Crossing Paths

My Disorder is You

Taeyeon was in a wheelchair being pushed by Sooyoung followed by Jessica’s parents with Jessica rolling a carry-on by her side. It was the day everyone was regretting but Taeyeon convinced Jessica to finish up her year study in America since it was only 3 months until Taeyeon would go over and visit her. Well she said it in a more cheesy way: “If we have the rest of our lives to be together, 3 months doesn’t seem that long does it?” Of course Jessica was still convinced the medication was working wonders on the older psychiatrist but deep inside, Jessica could sense those words came from the heart.

“Well baby girl you have a safe trip back,” Jessica’s dad gave his daughter a huge hug and a kiss on the forehead.

“Make sure you eat well. You are too skinny,” Jessica’s mom advised and repeated the actions of her husband.

Sooyoung walked up and gave Jessica a hug, “Don’t worry. I will watch out for her.”

Jessica turned to Sooyoung and looked her into the eyes, “Please don’t keep things from me. Promise me that?”
Sooyoung smiled, “I promise.”

Jessica’s mom saw Taeyeon looking at Jessica with loving eyes so she started to pull her husband and Sooyoung away, “We will leave you two be for a while.”

Taeyeon didn’t mind the other people, and continued to look at her girlfriend, “So you are leaving.”

Jessica walked up to Taeyeon and bent down to her level whilst taking her hand, “I can stay.”

Taeyeon gave a weak smile, “I know, but we both understand this is what is best for you.”

Jessica sighed as she squeezed Taeyeon’s hand a bit, “You make sure to come to me super healthy okay?”

Taeyeon laughed, “I will not make the last memory of me in a wheelchair for you...I promise.”

Jessica stood up a bit to cup Taeyeon’s face and kissed her with all the emotions she could transfer over to her lover before looking her back in the eyes, “I love you.”

Taeyeon’s heart fluttered every time Jessica said those words to her, “I am hearing that from you so much lately.”

Jessica’s face was still filled with worry as she started to caress Taeyeon’s face, “It is because the words are true. You scared me beyond belief this holiday and I felt like I would regret not having you know how I truly felt for you.”

Taeyeon leaned forward a bit to capture Jessica’s lips in a short kiss, “I love you too.”

Jessica stood back up and took Taeyeon’s other hand, “I am going to miss you.”

Taeyeon took Jessica’s right hand and held it up to her lips to kiss it, “We can do 3 months apart. It won’t be that bad.”

Jessica looked back the security gate to see the time, “I think I should go.”

Right on cue, Jessica’s parents and Sooyoung came back, “Honey you should get going to your flight gate.”

Jessica nodded and gave everyone one last hug, except Taeyeon who got a kiss on her crown, “I will miss all of you.” With a heavy heart, Jessica took her suitcase and went through the security gates; bound to America.

---------------------------

“Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?”

“I do.”

“Now Ms. Sunny Lee, can you state in front of the court what Ms. Tiffany Hwang told you to do on the days following up to the accident?”

In detail, Sunny told the court of the surveillance cameras and other evidence about the monitoring of Taeyeon, how Tiffany and her tricked Nichkhun and Taeyeon into driving the cars that had the inflated tires, and details about Tiffany’s attempted harmful acts on Taeyeon (including the peanut allergy incident).

“Objection! There is no relation of this case to previous incidents regarding Sunny and Tiffany.”

“Prosecutor, please sit down. The defense is pleading insanity so such evidence pertains.”

“As I was saying, Tiffany showed a predisposed monomania when pursuing Ms. Sunny Lee in high school and college years.” The clinical psychiatrist reasoned, “All actions towards her present day target, Ms. Taeyeon Kim, matches a profile of someone with monomania.”

“Thank you. I have no further questions.”

“The prosecutor is free to examine,” the judge proclaimed.

The prosecutor got up and went towards the psychiatrist, “Now how can we confirm Ms. Hwang has monomania from the view of one psychiatrist? This disease is not common correct?”

“No it is not, but...”

“See! How are you to diagnose something you have never seen before or has no set guideline for a clear diagnosis?”

