Chapter 3

It's Complicated

Luhan woke up with an irritating pulsing in his head and a need for water. He cracked open his eyes and then shut them immediately. He groaned and put a hand over his eyes. He made a move to sit up but was pushed down.

“Don’t sit up. What do you need, I’ll get it.”

“Huh?” Luhan opened his eyes again. “S-Sehun?”

“You’re stupid, you know that? You say you’re okay, when you’re not,” Sehun snapped. He helped Luhan sit up and then handed him a glass of water. “You haven’t changed a bit.”

“Thanks...” Luhan mumbled, gulping down the water gratefully. “You took me home?”

“Yep.” Sehun mumbled. He took the glass from Luhan. “You feeling better?”

Luhan nodded. “How’d you get in?”

“You didn’t change your passcode,” Sehun replied, yawning.

Luhan took the blanket off of himself and put his feet on the floor. The cold felt unusually comfortable against the bottoms of his feet. “Did you change me too?” he asked, picking at the pajama pants he was wearing.

“Yea, something wrong?”

Luhan fiddled with the loose blue string on his pants. “Why do you change so much? It’s confusing. I expect a Sehun that hates me, but I get a Sehun that’s nice, and when I expect a nice Sehun, I get one that hates me.” Luhan sighed. “Can you please stick to one?” he asked, turning to look at his ex-boyfriend.

“I’ve changed Luhan, and you know that.”

Luhan looked back at his pants. “I guess...”

 

“Did he stay the whole night?” Zitao asked.

“I think. He was still in the same clothes from dinner.” Luhan paused. “I don’t know why he cares though...”

“Like I said, you don’t forget your first love.”

~OoO~

“Is Luhan okay?” Jongin asked.

“He’s fine,” Sehun replied.

Jongin took the remote off of the table and turned the T.V. off. “Did you spend the night there?” He glanced at his boyfriend, who nodded. Jongin took a deep breath.

“Sehun-”

“Don’t. I know what you’re about to say,” Sehun interjected. He put his feet on the floor and left Jongin’s side. Jongin watched as Sehun left the room. He heard the slamming of a door a few moments later. Jongin took a pillow and held it to his chest. There was a sour taste in his mouth and his mind flashed back to the night before.

“Please break up with him. This is the only favor I ask of you.”

“Jongin, I know for a fact that you have someone that will be yours. It’s just not Sehun.”

He let out a shaky breath and felt tears burning in his eyes. Jongin stood up from the couch and tossed the pillow on it. He walked to Sehun’s room and knocked lightly. “Sehun?” There was no reply, only a rustling noise from inside the room. “Sehun, open the door please.”

“You’re about to tell me that you want to end this right?” he heard Sehun’s muffled voice ask. It sounded broken, like Sehun was crying.

“Sehun, please.” Jongin found it hard to speak due to the lump in his throat. “You know it won’t work...”

“We’ll make it work! We did before, we can do it now!”

“It won’t work, Sehun. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be,” Jongin pleaded. He hit the door with his fist. “Sehun, just open the door...” There was nothing but the sound of quiet sobs, and Jongin tried one more time. “Open the door...” he said, turning the locked doorknob.

“Leave. You said you wanted this to stop. Leave,” Sehun’s cold voice came.

“Sehun...”

“Leave!”

Jongin’s hand slipped off the metal and back to his side. He stared at the locked door.
“I hope we’ll still be friends after this,” he said quietly. Then Jongin left the house. He made his way to his car, unlocked it and then sat inside. He stared at the steering wheel before breaking out into sobs.

~OoO~

“I broke up with him. Are you happy?”

“What?” Luhan asked, stunned.

“I broke up with Jongin. Satisfied?” Sehun said.

“Sehun, what in the world are you talking about?”

Sehun slammed his hand on the table, causing the cup to rattle on its plate. “This was your plan all along, to ruin my relationship with Jongin. You wanted to get back at me for leaving you.”

