Chapter 5

It's Complicated

Luhan picked at the ramyun. He had been eating this for dinner for a week already, and it had gotten a bit (very) repetitive.

“Ramyun? Really?” Luhan turned to the side and saw Sehun sitting on the stool next to him with the same bowl as himself.

“‘Ramyun, really,’ yourself,” Luhan said. He watched as Sehun broke the wooden chopsticks and rubbed them together. “Since when did you start coming here?”

Sehun shrugged. “A few months ago. I come here after work every once in a while.” Sehun pulled the lid off of the bowl and stirred the noodles with his chopsticks. “You?”

“Since I got my job. I got kind of lazy to make myself food sometimes and came here.” Luhan picked up another strand of ramyun and placed it in his mouth.

“I saw you here a few days ago,” Sehun said. Luhan watched as he inhaled the noodles and finished the bowl in 5 minutes flat.

“Oh god, you yelled at me for eating fast when I finish in 10 minutes and here you are finishing a bowl on ramyun in 5.” Luhan rolled his eyes and went back to stirring the soup in the plastic bowl. “You’re going to choke or something.”

Sehun used a tissue to wipe his mouth. “I haven’t died yet, Luhan-sshi. You don’t have to worry about me. Remember the ‘personal life’ spiel?”

Luhan suddenly felt stupid. How could he forget that they were just acting? Luhan continued to eat his ramyun. “Do you want a ride home?” Luhan shook his head.

“I’m fine. I wouldn’t want to barge into your personal life.” Somehow, his voice came out colder than he intended it to be.

Sehun shrugged. “Bye then.” Sehun stood up and threw the empty bowl and his chopsticks away. Luhan continued to eat, and ignored the other. He saw Sehun walk past the glass window and into his car. Luhan sighed and looked back at the bowl, which was half eaten. He picked up another strand and groaned. “They’re all bloated...” Luhan sighed and threw the bowl and his chopsticks away.

“Thanks Ahjumma!”

“Bye Luhan!”

Luhan left the store and walked two blocks to his apartment complex. He climbed the stairs and then punched in the code to his house. Luhan took off his shoes and the lights. Luhan frowned when he noticed a pair of shoes that he didn’t see before. He dropped his keys into the bowl next to the door and gripped his phone. He scrolled to Minseok’s phone number and put his thumb over it.

Luhan cautiously tiptoed into the kitchen and found it empty. He checked the bathroom. Empty. Luhan was shaking when he reached his bedroom. He knew that whoever was in his apartment was in there. He reached for the doorknob and twisted it. The door creaked open and he stepped inside. The room was dark, and the only source of light was from outside. He could make out an outline on the bed and Luhan fumbled to find the light switch. When he felt it, he switched it upwards.

“M-Minseok?”

The other groaned and turned around. “Luhan?”

Luhan huffed and the hand holding the phone dropped to his side. “Why are you here? And how did you get in?” Luhan frowned and went over to nudge Minseok in the back. “Get off my bed.” His nose scrunched up in disgust. Minseok reeked of alcohol. “Yah! Are you drunk?”

Minseok made a noise and sat up from the bed. “Luhan?” His hand pressed against his forehead and he cracked his eyes open. “Who turned the room on its side?”

Luhan sighed. “You’re drunk.” He grabbed Minseok’s shirt and tugged it. “Get off my bed.”

“Luhan...I missed you...” Minseok mumbled, grabbing Luhan’s arm.

“What are you talking about? You called me over yesterday.”

“No,” Minseok said, waving his hand dismissively, “I mean that I want you back...”

Luhan frowned. “No. Minseok stop. You’re not thinking straight.” Luhan left the room and came back with a glass of water. Minseok pulled at Luhan’s arm, the water sloshing around and drops spilling onto the sheets. “Minseok!”

“Stop yelling.”

Luhan huffed and made Minseok lay back down on the bed. “Just sleep.” Luhan left the room and closed the door, ignoring the groans and protests from the other. Luhan took his phone and dialed Jongdae’s number, sitting down on the couch with his elbows on his knees. Luhan tapped his foot impatiently as he heard the tone ring once, twice, three times, and then it went to voice mail. Luhan sighed and dialed the number again. This time, Jongdae picked up.

