Chapter 22

It's Complicated

“You have one chance. I’m giving you one chance. If it doesn’t work, I can’t do anything else.”

“I only need one chance.”

“You sound so sure of yourself. What if you fail?”

“I won’t. I’ll make him come back.”

“This is the problem with you. You’re so sure things will happen, but they almost always go the other direction.”

“Don’t say things like that. I’m like this on the outside, when on the inside, I doubt myself too....I’ve always doubted myself.”

“Then why do you act like this?”

“Because there was never anyone who cared enough. I put up a strong front so people don’t know how I really am.”

“How many times have you hurt yourself doing that though? How many times have you hurt others?”

“I lost count. But all I know is that hurting Luhan was my biggest regret.”

 

“I’m agreeing to this because Luhan’s hurting too. Don’t think it’s because I feel bad for you.”

“Thank-”

“Don’t thank me. It’s not for you.”

Sehun heard the dial tone and knew that Zitao had hung up on him. Sehun sighed and put his phone away. He stared at the picture hanging on the wall. It was his wedding picture with Luhan.

“I’m fixing my mistakes. Please forgive me.”

 

“He agreed and I’m leaving next week.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened. “He what?”

“Minseok agreed. He called Yifan a few nights ago, and I just talked to Zitao yesterday. They both agreed. I bought the ticket last night."

Baekhyun smiled and patted Sehun on the shoulder. “Good. Now you just have to fix everything.”

“But...”

“But what?”

Sehun fiddled with his fingers. “I’m doubting myself.”

Baekhyun sighed. “If you doubt yourself, it won’t work. You have to believe that he’ll follow you back here. And hell, if everything else fails, get on your knees and beg.”

“I-I don’t know, Baekhyun.”

“Just trust me. You’re trying to fix things, and he knows it.”

Sehun looked down. “He’ll forgive me. Right?”

Baekhyun nodded. “I’m sure of it.” He handed Sehun a coffee candy. “You still like these right?”

Sehun smiled and nodded. “I started liking them because Luhan fed me these every week.”

~OoO~

Luhan was doing the laundry when Yifan told him that he and Zitao were leaving the house.

“We’re going to a meeting and then out. We’ll be home late,” Yifan said.

Luhan eyed his step-brother’s hand around Zitao’s. “Hmm. Bring me back food.”

Yifan laughed and ruffled Luhan’s hair. “Fine.”

“You’re older than me by a year, don’t push it,” Luhan snapped. Yifan rolled his eyes as he pulled Zitao out of the room. Zitao waved at him before closing the door. Luhan went back to folding his clothes when he heard the front door opening again.

“What did you forget this time?” he called. He stacked his shirt on top of the others. “Yifan?”

There was no reply.

Luhan uncrossed his legs and stepped on the floor. “Yifan, is that you?” He opened his door and slowly peeked his head out. He saw a person standing in the entryway, taking off his shoes. There was a head of pink hair.

Sehun.

 

“Why are you here?” Luhan had his hands balled into fists by his side.

Sehun reached a hand out and Luhan stepped backwards. “Luhan?”

“I don’t want you here.” Tears were beginning to pool in Luhan’s eyes. “Go home.”

“Lu-”

“Go.” Luhan pointed a shaky finger at the door. “Leave.” When Sehun didn’t budge, Luhan pushed his arm. “Go home!”

“It’s not home if you’re not there,” Sehun said quietly. He stared back at Luhan with watery eyes and trembling lips. “Come back home.” Sehun’s hand gravitated towards Luhan’s and he hesitantly grabbed it. Luhan didn’t push him away. “Luhan, come home.” Luhan heard Sehun’s voice crack at the last word and saw a tear gliding down Sehun’s pale cheek. “Come back with me.”

“No.” Luhan eyes bored into Sehun’s. “I’m not going back.” There was a glint in his eyes, not anything that Sehun had ever seen before. “And I don’t want you here either. Get out.” His voice somehow came out stronger than he thought it would be.

Luhan saw the small spark of hope in Sehun’s eyes melt away, replaced with pain. “Hyung?” Sehun’s hand slipped from Luhan’s, eyes searching for an answer in the cold orbs staring back at him.