Luhan shook his head, a disappointed look on his face. “If you invited me here to place stupid accusations against me, I’m leaving.” He stood up and walked out, slamming the door behind him.

Sehun glared at the door and then pulled at his hair with his fingers. “What am I supposed to do?”

~OoO~

Luhan felt slightly dizzy and his mouth felt dry when he left Sehun’s office. He went to his car and went inside. He searched through the storage next to his seat for a bottle of water. When he found it, he opened it and downed half the bottle. His phone vibrated in his pocket and Luhan took it out.

Omma

Luhan slid the green bar over and put the phone to his ear. “Omma?”

“Luhan, I need you home as soon as possible, is that okay?” his mom asked.

Luhan bit his lip. “Yes, I’ll be home in five minutes,” he said.

“Alright, thank you.” She hung up.

Luhan put the phone in the empty seat next to him and put his hands on the steering wheel. “She needs me. I’m not second place anymore. I’m her priority,” he said, “It’s me instead of Yifan.”

 

Luhan arrived home a few minutes later and saw an unfamiliar car in the driveway. He went in the house and found Mr. and Mrs. Oh sitting in the living room. He greeted them and sat down beside his mother.

“Luhan, I think you heard from Sehun about him and Jongin. We’re very sorry for his behavior towards you,” Mrs. Oh said.

Luhan shook his head. “It’s fine Mrs. Oh. It’s hard on him.” He smiled and the older adults went back to talking.

“Luhan?”

“Yes?” The called looked up at his mother.

“Can you call Sehun?”

“I-I don’t have his number,” Luhan lied. He didn’t want Sehun at his house. In fact, he didn’t want to see Sehun anywhere at the moment. His mother sighed, and patted his hand.

“Next time you meet him, ask him, alright?”

Luhan nodded. “Yes.” His mother turned back to talking with Mr. and Mrs. Oh and Luhan went back to staring at the details on the teacups. He wasn’t really paying attention until he heard the words, “Wedding,” and “Next month,” in the same sentence. Luhan snapped his head up. “Next month?” he asked.

His mother sent him a disapproving look. “Yes, Luhan. The wedding will be next month.”

Luhan felt himself shrink back into the chair. He wanted to disappear, to slowly fade away into nothingness.

 

“I heard from Jongdae that Jongin broke up with his boyfriend,” Minseok said. Luhan hummed in reply. “How’s your love life?”

Luhan sighed. “Horrible.” He switched the phone from his right to his left. “Sehun thinks I killed his relationship with Jong- his boyfriend.” He scribbled down notes onto a yellow legal pad. “And I found out that the wedding is next month. They’re really rushing this.” Luhan used his shoulder to hold the phone in place, while he flipped the legal pad to a new page. “Yifan didn’t have to go through this. He got to marry whoever he wanted,” Luhan mumbled.

Minseok sighed. “Please don’t go through that jealous phase again. I don’t want to have to deal with pissed-off Luhan every day.”

“I’m just saying, that I’m always second place. He gets what he wants, while I have to wait in line and when I ask, the answer is almost always ‘no.’ I’m sick and tired of it Minseok. And I was not jealous, I was angry,” Luhan said. He scrolled through the lesson plan and then saved it.

“No, you were jealous. Don’t try to argue with me Luhan. Just admit it.”

Luhan scoffed. “Fine. I was jealous...and angry.” He heard Minseok let out a noisy breath. “What?”

“Nothing. How’s your headache, feeling better?” Minseok asked, changing the subject.

“Eh. After I met Sehun earlier, I felt kind of woozy, but I’m okay now.”

“Good. You’re coming here,” Minseok said.

“What? I still have to make lesson plans for the day after tomorrow,” Luhan argued.

“Do it later. Now, you have to come here,” Minseok insisted.

Luhan groaned. “The things I do for you...” he grumbled, running a finger through his hair. Minseok let out a triumphant cry on the other side.