“Luhan?” Jongdae sounded really tired and panicky when he spoke and Luhan grew worried.

“Hey, your husband’s at my house,” Luhan said, “Is there a reason he isn’t home with you?”

Jongdae cleared his throat. “I’m not home right now, Luhan...” he said, his voice quiet.

“What? Then where are you?” There was a silence. “Jongdae!”

“I’m sorry, Luhan. Can Minseok stay at your place for tonight? I’m not in a very good position right now. Can we talk some other time?”  

“But Jong-” Luhan was cut off by the sound of three beeps and the dial tone. Luhan stared at the device in his hand and turned it off. He tossed it on the space next to him and sighed, leaning back on the soft leather. His head was pounding again. There was a loud thump from his room and Luhan heard a groan and few moments later. Luhan stood up slowly, his hands on the table to steady himself. He made his way over to his room and turned the doorknob. Pushing the door open, he found Minseok lying in a pile of sheets, pillows, and blankets on the floor.

“Luhan...” Minseok whined.

“What happened?” Luhan went over to Minseok’s side and peeled the blanket cocoon off.

“I fell.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. “Minseok. I’ll give you two choices. You sleep on this bed and don’t wake me up in the middle of the night, or you sleep on the couch.” Minseok made a move to grab Luhan’s arm again and Luhan pulled away. “Minseok please!”

Luhan always knew to never get Minseok drunk. Different people have different habits when they’re drunk, and Minseok’s was being sentimental and sulking about his past. Luhan groaned when Minseok didn’t reply. Ignoring his headache, he pulled all the blankets, sheets, and pillows away and half-carried half-dragged Minseok onto the bed. By the time, Luhan had set everything into order on his bed, Minseok was fast asleep.

Luhan sighed and went to take a shower. After that and brushing his teeth, he grabbed an extra blanket and pillow and took them to the living room couch. He laid down on the soft leather and closed his eyes. Today wasn’t a very good day.

~OoO~

Sehun found himself not being able to concentrate at work that day. The papers on his desk, piled high, were of no importance to him. He only thought of Jongin. Nothing could faze him, not even when his secretary came in and told him that he had a meeting in an hour with the board members.

However, when his phone rang and he saw the words, “Boyfriend” on the screen, he dropped his pen and picked up the phone, sliding the green bar over.

“Jongin?” Sehun asked, his tone hopeful.

“No, it’s Joonmyeon.”

Sehun’s face fell. “Oh, hyung.”

“I think that I should tell you that I was sorry. Wait. I know I should tell you that. I overreacted. Sorry, Sehun-ah.”  

“It’s okay, hyung. I’m a horrible person to Jongin. I think I deserved a punch or two.” Sehun heard Joonmyeon sigh. “Hyung?”

“Sehun-ah.”

“Yes?”

“I woke up in the middle of the night and I heard him crying in his room. He’s hurting a lot. Don’t make it harder for him to let you go alright?”

Sehun swallowed the lump growing in his throat. “Yes, hyung.”

“You know what that means right?” Joonmyeon asked.

“It means...” Sehun let out a shaky breath, “It means to not do anything that would hurt him. It means not seeing him for a few more days...”

“Weeks, Sehun-ah. He needs weeks.”

“Weeks,” Sehun corrected. Sehun felt like he couldn’t breathe. “Hyung, I have to go,” Sehun mumbled.

“Alright. Thanks Sehun.”

Then Joonmyeon hung up.

~OoO~

Luhan was rubbing Minseok’s back soothingly while the other convulsed into the toilet.

“God, I feel horrible,” Minseok mumbled, flushing and standing up to rinse his mouth.

“It’s your fault for drinking so much,” Luhan pointed out. He saw Minseok’s face harden and Luhan cocked his head to the side. “What happened?”

Minseok spit out the water and turned his head to see Luhan out of the corner of his eye. “What do you mean?”

“You don’t drink this much unless you’re upset. Hell, you don’t even drink that much.”

Minseok turned around and leaned back on the sink. His arms were crossed on his chest and he chewed on the inside of his mouth. “We had a fight.”

