Alternate Ending

It's Complicated

I said a few days, it ended up being a week instead. Sorry~ XD

I like this ending though. It's a bit angsty, but what's life without a little angst?


Sehun rushed Luhan to the hospital. Everyone was called within minutes and Yifan and Zitao booked tickets back to Korea. He heard Luhan’s mother’s sobs next to him and he buried his face in his hands. Everything was numb. He felt a hand on his shoulder, shaking him gently, but he didn’t do anything to acknowledge it.

“Sehun. Calm down. He’ll be okay.”

Baekhyun’s voice was soft but Sehun jerked away, as if the words had burned him. “Don’t say that if you don’t know it’s true.”

“What are you going to do then? Sit around and mope like a ing baby?” Baekhyun’s voice grew in volume and Sehun flinched. “Is this how you’re going to act?”

Sehun stared at his shoes. “Leave me alone.”

“Man up, Sehun,” Baekhyun muttered. Sehun heard Baekhyun’s echoing footsteps down the empty hallway.

Man up. He couldn’t do that without Luhan around.

~OoO~

“You shouldn’t have said that,” Chanyeol murmured.

Baekhyun glared at his boyfriend intensely. “He needs to grow up. He can’t keep acting like that.”

“But you still shouldn’t have. He’s been through a lot, you need to let him catch up with everything,” Chanyeol said. “He so close to losing someone he loves, he needs someone to comfort him, not yell at him.” Chanyeol slid his hand over the smooth granite countertop of Baekhyun’s island kitchen and placed it on top of Baekhyun’s cold hand. “You comfort me whenever my sister’s not doing well. Sehun needs that kind of support now. He’s younger than me Baek, if I can’t handle stuff like that, I’m pretty sure he can’t either.”

Baekhyun was silent.

“Talk to him, alright? You don’t have to apologize, just comfort him. Say the things he wants you to say.”

~OoO~

“We don’t know how long he has, but he’s not surviving this. He’s too weak for that.”

Sehun felt his heart stop and he clutched at his shirt. He heard Luhan’s mother thank the doctor and Yifan continuing to talk to the doctor about Luhan’s condition. Sehun looked inside the small window and stared at the pale figure of Luhan lying on the bed.

One week, that was how long he had been out.

One week with no one to hug. One week with no one to kiss. One week with no one to sleep next to. One week was too much. Sehun staggered to the bench and slumped down. He leaned against the wall and stared up at the ceiling, dotted with black spots.

Sehun had a feeling he wasn’t going to make it. If Luhan left, we would lose his life too. There was nothing else to live for.

~OoO~

Sehun where are you?

Sehun answer me.

SEHUN

OH ING SEHUN CALL ME

“Hey, be patient,” Chanyeol chastised. He wrapped his hands around Baekhyun’s and squeezed them tightly. “He’s probably a mess right now. Just let him cool off and then we’ll go over and visit him. That sound good?” Chanyeol pressed a short kiss on Baekhyun’s forehead and slid off the couch. “Let’s go get food to bring over there.”

Baekhyun sighed and took Chanyeol’s outstretched hand.

“I’m just worried. Sehun’s the type that would do anything to get what he wants. I’m scared he’ll hurt himself.”

Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a small smile and engulfed the shorter in a hug. “He won’t do anything...”

“We all know Luhan’s not going to make it. I’m worried about how Sehun’ll cope with it.”

~OoO~

“You’re awake.”

“Yea,” Luhan said, breathily, “I am.”

“How do you feel? Do you need anything? Should I call the doctor? What do-”

“Hey, calm down.” Luhan’s cold hand crawled across the blanket and latched onto Sehun’s warm, clammy ones. “I’m not going anywhere, just speak slowly; you’re giving me a headache.”

Sehun’s eyes widened. “I’m sorry! I should call the doctor shouldn’t I?”

Luhan let out a small laugh but it turned into a grimace when a wave of nausea overcame him. “You don’t have to. He already knows.”

Sehun eyed the door but held onto Luhan’s hand tightly. “You know how much you scared me?” Sehun rubbed his thumb on the back of Luhan’s hand. “I-I saw the blood, and I was so scared, so, so scared.” Luhan brought his free hand up and brushed Sehun’s bangs away from his face and smiled affectionately. “I just got you back; I thought I was going to lose you again.”

The smile slowly slipped off Luhan’s face. “Sehun,” he said. “There’ll come a time where we’ll have to separate. It’s inevitable. You just have to let go.”

Sehun frowned. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“We don’t live forever, Sehun. One of us is going to die before the other. And if it turns out I leave before you, you have to learn to let go. Move on, find someone else. We’ll meet again someday.”

“B-but you’re not leaving me now, are you?”  

“No, of course not,” Luhan said. “We still have so many more things to do together.”

“Good. Because I don’t think I can take it if you die now.”

“I’ll try,” Luhan said jokingly.

Only it wasn’t a joke.

 

Sehun dropped his phone.

He could hear Yifan yelling his name worriedly, but the whole world seemed to have stopped. Sehun sunk down to the floor and buried his face in his hands.

