Chapter 13

It's Complicated

“Sehun?”

“Jongin?”

Jongin shifted uncomfortably on his feet and pursed his lips together. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Sehun replied.

The air surrounding the two was horribly awkward until Jongin sighed and spoke up. “It’s a bit tiring acting like this. You want some lunch, Sehun-ah?” he asked.

Sehun mentally grimaced when Jongin called his name, but he nodded. “Sure, I’m free.”

That was how the two were found sitting in a small restaurant together.

“So how is living with Luhan?” Jongin asked.

Sehun sipped the ice water before clearing his throat. “It’s...it’s fine. He’s off doing his own thing, I do my own thing,” Sehun answered. “We have awkward conversations.”

Jongin nodded. He took a pair of chopsticks and gave them to Sehun then took his own.

“What about you?” Sehun asked.

“What about me?” Jongin thanked the waitress and turned back to face the other with a confused expression.

“Did you move on?”

Jongin let out an awkward laugh. “Oh. I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but I kind of forgot about you until I met you earlier. I’ve been out and about lately.”

Sehun felt an aching in his chest, but it was a smaller ache than he thought it would be. He thought that it would hurt more when Jongin said that he moved on. “I see. Is your dance studio still open?”

“Yea, lots of kids have been coming in. That’s why I’m so busy.” He smiled at Sehun before beginning to eat. Sehun stared at his ex-boyfriend. The other looked so tired. There were bags under his eyes and his skin seemed paler. Sehun could even see Jongin’s cheekbones. Jongin felt Sehun’s gaze and his chewing slowly stopped. He looked up. “Something wrong?”

Sehun shook his head and picked up his chopsticks. “Nothing.” He smiled at Jongin and started to eat.

 

“You did what?!” Baekhyun slammed his hands on the table, the plates clattering.

Sehun pursed his lips together and frowned. “I had lunch with Jongin, is that wrong?”

Baekhyun glared at him. “Yes,” he said, his voice dangerously low. “That is very wrong.” Sehun rolled his eyes and Baekhyun continued. “What if Luhan saw you and got the wrong idea?”

Sehun hadn’t thought of that. “Luhan isn’t that type,” Sehun said.

“How do you know? He could have changed.”

Sehun huffed. “Alright, I won’t do it again. Goodness.”

Baekhyun eyed Sehun before sighing. “I’m not telling you to not meet him again. You can do what you want, but I’m telling you that you should be on good terms with Luhan before you start getting all chummy with Jongin again.”

~OoO~

Luhan was doubting Sehun sincerity. He had seen Sehun with Jongin eating together when he was out with Minseok, and they seemed happy with each other, too happy in Luhan’s opinion. He didn’t want it to seem like he was jealous (okay, yes he was) but he was Sehun’s husband. Luhan sighed and took the apron off. He was trying to get his mind off Sehun by baking and it wasn’t working. Luhan washed his hands and dried them with a towel. He heard the door opening and noises coming from the entryway.

“Luhan?”

“I’m in the kitchen!” Luhan yelled.

Sehun arrived a few moments later. “What are you doing?”

“Baking,” Luhan replied. He checked the oven and adjusted the temperature dial. Then he stood up and looked at Sehun. “You’re home early,” he said. He spent a few seconds gauging Sehun’s emotions. There was nothing out of the ordinary, no guilt, no awkwardness, nothing.  

Sehun shrugged. “What’s the occasion?” he asked, nodding his head to the cake in the oven.

“I was bored,” Luhan answered. He began to pile his supplies into the sink and the water. Sehun left the kitchen, while loosening his tie, and walked upstairs to his room. Luhan’s hands stopped washing the mixing bowl and soon he was chewing on the inside of his mouth while the water ran. He felt tears burning his eyes and he blinked them away. How could Sehun eat lunch with his ex and then look at Luhan in the eyes? It might have been the jealousy talking, but Luhan found it offensive. Luhan glanced at the oven again and then continued washing the baking supplies.

 

“This is really good,” Sehun said through a full mouth.

Luhan hummed and took a small bite of the cake, his eyes glued to the TV. Sehun shifted next to him and Luhan almost dropped his plate. He made a noise and Sehun froze, mumbling a “sorry.” Luhan frowned and continued eating. He hated close encounters with losing his food.

