Chapter 16

It's Complicated

“Why are you taking me with you? I don’t want to go!” Luhan threw a pillow in the direction of Sehun’s voice while pressing his head closer to the pillow his head on laid on.

“Just come alright?”

“No, Sehun. Let me sleep. It’s a Saturday, and the kids have been driving me insane,” Luhan mumbled. He heard Sehun mumbled something and then the blanket was pulled off his body. “God damn it Sehun!”

“Luhan please,” Sehun pleaded.

Luhan took the pillow from under his head and flung it at Sehun. “Just because you chose to go to some party an old, balding guy is hosting does not give you the right to drag me along.” He cracked open one eye and glared at Sehun. “I’m not going.” When Sehun disappeared from the foot of the bed, Luhan smiled victoriously to himself.

Then he felt something prod his side. Fingers poked at his feet and neck and Luhan’s eyes snapped open, emitting a girlish squeal that was so not Luhan. “What the actual ! Stop tickling me you bastard!”

“Come with me please?”

“No!” Luhan attempted to swat Sehun’s hands away, but the other only pressed his fingers harder into Luhan’s waist. “Sehun, stop it!” He shifted his body and aimed a kick at Sehun’s legs. “I’m not going!” He kicked Sehun once and the other let out a grunt of pain, but continued to tickle Luhan’s side. Luhan kicked again and this time, he fell off the bed, the force of his kick pushing him overboard.

“, Luhan are you okay?” From the floor, Luhan saw Sehun’s head peek over and scan his body.

“Are you going to keep tickling me?” Luhan asked. Sehun slowly shook his head. “Then I’m fine.” Luhan pushed himself off the ground and rubbed his arm. His face was scrunched up in displeasure, but he stood up from the floor and untangled his limbs from the blanket.

“So are you coming?” Sehun asked Luhan as the other started walking to the bathroom.

“For goodness sakes, no!”

~OoO~

“Luhan, I need someone to come with me,” Sehun begged. He saw Luhan roll his eyes.

“Go find someone else to go with you,” Luhan said, typing on his laptop.

“I need you to come with me,” Sehun whined. Out of the corner of Luhan’s eye, he saw Sehun’s lower lip curl into a small pout and his eyes doing that puppy thing that made all of Luhan’s tenacity to crumble into smithereens.

“Oh, alright!” Luhan yelled, exasperated.

Sehun’s lips curled into a small smile. Luhan could never go against that face.

~OoO~

 “You look nice,” Sehun said. Nice wasn’t even the word for it. Luhan was stunning. But of course, Sehun couldn’t say that. What would Luhan think?

“I try very hard,” Luhan retorted sarcastically. Sehun rolled his eyes and brought him to the car. “Can we be home before 12?” Luhan asked, buckling his seatbelt.

“Sure.” Sehun drove out of the driveway and down the street. For a few minutes, the atmosphere inside the car was quiet yet relaxed. It wasn’t until Sehun spoke did that disappear. “Luhan?” he asked.

“What?” Luhan glanced at his husband and blinked.

“Jongin’s going to be there, along with his brothers.” Luhan’s back stiffened. After his encounter with Jongin a few days ago, he didn’t want to see the other for as long as possible, preferably forever. “Luhan? Something wrong?” Sehun asked, glancing at Luhan’s side profile. Luhan shook his head. “Are you sure?” Sehun asked again.

“Yea. I’m fine.”

“Hey, you never told me what happened a few nights ago. Why’d you wake up?” Sehun asked, his eyes still trained on the road.

“It was just a bad dream,” Luhan said.

“Want to tell me about it?”

Luhan bit his lower lip and shook his head. “It’s something I’d rather not talk about.”

He had dreamt about Sehun leaving him.

A few minutes later, when Sehun parked in front of the tall, well-lit building, Luhan felt deja-vu hit him. It was like the night Yifan took him to the meeting where he was reacquainted with Sehun. “Luhan, we’re here,” Sehun’s muffled voice came through the tinted glass.

Luhan quickly unbuckled his seatbelt and got out of the car. Sehun’s arm wrapped itself around Luhan’s body and held onto his bicep. They walked into the building, Luhan taking small, halting steps. He had an irking feeling something was going to go wrong that night.

“Tell me whenever you want to go home. I’ll make up some bull excuse to get us out of here,” Sehun whispered into Luhan’s ear.

Luhan smiled and shook his head. “I’ll go when your business is over. Don’t want to seem rude in front of the others.”

Sehun smirked and rubbed Luhan’s arm once before letting go. He led Luhan to a business partner and his wife and introduced him. There were greetings, jokes, and business talks before moving onto another person. Then the cycle repeated. Only ten minutes passed, but Luhan was already tired of the routine. Halfway through the party, Sehun excused himself to go to the bathroom. Luhan stood awkwardly by himself by the food table and nibbled on small crackers meant to be eaten with cheese. He stood up on his tiptoes and scanned the crowd for his husband and did not see Sehun anywhere. The one sole reason Luhan hated going to parties such as these were because he was reminded that he was not number one, but the second place in the family. And it was because older women gave him scrutinizing looks while the younger ones would eye him like he was candy. Even middle aged, balding men tried to flirt with him. It was disgusting.

After a few more minutes of useless searching, Luhan felt an uncomfortable feeling in his head. The room felt like it was spinning and Luhan’s face scrunched up in displeasure. He inched slowly towards the back of the building and found the bathroom there. He pushed the door open with the intention of splashing his face with water when he heard a noise. Luhan looked up and found Jongin and Sehun.

Kissing.