There was a pang of guilt when Luhan saw another tear slip down Sehun’s face. “Didn’t you hear me? Leave.”

Cold as ice.

~OoO~

Yifan left Zitao at his friend’s house and started to head back to the house. It was 9:34 and the city was brightly lit with street lights and neon signs. He walked up the few steps in front and then unlocked the front door with his keys. He stepped inside.

The house was dark.

Yifan heard a noise from the direction of Luhan’s room. He slipped off his shoes and walked towards Luhan’s room. The door was slightly ajar, and Yifan pushed it open wider with his knuckles. He found Luhan curled up in a ball in the corner.

“Han?”

Luhan looked up at him and Yifan felt his heart ache for his younger step-brother.

“I sent him back.”

Yifan stepped into the dark room. The only source of light was from the street light outside. It made the room a sickly yellow color. “And?”

“I’m not going with him.” Luhan wiped his eyes with his sleeve. “I don’t want to see him again.” He broke down in another round of sobs, the intensity of his cries racking his whole body.

Yifan swallowed the saliva in his mouth. “Luhan, you’re making things so much harder for yourself.” He scaled the room in a few steps and sat down in front of Luhan. He placed a hand on Luhan’s shoulder and used the other one to pull Luhan’s chin up. “You don’t have to do this to yourself.” Yifan used his thumb to wipe Luhan’s stray tears away. “He came here for you. He really wants you back.” He gave Luhan a small smile. “I know for a fact that he really loves you. What you saw was just a misunderstanding.”

A small, choked sob escaped Luhan’s lips. “I trusted him. I put my trust in him, and he broke it and stepped on it.” Luhan’s hand latched onto Yifan’s. “I want to trust him, but I’m scared. I’m so scared of him destroying my trust again. I just don’t want to be hurt anymore, is that too much to ask?”

~OoO~

Luhan woke up at two in the morning when he heard his phone ringing and vibrating on the bedside table. He rubbed sleep out of his eyes and picked it up. He answered the call without checking who it was, still half asleep.

“Luhan?”

“Zitao?”

“I found your husband dead to the world. Help me bring him back to the house.”

Luhan doesn’t know what overcame him, but the next thing he knows, he was running down the steps, shoes halfway on. He stuffed the keys and his wallet in his pocket as he hailed a taxi. He spoke in rapid Chinese to the driver and within minutes, he stood in front of the place Zitao told him. He found Zitao waving him over outside the closed building. Instinctively, he grabbed Sehun’s arm and steadied him.

That was when he noticed Yixing. “Why are you here?” he blurted.

“I came to visit home?”

“What?”

“Luhan, let’s just get Sehun back to the house okay?” Zitao interrupted.

Luhan sent Yixing another confused look before hailing another taxi. While Zitao bid goodbye, Luhan worked on getting Sehun to at least half-consciousness. “Why are you out at this ungodly hour?” he asked Zitao when they had seated themselves in the back of the taxi.

“I was visiting Yixing,” Zitao answered, but the way he said it sounded more like a question. “Why?”

“He’s Jongin’s brother-in-law, you know that right?” Luhan asked. He turned to face Zitao, who was sitting on the other side of Sehun.

Zitao shrugged. “I grew up with him. I knew him before I met you.” He pushed Sehun’s leaning head away from himself with a finger and Sehun’s head landed on Luhan’s shoulder instead. “I’m guessing you rejected him,” Zitao stated.

“You knew?” Luhan asked.

“We all did.”

Luhan sighed and looked out the window. “I can solve this myself, I just needed time.”

“No, Luhan. You were just running away from the problem.”

There was an uncomfortable lump in Luhan’s throat. He felt Sehun’s warm breath in puffs on his neck and swallowed.

“Luhan.”

“What?”

“You must hate him right now, but I know that inside you, there’s still that stupid, stubborn part that loves him.” Luhan felt Zitao’s hand on his. “And I think you just have to let him back in one last time.” 


This was supposed to be uploaded a few days ago, but I wanted to add more. Hope you guys are satisfied with this chapter! Please leave comments~

(And since we're almost reaching 200 subbies, I wanted to tell you guys that I'll try to write a special chapter for every 100 subbies. Is this okay for you guys? Do you like my fluffy as fudge chapters? ><)