Chapter 8

It's Complicated

The wedding day came closer and closer until it was the weekend and the wedding was in five minutes.

“My baby’s all grown up!” Luhan frowned as his mother pinched his cheeks and wiped a small tear from her eyes.

“Omma!”

“Just let her Luhan. You’re not living with her on the weekends anymore. She’s going to miss you,” Yifan whispered.

Luhan frowned and grabbed his mother’s hands. “You’re hurting me, Omma.” She let go and hugged him instead.

“I wish your father was here to walk you down the aisle...” she mumbled. Luhan, though he wasn’t very tall compared to Yifan, was considerably taller than his mother.

Luhan sighed and hugged her back. “I wish he was here too.”

“Omma, we should go,” Yifan said. He put a hand on her shoulder and she pulled away from Luhan. “We’ll see you later Luhan.”

Luhan nodded. His palms were getting sweaty and he sat down on a chair, his leg shaking in nervousness.

“There’s my best friend.” Luhan looked up and found Minseok standing at the door with a smirk on his face. “Are you happy? You’re getting to marry him.”

Luhan scoffed and brushed his bangs away from his face. “I told you before that I was looking forward to this day, but now that it’s here...I don’t really want it to be.”

“What, you’re going to miss being single?” Minseok joked.

Luhan smiled. “No, I’m going to miss being able to talk to you every day,” Luhan said sarcastically.

“Thanks Luhan. I feel the love.” Luhan’s laugh mixed in with Minseok’s and Minseok left his spot at the door and sat down next to Luhan. “Call me often okay? Just because you’re married to that bastard now doesn’t mean he can push you around. You call me and I’ll Jongdae to beat his .”

“I’ll remember to do that.”

Minseok poked Luhan’s forehead and pulled him up. “Come on, wedding’s starting.”

 

“Hey Luhan-sshi.”

Luhan turned and his eyes widened. “J-Jongin?”

“That’s me.” Jongin gave him a small smile. “How does it feel?”

“I-I don’t...” Luhan stuttered.

“I’m not mad at you, Luhan-sshi. I just want to tell you to treat him well. I loved him for a year, but I’m giving him up now. Don’t make my hurting be in vain.” Jongin patted Luhan on the back and left, blending in with the crowd.

Luhan stood, with his mouth slightly open, in shock. “Luhan? Something wrong?” Luhan shook his head and found Sehun standing next to him. “What happened?” Sehun wrapped an arm around Luhan’s waist and when Luhan sent him a confused look, Sehun mouthed, “It’s for show.”

“Did you know Jongin’s here?” Luhan asked. He glanced up at the other and saw Sehun’s face harden.

“Yea. He called me, insisting to come,” Sehun replied. Sehun led him to the food table. He scooped up punch from the bowl and gave the cup to Luhan. “You look pale. Is it because of Jongin?” He got one for himself and watched Luhan.

Luhan shrugged and sipped the drink. Then, he heard a loud squeal and felt someone grabbing his legs. He looked down to find a little girl hugging his knees. “Uncle Luhan!” He picked up the girl and smiled.

“When did you get here Soyoung-ah? Did you parents bring you here?” Luhan carried her with one arm and she played with the flower pinned on his chest.

“Omma and Appa are talking to Halmoni,” she said. Soyoung turned and looked at Sehun. “Is that going to be my other uncle?” she asked, pointing at Sehun. Sehun frowned. He didn’t like this kid. She was too loud and interrupted him when he was talking.

“Yes, that’s Uncle Sehun. Say hi Soyoung-ah.”

Sehun blinked and found the little girl glaring at him with her arms crossed. “I don’t like him,” she said. Sehun was stunned and Luhan laughed.

“Soyoung, can you take me to your parents?” Luhan put the girl down and she took Luhan’s hand. She led him to the crowd of people, leaving Sehun alone. Sehun stared after them with a surprised expression and when Soyoung turned around and stuck her tongue out at him, he crushed the paper cup in his hands.

