Chapter 18

It's Complicated

Umm...Surprise?


“I’m sorry.”

“Go away.”

“Luhan, I’m really sorry about this.”

“Go away!”

“Please open the door.”

“How many ing times do I have to tell you? Go away!”

Luhan sounded like he was crying again and Sehun hit himself on the head. “Idiot!” he scolded himself. Sehun could hear Luhan’s soft cries from outside the door. He screwed up big time, and he knew it. There was this guilt in his stomach and he found himself unable to sleep for the past few days without Luhan next to him.

Sehun stepped away from the door and retreated to his room, where he sat down on the bed, leaning against the headboard. How could he make it up to Luhan? Apologizing wasn’t working.

Sehun closed his eyes. There was so much weight on his shoulders. There was a loud thump and Sehun’s eyes snapped open. He jumped off the bed and ran down the stairs to find Luhan pulling a suitcase from the storage closet. Luhan. From Sehun’s point of view, he seemed normal, but Sehun knew better. Luhan’s eyes were probably red and puffy from the tears and Sehun was pretty sure he was starving himself for the past few days.

“What are you doing?” Sehun dared to ask. Luhan said nothing. He bent down to stack the fallen boxes back in the closet. “Luhan?”

“Don’t talk to me,” Luhan snapped. “Remember the favor I asked you? Don’t look at me, don’t talk to me.”

“I never agreed to it,” Sehun said.

“Well you should!” Luhan dropped the box on the floor and the objects inside landed with a crash. He turned to glare at Sehun. “You don’t know how much you’re hurting me right now.” Luhan’s hand grabbed his shirt, wrinkling it. He pounded at his chest as fresh tears streamed down his face. “I did ask for this? Did I ask for a marriage to you? I tried getting over you, but nothing worked. And then you came back and my life became so much more complicated.”

Sehun stared at Luhan. He looked so wrecked, and Sehun knew that the reason Luhan was suffering so much was because of him.

Luhan continued. “You would be so bipolar and I tried to avoid you because you had already hurt me once.” Luhan was sobbing now. “But you made it so ing hard. And when you said adopting was fine with you, I loved you even more. Then you go and kiss Jongin and my world crashed. Do you know how much this hurts?!” Luhan slumped down onto the floor. “Did you know I never got over you? A year passed but the scars of you leaving me were still fresh.”

~OoO~

“I’ll be there to pick you up.” Luhan mumbled a thank you and Yifan continued talking. “You’re okay right?”

“No, I’m not. That’s why I’m coming to you. I need someone to help me get over this.”

“Luhan, I hope you know that it’s not that easy,” Yifan said.

“But it’s the only thing I can do!” Luhan almost slammed his phone on the table in anger but refrained. “I don’t want to stay here. I don’t want to see him every day...” he added.

“Alright. Omma agreed to this right?”

“I talked to her earlier. She said that if I think that this was the best thing, then fine.”

“Luhan...I have a question. It’s been bothering me since Zitao told me something.” Luhan was silent and Yifan took it as a gesture to continue. “He said you were attached to Sehun. Does that mean you love him?”

Luhan’s lower lip trembled. “There’s so much you don’t know about me. This is one of those things.”

“Han, what’s that supposed to mean?”

Han. Yifan only called him that if he was genuinely worried. The last time Yifan called him that was when he was fifteen and came home beat up.

“It’s supposed to mean that you missed out on many things in my life. I’ll tell you in a few days.” He could imagine Yifan’s lips pursed and eyebrows furrowed. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Alright. Bye Luhan.”

“Bye.”

 

“Why are you packing?” Sehun asked.

“Don’t talk to me.”

“Luhan, I’m serious, please answer me. I know that saying sorry isn’t going to make you feel better, but you have to let me explain!”

“What is there to explain?! You kissed Jongin. You don’t love me anymore, I know. You made it clear on the first day we met again, but I never took it to heart because I thought I could make you fall for me again. Turns out I was wrong. I was wrong!”

“Luhan that isn’t what I was going to say,” Sehun said. “Please let me explain,” he begged.

“No. I don’t want to hear anything come from your mouth.”

“Luhan please.”

“I don’t need you anymore. Go away.”

Luhan pushed Sehun out of his room and was about to slam the door closed when he heard Sehun’s soft voice say, “But I need you.”

~OoO~

“I’m sorry, I can’t leave the house.” Jongin heard Kyungsoo sigh disappointedly.

“Fine. I’m hanging up now.”

Jongin knew he only had a split second to make his decision. “Kyungsoo!”

“Hmm?”

“Are you mad at me?”

“What about Jongin?”

“The scandal. It’s been on the news for about a week now. Are you mad?” Jongin hoped Kyungsoo wasn’t. Aside from Yixing, Kyungsoo was the only person who spoke to Jongin nowadays. He never felt lonelier.

“I’m not mad,” Kyungsoo started and a small smile grew on Jongin’s face. “But I’m disappointed.” The smile disappeared. “I’m disappointed because you let him kiss you. And I know that it’s not my place to say this, but you should have stopped him.”

Guilt hit Jongin in a wave and settled in his stomach. There was this sour taste in his mouth and he took a deep breath. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’m just saying.”

“But you’re disappointed. I don’t want you to be disappointed.” Jongin decided it was now or never. Kyungsoo was probably the best thing that ever happened to him, aside from Sehun of course.

“What are you getting at Jongin?”

“I like you. Don’t you understand? I like you, a lot.”

~OoO~

“He’s leaving for China tonight,” Sehun said.

“And what are you going to do about it?” Baekhyun picked at his nails as he stared at Sehun with a raised eyebrow.

“I can’t do anything. He’s leaving for China.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “This is the reason why relationships with you don’t last long. You don’t do anything. You don’t make the first move, you don’t show affection, you don’t...you don’t do anything.”

Sehun knew Baekhyun was right. He was an idiot. But somewhere along the lines, he found fault in Baekhyun’s words. At one point in his life, he did make the first move, he did show affection, and he did do something.

“Sehun.” Sehun blinked and looked at Baekhyun. “Are you listening?” Sehun slowly shook his head. “Goodness. Luhan is leaving you because you made the wrong move. So what you need to do is make the right move.”

Sehun frowned in confusion. “Words I can assess please.”

Baekhyun huffed. “You screwed up. Now fix it.”

“But how?”

“Tell him. Tell him why you did it. Even if he doesn’t want to listen, force him.”

Maybe that was exactly what Sehun needed to do. Maybe he just needed to say it. Maybe he just needed to admit that he did love Luhan again.