Luhan’s eyes widened. “You and Jongdae?” Minseok nodded. “B-But, why?”

Minseok let out a sigh. “He hasn’t been coming home for the past few days.” Luhan nodded, urging him silently to continue. “And I called him last night,” Minseok’s voice began to falter, “and he said he couldn’t come home, again. I asked him why and when he wouldn’t answer, I blew up.”

Luhan sighed and pulled Minseok out of the bathroom. He sat Minseok down on the couch and sat next to him. “What’d you say?”

“Luhan...you know that Jongdae isn’t proud of his past right?” Luhan slowly nodded. “And you know that he might be the father of some child out there right?”

“Minseok, where are you going with this?” Luhan asked.

“I told him to leave me and go to his girlfriend. I told him that he probably hated me for not being able to have children with him.”

Luhan’s jaw dropped. “What? Minseok how could-”

“I regretted it the moment I said it, but I couldn’t take it back. I wanted him to know how angry I was for him leaving me alone and not replying to any of my calls or texts,” Minseok explained.

“But you still shouldn’t have said it.”

“I know. I’m a horrible husband.” Luhan was at a loss of words. He didn’t know what to say to comfort the other, so he sat in silence. Minseok’s hand grabbed Luhan’s and he laced his fingers into Luhan’s. “I feel so bad right now...” He sighed and leaned his head on Luhan’s shoulder. “I really don’t know what to say to him when I come home.”

“Just apologize. He’ll forgive you. He’s Jongdae.” Luhan smiled at his best friend and nodded earnestly. “I’m serious. He’s not the one to hold grudges against anyone.”

“Thanks Lu. Thank you so much.”

~OoO~

“We have to start planning the wedding,” Sehun said. He heard Luhan hum in reply. “So you want to me to pick you up?”

“I’ll drive over.”

“Okay.” Then, Sehun hung up. He stuffed the phone into his pocket and stared at his parents. “He said he’ll be coming over soon.”

His mother gave him a pointed look. “You should have offered to drive him here, Sehun.”

“I did.”

“Well then you should have made him say ‘yes.’”

Sehun shut up, knowing it was futile to argue with his mother. Instead, he leaned back and played with a pillow on the sofa.

“Sehun, did you end it with Jongin yet?”

Sehun glanced up at his father, who was staring at him with a piercing gaze.

“Yes,” he mumbled. Sehun wished he didn’t see his father’s happy expression.

~OoO~

“So nothing big, just close friends, family, and a few business partners. It should add up to about a hundred or so people.” The wedding planner, whose name was Mikyung, jotted down notes onto her legal pad and then bit the cap of the pen. “Anything else you want to go through today? We have another meeting scheduled... two days from now.” There was no answer. “Okay, see you two days from now.” She stood up and gathered her books, and pens. She was led to the door by Luhan’s and Sehun’s mothers.

“Alright. You two are free for the rest of today,” Sehun’s father said. Sehun bolted out of the room and Luhan slowly stood up. He bowed to the older man and left the room. He met his mother in the doorway and the two left.

“Luhan, how was that?”

Luhan turned and faced his mother, with a fake smile on his face. “That was actually a bit fun,” he lied. In the middle of it all, he really felt like he wanted to just lie down and sleep (and he partially blamed the sofas for being so effing soft).

“Luhan you don’t have to lie to me. I’m your mother. I can tell.”

Luhan’s smile dropped from his face. He let out a cough and steadied both hands on the steering wheel.

“Luhan.”

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry.”

Luhan swore that he almost ran a red light when he heard that. “Huh?”

“I said I’m sorry,” his mother repeated.

Luhan let out an awkward laugh. “Omma, why are you suddenly apologizing?”

He heard his mother sigh. “All these years, though you were my real son, all I’ve been worrying about is Yifan. I’m sorry for that, and for putting you through this marriage.”

“Omma, it’s okay. You have more important things to do than to worry about me all day long. I’m fine. And about this wedding? It was a surprise at first, but I’m okay with it now.” Luhan put on what he thought was the most convincing smile he ever had. “Really.”

His mother gave him a small smile back. “Eyes on the road Luhan.”

Luhan let out a small laugh. “Okay, omma.”