Walls and Boundaries

My Disorder is You

‘Taeyeon saw her door fling open which startled her when it slammed echoing the loud noise throughout her office. There was a girl with heavy eye makeup and blond hair. Her clothes were ostentatious but not in a way that made her look ty more like she didn’t give a crap about what people thought. Taeyeon didn’t know what to do when she met the girl’s icy cold stare but she mustered a smile while ushering the girl to take a seat on the couch.’ Taeyeon thought about the girl she first saw but that was Jessica. The appearance to hide what she was and protect herself from those who wanted to harm her, but what Taeyeon saw now was not Jessica. In front of her was a girl wearing light makeup with a sundress, but her clothing wasn’t the only thing that changed. The girl looked warm and welcoming with a bright smile as she walked cheerfully towards Taeyeon. Yes this was Sooyeon the girl Taeyeon tried so hard to find behind the shadow of Jessica.

“Hey doc.” There was no response from Taeyeon so Jessica went closer and waved her hand in front of the other woman’s face, “Tae...yeon?”

Taeyeon broke from her trance as she heard her name, “Taeyeon?”

Jessica looked down like she was ashamed, “Sorry...it was that you weren’t answering.”

Taeyeon started laughing, “It is my name. I am just used to you calling me a variety of things but never my actual name.”

“Fine I won’t call you that then.”

“No no! I like it. It is less formal than Ms. Kim and I am not your doctor so you calling me doc seems weird too.”

“I guess so...”

“Can I call you Sooyeon?”

Jessica’s eyes shot up and looked at Taeyeon, “What?”

“Well that is your name too.”

“I told you that girl is dead.”

Taeyeon sighed as she saw the cold demeanor of Jessica return, “She isn’t dead to me.”

Jessica was ignoring Taeyeon as she walked towards the car, “where are we going doc?”

Taeyeon grimaced when she heard Jessica return to her old ways of speaking and now not using her name. Why did she have to be stupid and bring Jessica back? “Just get in. You will know soon enough.”

With Jessica returning to her distance and stubborn ways and Taeyeon not wanting to upset the other girl even more, the car ride was very silent. However, Taeyeon saw a glimmer of excitement come from Jessica’s eyes when they approached their destination. The two didn’t exchange words as they entered the underground parking lot of the building nor did they exchange words as they stood in line for the tickets.

The two started walking when Jessica broke the silence, “Why are we inside on a nice summer day?”

“Too many variables when we are outside. It could rain, it could be too hot, we could fall and get dirty, or we could enter a crowded place but here it is always controlled, always clean, and not crowded because it is a Sunday.”

“I am not even sure why I asked...”

Taeyeon gave a small laugh, “Am I that predictable?”

“Of course but you should learn to go outside of those boundaries. Make me surprised for once.”

“Were you expecting to come here?”

“Not really but it is obvious to me now why you would choose to come here instead of enjoy the weather outside.”

“Would you rather we do something outdoors?”

“Not really. Like you said, it might get too hot. I like cool places.”

Taeyeon let out a light chuckle as they walked through looking at the creatures behind the glass, “You know I used to come here a lot with my parents.”

Jessica looked away from the glass towards Taeyeon in surprise. This was the first time that Taeyeon even mentioned family. I mean she still knew almost nothing about Taeyeon and her past although she did tell her about Tiffany. “Where are your parents now?”

“My mother passed away when I was younger but my father lives in America. I don’t really talk to him or keep much contact since he remarried.”

“I am sorry.”

“Nothing to be sorry about. Maybe in the past it was hard, but acceptance was what made me live my life as if my family wasn’t broken. I mean we all have change in our life, but it is whether we choose to accept that change or refuse the change that will decide our happiness.”

“I can see why you chose to be a therapist now. I think those that can help others well are the ones who had faced those hardships already and came out of it positively.”

Taeyeon smiled, “Then you could become a therapist like me one day.”

“I haven’t recovered positively.”

“I think you will.”

“What makes you think that?”

“Because I was your therapist and can see the change you refuse to see.”

Jessica tried to hide her smile as she walked away from the later but Taeyeon knew the girl was smiling even though all she saw was Jessica’s back. The two continued to walk through the building taking in the sights, “you know it is weird how the seahorse has the father carry the baby.”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon curiously, “Why didn’t you just become a biologist if you are going to give me a commentary on every fish we see?”

