungsoo was sensitive, he was not going to let a stupid man ruin his life. That was why he was in an arcade shooting zombies with a plastic gun and winning. “That’s your ing head!” he mumbled. “Die bastard!” He shot the head off of a zombie coming towards him and watched the body twitch and then still. There was a noise and then the screen turned black and red words appeared saying, “You beat the zombies.”

“You just broke up too?” Kyungsoo turned and saw a man standing beside him.

“How did you know?” Kyungsoo said, adding another token into the machine, the machine flashed white and Kyungsoo passed the other plastic gun to the man next to him.

“You called the zombie a bastard,” the man said, taking the gun. “And I feel your anger.”

Kyungsoo let out a short laugh. “You seem to know what you’re talking about.”

The man smiled. “I’ve been here for two days shooting heads off of zombies thinking they’re my ex’s parents. I know what I’m talking about.”

Kyungsoo smiled back at the man. “I think I just found my new best friend,” he said. “Want to eat lunch after this?”

The man smiled. “Sure.”

 

“I never asked you what your name was,” Kyungsoo said, a large Coke in one hand and a McDonalds bag in the other.

“Jongin. What’s yours?”

“Kyungsoo.”

“Nice to meet you Kyungsoo. I think we’re going to be great friends.” Kyungsoo waved bye at him and Jongin waved back, smiling. Jongin turned the corner and saw a familiar face. His eyes widened and he almost dropped his Coke. “W-Why are you here?” he stuttered.

“Sehun’s freaking out about you. I think you should go home.”

~OoO~

“Kim Jongin, where have you been?!”

Jongin flinched. He had never heard Yixing raise his voice before, and it kind of scared him.

“Umm...out?” Jongin stared at the floor, not meeting his brother-in-law’s eyes.

“Do you know how close your brother was close to strangling Sehun?” Jongin’s head snapped up.

“What?”

“If I didn’t stop him, he would have killed Sehun right then and there.” Jongin sighed and turned away. “I know you’re hurt, but please pick up the phone once in a while so we know you’re okay,” Yixing added, his tone softer.

“Yes, hyung.”

Yixing patted him on the back. “Go talk to your brother or else he’ll send out a party to chop Sehun’s head off.”

Jongin gulped. He didn’t want to see his brother. Jongin knew he was a failure, a disgrace to his family. That was why no one knew about him. When people think of the prestigious Kim family, the only two children that come to mind are Kim Joonmyeon, and Kim Jongdae. Kim Jongin was just the guy who owned a dance studio and has nothing to do with the Kim family.

“Go on, Jongin.” Yixing was waiting for him.

“Do I really-”

“Yes.”

Jongin took a deep breath and walked up the stairs. He made his way to his brother’s office and put his hand on the doorknob. With the other hand, he knocked on the wood lightly. “Come in.”

Jongin’s hand shook as he turned the doorknob. “Hyung?”

~OoO~

“You don’t look so well, are you okay?” Luhan looked up and found his co-worker peeking her head over the wall of the cubicle.

“Oh, I’m fine,” Luhan replied, waving his hand dismissively.

“That’s what you said last time and then you passed out in class.”

Luhan bit his lip. “I’m really fine.”

“God Mr. Lu, you can always take the day off. You have a bunch of hours saved up right?”

Luhan hummed in reply, his pen making marks on the paper in record time. “But I can’t just take the day off. They have an exam tomorrow.”

“What do you do over the weekends then? You come in on Mondays looking tired and stressed.”

Luhan let out a small chuckle at his co-worker. “Ms. Lee isn’t everyone tired on Mondays?”

“Hmm, that’s true, but you look worse than all of us.”

Luhan stacked the test on top of the pile on his desk and picked up another packet. “I travel around on the weekends,” Luhan explained. This of course was a lie, Luhan never travelled around and the only place he’s ever been that was not Korea was his homeland.

“Oh. That makes a lot of sense.”

Luhan was glad Ms. Lee stopped talking to him. It wasn’t that Luhan disliked her; it was that she seemed very talkative, and Luhan didn’t like talking. Luhan squinted his eyes at the messy handwriting on the paper and made a noise when he read the answer (which was completely off the point).

“You want to come with us to lunch, Mr. Lu?”

“No thank you. You guys have fun,” Luhan answered, not looking up from his work.

“You have fun grading tests!” someone called back. Luhan heard footsteps and then the door to the staff room close. He leaned back on his chair and rubbed his forehead, which felt like bursting. Luhan hated Wednesdays. It was smack dab in the middle of the week, where the kids stopped paying attention and started to goof off. But as much as he hated Wednesdays, he hated Mondays even more. Mondays were usually when he had headaches because of all the noise.

Luhan groaned and opened his drawer to pull out a small bottle of pills and water. He took a pill out of the bottle and swallowed it and a quarter of the water bottle. He felt the waves turn into a dull pulsing and sighed. Lu Han hated days like these.

~OoO~

“You’re lucky he came home or else your would have been whipped by Joonmyeon.”

“Thanks Baek. Thanks a whole lot,” Sehun muttered sarcastically.

Baekhyun shrugged, stirring his smoothie with a straw. “I’m just saying.”

“Well you ‘just saying’ things doesn’t really help with my mood right now,” Sehun snapped.

Baekhyun scoffed and took a sip of his drink. “Someone’s on their man-period.”

Sehun flipped Baekhyun off and sighed, burying his head in his arms. “I’m just glad he’s okay.”

“Well, you should be glad Luhan brought him home.”

“I’m not thanking that guy for anything, even if he did find Jongin and brought him home.”

“Bastard.”