 

 “Who was that kid?” Sehun asked grumpily. He was driving home at one in the morning after the wedding ended.

“Who, Soyoung?” Luhan glanced at Sehun’s profile and found the other with a frown. “She’s the daughter of a childhood friend from China.” A small smirk appeared on Luhan’s lips. “Why? You going to find her and demand an apology?” He watched as Sehun’s lower jaw tensed and he laughed. “How is it that an eight-year-old kid can make Oh Sehun so mad?”

“Yah!”

~OoO~

“You’re leaving?” Luhan almost dropped the phone.

“I’m going back to China and Zitao’s coming with me,” Yifan said.

“B-But why?”

He heard Yifan sigh. “The company,” Yifan answered. “Omma’s handing it to me, and I need to go to the branch in China for a while to set things up.”

“How long?” Luhan asked in a small voice. He shut his laptop lid and leaned back on the chair.

“A year.”

Luhan did drop the phone this time.

 

“What happened?” Sehun asked. He used his chopsticks to pick up the piece of chicken and placed it on Luhan’s plate. The two were sitting in a small restaurant and Sehun had found a reporter following them there, forcing him to put up an act.

“Yifan and Zitao are leaving for China,” Luhan replied. He picked up the fried meat with his fingers and took a bite. “And they’re staying there for a year because Omma’s handing the company over to Yifan.”

“What about you? Is she giving you any part?” Sehun asked, dipping the chicken into the sauce.

Luhan scoffed. “When does she ever?” Luhan went back to finishing the chicken Sehun put on his plate. “Can you eat this? I’m not really hungry.” Luhan dropped a drumstick onto Sehun’s plate and used a napkin to wipe his fingers.

Sehun stopped mid-bite and glanced at Luhan, who was leaning back on the wooden chair with his eyes closed. “Umm, sure?” Sehun dropped the chicken back on the plate and wiped his fingers. “Are you okay?”

“Just a small headache, I’m fine. Just continue eating.”

Sehun dug through his coat pocket and fished out his keys. “I think there is a bottle of headache pills in my car somewhere. You want to go find them?” Luhan waved his hand dismissively.

“It’s okay.” Sehun gave Luhan a concerned look before continuing with his meal. “I’ll be back, bathroom,” Luhan said, standing up.

“Kay.”

Ten minutes later, Sehun finished and paid for the meal. Luhan still wasn’t out from the restroom yet and Sehun frowned. He pushed open the restroom door and saw Luhan’s legs in the one closest to the door. “Luhan?” Luhan didn’t reply, but Sehun heard noises coming from Luhan’s stall. “Hey are you okay?” He knocked on the door and it opened. Sehun found Luhan kneeling on the floor, breathing heavily. “Oh god, Luhan.” Sehun pushed the door open wider and helped Luhan up. “I’m going to refrain from yelling at you until we get home.” He used his foot to flush the toilet and brought Luhan to the sink to wash his mouth.

“You really can’t take care of yourself,” Sehun muttered. He pushed the door open with his shoulder and put an arm around Luhan so that the other leaned on him. He walked out of the restaurant and brought Luhan to his car. He put the seatbelt on for Luhan and then fumbled around, looking for the bottle of pills. When he did, he gave one to Luhan along with a bottle of water. The other mumbled a weak, “thanks,” and swallowed the pill. Sehun watched his husband and took the water bottle away after Luhan finished. “I’m going to drive us home. Just tell me if you don’t feel good.”

~OoO~

“It’s almost like the guy likes you again.”

Luhan sighed. “Can we not talk about this, Minseok? He doesn’t love me anymore, and he probably never will.”

Minseok rolled his eyes. “Jongdae told me that Jongin came to the wedding. Knowing Jongin, he shouldn’t have caused you any problems, but I’m going to ask anyway. Did he do anything?” Minseok asked, changing the subject.

“He came up to me and told me to take care of Sehun.” Luhan stared out the window. “I felt stupid. What person doesn’t take care of their husband?”