Metamorphosis

My Disorder is You

Jessica flopped around on her bed restless. She looked at her phone but put it back down again, “I wonder if she even remembers me.” Again she picked up her phone and looked at the time, “She should be finishing class soon...maybe I should call.” Jessica threw her phone onto the bed before she got up and pulled some water out of her fridge. Once again she looked at her phone before carefully dialing the numbers.

“Hello? Jessica?” Jessica was surprised that it was answered in one ring but now she wasn’t sure how to respond to the person on the other line. “Jessica. Did something happen? Did you need to meet? I mean my class finished so we can right now if you want.”

Jessica bit her lower lip, “library 10 minutes.” Out of nervousness, she hung up the phone before she could hear the response from the other person. She knew the person wouldn’t reject meeting her but it seemed like the uncertainty would disappear if she didn’t hear the yes or no from them.

 

 

Jessica walked towards the library but halted when she saw a familiar figure under the street lamp. Although it had been 3 months since they last saw each other, it felt like she was meeting a familiar person. “Jessica!” The person got up from their seat and went to Jessica in haste. “Jessica did something happen?”

Jessica wanted to hug the person since it had been a long awaited reunion for her but she thought the other woman would be uncomfortable so she restrained herself into giving only a smile, “nothing happened. I um just haven’t heard from you in so long and now we are at the same place.”

Taeyeon was a bit confused by Jessica’s sudden interaction with her for no reason but it warmed her heart thinking the girl might miss her, “It has been a while. Sooyoung told me you went on a vacation with your family for the summer.”

Jessica and Taeyeon started walking through the campus, “Ah yea. Did you do anything this summer?” After she asked the question, Jessica mentally slapped herself for asking something stupid. Of course Taeyeon wouldn’t do anything remotely exciting knowing her personality.

“Unlike students who get off during the summer, us adults have to still work and I had to prepare for this sudden class they gave me.”

“How is the class then?”

Taeyeon smiled. She missed having these random conversations with Jessica. “I was nervous with the first class last week but this week was better. I just stand and talk rather than sit and talk like I usually do. Are you settled in well here?”

“Everything is fine. Class just started so nothing hard.”

“Roommate?”

“Nothing strange. She seems normal.”

“Ah so only one crazy person in the room.”

“Yah! What is that supposed to mean?” Jessica stopped and stomped her foot.

“I mean you did and are currently seeing a therapist who deals with mental disorders.”

“That is the past! I am not seeing one anymore and I don’t have any problems. Not then or now.”

Taeyeon looked at Jessica, “I am still a therapist and you are currently talking to me. So it isn’t a lie that you are seeing a therapist now.”

Jessica turned to walk away, “Fine! I won’t see you anymore if you...”

Taeyeon quickly stopped Jessica, “That isn’t what I mean. Gosh you can’t take a joke. Sensitive like always.”

“Stupid as always...” Jessica said under her breath.

Taeyeon heard Jessica’s words but chose to ignore it to avoid fighting with the girl who was clearly bipolar. Maybe she should add that to Jessica’s list of disorders? Taeyeon broke from her thoughts when she saw Jessica starting to walk again, “Umm why did you call me anyway?”

Jessica didn’t bother to look at Taeyeon as she continued walking, “No reason. Just had nothing better to do tonight.”

“So I am only needed now when you are bored?”

“Would you rather I not see you at all anymore?”

“No of course not. I mean you just calling me surprised me a bit.”

“You not calling didn’t surprise me.”

“I didn’t think you would want me to.”

“Why not?” Jessica stopped to look at Taeyeon again.

“I am not sure either. I thought you would be embarrassed seeing your counselor again and having to be reminded of your past.”

“You said we are friends so that is why then. Also, you were the one who dug up my past so I might as well face it again.”

“Are you making new friends here then?”

“Of course. It isn’t high school anymore. No one here knows enough to judge.  What about you? Are you still killing millions of trees with your over usage of tissues?”

“You are the only one that points out my problems so I can’t tell if you aren’t around.”

Jessica laughed, “I guess I will have to stay around you to make sure no more trees die!”

“You might have to then.”

The two stopped when they reached Jessica’s dorm, “This is where I live now.”

Taeyeon scaled up the building with her eyes, “You should probably head in. It is late.”

“Are you going to be okay walking to your car alone?”

“I will be fine. No need to worry.”

Jessica nodded before heading to the door, but before she could enter so turned around and saw Taeyeon still hadn’t moved, “Umm the weekend is coming up.”

Taeyeon tilted her head, “Yes it is.”

“Did you um want to do something? I mean I still don’t have many friends here and Yuri already told me she was busy. I mean I know you don’t like getting out much but maybe it will help you and such too.”

“We can. I have fewer patients on Sunday if you want to then.”

“Are you okay with that?”

“If you stop accusing me of killing trees, then I should give it a shot.”

Jessica smiled, “Okay. I will see you Sunday then.”
Taeyeon also smiled as she saw Jessica enter her dorm. It sounded like they were going on a date together Sunday but at the same time, she had to shake off those thoughts. Friends. They are just friends who seek the human need for social interactions.

 

 

 

Taeyeon stood outside her car pacing around in front of Jessica’s dorm. She was a little impatient since she thought Jessica was acting oddly bipolar these days. She had an increasing fear of Jessica ditching their plans together. However the fear disappeared when Jessica came out of the building’s doors. It was then that Taeyeon’s heart beat a little faster. Jessica wasn’t Jessica anymore. No...that wasn’t Jessica. She transformed. Taeyeon was now seeing a girl named Sooyeon.

 

 


Author's Note

I will continue.

I have lost a few readers but strangly I also gained some new ones? Thank you to those that gave me support to continue. I can't tell you how much it means to have readers like you around. Really. I write for my readers more than for my own enjoyment of writing. You are really my strength in over coming any mental block that comes my way.

Enjoy the story. I will be going on with it as I originally planned. The only reason this chapter is short is cause I was tired haha.