“But the seahorse is actually a hippocampus to be exact.”

Jessica groaned, “I think you come here more often than with just your parents.”

“I just have a good memory.”

“Do you think your memory is part of why you have trouble moving on and away from your past? Why your walls are secured?”

“Could be.”

“You are the therapist.”

“Yes but there is a saying that the doctor is the worst at treating himself also there is nothing wrong with me.”

“Acceptance is the first step in admitting you have a problem.”

“There would have to be a problem for me to accept then.”

“You know Taeyeon you are impossible sometimes...” Again Taeyeon froze when she heard her name break those lips. She grabbed her chest as she felt a rapid heartbeat and her fingers tingled. Acceptance? Was there something other than her disorder that she should be accepting?

“Oh look! Seals!” Jessica in all her excitement, reached out and took Taeyeon’s hand as they went over to the seals. Taeyeon watched as Jessica was fascinated with the seals not even noticing that their hands were linked and remained linked for their remaining time at the aquarium.

“It is only 2pm, did you want to go somewhere else? I mean you don’t have to spend the whole day with me if you don’t want...”

“What about a movie?”

“But theaters are dirty and...”

“What about your house?”

“What?! But no one ever comes to my house.”

“I could be the first and we both know it is very clean there right?”

“Yes but...”

“Also you would feel more comfortable there right?”

“Yes but...”

“What is the problem then?” Jessica said with her arms crossed.

Taeyeon sighed trying to think of an excuse. She liked her personal sanctuary where no other human had crossed since she moved in. It was like her safety net if life was driving her insane but Jessica wanted in. How could she just let her in so easily? No it isn’t that. How could she let anyone in?

“Taeyeon you can say no.”

Taeyeon looked up at the other girl. She looked like she was worried for Taeyeon and knew the girl was troubled by the sudden proposition, “Boundary you said...” Jessica remained silent as Taeyeon continued, “How do I know everything would be okay if it breaks?”

“You don’t but I can tell you right now that once there is a crack, it will break eventually.”

“What do you mean?”

“Taeyeon can’t you see all the cracks already? Why not just let it break?”

“Jessica you are incorrigible sometimes.”

Jessica just shrugged her shoulders, “Yet you are here with me.”

Taeyeon laughed as she entered the car with the other girl. The two made it to Taeyeon’s apartment but Taeyeon stopped as she put the key in the door to unlock it. “Aren’t we going in?”

Taeyeon looked at Jessica, “You know this isn’t easy for me at all.”

“I know...actually this is the first surprise you gave me.”

“What will you do if I let you in? Let you see me? Let you get past that boundary?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Taeyeon...when I said there were cracks, those cracks let me see what you are really like or were before the walls were put up. I already see what you can be and should be. I won’t see you any differently and I won’t back away from anything you will surprise me with.”

“Then I should let the walls break?” Jessica was about to say something but Taeyeon leaned in and pushed her lips on Jessica’s. Jessica and Taeyeon stumbled into the apartment with their lips still locked as they let their desires take over. It had been 4 years since the shoes weren’t lined at the door, 4 years since someone saw her hair detangled from her bun as Jessica reached out to release the band in her hair, 4 years since her jacket was not hung up as she let it drop on the floor, and 4 years since she didn’t care what happened as she let someone into her heart.

 

 


Author's Note

What did I do!!!! OMG! I had this last paragraph written since chapter 3 and now that it is typed....oh my! Little treat since the PV Divine was released. I cried when I watched it but here I give you a happy chapter.

So I was looking through the chapter statistics and I noticed that chapter 11 had about 200 less views than all other chapters....did a lot of you skip that by accident? I know that chapter 12 was updated shortly after that one (same day). Well...just saying, if you missed, you might want to go back and read it.

Other news...why there was such a long wait? Because your author went crazy writing one-shots: Our Little Secret and High Stakes. Also, my 30th story is going to be a taengsic one-shot! So keep watching me when I release that (trying to do something special since it is the 30th)...crazy to think I wrote 30 stories already haha!

As always, thanks readers! I am reaching 350 subscibers which is about 30 more since my 'not an update' post. Which means taengsicshippers are still here! Thanks for staying on the boat and liking my story!