“The event for the opening of the hotel is next week,” Sehun said.

Luhan the frosting off his lips and turned to look at Sehun. “That early?” Sehun nodded. Luhan eyed the frosting that was on his upper lip and his eyebrows furrowed. His reached over and used his thumb to wipe it away. “You eat so messily.” Luhan wiped the frosting onto his plate and continued to eat, ignoring the intense stare from Sehun. Because Oh Sehun was Oh Sehun, Lu Han couldn’t stay mad at him for long.

~OoO~

Sehun woke up feeling unusually refreshed the next morning. He sat up from the bed, groaning, as he rubbed sleep from his eyes. He squinted at the clock hanging on the wall and read the time.

7:15

Sehun put his feet on the cold floor and walked to the bathroom, scratching his head. He stared at himself in the reflection of the mirror. He the water and stepping inside. That was when he decided he was sick of blonde hair.

 

“Hey, I’m changing my hair color,” Sehun said.

Luhan stopped chewing his cereal and peeked at Sehun through his bangs. “Why?”

Sehun shrugged. “I’m tired of this one.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. “You’re going to ruin your hair like this. And plus, I like this color. It suits you.”

Luhan gave Sehun a small smile before going back to his breakfast. Sehun stared at his husband for a few moments before saying, “Dye your hair with me.” Luhan almost choked.

“I’m fine with my hair, thank you very much,” Luhan said, coughing. “I don’t need to dye it.”

Sehun gave him a look. “You don’t have to ‘need it,’ you just have to ‘want it.’ Make sense?” Luhan shook his head. Sehun sighed. “Just do it. We’ll make it some outrageous color so I don’t look like an idiot.” Luhan muttered something under his breath that sounded like, “You already are one.”

“What color?” Luhan asked, going back to his cereal.

“I was thinking pink.”

This time, Luhan coughed up the cereal and milk onto the table.

~OoO~

“What the hell?” Minseok tugged at a strand of Luhan’s hair and pulled it out, examining it.

“Ow!”

Minseok sent him an apologetic look but frowned. “Why the actual would you dye your hair pink?”

Luhan flushed. “I-I wanted to, that’s why,” Luhan stuttered.

Minseok raised an eyebrow. “Okay, you are a horrible liar. One, you hate pink with your life. Two, you said you were fine with the one you had. Three, Jongdae told me that he saw Sehun with the same hair color at the office this morning. Coincidence? I think not.” Minseok smirked. “You did it for Sehun, didn’t you?” he teased.

Luhan glared at his best friend. “Bastard.”

“I feel the love, Luhan.” He draped an arm around Luhan’s shoulders. “I love you too.”

 

“Hey, you sleeping yet?” Sehun pushed open the door to Luhan’s room and stepped inside. Luhan turned in his chair and found Sehun drying his hair with a towel, water droplets dripping onto his bare chest and the carpet.

“Put a shirt on,” Luhan mumbled. He turned back to his laptop and continued typing.

He heard Sehun sigh. “We’ve been through his conversation before Luhan. I don’t want to have to drag to bed again.”  

“Then don’t. I’ll go to sleep in a few minutes. I just have to finish up this passage.”

“Yea, a few minutes would soon turn into hours. Come on, Luhan, let’s go.”

“What makes you think I’m sleeping on your bed again?” Luhan asked. He momentarily stopped typing to hear Sehun’s answer.

“I-I just thought... Never mind. Just go to sleep soon okay?”

Luhan heard the door close with a click and he smiled to himself. “Ah...idiot.” Luhan reread what he just wrote, fixed a few details, and then closed his laptop lid. Turning the light off, he walked out of the room with a pillow. Luhan pushed open the door to Sehun’s room. The lamp was dimmed and he could see the faint outline of Sehun curled up into a ball. Luhan crawled into bed, lifting up the blanket to lay down. He heard Sehun make a surprised noise and turn around.

“W-What? Luhan?”

“Yea?” Luhan asked, putting a hand under his pillow.

“Y-you said...never mind. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Sehun.” 


If you have any questions about the story or just random stuff, just ask~! Much love~