“Well sir there are only a handful of psychiatric diseases that have a “set” guideline...”

“So how are you to diagnose without a guideline?”

“Reasoning.”

“How do I know you are the best at “reasoning” this diagnosis?”

“Well you could go to another psychiatrist and have them examine the patient if you are not confident in my diagnosis.”

“Well how unfortunate that we do not have another psychiatrist here.”

“Objection! The prosecutor is trying to discredit an established psychiatrist. What is the meaning for finding another on such short notice?”

The judge tried to calm the court down, “Prosecutor do you have another psychiatrist to evaluate the patient?”

“Can I count?”

The court looked over to the woman in the front row sitting down, “Ms. Kim you are not set as an expert in the case.”

“Can I still give my testimonial as an expert? I am still a very well established psychologist that deals with mental disorders. How do I not count?”

“Prosecutor and Defense please come to the podium,” the judge asked so they could deliberate before deciding. “Ms. Kim you may proceed to the bench.”

Taeyeon smiled as she got her crutches to help walk over to the bench and sat down, “Ms. Kim do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?”

“I do.”

“Ms. Kim did you have an idea that Ms. Hwang harbored ill feelings for you?”

“Excuse me prosecutor but these questions are irrelevant to me as an expert in this case. I am not up here as a witness.”

The prosecutor sighed, “Okay Ms. Kim as an expert, do you agree with the previous statement made by the other psychologist.”

“I do. He is also very well known in my profession and has years of experience with diagnosis of mental disorders. I agree to the fact his reasoning for the diagnosis would be considered a textbook description of monomania.”

“How can you be so certain?”

“How can you be so certain she does not have it when two psychologists that are experts in their field keep telling you that is the truth?”

The prosecutor was at a loss for words, “I have no further questions you honor.”

---------------------------

“How does it feel to be free?”

“What do you mean free? I have 300 hours of community service to complete!”

“You should see if there are options at the hospital. I could use some company while Jessica is away.”

“So I am Jessica’s replacement?”

“No no I didn’t say that, but you should be thankful I got them to take the restraining order off of me so you can be with me now.”

“So cheeky Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon laughed as she was sitting next to her friend in the cab ride, “So what do you want to do now?”

Sunny sighed, “I can’t go back to my job after all of this. I was thinking of writing a book.”

“Oh? What about?”

“Maybe travel and life experiences. I don’t know. I was thinking of asking Soo for advice and such.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I think you should take it easy for now too.”

“Ms. Kim you may come in.”

Sunny went to help Taeyeon up and they both went into the doctor office, “Ah Ms. Kim it is good to see you again.”

“It is good to see you too.”

“I see they have you on the cane now?”

“Yes! No wheelchair!”

“You have several weeks before going to America. You should be good to go without the cane by then if you follow your training like planned.”

“Yes. I am to be very healthy.”

The doctor flipped through the charts, “I think we should also talk about your kidney. We tested those that came to us and no one was a match. We will put you on a donor list but since it isn’t that severe at the moment, you won’t be very high on the donor list.”

“I understand.”

The doctor leaned back in his seat, “I would start contacting family if I were you. We don’t want to have to wait until it gets to the point where you are number 1 on that list okay?”

“Of course doctor.”

“Alright!” The doctor smiled, “I will see you before you depart and give a final evaluation okay?”

Taeyeon stood up again to bow slightly, “Thank you doctor.”

------------------------------

Sooyoung was sitting next to Taeyeon, “You should sleep some although I know you are excited.”

Taeyeon looked over to her friend, “More nervous.”

“Nervous?”

“What if she changed?”

Sooyoung laughed, “You talk to her almost every day, wouldn’t you know if she changed?”

Taeyeon leaned her head back, “You are probably right.” Sooyoung nodded her head in agreement, “By the way, how is Tiffany doing?”

Sooyoung leaned forward to get something out of her bad, “Here. You can go if you want while you are in America.”

Taeyeon read the pamphlet, “Is it a nice place?”

