Chapter 15

It's Complicated

“Don’t you think it’s too early?”

Luhan glanced up from his smoothie to see Minseok drumming his fingers on the table. “I wasn’t planning to do it right away; I just wanted to get the idea out there.”

Minseok sighed and bit his lip, contemplating whether or not to say what he was thinking. “Luhan...” he said. “Don’t take this the wrong way okay?” Luhan slowly nodded. “I think you’re rushing this.” He took a moment to gauge Luhan’s reaction, and when he found that Luhan’s reaction was not too extreme, he continued. “I-I mean, it seems like you’re not all that comfortable with him yet. Luhan, I don’t get mad at me okay?”

Luhan leaned on the leather back of the chair. “I kind of expected this,” he said quietly.

Minseok looked at Luhan with wide eyes. That tone was not a good tone. “Lu-”

“I think I need some time.” Luhan ran a hand through his pink locks. “It’s pretty stupid, getting worked up over something so trivial,” he said, “but it’s important to me. And it’s kind of disappointing to have your best friend not support you.” He stood up from the chair and the legs scraped against the linoleum floor. Minseok’s eyes followed his every move. “Don’t worry. I’m not mad. I just want time to myself to think things over again.” He gave Minseok a small, sad smile before leaving the shop.

~OoO~

“Don’t you think it’s too early?”

Sehun’s eyebrows furrowed at Baekhyun’s question. “Yes I do, but Luhan wants it.”

“Because Luhan wants it?” Baekhyun asked. “Sehun, listen to yourself! Think about it rationally. You barely made up with him and now you guys are adopting? It’s way too early.”

“Baekhyun, it’s what he wants okay? I’m trying really hard to make it up to him. If this is going to make him forgive me, I’ll do it.”

Baekhyun scoffed. “Be reasonable Sehun. I don’t want you to come crying to me when you get fed up with the kid.”

Sehun’s jaw tensed. “I won’t.”

 

After the small quarrel with Baekhyun, Sehun went home and buried himself in his workload. He was halfway through reading a packet of papers when the door to his study creaked open.

“You coming down for dinner?” Luhan asked.

Sehun shook his head. “I’ll be down later,” he answered, not sparing Luhan a glance. He heard the click of the door closing and Sehun sighed, leaning back on the leather office chair. He ran his fingers through his hair and closed his eyes. He was so tired and on top of it all, there was this awkward atmosphere between him and Luhan.

Sehun opened his eyes and straightened his back. Eyeing the pile of papers on his desk, he stood up. He strode across the carpeted floor and opened the door, walking down the staircase. He found Luhan sitting by himself at the table, eating. The clinking of the chopsticks and spoon hitting against the bowl seemed to echo in the quiet kitchen and Sehun made his way to the dinner table and sat across his husband.

Luhan stopped eating and looked up at Sehun. “I thought you were going to eat later,” he said.

Sehun shrugged. “I didn’t want to work anymore.”

“I put your dinner in the fridge,” Luhan said. “You want me to heat it up for you?”

“Sure,” Sehun replied. Luhan wiped his lips with a napkin and stood up. Sehun watched him for a few moments before turning back to stare at the half eaten bowl of rice. He felt the need to say something to rid the atmosphere of the awkwardness, but he didn’t know what to say.

“Here.” Sehun blinked and found a bowl of rice and the side dishes set up in front of him.

“Thanks,” he said. He picked up the chopsticks up from the table.

“Sehun?” Luhan asked, after he was done with his dinner.

“Yea?” Sehun swallowed the rice in his mouth and looked at Luhan expectantly.

“I don’t think we’re ready yet,” he said quietly.

Sehun frowned. “Ready for what?”

“Adopting,” Luhan answered. “I’ve gone over it a million and one times in my head for the past day. I don’t think I’m ready yet.”

Sehun nodded slowly. “I was thinking the same...”

“It was some random thought in my head. Sorry if it made you feel burdened.” With that, Luhan gathered his things and brought them to the sink.

~OoO~

Luhan let the cold water run down his sweating body. He had woken up in the middle of the night from a bad dream and was currently standing in the shower, fully clothed, with the water on. He took a deep breath and reached a hand up to turn the water off. Maybe it was a good decision to not sleep with Sehun. The bathroom was quiet, except for the sound of water dripping from Luhan’s hair. Then the door creaked open.

“Luhan?” Luhan looked up through his dripping hair and saw Sehun rubbing his eyes while standing by the door. “Why are you taking a shower in your clothes at two in the morning?”

Luhan sighed and took a towel off the rack to dry his hair. “Did I wake you? Sorry.” He glanced at the door to find Sehun gone. “Sehun?”

“Hold on,” he heard Sehun call. His husband came in a few moments later with a new shirt and pants. “You’re going to catch a cold.” He tossed the clothing to Luhan, who caught it. “You can join me in bed later. You don’t have to sleep alone.” Sehun gave him a sleepy smile and walked out of the lit bathroom. Luhan stared at the empty doorway.

Oh Sehun. The one who made him feel so many things at the same time. The one that made him feel safe. The one that made him feel accepted.

 

“How did you get my number?” Luhan asked.

There was an awkward silence. “Umm, don’t tell him I said this, but I asked Minseok-hyung.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. Who else would give out his number? “Jongin-sshi, I’m a bit busy.”

“Since when did you start calling me ‘Jongin-sshi’?”

Since I saw you with my husband... “I’m busy. I can’t meet you today.”

“Luhan-”

Luhan pulled the phone away from his ear and ended the call. He tossed the phone onto the desk and leaned back on the chair. His eyes slowly closed and he brought a hand up to touch his forehead, which started to pulse. It wasn’t until he heard the door creak open in the silent room did he open his eyes again.

“Mr. Lu?”

“Minyoung? Why are you still here?”

Minyoung rubbed her hands together and buried them in her uniform blazer’s pockets. “I wanted to tell you I got the job.”

A small smile graced Luhan’s lips. “Good for you Minyoung.”

“Thanks for helping me, Mr. Lu,” she continued, “I don’t think I would have gotten that job without you.”

“It was nothing. When do you start?” Luhan asked.

“Next week. Thanks again, Mr. Lu.”

“Go do your homework. You’re going to relish the extra time you have after you start working.” Minyoung smiled and thanked Luhan again before leaving the classroom. The smile on Luhan’s face slowly faded away and he stared outside the window. He could see the top of the trees, being on one of the classrooms on the third level. Luhan saw a bird nest on one of the branches and the corners of Luhan’s lips tugged upwards at the sight of one fledging testing out its wings, flying around in circles and chirping happily.

 

“Minseok hyung told me off because he said you guys saw me and Sehun together the other day,” Jongin said. Luhan pursed his lips together into a thin line. “I don’t want you to get the wrong idea. I bumped into him and asked him out for lunch. If you were mad at him, it wasn’t his fault.”

Luhan fought the urge to roll his eyes. He didn’t know why, but he found Jongin very annoying today, (but maybe it was the jealously talking). “What made you think I would be mad at him over something so petty? He has his own business and I have mine.” This, of course, was not true. Luhan was mad at Sehun, extremely jealous too, but he had gotten over it.

Jongin flushed a light shade of pink. “I just wanted you to know.” He stared at his lap and Luhan continued to stare accusingly at the other male.

“Is that all?” Luhan asked after a moment of awkward silence.

“That’s it,” Jongin answered.

“This could have been said over a phone call Jongin,” Luhan said. There was a sharp intake of breath from Jongin and Luhan saw him cringe. “Please don’t call me again, Jongin. It’s awkward.”