Luhan was dead.

~OoO~

“Mr. Lu was a great teacher. He was nice, caring, and put up with the students in our class. He supported and guided us from the side. He cheered us on and taught us many things that we didn’t really bother to listen to. But most of all, he was like a father figure to me. He was the best teacher I’ve ever had. He...he inspired me to do so many things. He opened a door to a new life for me. Never in a million years would I have thought someone like him would die so early. Speaking on behalf of my peers, we loved Mr. Lu. We sure didn’t act like it, but we did. And we’d all like to thank him. We wish you the best Mr. Lu.”

Minyoung stepped down from the small stage and wiped her eyes. The whole room was quiet, watching her with tearful eyes. No one said a word. She walked towards the door in the back of the room. The atmosphere was too tense, too sad. Her sweating hands touched the cold metal and she turned the knob, opening it. But before Minyoung could leave, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned and found Sehun standing there.

“Luhan’s probably smiling at you right now, from wherever he is. He’s proud of you.” Sehun gave Minyoung a small, wobbly smile. “Thanks for your speech.” Sehun dug through his coat and pulled out a card. “Can we meet here? I want to talk to you about something later.”

Minyoung took the card with shaking hands. “Okay.”

“You can go now, if you want.”

Minyoung nodded. “Bye, Mr. Lu’s husband.”

“Bye, Mr. Lu’s student.”

~OoO~

“So he didn’t like your class at all?”

“Well, I’m pretty sure he did, he was just annoyed at all of us all the time. They talked too much, you know?”

Sehun smiled. “Yea, Luhan’s always been that way.”

Minyoung picked at her fingernails. Her legs dangled underneath her as she stared out into the river. “How was Mr. Lu at home? Was he the same as when he’s at school?”

Sehun leaned back on his hands. “He was a lot stingier with me, but I liked that about him. It was a lot more carefree too.” Sehun glanced to the side. “He complained about work in his sleep a lot.” Minyoung giggled and Sehun let out a laugh. “Yea, he was great.”

“You two seemed so in love,” Minyoung said.

“We were. We still are. Just because he’s gone now doesn’t mean I’ll ever stop loving him.”

 

Sehun paid for his coffee and breakfast sandwich and left the café. The streets were busy, as it was holiday season. He balanced the plastic container of food in one hand while gripping the coffee cup in the other. He weaved through the crowd and was two feet from his car when someone slammed into him from behind. The coffee sloshed around in his cup and most spilled onto his hand. He had a sharp intake of breath as the hot liquid burned his skin. Sehun put the sandwiches on the hood of his car and transferred the coffee cup to his other hand. His right hand was slightly burned from the hot coffee and he could already feel it settling in due to the cold weather.

“! I’m so, so sorry about that!”

Sehun saw a head of pink hair and a pang of nostalgia hit him. He tried to make out the person’s face, but couldn’t see clearly because of the hair.

“Here, I have napkins somewhere...”

“No, no it’s fine,” Sehun argued. He found a trash can and tossed the coffee cup inside, most of it was gone anyway.

“No, here, “ the person ed napkins into his hands. “Just take them.”

Sehun mumbled a ‘thanks’ and wiped his hands clean of the drink. He shook his hands and tried to relieve the pain by blowing on it.

“Look, I’m really sorry about that.”

“It’s fine, no worries.”

“No, if you want me to buy you a new coffee, I’ll do it.”

Sehun felt something prickle in the back of his head. The voice sounded so familiar. He looked at the person, who was arranging his hair as he waited for Sehun’s answer and his eyes widened.

“Lu-Luhan?”

The person stopped. “How do you know my name?”

Sehun backed up and leaned against the door of his car. He shook his head and squeezed his eyes shut. He opened them again and blinked, everything going back into focus. But the person was still there. The Luhan look-alike.

“Your name is Luhan?” he asked.

“Yea...Xi Luhan.”

Sehun’s heart stopped. “But your name is Luhan?”

“Ye-How do you know this?”

Sehun fumbled through his pockets and pulled out his wallet. He opened it and showed Luhan the picture he put there. “This is Lu Han. My deceased husband.”

“Woah, woah, woah, hold on. This is crazy.”

“I know.”

Luhan ran his fingers through his hair. “Look, it’s early in the morning, you just spilled coffee, I’m sleep-deprived. How about we talk about this over some breakfast? Yea?”

“Sure.”

Sehun let Luhan lead him back into the café he just came from and they sat down at a table across from each other. After a few moments of silence between them, Luhan looked up from his donut and asked Sehun, “So your husband’s name was Lu Han, but you called him Luhan?”

“Yea, it seemed more Korean that way.”

“Huh. And he looks exactly like me.”

“Yep.”

Luhan seemed to think for a moment, sipping his hot chocolate. “If you don’t mind me asking, how long has he been dead?”

Sehun blinked. “Two years.”

Luhan made a face. “I came here two years ago from China. This is too weird to be a coincidence.”

“We’ll meet again someday...” Sehun mumbled to himself.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“No, you said something”

“It’s complicated.”