“Yes. She will have good care there. Her parents are nearby and America has better mental care facilities than Korea. It is a good transition.”

Taeyeon kept looking the pamphlet, “Would she even want to see me if I came?”

“She knows me and her parents. Tiffany still doesn’t see herself having a problem, but her memory is fine.”

“She must be angry at me...”

“You never know Tae. Just one visit would help you understand where she is at in the treatment too.”

“Can I go with you?”

“Of course. Just message me when you are not busy with Jessica. I will take you over okay?”

Taeyeon nodded, “I think I should get some sleep on this ride.”

------------------------------

Jessica waited impatiently in the bagging area, “She should be here.” Still pacing around and looking at the monitor closely, Jessica didn’t hear the careful footsteps of someone approaching from the back. Suddenly someone pounced her back giggling.

“Guess who?”

Jessica turned around immediately and hugged the girl tightly, “Tae!” Realizing her lover might be hurt, Jessica released her tight hold and started examining the body, “Oh my, did I hurt you?”

Taeyeon laughed, “I am healed! Don’t worry.”

Jessica smiled and gave Taeyeon a more gentle hug, “I feel like I am dreaming every time I get to see you.”

“Well wake up because you have company.”

Jessica looked up at the taller woman with the suitcases, “Sooyoung!”

With a huge hug, Sooyoung started to laugh, “I think America makes people give hugs.”

“America is a nice place then,” Taeyeon said with a cheeky grin.

Jessica pinched Taeyeon lightly, “You better only accept them from one girl in America.”

Sooyoung started laughing, “Wow the threats start just after we land. Good luck buddy.”

“We should go.”

“Go where?”

“Sooyoung has booked the hotel. I will take you two in my car.”

Taeyeon looked at Jessica curiously, “You have a car?”

“Of course I do. I didn’t need one in Korea but here it is better to have one. Oh did you want to see my school today or tomorrow?”

“I just want to spend time with you,” Taeyeon answered.

“What about you Sooyoung?”

“I want to see the back of my eyelids. I am sleeping once we get to the hotel so you two do what you want.”

Jessica nodded as she helped the girls get their belongings into the car. They drove to the hotel to drop off Sooyoung and Taeyeon’s suitcases. Seeing as Sooyoung didn’t move from the bed once she landed on it, Jessica thought it was best to take Taeyeon to her university. On the way there, Taeyeon found every way to keep a hand on Jessica. She liked to hold the girl’s hand in the car and made sure their hands were linked as they walked through the campus, “So that is the main hall. I have 2 classes there.”

“Oh so nice.”

“Over here is the library and computer lab.”

Taeyeon nodded, “Do I get to see your dorm room?”

Jessica raised her brow in curiosity, “Why so interested in my room? You never once came into my room at my other university.”

“Just curious.” Taeyeon said shyly.

Jessica just nodded as they went to the direction of Jessica’s dorm. On the way, Jessica saw one of her favorite professors, “Ah professor Kim!”

The older man turned to greet his student, “Oh Jessica you are here with a friend?”

Taeyeon came out from behind Jessica and extended her had whilst avoiding eye-contact with the man, “Nice to meet you.”

The man examined Taeyeon carefully before taking her hand, “Ah um yes...good to see you too.”

Jessica was all smiles, “Well I will see you around professor!”

The man was in a daze as he watched Jessica and her friend, “Of course...in class.”

“I am sure we will cross paths before that professor. This is a small campus.”

“Oh yes...the campus is small.” The professor’s eyes never left Jessica’s friend.

“Okay. We will get going.” When the two girls were a distance away from the professor Jessica looked at Taeyeon, “I am not sure why but the professor was acting weird.”

Taeyeon gave Jessica a weary smile thinking, “I know why.”

 

 


Author's Note

I didn't get many comments on this story the last chapter so I went into a slump for a month. Readers feedback is one of my major motivators for writing so please comment and upvote if you can on stories. It helps me a lot ^^

On a side note: Catch Me If You Can was released and this made me so sad after watching this: Catch Me If You Can feat. Jessica Jung